euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

Re:Your comments and reviews for 3 Cards to Dead Time!

[Post New]by euphoria on Sep 26, 10 9:02 AM
Just finished this (and the prequel) and have to say I loved it. If you're more into gameplay than a good story, you will not like this game. I was intrigued by the story, which was unpredictable and interesting, and appreciated that I had some "control" in which way the story went. (In the end, I'm glad I chose the adventurous P.I. over the wimpy boyfriend! LOL) Those who are skipping the dialogue and videos are completely missing the entire point of the game.

Some of the puzzles were challenging, but you are given many, many chances to "get it right," and can skip if necessary. And some of the items you're to click on are a little dark and/or fuzzy, but there are adequate hints provided (I never used more than two in a scene and you get four).

I'm hoping for another sequel and will buy it sight unseen.

[Post New]by wiclassact on Oct 2, 10 9:22 AM
This was absolutely the worst game I've ever tried. Watching paint dry is much more exciting than this game! Save your time and just download a good book to read... because that's what 3 cards to dead time is. More story than game.

The screens are way too dark. The mini puzzles are a joke... unless you have esp yourself to decipher what the designers were trying to go after, you have no chance of figuring out what to do.

Blech!

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Oct 2, 10 9:37 AM
Far far too much dialogue for me! It was interruptive & boring. When I d/l the game, it said I had 50 min to play..lol..apparently I tried it once before. Just not my style I guess. If I wanted to read I'd have pulled a book out.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Oct 2, 10 9:55 AM
I loved 3 Cards to Midnight. I always read everything in games if the story is good. 3 Cards to Dead Time has been on my "list of games to buy" since it came out. It's a definite buy for me as a daily deal! Frankly I was surprised that it came up as a DD so soon!

[Post New]by Columbia999 on Oct 2, 10 1:33 PM
One of the worst and most annoying games I've ever tried. I had to uninstall it after about 15 minutes of the trial, due to the constant blather and commentary, that wasn't possible to skip half the time.
Rotten game and I certainly won't be buying it, even cut price!

[Post New]by sheltie127new on Oct 2, 10 2:42 PM
Well I guess I'm the odd woman out. I neither love it nor hate it, or I love it AND hate, or really dislike it, lol. I love the concept of the word association, but I get really impatient with the dialog. I read faster than the character tasks. It wouldn't be so bad if the scene would end when you clicked the mouse so that those of us who read fast could move on.

I wonder if these games are a series...like a soap opera or does the story come to a conclusion at the end of each game. I've demoed both of them & it seems like the ST game didn't give an ending to the story, I'd love to see more of this game premise..word association if the developers could move the story along faster and bring the story to a conclusion at the end of the game. I considered buying today's DD but didn't because I am sure that the story will not end in this game.

One suggestion, for BFG, perhaps you could give us a 2 hr demo for this game so that we have time to get through more than 1-2 levels. One hour isn't long enough to evaluate this game.

princesschaos1st
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,838 Posts

[Post New]by princesschaos1st on Oct 2, 10 2:52 PM
love it, though I think the first one was better

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Oct 2, 10 3:05 PM
Didn't even finish the demo. Was so boring and same characters as other card game. Way too much chatter and cut scenes that meant nothing to the game. Grainy graphics and the fade to dark scenes with text were just plain annoying. BF, you are having a hard time catering to your loyal buyers. There has not been a large file game offered in months. These boring dark HOG games are all you are offering anymore. You are going to lose your loyal fans fast. Yes, the economy is bad, but your loyal buyers will stick with you. Don't try and emulate the stupid govt and create false fronts for your keepers. Sorry BF, just not going to even spend one dollar on this game.

[Post New]by sundance3 on Oct 2, 10 4:45 PM
Sorry big fish I love most HOG games but this game is a total loser. There are more cut scenes than game play and you CAN'T even skip thru most of them. If you have to make games like this, please also give us the ability to skip thru the horrible voice overs.

deesi
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by deesi on Oct 2, 10 5:10 PM
B-O-R-I-N-G!!!!!!!! Too much story and not enough play

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Oct 3, 10 8:12 PM
In the past two days I played this game and it's prequel (only because I purchased them together... ) I have to say that when I started the first one I thought I had made a BIG mistake, but I plodded along and found myself drawn into the story line (It would have been a good book). That being said, there were far too many cut scenes vs game play time, and the closer to the end of the story, play time was sparse. For those that were inpatient and didn't read the dialog, you missed the entire story line. There were a lot of people and relationships to keep up with, very confusing toward the end. The mini-games were WAY too hard and I had to peek at the walk through to get past them. I did like that the game gave me options to pick one story line or another. I'll definitely will go back and play the game taking the other option and see where it goes.

If I had trialled these games before I bought them, I most assuredly would have dumped them. I'm glad I had patience to play them to the end.

DrRobert
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,807 Posts

[Post New]by DrRobert on Oct 4, 10 1:13 PM
All in all a very enjoyable game. I was glad to get it as a DD, but would have paid full price for it. I agree with a lot of the previous reviewers. There are good and bad points on the game. I will outline what they are IMHO

Good points:

Interesting version of hidden object game;
looking for groups of items in a category or that have a connection with one another. Very novel concept. And most objects go with the storyline.

The fact that depending on which "card" you played first at a certian point in the game determined the ending was amazingly original. It makes replaying the game much more intriguing.

The mini-puzzles were varied and quite difficult. I skipped 3 of them on the first playing of the game, but managed to get all but 1 on the second playing.

Bad points:

This seems to be universal: WAY TOO MUCH AND TOO FREQUENT DIALOG. Once a chapter would have been fine, but after every game scene....PLEASE! Don't get me wrong, the storyline was great, but there was way too much of it. It really disrupts your flow and momentum. Agreed, you could skip the cut scenes, but if you did, you lost important information.

You almost needed a pad and paper to keep all of the characters straight, as well as figuring out some of the mini-puzzles. I personally don't want to work that hard for a game that is for enjoyment.

All of this being said, I would give it and buy the prequel, 3 Cards to Midnight, but maybe only as a DD or COTW.

Edited on 10/04/2010 at 1:26:35 PM PST

[Post New]by zipdog on Oct 4, 10 6:35 PM
I've never reviewed a game before, but just had to say something about this one! you can hardly find the game for all the talk! plot set up, conversation, narration - and a lot of it you can't just skip by - I have no idea if I like this game, I got so tired of all the talk I just quit playing it!

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Oct 5, 10 7:18 PM
I really liked this game, as I enjoyed the first one also. Yes, there was a lot of dialogue, but the story sucked me in and I almost feel like this game is an interactive novella or movie. The method of searching was very interesting, a nice change from the usual HOG scenes. The voice acting was good, as was the music.
The graphics and sound effects gave the game a really creepy atmosphere.
If there is a sequel, I will definitely buy it!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Oct 13, 10 9:27 PM
man, I spent the entire time skipping over her really boring slef-oriented dialogues, when I could. She just killed this game, too bad. Good graphics, interesting ideas on finding items. no buy.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Oct 28, 10 3:04 PM
I love a good story in a game so count me in the LOVE it group. The game play was good, enjoy looking for the word association items and that I can go back and play it again on the hard option to see the other ending from the one I chose
( the PI ) I played the first game 3 cards to midnight and I will definitely play the next game that comes out!! Please hurry!!! I am Soo over this whole series!

I did like the first game more, I do feel there was more actual game play in it. The puzzles in this game were very hard because they made very little sense and there were for the most part no clues in the story to help solve them. I did not have a problem with the dialog or the amount there was, as I said I love a good story, but yes please do not interrupt the game play with it.. let us play then show me the next story clip!

Other than that its an awesome game for those that like story and dialog, PLEASE make more! I give it 10 and a big this is one of very few games I really feel like I got my moneys worth !. With my naps and breaks I take each game took several days to play and I think even the fastest fishy would have a hard time finishing it in one sitting. With the replayability and this game is worth every penny!

[Post New]by barb2000 on Nov 5, 10 6:24 PM
This is the slowest game on the market....and just after that - the most boring. Don't spend your money, if you must try it go the free route.

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Nov 10, 10 11:50 AM
I am joining this conversation rather late, but here is my 2 cents. I don't recommend this game.

The first game (the Prequel) was an intriguing variation on the traditional HOG. You are one of the characters in the story. You draw tarot cards for guidance and then go to different sites, based on the cards you draw. Instead of listing the objects you need to find, the game gives you a list of words (usually three) and you need to find items associated with those words. For example: Superstition. You need to find things like a black cat, a calendar with Friday the 13th circled, etc. I love the first game.

The Prequel also had an interesting storyline that was time consuming but only got in the way of the actual game slightly.

This game (3 Cards to Deadtime) is set up the same way. But... The story now takes up as much, if not more, time than the actual game. Yes, you can skip the mini-movies but you can't skip all of the dialogue--and there is a lot of both.

I like a game with a good story, but the developers have taken it too far, IMHO. If I wanted to read a novel about psychics, I would. I don't need one melded to a computer game.

(I didn't have much trouble with the minigames, but I am only half way through.)

Myriade99
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by Myriade99 on Nov 14, 10 8:46 AM
I love the game play with word associations although it was difficult for me at the beginning (especially the first game in the series) because my first language is French so there are some words association that I don' t know.
I also love the story and like that there are 2 paths to follow. I usually don't replay a game when I finished it, but I will for this one to see the alternate ending. si it's more game for my money.
By the way I haven't chosen my path for my first play yet. Im think I'm gonna go for Daniel first because i'm a hopeless romantic , but I have to admit it is a dufficult choice because the PI is more exciting .

[Post New]by doeadeer3 on Feb 9, 11 11:27 PM
This and 3 Cards to Midnight, I think are the best games I've played at Big Fish. I do like Madame Fate, and I suppose people might not like this because of the "cut scenes" but I love the weaving of story and hidden object. It almost gives the hidden object a point, although the interweaving is done a little better in 3 Cards to Midnight.

Outstanding games.

Go to: