The Doctor's Blog

Re:The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by tigress1_2u on Mar 17, 14 5:10 PM
ODE TO THE GRIFFIN EGG.

Here I sat playing today and low did appear and egg on my wheel.
All shinny and blue, not that I knew what egg were you.
I spun with a grin, I spun with a prayer.
That the egg would land up on top would appear.

Oh joy, Oh joy I got that egg and I only spent $400.00.
I quickly checked out that egg in my bag of goodies.
A griffin egg I said with a frown
And found that it was only worth a fifty.

Next time you will know what to do.
Don't go looking for eggs until it is Easter.

basmith12
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by basmith12 on Mar 17, 14 6:38 PM
Doc, I have been coming to forums to read your famous blog and smile each time. It is so nice to see how helpful everyone has been. This is my first game to post anything and have posted in other forum since but have to say my midnight castle friends are tops! It is frustrating at times but when you come here and see all the kind comments, banters back and forth, poems, beautiful artwork and everything else uplifting. It is great! Thanks for the smiles everyone. I noticed in another posting "another update?" that figgy49 is at level 22 and has completed 490 quests and waiting for another update. So there is hope! I am at level 20 (I think) I have three games going, so it is hard to remember. I am keeping the 2nd and third at a stand still for now and just trying to collect the items we need but so far, not so lucky but I play all day long everyday surely they will come! I am disabled and unable to work and these games are a life saver for me. I am mammaw #9386 and happy to accept any invites, cannot have too many friends! Happy gaming everyone, Doc I am in USA but would love to see your doggies as I am a huge animal lover, especially dogs!

[Post New]by llaurelwreath on Mar 17, 14 6:43 PM
Ken_TheDoctor wrote:The Doctor: 164744

Hi Duncan, thanks for your response: I agree whole heartedly that friends and the gifting is the best part of this game! I've already sent Dori a Phoenix egg, so if you are able to send her one, send something diferent!

I've been looking at the hidden areas that Whitebutterfly_54 reported in their post: I'm pretty sure that the one leading from the Archchancellor's Throne Room by way of the staircase has the potential to be a whole new room but the one in the Dragon's Tower looks like it is probably abother object chest. When attempting to activate it, the ring of stars highlights the large block in the staircase wall and not the top of the staircase. I could be wrong, and probably am: but if eventually there turns out to be a nother scene leading from this tower, I don't think that this will be it. Follow the instructions in Whitebutterfly_54's post and see for youselves.

No gifting glitches today: everything arrived safely so a big thankyou to everyone who sent things! The "flower-glitch" re-appeared again though and I must have lost thirty coins... Not serious, but mildly annoying. Has anyone lost diamonds because of this glitch? Now that would really be a pain!

I have a second game in reserve that I visit once a day and have not circulated the ID: I will not until I hit level 18 in my main one. All the same, someone has managed to send me a friends request, which I accepted... How did they find the code?

You don't need a code to invite a friend. If you type in a name it will bring up a list of players with that name and you can pick someone all of of them to invite.

The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by Ken_TheDoctor on Mar 18, 14 1:51 PM
The Doctor: 164744
The Doctor mk2: 176944

Wow! First was the fantastic artwork of the butterfly and now we have tigress1 2u's poem (or should I say Ode?) This blog is fast becoming the cultural centre of the forum. Actually, Tigress1 2u: your ode just about summed up the thoughts that flitted through what passes for my mind when I actually won the egg! Hopefully I'll eventually find a use for it sometime after the next update or six.

...and speaking of updates, I've read reports that the game runs out of material at, or about level 22. Now I am not complaining because I do not see this as a bad thing... Players are instructed to wait for the next update! This means that the game will continue: I have said several times before that I hoped that the game would never end and that the castle would become infinite... It looks like that's how BFG see it as well. So let's keep bombarding the forum with ideas as to how the game should progress and who knows? As it unfolds we might see some of our suggestions incorporated. As I have said many times: I Love This Game - the quests needed to get to level 176 are fantastic, or so I have been led to believe!!!

Next little complaint is that of a shortage of male Avatars... Now I realise that the current range reflects the demographic of the players, most of whom seem to be ladies: but please, BFG, ask the devs to give us a few more male ones or make it possible for us to earn the use of them... Okay, so the more observant of you may have noticed that "The Doctor" changes Avatars daily (Any Dr Who fans out there will have realised that this is my take on regeneration!) and I don't bother too much about the gender of the Avatar that I employ; however, many other male players will not wish to use a female Avatar, so please if any of the mods read this rubbish, could they pass the request along?

Today was another glitch-free day and even the flowers are behaving themselves although I am now starting to stockpile crafted items in my inventory: I'm on 17, so could some of the more gifted and advanced players offer a few suggestions of the things that should be stockpiled?

See you in the castle
The Doctor

awalkinglady
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,341 Posts

[Post New]by awalkinglady on Mar 18, 14 3:18 PM
I am keeping one of my games on level 17 where you have a quest for the Amulet of Challenge.....once you get into level 19, you will need a number of these....not sure how many but I just came up against another one!! So, I think I'll keep my level 17 game where it is so I can simply craft them and gift them to my higher level game.

Edited on 03/18/2014 at 3:18:46 PM PST

KittChaos
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by KittChaos on Mar 18, 14 8:30 PM
A Haiku

Turning like seasons
Total of Wands increases
Fortune disdains me

The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by Ken_TheDoctor on Mar 19, 14 4:23 PM

Thanks for the new update, BFG, the funny thing is I keep my updater set to manual but the update took place automatically... I'm not complaining I'm just mystified! I can't comment on the update yet as it installed its self between me closing the game and opening the forum... Ah well, BFG doth indeed move in mysterious ways!

I've been corresponding with a player from Germany who suspects that items have been vanishing instead of going into their inventory... They won't report it to the tecs because they can't prove that its happening, but this has got me curious. I can't say that I've noticed it happen in my games, but has anyone else? Have you earned, or crafted, items that have simply vanished?

This blog continues to become even more cultural, thanks for the Haiku, Kitchaos... I strongly suspect that it is a reference to the gift wheels on the crafting screen... Although lately I have actually had a couple of bags of petfood from it which is a great improvement on wands, crystal balls and those realy nice X's that I get regularly!

Speaking of pets brings me on to my new owl, which has proved to be slightly better than "Loser", my cat. I need a name for the owl... So please, I would welcome all suggestions! Actually I think that the appearance of the owl has made "Frog", my dragon jealous because he brought a chest back today that contained three diamonds... No wonder the little chap looked pleased with himself!

Thanks for the game tip, Awalkinglady... I hadn't thought to do play it that way, I'm sure that quite a few people will benefit from that one!

Finally, does anyone else talk to the characters on the screen? Or is it only me that is coming unhinged? Its getting so bad that I have actually found myself apologizing to the dead lady-vampire for entering the crypt and disturbing her rest... Well if I have learned anything so far in life its that you cannot be too careful when dealing with vampires!

See you in the castle,
The Doctor

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Mar 19, 14 4:29 PM
No, I have not conversed with any characters, dead or otherwise. I think you need to see a doctor. I'm usually too busy yelling at the cats (live) in front of the monitor when I'm doing HOS. Although, the Chamberlain does look awfully snooty and could do with taking down a peg or two.

[Post New]by llaurelwreath on Mar 19, 14 7:07 PM
A couple of times I thought I had something but it wasn't in my inventory when I went to find it later. I didn't document either time and I just thought maybe I dreamed it. I do seem to dream of this game and soemtimes get lost at work thinking about it. This game just kind of sneaks up on you and attaches itself to your brain stem. Wasn't there an old B movie that had monsters that did that?

I haven't spent much time in the forum on a game until this one. I lost myself the other night reading your blog and getting to know a whole new gang of people that sound like they might be fun to hang out with.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Mar 19, 14 7:21 PM
I talk to the characters in the dice game & to the wheel as it spins to get me what I want. Happens more often than not that I get what I want.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Mar 19, 14 7:21 PM
I talk to the characters in the dice game & to the wheel as it spins to get me what I want. Happens more often than not that I get what I want.

basmith12
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by basmith12 on Mar 19, 14 9:03 PM
admitting to all! Yes, I talk to the characters, shoot I talk to myself all day so this seems normal to me. I agree with the previous comment about coming here to see what everyone is doing and what the subject of the day is. I am somewhat skiddish of social media. My daughter calls me an "ole foegy" or however it is spelled? I mentioned this forum to her today and she says she is so proud of her mommie coming into today's world. Not sure if this is good or bad but makes me happy when I make her smile even if is a the cost of her making fun of her mother's old school habits. Guess the recharge is about up so back to the game. Happy gaming everyone.

The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by Ken_TheDoctor on Mar 20, 14 3:15 PM
The Doctor 164744 (level 17)
The Doctor mk2: 176944 (level 7)
The Doctor 3: 217815 (level 5)

Yes: I couldn't resist it, I just had to start a new game to see how smoothly the new update plays from scratch and it seems to go very nicely indeed. In fact I am impressed with what I have seen of the update so far. Am I right in thinking that the coin-drop bug associated with the flowers has been fixed? Several hours play and not a single coin drop has gone missing, Has everyone else found the same?

While on the subject of the flowers, the very first five flowers in my new game earned a diamond this compares well with my first game when the first diamond dropped at 730 flowers and my second game which is yet to see any diamonds at all. Is this a standard improvement, or was I just lucky?

Yes, the new update seems to have given us a version of the game that now runs very smoothly, or at least at level 17... I guess that I'll find out how it goes at the higher levels, although I am not looking forward to the multiple crafting layes that Awalkinglady and others have described.

There is one improvement that BFG/Elephant might like to consider for the next update and that is a randomization of the object earned in the HOS's not linked to quests... For some reason, probably not even considered by the devs, they always seem to give the same item which makes it difficult to craft things that are not actually required by the game.

As for talking to the characters... I am starting to get answers! But if anyone else goes down this route, I advise that they do not get my friend, Salty Took, to tell them his life story... Crafting the same thing 27 times will seem interesting in comparison.

See you in the Castle,
The Doctor. (all three of me!)

The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by Ken_TheDoctor on Mar 21, 14 1:53 PM
The Doctor 3: 217814

So let's end with the latest mystery... Just how did you get to level 360, Petr1? Come on, you are real, you gift people but according to my calculations; which are based upon the logarithmic increase in difficulty incurred in going from level to level - It should take about 450 years of continuous play to hit level 360! I thought that I was the only Time Lord who played the game!!!

I plan to give my blog a miss for a bit - now that everything is running smoothly, there is very little to comment on... I'll still be around but don't want to get even more repetitive and boring than I am already. However, when I've got something new to say, I'll fire up my TARDIS and head back to the forum

All the best, see you in the Castle,
The Doctor

Bedazzles
Clownfish
Clownfish
567 Posts

[Post New]by Bedazzles on Mar 31, 14 12:16 PM
Is there a Doctor in the Castle anymore???

I know you said you would take a break from your Blog...but we miss it!!! I think I finally found it on page 9 or was it 10?!?!? It was something to look forward to between HOS recharging!!!

I think others will agree we need the Doctor back from time to time!! Please tell us that Skull Pete hasnt put you in that Crypt so you can have extended convos with the other occupant!! Or that you are just hiding out in the Bow Figurine laughing at all of us trying to open it!

Bedazzle

The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by Ken_TheDoctor on Apr 1, 14 3:35 PM

Been off in my TARDIS attending to other matters, but I'm back now! Thank you for the vote of confidence, Bedazzles... I'll see if I can come up with something interesting for a change!

My TARDIS is tucked away from prying eyes, I landed it in one of the upstairs rooms in Salty Tooks Inn. If you think the Bar is bad, you should push past the Drunken Skeleton and take a look at the bedrooms. Folk are quite happy to be seen dead in the bar, in fact if you look closely, you will see that most of them actually are! The up stairs rooms are another matter so the TARDIS will be perfectly safe up there!

Due to pressure of time, I haven't been playing as much over the past week or so as I usually do and seem to be well and truly bogged down on level 19... Progress is so slow, and most nights I don't seem to be achieving anything. I've closed my second and third games down temporarily, but do intend to go back to them later. Any friends requests sent to "The Doctor mk 2" and "The Doctor 3" will receive favorable attention, but it may take time. Actually, with the Game running smoothly (Well done Elephant... See! You CAN do it when you try!) The need for a second game seems to have dwindled somewhat, although I do enjoy visiting the characters at an earlier stage in their development occasionally.

My thanks to everyone who has sent me gifts: I'm very grateful and will return the gifts as soon as I can... I really must work out a better system of record keeping so that I can keep a proper track on who I haven't sent anything too lately. I'm sure that I am not the only one that this happens to but I will try harder in future.

Elephant seem to have cured one annoying glitch: flowers always seen to produce coins these days and no longer seem to miss. Okay, so it always seems to be coins now: I haven't received a diamond since before the update... How about the rest of you: are diamonds actually rarer now? Or am I a victim of "the odds"?

No, Bedazzles, I haven't been captured by Skull Pete, at the moment, that late Gentleman is sitting quietly by the side of the lake with just the Monster for company... That thing still makes me jump if I inadvertently trigger it.

All the best,
See you in the Castle,
The Doctor,

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Apr 1, 14 4:30 PM
Hi, Doc, welcome back to Earth 2014. I've just gained the dread level 21 myself so will pass along advice you may not have run across yet in all the posts since you've been away.
Do not under any circumstances accept more than one quest at a time!!!!! At this point the competing quests can seriously foul up the find path and if that doesn't work you may as well join Salty in the not so happy hereafter.
Run through all the hos you can because you will be needing megacash to get through 20 and 21. LizzieK has done an incredible job of compiling what you will be needing in the future, and it will take roughly 40 runs through the hos each time you need the bow figurine.
Two problem areas seem to be working a little better. If you can see the airship arrive, you're more likely not to get pig food. Also, there are some very nice crafted items showing up on the fortune wheel. We aren't sure yet if they act like the eggs (have one in your wish list and you're more likely to get one on the wheel).
Stock up, stock up, stock up. Now we know where all those marks are going, into the bow figurine!
Happy gaming.

[Post New]by tigress1_2u on Apr 1, 14 6:50 PM
Thanks Doc.
I am glad that you liked my ODE TO THE GRIFFIN EGG.
By the way I got one on my wheel also.

Edited on 04/01/2014 at 6:50:50 PM PST

The Doctor's Blog

[Post New]by Ken_TheDoctor on Apr 3, 14 12:14 PM

Just a brief one tonight as I am due at work in a little under an hour for a nine to five shift (5 am, that is!)

Well done rosiebvt on gaining level 21! I'm about half way through level 19; so you are really motoring. I hope you were joking about 40 runs through all of the HOS's for every bow figurine... At the speed that I'm going at the moment that will be about 20 days....! I've just managed to get a "Butcher's Hook" out of the wheel of fortune and it only took an extra spin so I reckon that I was lucky! That saved at least two runs through.

I'm also taking your advice as to only tackling a single quest at a time: like most players, I've tended to work at all of the available ones simultaneously; but not anymore... Its "One-At-A-Time" from now on.

Thanks for the reply, tigress1 2u... Hope you can fathom out what to do with your Snow Griffin Egg... I'm still at a loss as to what to do with mine. I've left it balanced on the TARDIS consol... Its not doing a great deal at the moment, although that is probably not a bad thing.

I've started coming across other characters from Dr Who here in the castle... River Song being the latest. I pity those poor vampires if they upset her!

All the best,
See you all in the Castle,
The Doctor

[Post New]by tigress1_2u on Apr 3, 14 12:24 PM
Doc....Right now I am using it for a paper weight.

Go to: