robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

Re:Comments and reviews for Delaware St. John: The Seacliff Tragedy

[Post New]by robin94122 on Mar 22, 10 12:14 AM
By the way, I agree with everyone that the very first task takes way longer than it should, and just isn't very logical. There's no reason why you should need that particular object to do that particular task. I honestly think the developers were trying to force you to explore the entire park before you get to any of the timed sequences, which may work fine for games purchased outright but can definitely feel frustrating if you're working on a 60 minute trial.

However, after that first task, I did think most of the tasks were both logical and interesting, with plenty of clues from the story itself to give you ideas about what to do next.

For me, the best thing about the Delaware St John series is the complexity of the stories. This one kept me involved all the way through--I really wanted to know what was going on and why.

There are other games that have more intuitive navigation and more helpful hint systems, but I think it's the quality of the stories and the detail in the environments that stand out in the Delaware St John titles.

It may be worth consulting the walkthrough for the very first task, though, especially if you want to get a feel for the game during the trial period.

Robin

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Mar 22, 10 10:11 AM
I played about 30 minutes of this game and I like it so far. I spent a lot of time moseying around the park and I don't mind one bit. I'm thinking about buying it. I love large file games although I rarely finish them. If I buy this one I will finish it- if it's the last thing I do! LOL

[Post New]by engrgprof on Mar 28, 10 2:38 PM
agree totally with all the comments re: the intro, etc. I stuck to it/stayed through it the first time just to see if it got better. It didn't. The conversations are endless - the amount of time they stayed on the screen make it look like they were timed for a second grader or someone who was using an english-to-whatever dictionary. I couldn't click to move to the next one and frankly the designer left his name on there interminably (see how much good it did you - I don't even remember it). Anyway, I've wasted more of my time writing this than I wanted - needless to say it's been uninstalled......

[Post New]by casper04 on Mar 28, 10 2:50 PM
cant figure out combo on safe

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Mar 31, 10 7:31 PM
casper04 wrote:cant figure out combo on safe

Have you had a chance to look at the Blog Walkthrough yet? It has step by step instructions for each puzzle, including a marked screenshot, so it shouldhelp.

To get to the Blog Walkthrough, just click on the Try this Game link at the top of the page, then click on the link to the Blog Walkthrough.

Good luck!
Robin

reddleman
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by reddleman on Apr 24, 10 12:19 PM
This game totally sucks. All I do is walk around amd around in circles. Who are the morons that developed this game? I'll remember to never purchase a game that was developed by these idiots.

dancebear
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by dancebear on Aug 23, 10 6:25 PM
Gee seems the worse the reviews the more I like the game.

If your looking for a HOG forget this but if you want a real challenge then this is a great game.

[Post New]by snorklecat on Sep 29, 10 8:17 PM
My biggest issue with this game- and I am reminded of why I didn't buy the previous games- is that too much of it is spent stumbling around in the dark and encountering locked doors. There needs to be some kind of pay off a bit earlier in the game for it to hold interest. Also, getting people lost isn't quite a substitute for challenging game play and I'm starting to think that it's developer laziness at play here. You can easily blow through your whole hour long demo without having done a darned thing except wander around.

bachlein
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by bachlein on Oct 31, 10 8:23 AM
I really liked this game. Yes, you stumble around in the dark and there lots of locked doors, but that's part of the fun of it...to figure out WHERE you are and HOW to get into those locked places. This game took me several days to play and I was really happy about that. I was tired of HOG games that are just "eh" and can be solved in a couple of hours (...this does not include MCF games. I think they're wonderful).! I had to really think about things in this game...and look CLOSELY for things to pick up. True, it's a little slow, but it had surprises. This game is well worth the price!

RivenWolfe
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by RivenWolfe on Mar 4, 11 4:16 PM
Gee, I'm glad I don't read reviews first before I try a game. I rather like to make my own mind up about things, so many people in all of these Del game forums not even bothering to play because of so many bad reviews from people that don't like these type of adventure games, and are used to quick fixes with the objective of a task written in big print in front of their faces. It's simple really, if you don't like adventure games, and are not used to how they work, don't trail it, or whinge because it had too much this, that and no clues. The whole point of these type of games is to take your time on them, adjust to the controls, work out what's where before you even start solving puzzles. It's all part of the satisfaction of these games finally finding what you are looking for after wandering around like a twit for a while.

I personally liked all three of them. Just completed the first, and second and am about to start the third. I enjoy the traditional style art of the games, the characters are interesting and well thought out, the games even have a rather in-depth back story out there on the web. So you can tell the guy that thought up this game loves his character. The series seems to be a set of ten games, although only three have been released so far. I don't really like going for games that belong to a series as it they tend to be the same, and yes, these games are the same as each other as they are *chapters* in the life of the character, Delaware St John. Each game is a game unto itself, much like a tv series. You have your initial chapter where you solve the main story, and the second chapter gives us glimpses into the history of Del which is a pleasant change. I'm guessing that as the games come out, we will learn more about his origins and parents, and who and what he really is.
So far the puzzles are relatively easy, it's the finding things that is the hard part. Not being able to skip dialogue is annoying if you get throttled by the hunter, and the repetitive "locked" gets old. But I dare say that the developer did it this way so that you read/listen to the characters without just skip, skip, skipping everything. It would be nice if they offered a skip after you have read/heard it once.
The only real annoyance with the first and second game were that they were so short and there are so many locked doors that you cannot ever get into.
...cont because I talk too much...

Edited on 03/04/2011 at 4:20:47 PM PST

RivenWolfe
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by RivenWolfe on Mar 4, 11 4:18 PM
...cont...
The shortness seems to be resolving though as it seems that each successive game is longer and more in depth than the previous one.

I did have a few tech probs with the second game where it told me to install the game data, or game disc, and then killing the game, but it only happened a few times. Another thing which I'm not sure is a glitch or the actual game, many times in all three games, a character will speak without vocals for a few sentences and then the vocals will suddenly reappear. Considering that you can turn the voice dialogue off in the options screen, I'm guessing it's a game glitch?

But all in all, I'm very much enjoying my time will Del and looking forward to the following chapters.

Cami

Edited on 03/04/2011 at 4:29:02 PM PST

Simba2009
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by Simba2009 on Oct 30, 11 5:59 PM
I got lost and couldn't find my way out of the area I was in, around some tunnel. Finally gave up after 10 mins because was so lost and the maps I found didn't help me. So won't be buying this, I could have used a stragedy guide on this one.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 1, 12 7:48 PM
After playing the first two games on Delaware St. John series i could not wait for this one, I bought it right when it came out, but for some reason something in the game didn't excite me any more, perhaps the arrows you have to follow or the darkness of the game, perhaps I was no in the mood at the time for this game.

So I probably will try to played again.

Edited on 01/01/2012 at 7:49:57 PM PST

peachpie61
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by peachpie61 on Feb 7, 12 10:44 AM
I really like these games! Now I'm hooked! When is the 4th coming? I do have to say that Ilike the spooky atmosphere but it might help if a small map would be made available to progress around the games. I'm getting ready to play Seacliff. I'm hoping this lets us know what happened to Delaware's parents.

Go to: