Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by jodybd on Dec 14, 09 3:02 AM
terry1921 wrote:
terry1921 wrote:I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW DISAPPOINTED I AM!!!

I LOVED Ravenhurst and couldn't wait for the next one. When the big one came out..I counted the days until the club version came out...I bought it yesterday and played my heart out....only to find that the program glitched...I could not get Felix's Sketch...but didn't think anything about it. It just wouldn't come up...even when I went back and did everything POSSIBLE to do...then I took the Kerosene to the hunter's cabin...the second search wouldn't come up....OK, who needs potato chips? When I found all fo the students and tried to get the stone rabbit's head to drop the hammer just kept going back into inventory...so I couldn't go any fruther....

So, I thought it was perhaps my computer...so I downloaded it on another computer..new machine...new download...HAD THE SAME PROBLEM IN THE SAME PLACE..... I DON'T KNOW WHETHER TO CRY OR SCREAM!!

Edited on 12/14/2009 at 3:03:39 AM PST

[Post New]by jodybd on Dec 14, 09 3:11 AM
[b]How sad and disappointing. I also cannot finish the game, because of the 'Fish note' and 'potato chips'....but I do not want to anyway.
It is boring and tedious at best!!!
The download, (did it twice): choppy starts and stops, curser barely works particularly on the puzzles....no continuity...you are here, then there, then back here....WHAT STORY? Video tapes....just a waste of time....)even if I had been able to watch them and understand them as they also were choppy and distorted)...at least having the morphing items in the regular release would have made it more interesting...but then again...since the game never ran properly...
Big Fish...Love you...BUT you really should give everyone who purchased this game a freebie!!!

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Dec 14, 09 4:57 AM
Have finished the game. After learning how to read the walkthrough
and ignore the CE scenes & objects,

L O V E D I T

Thanks

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 14, 09 5:32 AM
jodybd wrote:[b]How sad and disappointing. I also cannot finish the game, because of the 'Fish note' and 'potato chips'....but I do not want to anyway.
The download, (did it twice): choppy starts and stops, curser barely works particularly on the puzzles....no continuity...you are here, then there, then back here....WHAT STORY? Video tapes....just a waste of time....)even if I had been able to watch them and understand them as they also were choppy and distorted)...at least having the morphing items in the regular release would have made it more interesting...but then again...since the game never ran properly...
Big Fish...Love you...BUT you really should give everyone who purchased this game a freebie!!!

You can finish the game, the fish note and the potato chips are needed for an achievement in the CE and are of no relevance to the normal version; i.e. they are just not in it. Same with the morphing objects - as stated numerous times elsewhere, they are tied to an achievement, so they aren't in the normal one.

And getting a freebie for a perfectly running game on my PC? Yes, please, but I guess that wouldn't be a wise business decision for . Sorry to say that but I guess your graphics card is more of the older kind - and that's not really Bigfish's fault...

[Post New]by Sussannahrose on Dec 14, 09 8:31 AM
Mmmm, when I played the demo, I thought it was going to be as good as RTR, bought it (didn't know about the CE) and now - without any help I'm done. Only bit I didn't get was what were the snowshoes for? I still had them left over at the end of the game. I would really love to get a game that takes more than a couple of hours to solve and finish, but enjoyable enough.

[Post New]by wwothew on Dec 14, 09 8:34 AM
I am disappoined in Dire Grove in comparison to Madame F and RTR. The puzzles were too simple and too few. Walk thru was MISLEADING (for those of us frugal types who waited for the standard version) The videos uninteresting and their significance to the relic puzzle could have surely been puzzled out in a more clever (and less spacious) format. However, this review is directed at the MCF creators and not BF, as I am still a fan.

[Post New]by andrewnotmatt on Dec 14, 09 10:20 AM
elle218 wrote:To all that are feeling betrayed. BF clearly states that there is an achievement system offered with the collector's edition. That is the morphing object challenge. The story and game play are the same. If BF wants to offer something more for extra money then they have a right to do so. When I have had real issues in the past (a game doesn't work because of my computer) they have been quick to respond and solve the problem.

Call my stupid if you want, but I believe that BF is not a nonprofit organization. We should all be so lucky to have the same helpful service from all the companies we do business with.

By the way, I bought the $6.99 version and am thrilled with my purchase. I have paid the same amount of money for other games I have enjoyed far less. I would be willing to bet you have too.

Keep up the good work BF!

E

But the "extras" attached to the CE aren't really extra's as in previous MCF games they have been core components. If the extras were something new that weren't already familiar to MCF players then I'd imagine that people wouldn't feel so betrayed.
I finished the 6.99 version in under 4 hours with no hints or skips, the game was too short and didn't have the atmosphere of previous games, it did feel a bit too flat although I did enjoy the storyline.

[Post New]by pratchettfan777 on Dec 14, 09 4:47 PM
I can't believe that this game has NO timer option.

Makes the replay less likely. While the game is top-notch in production the value the reward of playing again and again is weak IMO.

kelvy0303
Stingray
Stingray
4,533 Posts

[Post New]by kelvy0303 on Dec 14, 09 6:42 PM
Liked the game. Felt it was well worth a game credit. I got stuck a couple of times and looked at game forum. The tips there were just enough help as to not be spoilers. The videos were annoying and didn't really matter to gameplay. Cut scenes would have worked just as well. Took me about 5 hours to finish. And I'm not the sharpest tool.
As far as replay value, when I like a game, replaying it is a value in itself. And I do like this game. Thanks Big Fish. You've got a winner.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Dec 14, 09 6:46 PM
I have been a Game Club member for almost a year and have played all the MCF games. Like many others, MF, RH, and RTR were great games. I read all the hype about the CE and decided to wait for the $6.99 version. Either way,DG is a disappointment. I agree that the morphing objects should have been included in the $6.99 version. That is one of the features that makes MF fun. I got tired of going back into a hidden object scene for the second time and having to find some of the same objects, when there were more than enough objects in the scene to not have to duplicate things to find. Also, how was I able to microwave a piece of rotten meat before I was able to restore power, and have it look like something that could be served at a high end steak house? The videos did not seem to offer any clues that I had not already discovered in my own searching. Besides, if 4 students were on this trip, who recorded all the tapes. My theory is the banshee handled all the videotaping duties! Maybe the next MCF will be better

Zoppy
Herring
Herring
396 Posts

[Post New]by Zoppy on Dec 14, 09 7:11 PM
Why are all the great Hidden Object series games turning into lousy puzzle games? If I wanted a game that required sticking random objects in random spots I'd go to the puzzle category. But I don't. I go for the HIDDEN OBJECT games. I didn't even finish the full hour trial. May not even spend the money to buy the full version.

[Post New]by susanlydia on Dec 14, 09 7:33 PM
No way am I buying this one. Too much non-intuitive interactivity for me, lacking in hidden object appeal. Also- it's insulting to hear that only the watered down version is available at the game club rate.

BellaGirl27
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by BellaGirl27 on Dec 14, 09 7:59 PM
april445 wrote:I have a question for those of you who are comparing the two, in the deluxe version (which I bought) you can change the comments you get when you try and object on a hot spot. I believe it was encouraging, sweet, and sassy. Is this available on the 6.99 version?

Yes it is available in the 6.99 version. I think it's called attitude?
There are three choices...I picked the sassy one of course!

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 14, 09 8:40 PM
Now, after reading all of the comments and reviews of the $6.99 version, I'm not sure whether I should buy it or not. I enjoyed the trial but a lot of you seem really disappointed with the game. I was all prepared to get this version with my credit that I got today but I think I'll wait a bit before making up my mind.

[Post New]by waterbird on Dec 15, 09 1:31 AM
Downloaded and played it for 6 hours straight. .. I was home sick with the flu ( not the swine flu )) and this game made my day.. Great views and twists along with classic hidden object games. I loved it.. Please make more like this .. Thanks

[Post New]by jodybd on Dec 15, 09 2:54 AM
Laflamme wrote:
jodybd wrote:[b]How sad and disappointing. I also cannot finish the game, because of the 'Fish note' and 'potato chips'....but I do not want to anyway.

You can finish the game, the fish note and the potato chips are needed for an achievement in the CE and are of no relevance to the normal version; i.e. they are just not in it. Same with the morphing objects - as stated numerous times elsewhere, they are tied to an achievement, so they aren't in the normal one.

And getting a freebie for a perfectly running game on my PC? Yes, please, but I guess that wouldn't be a wise business decision for . Sorry to say that but I guess your graphics card is more of the older kind - and that's not really Bigfish's fault...

[Post New]by doxiegal5 on Dec 15, 09 4:26 PM
This is the VERY BEST game I have ever played!!!! Hope to find another this interesting. I wanted to keep sitting here playing and not stop to the end. But that wasnt an option. Everything about this game was a class act!!

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Dec 15, 09 5:03 PM
I played the MCF Dire Grove regular edition and also feel cheated. Been a Big Fish member for a couple of years and expect more for my loyalty to Big Fish.

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Dec 15, 09 10:09 PM
cche wrote:I have played it for about half an hour. Excellent design, however I really do not enjoy being startled and listening to screeching terror. Have bought it despite this, but I surely hope that the next MCF will take us in a calmer direction. I don't play these games to get stressed out.

Well the good news is that the screechiness was limited to a relatively small part of the game.

I have just completed it; roughly 6 hours in two very intense sessions.
Graphics are excellent, highly detailed and definitely create an appropriate ambiance for the story. H O screens were fun to look at, and reasonably consistent junkpile. Of course there is my favorite nit-pick, many useful objects seen and even found on lists that we don't get to keep. I know it is supposed to be a puzzle, but...

Path through the game was quite well managed, and interactive puzzles were good on the whole. The camera angle often left me feeling like the thing that worked shouldn't have been possible. It is really tough, though, to give good perspective through a flat screen; so I won't complain (much).

Transitions were VERY fast considering quality and detail. Someone really thought about how to make the game operate smoothly, and I GREATLY appreciate it. It would be bad enough traipsing back and forth through the icy cold without having to wait while each new scene loads. This will particularly benefit folks whose computers are near minimum system requirements.

Minigames were moderately tough, demanding more patience than thought, but again, kudos to the designers and programmers who took the trouble to make things work smoothly.

Story was very well done, presented through text, video and imagery. It kept me glued to the game. I also much appreciated the sense of closure achieved with the ending. Good work, authors!

Music was good, though possibly the weakest aspect of the game; our hero(ine) must have had a very nice MP3 player plugged into his or her ears to have music like that in this ice fest.

In summary, this game fully meets the standard set by previous MCF games. Polished, original, and a huge value for your games budget dollar. 8 of 10 on my personal scale of casual games. (There is always room to improve! )

[Post New]by queenofgames52 on Dec 15, 09 10:21 PM
This an absolutely awesome game . I really enjoyed playing it . The graphics are great and the sound effects are fantastic. It gives you the feel of being right there Storyline was very interesting and entertaining and at times spooky reminded me of "The Blair witch Project" . The music was sometimes a little annoying and loud, other then that a very challenging and interesting game . The hidden object games were pretty easy and fun to play. The puzzles were interesting and challenging. I only skipped one (the clock, it really frustrated and me so I skipped it) It took me 7hrs40min of game play to finish. I tried not to use the walkthrough to much, I wanted to figure it out myself and did pretty well. I am going back and replaying again to do better timing. Good Job BF . I hope there will be a sequel.

Edited on 12/15/2009 at 10:23:57 PM PST

Go to: