Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose

[Post New]by militarymommy on Apr 10, 10 12:00 PM
I did like the graphics nd even the music trak was not toooo bad. However, I thought the game far too easy and there is an 'inspect' bar you can click on to see what areas you had to inspect to go forward. I only tried that twice until it dawned on me that it would give away the game. Some of the items were a tad hard to find but nothing that would make you throw your hands up in despair! I thought it was much too short a game - at least for me it was.
All in all - way too easy, only spent an hour and 15 mins after the trial was over, so way too short for my money. Maybe the sequel will take out the annoying 'inspect' bar and be a little longer? Sequel (The Prince Frog?) has potential.....

meow70
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by meow70 on Apr 10, 10 4:20 PM
Trying to play the demo but it keeps freezing

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Apr 10, 10 4:42 PM
Contact customer service via the to the right.

sassybee
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by sassybee on Apr 12, 10 10:58 PM
This game is engaging and has a credible storyline while the music is suitable to the dark and supposedly spooky story. It's not an especially unique game in that it's rather alike in manner to a lot of other IHOG. The graphics are so dark that there are a lot of hidden objects invisible to the human eye which require a bit of fiddling with contrast, color and such and there is not a concise ending if you're looking for that. Sleeping Beauty doesn't just wake up and go dancing off to find Prince Charming. There will be the, oh so popular with designers nowadays, dreaded (imo) sequel involving a frog Prince. Can anyone say 'Fairy Tales'? Three times fast if you please.

While the graphics are visually pleasing and interesting they are as noted above, dark, and the hidden objects can be ridiculously hard to find. Most of them are not displayed in the scene with the same color as the shown object to find and some even change color to blend completely with background. Talk about eye strain, I was cross-eyed and squinty by the time the game finished and I should also mention that the objects can be verry.. verry... little. However, those of you with eye difficulties will be able to possibly see objects if you do as suggested above.

The re-playability of the game is different in that ends with no possibility of using the hint button in the second play of the game. So have your memory cap on because those little disappearing objects can be a real pain. This is what they called hard mode but since the game is only slighty above average, I had no urge to replay but did so for a chapter so I could comment. Good luck with it if you decide to try, try again.

I was enthralled with the castle but it's easy to get lost in there. A map would have come in handy but alas there isn't one. That is possibly due to my sad lack of direction skills. And I'm not even a man!

The music was appropriate for the gloomy and sad (not spooky at all) atmosphere though it became grating and monotonous after awhile. Hurray for for the music option I always say. The storyline tells nothing of what happened to the royal family so might as well not wonder. There is a mean evil godmother (shock....not!) but the player, who meets and greets her at the end, is easily able to defeat her. It's a rather extended and boring defeat but some might find it satisfying. The puzzles in the game are surprisingly easy and not original.

Overall, the game rates a 2 1/2 stars out of five.

sarra73
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

Curse of Briar Rose was just a curse sadly

[Post New]by sarra73 on Apr 13, 10 9:11 PM
I have to say this game was mehh ok. I enjoyed enough to where I got to where I sacrificed a credit to purchase after the hour trial and yup. was let down big time by the 45 minutes left to play. I think maybe trials should be shorter so we dont play 3/4 of the game before buying the rest. Seriously. Most of us know if we like a game or not within what, 20 min or so? One time I got a game after the trial and it ended about 15 minutes after. I don't recall the name cuz it was a WHILE ago but yeah. That is SO not right.

Please, BFG, change trials to 30 minutes unless the games ARE at least MCF sizes. I have been playing MCF for about a month or so. It will not end! O_O THAT is worth an hour trial. But not those 2 hour long or 1hr 45min long games.

Most are NOT replayable. Like this one; SO not replayable. Boring horrible waste of 7 dollars in my opinion.

what was great about it was the music but alas that was the same song over and over and over too. bleh.

boptab
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by boptab on Apr 17, 10 12:33 PM
Just finished the game and I loved it! The graphics, music, the morphing objects it was all wonderful. It took me between 8 to 10 hours. I took my time and really enjoyed this game. Thanks, BF

jessikart
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by jessikart on Apr 20, 10 3:10 PM
Gorgeous looking game, really enjoyed the non-linear structure of it and it is ultra playable. Just a few little niggles though... The story didn't really seem to develop IMO - there were no 'OOOOH!' moments for me as there were in RTR, DG or Princess Isabella (although that would conflict with the non-linear nature, I know). Thought the last puzzle didn't really fit with the rest of the game, but then I often think that at the end of a game I've really enjoyed - probably because I want to keep on playing!

Not as good as MCF for me (the notebook was fairly useless), but a really enjoyable game, if a little short (RTR took me weeks to unravel).

[Post New]by candywoman48 on Apr 21, 10 7:47 AM
Excellent game!!!!!

[Post New]by glasgowkaren on Apr 22, 10 1:15 PM
well just down loading my 1hr free trial HURRY UP AND LOAD looks good from the screen shots and the reviews though have there been another briar rose? im sure i have seen the house b4

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Apr 22, 10 3:37 PM
This is our new GOLD STANDARD for a game. I LOVED the entire game -- the BEST by far, even better than RTR and others. Thank you Blue Tea game developers. The graphics were beautiful; the music was soothing; the hidden objects had purpose. Finding pieces of the whole was great fun -- so much more creative than just finding stuff in a junk pile. The "Inspect" button was a unique feature of the game. It helped direct you to specific scenes. This timeless story captured much of the original version, but was developed in a modern and contemporary style. I hope to see more of these kinds of games. A lot of time, thought, and development went into this game -- and it definitely hit the mark!!!!

[Post New]by marykat8 on May 1, 10 11:30 PM
Has anyone experienced troubles, technical or otherwise, since installing this game? we like it, but 4 some reason, we get msgs that the puter has stuffed up Windows, n some of its components! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

We have only installed the trial so far, eh!

[Post New]by BellaSwan_Cullen on Jun 4, 10 6:44 PM
Absolutely loved it. Loved the story! Enjoyed playing it. Can't wait for the next one! Don't even think I'll bother with the demo. I'll just purchase it Great job BF.

[Post New]by fishcherry on Jun 16, 10 4:09 AM
This was seriously the best game I've ever played!!! I seriously loved the storyline and the graphics. The right level of difficulty. The sounds were kinda creepy though. Got a little freaked out halfway HAHA. Would definitely recommend this game! The only thing I disliked was defeating the evil person. It was... boring, compared to the earlier parts of the game. But still, buy it

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jun 17, 10 6:54 PM
Love the game! I think the graphics are lovely and even can stand the same music playing over and over. I appreciate the clean and crisp graphics, easy on the eyes, and I can even take the small objects since you can find them at some point.

It was engaging enough to play through and then get offered the HARD mode. I do like that, and I'm now playing that out. I'm sorry it's not as long as it could be, though. I'm looking forward to finishing it on HARD and then looking forward to the sequel.

Thanks developers and BFG for an enjoyable game! Next time, though, please make it last longer??

[Post New]by RaggedyRoses on Jun 20, 10 10:45 PM
I totally loved and thoroughly enjoyed playing this game!!! I haven't begun to play in the "hard mode", but I can't wait to use the you-know-what, to find you-know-who, down inside the you-know-where ... I hope there will be a sequel, since I'm already so very sad that this game/story will be over once I've played/finished the "hard mode" (I assume). Thanks so much for such a lovely game!!!

P.S. -- I'm very sorry that I passed on purchasing the "Collector's Edition" ... maybe one day I'll "splurge" and purchase it anyway ....

Edited on 06/20/2010 at 10:48:14 PM PST

christina1533
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by christina1533 on Jul 2, 10 9:11 PM
There are only two Hidden Object games that I would even consider giving 5/5 stars. This is definitely one of them (Drawn: The Painted Tower is the other).

This was just a gorgeous game. The graphics and artwork are some of the best I've ever seen in an online game.

Another thing: the puzzles and hidden objects made sense (no trying to find plungers, bowling pins, cell phones, etc.). That alone won my heart over.

I just realized that I'm running out of words to describe how spectacular this game is. Just...go. Go try it, if you haven't already.

[Post New]by titicarmen on Jul 14, 10 10:39 AM
Loved this game...one of my favorite games is Enlightenus which is made by Blue Tea Games...Will buy the next for sure!!

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Jul 25, 10 1:06 PM
Just finished this game. It is a beautiful game, beautiful graphics, intriguing, challenging, and fun. Yes, I would agree, a map would have been helpful, but after a few go arounds, you got the lay of the land. It was an adventure game through and through, with very few hidden object scenes (to tell you the truth, I don't really recall a hidden object scene, but more of FROG scenes), but lots of puzzles. You did have to do things in a certain order, but the book gave you places you should visit and investigate in each chapter which kept you on track. Thank goodness. I tend to get lost if someone doesn't, at least subtly, tell me what I need to do to finish a chapter.

It was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed it immensely. Not too hard, but challenging. Easy on the eyes, too. At the end, you open up the "Difficult Mode" and can start again at the beginning, but I did not see much difference in this mode, as said by another fishie above.

Enjoy - I sure did.
cg

Edited on 07/25/2010 at 1:08:16 PM PST

[Post New]by eldiavola on Aug 17, 10 2:11 AM
would you give me an open code pls (

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Aug 18, 10 10:56 AM
Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose (Adventure/FROG)

Curse of the Briar Rose is a beautifully crafted adventure game with Fragmented Object Scenes, which will add new items to your inventory.

I will say right up front that I generally do not enjoy finding fragmented object scenes as much as finding hidden (whole) objects. It seems to me that FROGs have less of a challenge, as you just *click, click, click* on anything that seems out of place, and voila, you're done.

Briar Rose's fragmented object scenes aren't terribly different, but some of the pieces are so well hidden that they are well nigh (but not entirely!) impossible to find without a hint. This is actually good, as it makes you actually focus on the scene. Some of the pieces you're supposed to be finding will be different colors than what is pictured below, but this is realistic. Items do take on the reflected colors of the scenery around them, so that works out very well.

Like any good adventure game, there is a lot of back and forth in this game, but they added a shortcut later in the games that will help you get around with less fuss - a nice touch!

The graphics are beautiful, reminiscent of Echoes of the Past: Royal House of Stone. EVERYTHING you see and every inventory item you collect is pertinent to the story. There are no misplaced or out-of-time items that I saw.

The music is fair and non-invasive, though I did need to turn down the sound effects. Luckily, music and SFX are adjustable separately, so that wasn't a problem!

The story was interesting, and unlike so many recent games, did not end on a cliffhanger. It does set you up for a sequel, yet does not leave you hanging.

Overall, an excellent adventure game - even if you're not a big fan of FROGs

Go to: