Re:Comments and Reviews for Island: The Lost Medallion

[Post New]by sabrina739 on Apr 6, 10 8:26 AM
have tried three times on 2 different days 2 download this game and it dowloads fine but will not start up whats going on with this game?

Ceece
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Ceece on Apr 14, 10 5:07 AM
Well in the first few minutes of the demo I thought it was okayyyyyy. Then it really sparked my interest with the obvious intrigue with the pawn broker and the boyfriend's urgency to find Pam. Anyway, I quickly got into it. The graphics and music were good. When the demo was up (in the middle of one of the puzzles) I just had to have this game!!! I got through almost the entire game when I finally had to quit. I just went back to it today and found there was only 1 scene left and it was over.

It was a challenging game most of the time, looking for little bits and pieces of things in the HOB parts. Most of the puzzles were challenging without out being impossible to figure out.

I probably just an old romantic, but I also enjoyed the old fashioned story line where good conquers evil and the boy and girl get to live "happily ever after" MAYBE???? Good ending!! Hope they make a sequel. Good Game BFG! Thanks.

MizzezJ99
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by MizzezJ99 on Apr 16, 10 1:17 PM
I purchased this game and felt completely "hosed" after it only took about 30 more minutes to finish.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 17, 10 9:33 AM
Thanks, Poodlebear! I was on the fence about this one but am buying now!

cacre
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by cacre on Apr 18, 10 8:29 PM
The game is great, I am sorry I had to skip 2 of the mini games because there was not enough and clear instructions, like the maya's sums. I am planning to play again, with the intention to solv them. If someone knows how, I will thank.

Const_happy
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Const_happy on Apr 19, 10 12:25 AM
cacre wrote:The game is great, I am sorry I had to skip 2 of the mini games because there was not enough and clear instructions, like the maya's sums. I am planning to play again, with the intention to solv them. If someone knows how, I will thank.

Hi, cacre
You may use the walkthrough
http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/island-the-lost-medallion-walkthrough/
It's very helpful

[Post New]by everyonesmomtwo on Apr 19, 10 10:30 PM
I think that I would have really loved this HOG that is if I could have seen it.
I gave up after about 30 minutes when my eyeballs started bleeding from straining to see the hidden objects.
Seriously when are the makers of these game going to realize we don't all have the eyes of a 10 year old. I only wear glasses for long distance, but it was still to hard to see some of the pieces.
What I did play I liked pretty much. Typical HOG with the inclusion of having to put certain objects together after you have found the pieces and than using what you have on another object. You than had scenes where it was your typical hidden object just find them. That's where I had my most problems.
The mini games were your typical, put the puzzle pieces in place, figure out how to open a safe all to easy.
The hint could be totally usless at times, "yes I know a ladder is to help me reach things, duh where"
I want a little more bang for my buck but not by making objects so small you can't see them.
Oh well maybe the next one.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Apr 24, 10 3:01 PM
After just finishing "Briar Rose", this game was a real letdown. It had mixed reviews and I should have played the demo before buying. I experienced severe eye strain and a
headache trying to find the teeny tiny pieces that added little value to the story. This game lacked creativity and minimized the use of any strategic-thinking skills. The story content was trite and totally unbelieveable. There was no interactions between scenes. You simply move from one scene to another, find HOs, and do a little puzzle to break up the monotony. I've played some extraordinay games, but this one left me cold. For me, there is no replay value. I was very happy to simply delete the game.

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Apr 24, 10 6:12 PM
I too will not go into detail with the game play since it's been spoken of already but I give this game 5 stars. I own many hog's and after awhile they can seem to be alike. With this game I liked the bit of challenge it gave, was not bothered by the cartoon cut scenes and would definitely play it again. Hopefully there will be a #2.

Lime_Cordial
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Lime_Cordial on Apr 24, 10 6:37 PM
Totally loved this game. Well worth the $. The right mix of finding scattered objects and hidden objects, Great length.

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Apr 26, 10 5:25 PM
okay, just played the demo, and must say i was expecting a bit more adventure, rather than just a HOG or rather fractured HOG as they say..from the sounds of it, the length is quite short, i found the game play very easy, and didn't have to use the hints, except once in one of the HOG scenes, and hint seemed to recharge very quickly. nice graphics, the cartoon clip art is not really my scene, and i was a bit lost on the story line, but it got me interested enough that i would like to see out the ending..but whether i use my credit for it today, or wait until a rainy day when i have nothing better to so..will wait and see..

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on May 3, 10 12:08 PM
Didn't like it at all at first. Ordered in a hurry to get my card filled and went with comments instead of demo. As I stuck with it, I was hooked. What fun! I am not finished yet and love this game. Should have known Poodlebear never lets me down. Give this one a chance!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 10, 10 6:06 PM
I bought this game and just finished playing it thru to the end. The story does have a reasonable ending, not a cut short one. As a full priced game, this is a satisfactory one. I don't feel cheated or anything, the game is fine and good quality, but it's not one I'd tell someone they really *must* buy. It just didn't grab me somehow (- but I'm the sort who loves Deadtime Stories a lot more than MCF games).

I think partly, looking for fragments of objects is not my favorite thing, and there's a fair bit of that in this game. Also, ever since playing The Clumsys, I'm a little burned out on looking for parts of mechanisms. But really this game has a fair variety of things to search for including birds and bugs. I might also be a bit burned out on crime stories of various sorts.

When I played the game thru, there was one mini-game I gave up on and skipped. I've looked here in the forums for help on it, but I think the only way to get back to that mini-game is to play thru the story again till I get to it. Some games allow you to replay mini-games separately from the story once you've unlocked them, but this is not one of those it seems.

Edited on 05/10/2010 at 6:14:02 PM PST

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on May 10, 10 10:17 PM
I just finished this game, and it was a gem. Took me about 3 nights of playing 3 to 4 hours each night to finish, so good game length. Story was enough to keep you interested. HOG'S were a bit difficult to find, but that was okay - you don't want it to be too easy. Items were to scale and fit in with the place/time of the game. Graphics were great. Music okay if you turned it down to low. Just the right mixture of HOG'S and, is it FROG'S, where you have to find pieces to complete an object you need to use in the scene. They did not come up in those dammmmm circles, which I hate, but are just on the bottom of the screen. Puzzle instructions were sometimes impossible to understand, so had to skip a few. Don't like to do that, but not much choice. Instructions were in Greek to me - should have been caught on the demo before release.

All in all, one of the better games I've played in a long time, and really enjoyed it.

Would have to be and 1/2 out of 5 for me. New games lately have been for the birds. All kids games. You would have thought during the Mother's Day promotion, you would have seen some games for MOMs, not kids.

Hope you will give it a try, 'cause I am very picky and this had some really good aspects to it.

Happy gaming, and Happy Mother's Day to all of our wonderful Mom's out there!

Jack's girl...., and there was no peace in tonight's episode at all.
But to all anyway.

Edited on 05/10/2010 at 10:27:57 PM PST

PTSuusje
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by PTSuusje on May 11, 10 4:15 AM
Liked it a lot and bought it right away. Clear, bright graphics, quite good music as long as it's turned down low. Have played it right through a few times but the puzzles are annoying to do more than once and you have to wait quite a long time to skip them. You might as well just do them over, rather than wait. I like that the lists of items is different each time you play. Only irritating thing is being forced to see the ending and credits before you can click the game off.

Luna_71
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Luna_71 on Aug 4, 10 12:41 PM
Nice game all around ... the music was great, cool jungle drums and unobtrusive. The graphics are sweet, especially if you like jungle archeology. No bad voice acting either, as all dialog takes places via comic strips. Good length, with puzzles not too hard and hints refreshing quickly.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

Excellent Game-deserves recognition for its well-polished game play

[Post New]by mycatluna on Aug 19, 10 6:38 PM
I am very impressed with this game. It took me awhile to get around to playing it but I'm glad that I finally did. The graphics are great and it is a fantastic balance of fragment, standard, and interactive hidden object searches as well as plenty of creatively (but logically) developed puzzles. While not all objects that you search for would be considered "useful" for the duo's many adventures, many of them are while also staying true to the location and current scene. For example, a plane crash scene would have objects one would expect to find at a place crash site. And best of all, no junk-piles and the objects are to SCALE which is a huge pet peeve of mine!

The story itself is interesting and while the plot isn't that original, the storyline is decent enough to hold one's attention throughout and leave you hoping for a sequel!

The music is not overbearing and adds a nice ambiance to the background. The cut-scenes are also nicely done, seamlessly transitioning one important scene to the next. The journal is a huge help as it keeps track of your progress while also giving you instructions and hints on how to solve a current puzzle. The designers even went so far as to make the journal interesting to read by adding hand-drawn illustrations relevant to the current scene or situation,

The length of the game is well above par. If no puzzles are skipped and no hints used, expect about a four to six hour game depending on your gaming pace.

This game is well-polished and it is obvious that the designers and developers took great care in quality-testing this one before releasing it to the market (another pet peeve of mine).

My recommendation...it is well worth the $6.99 price tag...so make sure not to pass this one up!!

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Aug 19, 10 6:43 PM
everyonesmomtwo wrote:I think that I would have really loved this HOG that is if I could have seen it.
I gave up after about 30 minutes when my eyeballs started bleeding from straining to see the hidden objects.
Seriously when are the makers of these game going to realize we don't all have the eyes of a 10 year old. I only wear glasses for long distance, but it was still to hard to see some of the pieces.
What I did play I liked pretty much. Typical HOG with the inclusion of having to put certain objects together after you have found the pieces and than using what you have on another object. You than had scenes where it was your typical hidden object just find them. That's where I had my most problems.
The mini games were your typical, put the puzzle pieces in place, figure out how to open a safe all to easy.
The hint could be totally usless at times, "yes I know a ladder is to help me reach things, duh where"
I want a little more bang for my buck but not by making objects so small you can't see them.
Oh well maybe the next one.

Just a note to say that some of us like the challenge of finding objects that are difficult to see. The items are at least to scale in this game which is a huge pet peeve of many gamers including myself and I would much rather have a realistic scene than a scene where a pencil spans the length of my wide-screen! And that's what hidden object games are all about...trying to find hidden objects. It may not be the game for you but I am glad that developers offer a wide variety of these games...some with smaller to find objects and others with larger objects that are easier to see. It balances out in the end I think. Happy gaming!

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Aug 19, 10 6:45 PM
Const_happy wrote:
cacre wrote:The game is great, I am sorry I had to skip 2 of the mini games because there was not enough and clear instructions, like the maya's sums. I am planning to play again, with the intention to solv them. If someone knows how, I will thank.

Hi, cacre
You may use the walkthrough
http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/island-the-lost-medallion-walkthrough/
It's very helpful

And don't forget to consult the journal for each puzzle scene. It gives great instructions and hints on how to solve each puzzle!

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Aug 27, 10 10:01 PM
Decided to demo this game tonight and it definitely held my interest for the demo hour. However, I don't think I will be buying it - for a couple of reasons - some of the items are just too hard to find. The hint meter refills quickly enough but when you have 4 and 5 items left, it's a hassle. Some of the items are a little vague looking and hard to tell what they are. Storyline is okay - it's interesting enough. One thing that is kinda cool about this game is it's half fragmented hidden object game, half straight HOG, with some interactive parts (having to figure out how to use your inventory to interact with the scenes). Thankfully you don't have to assemble anything. Some of the objects can be kinda small, and one thing about the mini games is that you cannot skip them. I didn't have any trouble getting through those that I played - they were pretty easy. AT the end of the demo period, I was stuck in a boat where I could not move forward - the hints and sparklies showing on the screen were not helping and who knows how long it would have taken me to finally get through. If this game were on sale, I would purchase it but for full price, I think I'll pass. I'd give this game 3 out of 5 stars.

Go to: