samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by samwise50 on Mar 12, 10 9:02 AM
Syrenia wrote:
Rebeca_Lily wrote:
Ukiah wrote:
My only quibble is that I don't like having to pull my monitor towards me to try to find items in the dark areas, since the way the light hits the monitor affects whether I can see to that tiny level of detail.
Ukiah

Change the Gamma to 1.45, and all the screens will be bright as in day light.

How does one do that? I have the same problem. I am just not tall enough for the top of my screen to be properly visible

You have to find your graphics driver and open its Display Control Panel. If you're using Windows XP, right click on your desktop, then Properties. In Display Properties click on Settings tab, then click Advanced. One tab should display your graphics card. That's where you can change the settings (Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Edited on 03/12/2010 at 9:03:45 AM PST

culady
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by culady on Mar 12, 10 9:40 AM
Wonderful game. Played most of yesterday. Can hardly wait for the Frog Prince. Thanks for the info about increasing the gamma. No glitches whatsoever.

lcoogan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by lcoogan on Mar 12, 10 10:58 AM
Great game, wonderful music and graphics, but I'll wait for the later release. Too much for my pocketbook.

[Post New]by Cuddlefish on Mar 12, 10 1:52 PM
Samwise50 - Thank you muchly for your directions about adjusting the elements of my graphics card. Helped a bundle.

Cuddle

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Mar 12, 10 2:00 PM
You're very welcome

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Mar 12, 10 3:21 PM
I have just finished the game and the bonus level.

The bonus level is very short UNLESS you can do the puzzles which are extremely hard for me. There's a lot to memorize and I am not good at it.

In all, it was worth the $ because of all the good that's been said so far and I do agree with everything.

However, I didn't use the strategy guide nor the walk through (if any). I am not interested in wallpaper, not using them, I am also not using screen savers either, well other than "Starfield" . Yes the music is lovely but I won't listen to it over and over again. The concept art and novels are interesting and I applaud the creativity and talent of the artists but I would prefer to visit the developer's website to learn a bit more about all this.

My only real complaint is the following: Please, enough with Marble Puzzles. There will be a sequel, sounded like it, and I really hope people at Blue Tea Games will put their creativity and talent to good work and come up with something more diversified.

Loved it and I give it 5 again.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Mar 12, 10 3:24 PM
I do love this stye of game. This is an adventure game as much as a HOG as you will be going back and forth and interacting with objects. The music was light and not distracting. The graphics were clear, the colors warm and the needed objects were not dark. The story line was fairly easy to follow and the puzzles were interesting but not extremely hard. I found I only needed two hints in the entire game. I was however disappointed in the ending as it just seemed to end. No tally on the morphing though it had given a number count throughout the game. It would have been nice to be able to go back and look for them. The "novels" are nothing more than short fables. The extra adventure was fun but short. I do think this is a very replayable game as when I started a second time the difficulty had increased. The game took me about 4 hours but I did play with only minor pauses. All and all I wish I had waited for the standard game but it's not a great disappointment as I did enjoy it over all. Thank you BF for an interesting afternoon.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 12, 10 4:03 PM
grabbinbugs wrote:No timer and does not appear to have over click penalties.

Yeah, I managed to trigger the over-click penalties! I did it in Hard mode, when I got totally frustrated because I couldn't use any hints and couldn't find the last little piece. When it triggered, I got a beautiful bunch of roses, which faded to a single rose, then went back to my regular curser.

Trust me, it took a LOT of too-many-clicks to trigger it. ;-) And it was worth it just to see the graphics it generated.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 12, 10 5:15 PM
Greetings fellow fishies. Its 3 am here and I just finished the game. Took no problem downloading it and had no problems throughout the game.
It took me four hours and I really did not need the strategy guide. I will play hard mode tomorrow nite because I want to see what happens down the well. Was it worth the 20 bucks? Im really on the fence about that mainly because it only took me 4 hours. It doesnt come close to RTR or Dire Grove and to be quite honest, I got a bit bored during the end. The marble games are fun but get tedious after a while. I hated the sliding puzzles in the bonus round and just ended up skipping them. I LOVE ADVENTURE GAMES and IHOGs but finding pieces just got tedious after are while. Although this was lovely to look at, the graphics were crisp and the story line OK, I still prefered Princess Isabella and Drawn. Nevertheless I give this game 3.5 out of 5 and hope that the next one (the Frog Prince) will be a bit more challenging. Off to bed and wishing everyone a super week-end.

Edited on 03/12/2010 at 5:15:53 PM PST

MaryAnn3935
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by MaryAnn3935 on Mar 12, 10 6:48 PM
I agree with most of the comments about great game but, I thought it was too short. And I haven't been able to finish it because I cant get all the flowers clicked fast enough so I can't get to the extras. That is a big disappointment.

GONGA
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by GONGA on Mar 12, 10 7:33 PM
It was fun but way to short and easy for 19.99,

Bboo2
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by Bboo2 on Mar 12, 10 11:17 PM
I sure hope all are getting the 20 demons in this game.
They are the ones that open the extras as well as the spindel room.
Very good game and it is well worth its money. I cannot imagine someone that finishes this game in less than 4 or 5 hours.If they do they must be using the stratagy file at all times.

[Post New]by LusciousLeia on Mar 12, 10 11:52 PM
i liked this game too.. but i agree with the time factor.. for $20 i want to play for more than a few hours.. but i think i will put it on the list for when i the regular edition comes out..

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Mar 13, 10 1:57 AM
Same comments as most of the above...good game, but not worth the $20.00. After the purchase of 2 CE's, I've learned my lesson, neither one was worth the extra $$ just for screensavers, a few "extra" scenes, etc.

[Post New]by katetbetrue on Mar 13, 10 4:47 AM
Puzzles reminiscent of Ravenhearst? Awesome. Object usage reminiscent of Return to Ravenhearst? Awesomer. Morphing objects reminiscent of Dire Grove? Oh, hell yeah. HOG scenes where I have to find tiny pieces of random crap? Not so awesome. See, I just saved myself 20 bucks.

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Mar 13, 10 4:48 AM
Bboo2 wrote:I sure hope all are getting the 20 demons in this game.
They are the ones that open the extras as well as the spindel room.
Very good game and it is well worth its money. I cannot imagine someone that finishes this game in less than 4 or 5 hours.If they do they must be using the stratagy file at all times.

WHAT??? I didn't see anything in the walkthrough about catching "demons." I must have missed that just like I missed the pentagram or "transportation device" the first time I skimmed through. So you hope we're getting 20 evil spirits with the game? I'm so confused. I'm starting to feel like I'm ill prepared to play this game. I only have dreamcatcher earings. I'm starting to think I might need to upgrade to a professional size to deal with......20!!!!

[Post New]by Vickycutie2 on Mar 13, 10 5:49 AM
The game downloaded fine for me. After a long dry spell of games this one was wonderful! Although there were many rooms to visit without a map to guide, I never felt lost ! The hint system was great and I could click click click to my heart's content The portal in the Alchemist room was very helpful too. The scenes made sense and loved the hidden object aspect.

Only downside for me was the mini games with the marbles. I had to skip nearly all of them but at least there were no spot the difference games. I don't like games I love to end so that's probably the best compliment I could give. Thanks BFG

ingeash
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by ingeash on Mar 13, 10 7:07 AM
I loved this game and I can't wait for 'Frog Prince'
Loved all the bits to collect and do things.Loved all the roaming around. That transporter thingy was a pretty good notion but I liked to go all through the rooms, so much to see. The xtra part felt a bit disjointed, might try the hard version next

kelvy0303
Stingray
Stingray
4,533 Posts

[Post New]by kelvy0303 on Mar 13, 10 7:44 AM
Haven't even finished the demo and will buy. Love these games that are not easily labeled. Part IHOG, part adventure. A lot of shadow and dark areas for these old eyes, but interesting, fun and addictive. Keep 'em coming.

harlequen
Catfish
Catfish
1,724 Posts

[Post New]by harlequen on Mar 13, 10 7:46 AM
samwise50, Thank You so much for the advise, I wrote it all down, it'l help me a lot,

Go to: