Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revie

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jan 14, 10 3:32 PM
My 2 p - just playing for the first time now - I have a LOT of games to catch up on (been on dial up for 8 mos & couldn't download any games...) any whoo...

Really enjoying this one - it's taking some time to play & that's a plus! So far no tech problems either (knock wood).

Can't weigh in on the CE vs non CE debate as I haven't finished yet so no access to extras.

Update: finished and for ME personally the extras were worth the extra money (ok - that's DIScounting the walkthrough you can't access until you've finished - that's just silly really). But I love Poe & art - so I dig the wall paper, original story etc.

Edited on 01/14/2010 at 7:58:11 PM PST

frostledge
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Review

[Post New]by frostledge on Jan 15, 10 7:18 AM
Waited for the $6.99 version to come out to play trial.... SO GLAD I WAITED! SOOOO not worth $6.99 to me. I wouldn't even pay $2.99 if it was one of the daily games. It was way too easy for me and such a disappointment. Graphics and such were great but no where near as good as DG or RTR as far as music and interaction. I see there's a CE for Sweeney Todd out in my e-mail today WITH a trial!!!! YEAHHH!!! Hopefully it's better than EAP.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revi

[Post New]by Howatch on Jan 15, 10 12:07 PM
Eoarod wrote:
Update: finished and for ME personally the extras were worth the extra money (ok - that's DIScounting the walkthrough you can't access until you've finished - that's just silly really). But I love Poe & art - so I dig the wall paper, original story etc.

You can access the walkthrough while playing the game; if you could not, I would certainly agree that would be silly.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revie

[Post New]by dlb628 on Jan 25, 10 5:19 PM
How do you access the walkthrough? I can't find a button for it in the game or in the main menu.

Edited:
I found Howatch's post on page 2:

Click on the word "extras" above the doorway on the right-hand side of the main menu screen and it will take you right to the strategy guide.

Thank you so much. The game needs to make that guide more obvious. I clicked repeatedly on the door. It never occured to me to click on the sign. I suspect the other people complaining about no strategy guide in this thread made the same mistake.

Edited on 01/25/2010 at 5:34:34 PM PST

Mwedel
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Review

[Post New]by Mwedel on Jan 27, 10 5:58 PM
I just finished the whole game, extra stuff included. It was a good game, fun, moody too. But I have to say, I really didn't feel that the extra material was worth the extra money at all. I'm glad that BF started the 3 game credit policy for collectors editions as it put me over the top for the month, but frankly, I'm not going to bother with any more collectors editions... just doesn't seem worth almost 3x the cost.

Mikki

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Jan 31, 10 7:29 PM
I just finished the game, and loved it. I rarely have time to sit down and spend hours on a game, so I didn't notice any shortness. That's not to say it isn't short if you have the time to play straight through, but if you're just playing 20 minutes here and there, I don't think you're going to notice the shortness. I really liked the hidden object areas and the puzzles. I would say that I was only disappointed with the ease of the puzzles once. The rest of the time, I was pleased, although if you like a really tough challege, this game might not be for you.

I was also pleased with the extras. There's several hidden object screens and several puzzles to solve. It's about the equivalent of having an extra area on the map to explore. I was very happy with this. I feel like it probably had the equivalent of extras that Dire Grove Collector's Edition had. Dire Grove's were just integrated into the game. I'm the kind of person who never wants to miss out on any part of a game, so for me this was worth the money.

P.S. I also really like the wallpapers. I didn't care for the ones in Dire Grove.

Edited on 01/31/2010 at 7:36:51 PM PST

Edith9
Minnow
Minnow
283 Posts

[Post New]by Edith9 on Feb 4, 10 1:25 PM
It´s a pretty good game for one credit, but I think that CE edition is not worthwhile. Too short for my liking.

[Post New]by akdana30 on Feb 4, 10 5:48 PM
I paid the money for it and was not all that happy with the collector's edution it toke me a hole 30mins to beat it so i am hoping i missed something. I opened the door and went threw it and did the puzzle on the wall and i quess that was it i really hope not i didn't pay that much for a 30min game

[Post New]by msbally on Mar 28, 10 4:37 AM
Dark Tales is a game that is really a game for beginners in the IHOG world. For me, it was way too easy. I played on expert mode right out of the chute and even though I didn't have all the help, or "sparkles", this game was very straight forward. I was really looking forward to a couple of days of intense playtime, however, I finished the game in about 4.5 hours on expert and felt totally ripped off. While it's true the game does have great art and music, I was bored with it about half way in.

I will stop buying the CE versions of these games. Like with many others who purchased the first CE, MCF Dire Grove, I was totally expecting way more game than I got. I am not really sure what I was expecting with DG but when all the hype came out about it, I thought it would be a game that would be above all others and maybe even the holy grail for IHOG. HAHAHA....I mean really....why should I pay the extra cash for a CE game??? I don't need or use the wallpapers or screensavers because I have a gajillion personal photos to choose from for free. Who cares that there is a strategy guide in the game and why should I spend $19.99 to read it? If I need a strategy guide/walkthrough because I am stuck, (which I only use if I am really, really, really stuck and that hasn't happened in a very long time with the recent games released) all I have to do is go to any one of many sites on the internet and get it for free. From now on, $6.99 is plenty for me.

While I will continue to play and buy my games from Big Fish, I just thought I would vent as I don't do it often. I am sure many will enjoy this game. I just wanted to say that everyone should just wait for the regular version instead of forking out the bucks for the CE version.

Edited on 03/28/2010 at 4:41:25 AM PST

[Post New]by degrassi02724 on May 19, 10 7:01 AM
I kind of felt as though this game was too easy, as are many of the others that I've purchased. I think the Mystery Case Files games were my favorite.

[Post New]by SmallMitsukurina on May 21, 10 12:20 AM
Middle-difficult game for me. Didn't like graphic style. Not "buy" for me

[Post New]by sarasotalady on Jul 5, 10 12:56 PM
Can anyone tell me how to use the pick axe to open up the stone on the ground? The walkthrough shows the Axe in the basket but it does not go there. Also, is there not a "help"/"Hint option in this game? Please reply to bhar184071@comcast.net
Thanks!

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jul 18, 10 6:32 PM
ember89 wrote:i enjoyed this one, and liked the extra game play that was set aside at the end as an 'extra' although it is hard to determine whether i enjoyed it more than little sprinkles of bonus fun added throughout a game.

as an experienced gamer, i have to side with the many voices that are saying this one was way too easy. i was pleased to have a challenge in dire grove, but i think we all knew it would be - how do you follow-up RTR with anything less? rue morgue is a totally unrelated piece of HOG fun though, so it has to be viewed as such.

i had no difficulties with DL or play, no problems opening up anything or going back and forth, no crashing... it seemed like just another game... except for the price tag. they had me at Edgar - i just jumped, thinking i really liked the conspiracy game and i love any game with a darker thread... i'm still miffed over drawn - should have let those guys take that kid, or thrown her off the roof myself... anyway...

and yes, i intend to be the little fish that swims to her own drum and occasionally take the nibble at a bright shiny thing-y as it floats by. but when it's a buyer beware world - what fins have you got to stand on if you took the hook in your own mouth? it's not like BFG took the money from you and gave you something different from what you asked for. you gave them the money, they delivered. not the right catch? well, watch out for that hook the next time around.

totally agree

wrbu
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by wrbu on Aug 6, 10 9:39 AM
I'm just a little jellyfish but I posted a request for help a few days ago and so far I've gotten no help. I do like the game and am having fun, up to this point and my only thought right now is HELP.

LikaLaruku
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by LikaLaruku on Aug 16, 10 1:42 AM
The art & character designs were very appealing. This game could have sucked beans & I still would have bought it for the graphics. Kudos to the designer.

LikaLaruku
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by LikaLaruku on Aug 16, 10 1:44 AM
wrbu wrote:I'm just a little jellyfish but I posted a request for help a few days ago and so far I've gotten no help. I do like the game and am having fun, up to this point and my only thought right now is HELP.

If you need help on any game, your best bet is to go to Gamezebo for the walkthrough & the actual developer's site or email Bigfish staff for technical help.

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Sep 5, 10 11:12 AM
I just finished the game, including the extra materials. In general, the graphics are beautiful but I found the game too easy, even when played in the more difficut mode. The game is all HOGs with a few (easy) mini-games thrown in. A notebook summarizes all activity and tells you what to do next.

An additional complication: if you have read the story (and didn't we all have to in junior high or earlier?), then you know who did what to whom and there is no suspense to the plot. The player merely plays through to a known conclusion.

The bonus play is not worth it unless you are a HUGE fan of wallpaper. In the bonus game, you explore Poe's apartment to locate game tiles to play a game to be able to access the extras. Again, beautiful graphics and easy, telegraphed game play. The bonus play lasted half an hour for me, and I consider myself an average player. It simply was not worth the extra money.

This game is great for players looking for a relaxing, not overly challenging, beautiful game. It would be a great game for someone who is just beginning to play HOGs. But don't bother with the CE. I don't think I'm going to buy another one unless feedback in the Pond tells me there is enough content to make it worth my hard-earned dollars.

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Sep 24, 10 6:26 PM
Many, many others have commented and reviewed but I wanted to leave my 2 p. Now bear in mind that I played these "backward" and played the Black Cat mystery first. I'm a relative newcomer to BF.

First the good; the graphics were gorgeous, very period appropriate details which is greatly appreciated. It was moderately hard but not hard enough to frustrate; very enjoyable and engrossing play. The music is nice and not overpowering, however I wish the music and the sound were separate so I could change the ratio a bit. The dialogue is just the right amount and I like the concept of the 'great detective' working with the player as an assistant. Two things in particular that I loved; the fish flopping in and out of the bucket in the kitchen of the restaurant was a hoot; had ma giggling like an idiot. Poor little fishie! *g* Another thing I loved was the owl door puzzle (lovely!) and the original variation on a door puzzle with the wolf head in the house.

Couple things I didn't care for; and this goes for most HOGs, why do most of the places searched have to be so frikkin' dark? There are some objects that are completely hidden in shadows which seems like a cheap trick to hide stuff within....could be better done. Other major problem I had was that sometimes the game would slow down so badly that it took forever for the dialog or the book to fade away and the scene to continue; I had to exit the game a couple times in order to stop that phenomenon.

Finally, I thought the story line and the ending was lame, not really worthy of Edgar Allen Poe; come on guys, would EAP have used an escaped gorilla finale? No. And where's the logic that the upper class Victorian mother of a young child would just stay on board a ship in the same room as her sister's murderer with a lowly sailor she doesn't know? Pul-lease; if you're going to use Poe's name, make the story-line at least as suspenseful as is the music, ok?

But all in all, a very enjoyable game. And the second one was a lot better in all of the aspects about which I complain about this one so obviously someone has learned a thing or two.

[Post New]by terrificter50 on Oct 13, 10 5:06 PM
I'm stuck, I have the Collectors edition and am in the bonus game, however, I am stuck and cannot use the stragedy guide cuz it says I have to finish the bonus game but can't cuz i'm at a stand still. Does anyone know what to do. I have a magnet, statue and cloth. Do I break the vase with the statue?? Please help if you can. Thank you

[Post New]by NANNYCHERIE on Oct 20, 10 9:40 AM
I don't know what gives on this game...I started out with no problems...then had trouble with the bridge...so I stopped was too frustrated to even play. So now it is weeks later and I am at it again. And again I had trouble at the bridge...so I went to the walkthrough to see what I was doing wrong. I am not doing anything wrong. I click on the left barrel to get the other half of the shears...they are supposed to apear on the ground by the barrel and they do not...so again I am very frustrated and wonder if the game loaded wrong. So please help me end my frustration.

Go to: