Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Labyrinths of the World: Shattered Soul Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 10, 14 6:13 PM
Firstly, thank you, Tiger. I completely agree with you.

Tauret wrote:
Whether in print or in face-to-face conversation Language is a powerful tool and a potent weapon.

There is a huge difference between saying: “This game didn’t hold my attention” and “This game won’t be of interest to any intelligent adult”. The first statement limits the dislike to the poster, to the “I” person. It makes no reference, either overt or implied, to the opinion or worthiness of other gamers. The second is saying that no intelligent person with the maturity level of an adult will like this game. If this is the case then any that do enjoy the game aren’t intelligent or mature.

Saying “This game didn’t challenge me, even on the hardest setting” is different than saying “This game has been dumbed down”. Here again the “I” statement is limited to the “I” person finding the gameplay too easy. Saying a game has been dumbed down means that anyone who found it the right level of difficulty or found it too difficult, even on the easiest setting, is intellectually inferior.

This is exactly how I feel about the comments. To be honest, sometimes I feel embarrassed to admit I love a game that others insist is a dumbed-down game, and that a 5-year old can play - not that it will stop me from saying that I do love the game. But it makes me wonder how many of the reviewers who think this game is for babies will think me a moron. And that makes me feel a little uncomfortable to express myself here on the BF forums.

I don't go for tricky and difficult games - I played those a long time ago when I was into RPGs and Adventure games. Nowadays I prefer games where I can just glide through, enjoy the scenery and well-made graphics, the characters, the voices, etc. I enjoy lots of things in a HOG, but I don't like to stumble over difficult sections every corner I turn. It puts me off a game.

I don't think these HOGs have been dumbed down anyway. They have evolved enormously from the basic HOGs we used to know and play. There is nothing dumbed down about these games. Some HOGs are a little more exciting to play than others, but although the devs like to add the "adventure" title nowadays to the description, they aren't Adventure games, they are still just HOGs.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Sep 10, 14 7:05 PM
Valdy wrote:

This is exactly how I feel about the comments. To be honest, sometimes I feel embarrassed to admit I love a game that others insist is a dumbed-down game, and that a 5-year old can play - not that it will stop me from saying that I do love the game. But it makes me wonder how many of the reviewers who think this game is for babies will think me a moron. And that makes me feel a little uncomfortable to express myself here on the BF forums.

I don't go for tricky and difficult games - I played those a long time ago when I was into RPGs and Adventure games. Nowadays I prefer games where I can just glide through, enjoy the scenery and well-made graphics, the characters, the voices, etc. I enjoy lots of things in a HOG, but I don't like to stumble over difficult sections every corner I turn. It puts me off a game.

I don't think these HOGs have been dumbed down anyway. They have evolved enormously from the basic HOGs we used to know and play. There is nothing dumbed down about these games. Some HOGs are a little more exciting to play than others, but although the devs like to add the "adventure" title nowadays to the description, they aren't Adventure games, they are still just HOGs.

So with you Valdy! Me too. Sometimes my brain is just too taxed to take on anything too heavy duty, while at other times I go for the gusto. I too, love the way the newer HOGs have evolved and enjoy those things they have to offer and mostly for the entertainment they provide.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Sep 11, 14 12:29 AM
Yes!! to Tiger, Tauret, Valdy, and Biscuits for awesome posts that really resonate with me.

I'm an old arcade/adventure gamer, but at 64 with advancing Multiple Sclerosis, so I'm not as fast or capable as I once was. By necessity, I now pick easier games than some reviewers prefer, but the ones I pick are perfect for me!

I look for beautiful clear graphics, a reasonably good storyline, a high level of brain challenge but a very moderate level of physical dexterity (speed). If I get fun puzzles I can enjoy calmly working through, that's a real bonus. Heck, I can even live with the "helper" trend, if: (1) I'm not required to dress them up and (2) they are actually helpful in a logical way!

I've been here since 2008, so I recognize folks still here and still trying to contribute positively to what's left of the BigFish community since we lost ChitChatCorner. I appreciate their game-focused reviews and their other community-minded posts.

I come here for a much-needed break from real life -- because in real life, I'm praying I retain enough mobility to "mouse" and that my optic nerve holds out a while longer so I can actually finish all the games I've purchased.

Good luck and good health to all.

Edited on 09/11/2014 at 12:32:41 AM PST

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Sep 11, 14 10:09 AM
Everyone's awesome, everyone's mean. Everyone's good, everyone's bad. Everyone has a right to speak their mind, nobody has a right to speak their mind. This thread has become, literally, a Love/Hate/Praise/Bash Fest! THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION! Okay..so bash away, bash away, bash away all!

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Sep 11, 14 10:10 AM
Oh and I was wondering if it is possible to quote every single post here in one reply, then we can smush it all together and be done with it?

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Sep 11, 14 12:15 PM
Hi Twins!

I think you're right! Seems there are many who just want to argue for the sake of argument!

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 12, 14 6:18 AM
Thank you, Tauret!!

You have elucidated so much more succinctly and intelligently what I tried to convey above.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Sep 12, 14 2:16 PM
*sigh*

how many times has this self-same argument erupted?

how many times have the same players queued up on each side?

how many times have "the offenders" explained that no offense is meant?

how many times have "the offended" continued to take insult where they have been told none is meant?

how many times have the "big guns" come in to tell others *what* they should post and *how* they should post their opinions?

how many times has a mod come in with a warning or a total lock-up because this self-same argument has erupted again??

snapnhiss suggests we meet in the middle. doesn't that include not taking offense when you have been told repeatedly that none is meant?

here's a thought for all:

you cannot control how other people behave [or post], you can control only how you react to them.

you can find offense *anywhere* if you look hard enough for it.

if a particular poster's opinions bother you so much or you know you might see something you will take as an insult, then just skip that particular poster's comments.

i have never seen anything in an original review that i took offense to. it's only some of the later comments on that review that are bothersome. but, i have been around the internet for a very long time (since shortly after its inception) and i seem to have grown a thicker skin than many of you here.

no offense meant to anyone. just some observations and MHO.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Sep 12, 14 2:44 PM
@steve_san

re: your quote to PM button for, i'm assuming, adding quotes from the forum to a PM you wish to send to a member, you can do that manually...

the easiest way is to click the quote button on the post you want to quote and then copy ALL the text you see and then past it in a PM.
-or-
you can just copy the text you want to quote and then add (if i wanted to quote you, for instance) [ quote=steve_san] at the beginning and then [ /quote] at the end of the text, removing the spaces i left. i had to leave those spaces or it would show up as a quote!

if you want to quote without the person's name added, then it's just [quote ] [/quote ], again removing the spaces.

HTH

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 12, 14 4:07 PM
CathyCatfish wrote:@steve_san

re: your quote to PM button for, i'm assuming, adding quotes from the forum to a PM you wish to send to a member, you can do that manually...

the easiest way is to click the quote button on the post you want to quote and then copy ALL the text you see and then past it in a PM.
-or-
you can just copy the text you want to quote and then add (if i wanted to quote you, for instance) [ quote=steve_san] at the beginning and then [ /quote] at the end of the text, removing the spaces i left. i had to leave those spaces or it would show up as a quote!

if you want to quote without the person's name added, then it's just [quote ] [/quote ], again removing the spaces.

HTH

Thanks Cathy, I know how to do it (my real job is a software programmer) but as I described to the Mod it is a needlessly tedious process. If it was easier to do, hopefully more would do it and it would help to clean up some extraneous posts from these forums.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Sep 12, 14 4:19 PM
steve_san wrote:
CathyCatfish wrote:@steve_san

-or-

HTH

Thanks Cathy, I know how to do it (my real job is a software programmer) but as I described to the Mod it is a needlessly tedious process. If it was easier to do, hopefully more would do it and it would help to clean up some extraneous posts from these forums.

well, then, perhaps it will help someone else!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Sep 13, 14 10:48 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:I totally agree with the comment Steve_San made. To say a "game is for children," is not the same thing as saying "Anyone who likes this game is a child." A comment "My grandson said it's for babies," isn't saying "I think you are babies for liking this game."

If you can't see the difference, then, when you read my posts where I say "The puzzles are so easy my Border Collie could do them," you must assume I am calling you a dog!

It is not about the players. It's about the games. If you feel it's mocking, or take it personally, you need to remember that. Tell yourself, repeatedly if necessary, "It's about the game, not me."

I have never read a review or comment by the person most of you are referring to that was personal. The resulting replies have been personal, insulting, and a bit rabid at times. It seems to me it's become about the poster, not his posts. If it's the posts, then why don't other players get jumped on this way? Why don't other players get gossiped about on other sites? It's juvenile. Notice I didn't say the posters are juveniles, but the behavior is.

Hello... "freedom of speech"?
Goodbye bullying behavior?
What stood out glaringly to me since I haven't been looking through the threads lately yet happened upon this as I was looking at reviews for this new game... was that what is happening is akin to bullying. Picking apart someone else's opinion or critique of a game simply because it's not the same as your own opinion nor the opinions of those around you is not acceptable. We could ALL cite examples of how we are qualified to give our opinions [or not]; how we depend on gaming due to [fill in the blank]; how games "should" be this way or that way, however none of that makes for right nor wrong. This is ALL about opinions of games based on our own preferences [which are formed due to many and various factors].

So, Yes.. IT'S ABOUT THE GAMES .... as Dr. so in so says... it's NOT about YOU!!!

Have fun & happy gaming no matter your opinion [&we are ALL entitled to our opinions of the games [within guidelines] per virtue of BFG's generosity in allowing us to do so & no one has the right literally and as per those rules to dis other's opinions and critiques.. THAT is a fact, not an opinion.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 15, 14 4:24 AM
I think, personally, that this is one of these moments as Vaiya says, where we will simply have strong opinions, either of the tennis match net.

No-one has to hate each other. Let's just agree to disagree and put this to bed shall we?

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 15, 14 12:25 PM
Since you quoted me, Twinsoniclab. I'm really sorry for you that you are the recipient of insulting and even vulgar PMs. I've never had that happen, and long may it last.

Can a Moderator now please put a stop to this thread, because it's obviously causing a lot of hurt from the past that none of us wish to see, whichever side of the fence we sit on. And all of it, my stuff included, is so inconsequential when you think of what's happening in the real world.

Mods? Please?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 16, 14 11:47 PM
Tauret, the Boudoir opens when you have the Harlequin in your inventory.

Throughout the game you will find masks. With these masks you can buy things to decorate and furnish the Boudoir. The Harlequin will sit in the Boudoir, but is fully dressed. You do not dress her nor do you change her clothes. The closest you will come to adding something to her is buying a fan for her to put into her hand.

The Museum opens when you have entered the first world - of which there are four. Each world you have access to can also be entered in the Museum.
With the gold coins you find throughout the game you will be able to add things to the scenery in each world you find in the museum.

Hope this helps.

Edited on 09/16/2014 at 11:48:50 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 6, 14 3:08 PM
CathyCatfish wrote:*sigh*

how many times has this self-same argument erupted?

how many times have the same players queued up on each side?

how many times have "the offenders" explained that no offense is meant?

how many times have "the offended" continued to take insult where they have been told none is meant?

how many times have the "big guns" come in to tell others *what* they should post and *how* they should post their opinions?

how many times has a mod come in with a warning or a total lock-up because this self-same argument has erupted again??

snapnhiss suggests we meet in the middle. doesn't that include not taking offense when you have been told repeatedly that none is meant?

here's a thought for all:

you cannot control how other people behave [or post], you can control only how you react to them.

you can find offense *anywhere* if you look hard enough for it.

if a particular poster's opinions bother you so much or you know you might see something you will take as an insult, then just skip that particular poster's comments.

i have never seen anything in an original review that i took offense to. it's only some of the later comments on that review that are bothersome. but, i have been around the internet for a very long time (since shortly after its inception) and i seem to have grown a thicker skin than many of you here.

no offense meant to anyone. just some observations and MHO.

Well said! This should be required reading.

Go to: