Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

Re:This Game Is Extremely Offensive!

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Nov 3, 09 11:50 AM
RTR is Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst Agenais and welcome to the Pond

[Post New]by PinkDust90 on Nov 3, 09 12:45 PM
Honestly, people should just get over themselves!! Stop being so pathetic and petty. If you dont like the game dont play it!! Also why shouldnt there be games like this just because stupid kids might find it scary and sh*t??!! Not everything is about making sure kids are happy and everything is suitable for them!!

RickF
Minnow
Minnow
201 Posts

[Post New]by RickF on Nov 5, 09 3:09 PM
I just finished the game and can't wait for the next one. I agree the basic story is a bit macabre and there are a lot of threats by the kidnapper but NOTHING happens to her.so those of you that find this game offensive must not watch much television, go to movies or read mystery novels.

RickF
Minnow
Minnow
201 Posts

[Post New]by RickF on Nov 5, 09 3:11 PM
Hey I just became a jelly fish hope that doesn't offend any one

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Nov 5, 09 3:49 PM
Congrats on your morph, RickF!

lastoasis
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by lastoasis on Nov 5, 09 6:45 PM
Isn't cool how many people commented on this subject, some writing long paragraghs in support of their point? It's wonderful so many of us feel welcome to express our views, and argue in a cordial manner. It is the essence of non-censorship, and the free interplay of ideas, and feelings. I hope we can always have this freedom, both in our different countries, and here on Big Fish forums.

annetterider
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by annetterider on Nov 5, 09 8:34 PM
[b]I Liked the game, the only thing I didn't like was how it ended. I wanted her find out who what and why. Bring on part 2 is what I say. You see more disturbing stuff on the TV and at the movies.
More more more please.

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Nov 6, 09 10:34 AM
I, in no way, meant nor meant to intimate that any comments, either pro and con...should not be posted. I guess that I love BFG so much, and I try to take 'THEIR' philosphy to heart. They always want us to play nice. Now playing nice does NOT mean limiting speech nor does it mean censorship. Believe me..I am as opinionated as one can be... I just wanted us all to remember ... as we share our opinions...we remember to "play nice..". As an American, I am a strong believer in our Consitution...which means that all opinions are welcome! I never want anyone to lose that privilege. I was sort of trying to play peacemaker...and I don't think that I did a very good job of that...Sorry. Thanks BFG for your great games, and your wonderful choice of games for so many of us...
OnWI

tijhea
Salmon
Salmon
2,547 Posts

[Post New]by tijhea on Nov 20, 09 1:41 PM
sdurrie wrote:Even though it's a very scary thing to be abducted and experiencing it first hand is never desired by anyone, the game made this tasteful. But I gotta say... I thought it was sexy. The thrill of being scared by this particular scenario is a turn on for some people, even though they would never want to experience it for real. Good halloween game, that's all.

eeeh errrr... ummmm you lost me at sexy... throwing me in a locked trunk of a car.. and then taking me off to some creepy place... breathing or talking like darth vader in a mic.. threats to kill me... and watching my every move while I fear for my life, as someone sits back and gets a kick out of it...

Ummmm Nope not sexy... Nope not even the slightiest bit..

phychotic Yes.. Sexy Nope.

[Post New]by Blakeamaphone on Nov 20, 09 4:02 PM
The theme was pretty "ew", but I'm more irritated at the lack of quality control. Don't game developers have proofreaders and editors? I loathe misspellings, poor grammar, and inappropriate punctuation in any published, for-sale material. "You're" and "your" are different words that mean different things. I probably wouldn't have paid for the full game after being kind of sicked-out by the demo (I'm not squeamish, there's just something very "off" about this one), but even if I'd liked the game, I wouldn't pay for something the makers obviously don't take seriously enough to put full effort into. It's assumes that the users are stupid and not worth some time and attention.

tunaontoast
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,449 Posts

[Post New]by tunaontoast on Nov 20, 09 5:22 PM
While I think the original post was a bit extreme, I can understand the issue. This particular game was of no interest to me, so I just skipped it. For me personally, in the last few months there have been many child abductions in the news, none have had good outcomes and they stay in the forefront of my mind. I think this game hits a personal nerve. I would not ask BF to remove it, however, I would not buy it.

Blue_Phoenix
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by Blue_Phoenix on Nov 22, 09 3:39 AM
NONONONONO wrote:is it just me...or does the chick on the picture look like Bella? lol

First thing I thought of! Now, if the damn game would just load to play, then I might be able to participate in the heated debate and see what all the fuss is about. I pretty much only draw the line at rape. I cant watch it in movies (I run to bathroom and get sick but I have my reasons for reactions), so Id never get a game with that in it. However, if the game was proceeding in the direction, Id stop, even if I had bought it.

Demo should give everyone a good gist of what game is about. BF offers great selections and doesnt just cater to small kids... they cater to us big kids too! IMO, it's up to parents to monitor what their kids view anywhere. And if you dont like a game, as it's been said, no one is twisting an arm. I dont like anyone feeling offended and the emotions that come with that, but this world is harsher than it's ever been so not much rocks me anymore.

Good thing about this thread was to see ppl reference other games. Id love to try some but I dont see a number of them available for Mac. And if BF doesnt have it for Mac, doubtful I could find it elsewhere.

Aside- BF, GET THE GAME FIXED SO US MAC PPL CAN PLAY IT CAUSE IT DOESNT LOAD TO PLAY! CRASHES THE 'PUTER! thanks

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 22, 09 4:08 AM
As a journalist who has covered a loathsome serial murder case, I couldn't stand this game. Also, I didn't think it was that good of a game.

I also didn't like RedRum, although it was technically a good game, because it creeped me out.

But I didn't demand that BFG remove either of them from their site. I'm sick of a nanny state that doesn't solve real problems, anyway. Turn on the TV any day of the week and see sex and violence.

Ratings systems, IMHO, don't work, and I don't want more nanny-ism imposed on even my games.

If I see something wrong with a game, such as horrible English, spelling, historical errors,or tech errors, I'll say so. Games are products that are out there seeking to be purchased, and as such, are fair game for evaluation and commentary.

But I really don't want another customer here--because that's what we all are--deciding what I may or may not evaluate. BFG makes the business decisions of what to promote and sell. That's their responsibility, and their profits rely on their business decisions. That's what a free market is all about. You sell it, people either buy it or don't buy it.

I appreciate the OP's concerns, and those of all posters. I think that the OP had the right to post that opinion. That being said, that opinion, like all opinions, is fair game for replies. As long as people splash nicely in the pond, dialogue is good.

Really, I thought this game was not only poorly done, but was totally tasteless as well. However, others might like it. I don't watch "slasher" films either, but some folks do.

We're adults. We get to make our own decisions. If children are involved, it's up to the parents to screen what they encounter.

There's one game in particular that is totally ignorant about Native American cultures, but the developers felt perfectly OK with producing a game that shows their ignorance, and is, to me, very offensive. They didn't mind ripping off cultures and using cliches, let alone false, idiotic scenes. So I voted with my money, by not buying it.

And when I have time, I also vote with my comments on a game.

Again, I think this particular game is pretty darned awful, in many ways. But if you like it, and you enjoyed playing it, hey, it's your money, and good for you. Let's face it, the masterpiece RTR is pretty darned creepy and includes kidnapped and murdered little girls. I love RTR as a game, but someone else might find it offensive.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Jul 31, 10 7:50 PM
I just finished it... liked it. I like the dark games.. and they sell so while we are all entitled to out own thoughts and opinions.. I can pretty well guess seeing how they always are the top for games sold week after week, companies are going to continue to make them. I would think many would be happy to see no occult references lol...yes I'd rather see them over this.. but this game was sooo exaggerated it made the game silly and did not disturb me in anyway.

I also thought about 1/4 the way through that hey.. this might actually help me IF (BIG IF) heaven forbid (the odds are ridiculous anyway) I was ever in this type of situation. The opposite side and real point I think was that she was not a victim, she was a survivor!

All and all a good game, could have done without the lame repeated dialog too.. but I liked it and looked forward to the sequel... I'll always buy these over a happy snooze no plot HOG.. and I know some LOVE those.. which is why I would never post for BFG to stop making/selling/offering them either or any other game.

joannickle
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
45,038 Posts

[Post New]by joannickle on Aug 8, 10 12:38 AM
I am totally for parents and or adults watching their children and not allowing what they see as improper. But I am totally against censorship. That being said I also understand there are people who are incapable of sound judgement at any age. But I don't believe we can avoid there actions by censoring what we watch or don't watch. That must remain under the list of things doc's watch for and try to protect us from. I personally don't want to go back to a time when women were not allowed out without a guardian. Or the kind of censorship we see run amock in Iran and places like that.

Dear Tinor

[Post New]by omnii101 on Feb 19, 11 8:29 PM
The fact is there is evilness in the world and even if you were to get this game removed from BFG, kidnappings, abductions, rape and other victimizations will continue out in the world. I was a victim in the 60s of a madman and there were no games out like this before or during my horrific experience to place blame with. I do agree children should NEVER EVER be allowed to see anything of this nature! But I am a strong believer that it is up to the parents to protect their own children from these exposures and not BFG or me or anyone else. For adults, To repress every bad thing in world to keep us from exposure is called CENSORSHIP and that is UNAMERICAN and it goes against what the Constitution has provided to us and that is The FREEDOM to choose what I'm exposed to. Let me decide for myself what is bad for me please!!!! I played this game and I KICKED HIS **** and I enjoyed doing it!!! Payback is HELL plus I figure I learned some serious life saving techniques. This made me problem solve by making me combine all of my skills as a human being. If a person shelters themselves from all of the bad things in life they can't survive. If you are yourself a victim therefore making you more sensitve to the matter then maybe you should stay away, but for me I need to overcome and confront my demons. Just so I can be a stronger gal. Good Luck and happy gaming. OMNI

lovetoocraft
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by lovetoocraft on Jul 10, 11 11:51 PM
vicalana wrote: abductions are very rare

I have mixed emotions about many of the posts that I have read regarding this game, and I must divide my feelings into 2 categories: 1) Real Life 2) Fiction

In real life, this IS a terrible tragedy! However, whether we like it or not…abduction IS taking place right here in our own neighborhoods.

Far too many adults deny that abduction is a problem (see the quote from page 1 of this post). I live in a small community in Southern California where the FBI recently rescued 19 young girls (average age 12-14) that were abducted to be sold for sex!!!!! It breaks my heart and I want to spread awareness to ALL of you that it IS happening in your own backyard all across this country. If you want facts or more information, send me a pm and I will put you in touch with a non-profit organization that is doing their best to help these kids once rescued. Shockingly, many of the parents do not want their own children returned once they are found and rescued. Be observant and aware of all the children around you. Together we CAN make a difference. This is where our anger should be focused and not on fiction.

Abduction is real life and is happening near you! You want to be “offended” about something? Here it is!

This game is fiction…nothing more, nothing less. I believe that if you are “offended” by this game, then please take all that positive energy and get involved in making a difference to help stop the real life stuff and not get so worked up over a story that is not real. We need to put our priorities in order.

No on censorship!!! BFG is doing a great job! I love their games and will continue to play the games I choose to play. By the way, I loved the game for what it was…a game...an escape from reality.

What I find offensive is the girl actually DID the idiots laundry...now that’s offensive!

WTG OMNI! You hit the nail square on the head! Thank you.

Edited on 07/11/2011 at 1:12:25 AM PST

[Post New]by DarkSnowWhite on Jul 25, 11 6:42 AM
I just finished this game.... and just saw this post... I thought that game was good... But this post???

Erm, what part of 'IT'S A GAME'... did some of you not understand????

It's not a documentary, it's not a news report, it's not based on any actual persons experience from what I understand..... IT'S A COMPUTER GAME!!!!

If you can't differentiate between fact, fiction or actual reality vs virtual reality , then maybe you should stay away from any such possibly "Offensive" material such as this game, and maybe stick to looking for unicorns and painting rainbows…

Don't like it… fine, its your opinion… hey knock yourself out and be offended… but you don't have to play it… don't have to buy it.. it's really that simple…..

(Unless, of course you HAVE been forced to play it by some very creepy guy in a monks robe… then.. I TOTALLY understand the content of this very unfortunate, albeit slightly over the top posting… ;-) )

[Post New]by Kendall_20 on Feb 1, 12 6:53 PM
My thoughts are that this is a GAME....yes, it does have a "dark" side to it but it's not THAT dark....the guy isn't torturing Helene physically but making her find things as a way to escape or for her to remember....I'm well over 18 (43) and this is just another game to me. I understand that some do find it offensive, but there are others BF has that could be considered offensive (too many to name and/or remember here), so should they be removed? Of course not! Read the descriptions of the games, check out any screenshots and ask in the proper forums (like this one) your questions and get other people's thoughts. If it looks too dark to you, pass it on by for the next game.

YOU have the choice to get the game or not to get the game. No one is forcing you to buy a game that you don't like. Censorship has it's purpose, but I don't want it being used so much that we are reduced to buying "safe" games....Zuma Deluxe and other "fluff" games that are designed for 5 year old kids.......

Peace and Good Will.....

K

Go to: