Re:Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon

[Post New]by stripedbass on Apr 18, 10 5:15 PM
After downloading the free trial of this game, I couldn't let it go. I had to buy it. It is by far one of the best all 'round games I've played in a long time. The graphics are great, and the music is relaxing and spellbinding rather than irritating and disgusting. I usually don't care for "bubble" type games, but this one was different--a puzzle all the way through--couldn't solve one without solving another one first, but not so difficult that it was annoying. It lasted a decent amount of time and had a rewarding ending for a change, rather than just a dull thud. My thanks to the authors/builders of this game!

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon

[Post New]by meisie99 on Apr 21, 10 5:22 PM
An additional comment here - just finished playing Part 1 and Part 2 of the Mystery Crystal Portal games and I thoroughly enjoyed both! The graphics alone make Artogon games the best on the market today - at least for me. So even though it appears short, it is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

[Post New]by gemiwing on Apr 23, 10 2:16 AM
8/10 for me.

Pros
Nice graphics
Most screens well-lit
Hints refuel quickly
Two modes (easy/advanced)
No 'fast click' puzzles

Cons
Too easy (puzzles were very simple)
Too short (I finished in two hours)
Having to find items in order

I did enjoy the game but I'm left wanting something more. More challenge perhaps and definitely more levels. Revisiting rooms wasn't often, fine by me, yet I still felt like I was treading water for most of the game.

I would recommend this to those who enjoy a simple, relaxing game. If you're looking for a game to push your gray matter, then I would suggest passing on this one.

reddleman
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by reddleman on Apr 23, 10 1:01 PM
I really liked the games. It was enjoyable and fun. I liked the way Igor pointed out the hints.

NikkiNox
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by NikkiNox on Apr 23, 10 5:21 PM
I agree with many here, too much bubble, bubble toil and trouble. Boring, boring, boring!

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on May 3, 10 4:53 PM
Hidden object games of this style (expanding rings/bubbles vs. object lists) are not typically my favorites, so I was somewhat ambivalent about this game when I downloaded it. I have to say though, it drew me in - mainly based on the stunning graphics - so that I wanted to (and did) keep playing. Overall it was very enjoyable and relaxing with good length. I will be looking for the next installment!

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on May 4, 10 6:46 PM
This game was just okay. It filled the time for me. Towards the end I wanted it to just be over.
I found the easy mode to be to easy. The only thing I liked about it was the fast hint reload. In easy mode the game would point things out before you even asked for help. The hard/advanced mode was nice but I hated the slow hint reload time. It is annoying to have to wait a long time for a hint to reload.

heypaula
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by heypaula on May 6, 10 1:44 PM
boring..........but loved seeing marty feldman aka eyegor!!! not gonna buy this one.

BSF0819
Flounder
Flounder
2,129 Posts

[Post New]by BSF0819 on May 19, 10 1:45 PM
Fun and amusing game. It was worth a credit.

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Jun 29, 10 6:03 PM
Just as good as the first one.

I, too, found it a bit annoying to have to search for the buckets so hard. Thank goodness for the hints. Still didn't like the looks on the heroine's face at times, but it did seem her attitude was a bit nicer this game. Maybe by the next one she will have learned to smile a little. lol.

As in the first game, the graphics are amazing. I wish they could have spent more time in the bathysphere (or whatever it was called), because the underwater scenes were truly breathtaking. The storyline was even more exciting than the first.

Overall, still give it 5 of 5

[Post New]by collegeturkey on Jun 30, 10 12:26 PM
Is there a walk through I can get for Crystal Portal

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Jul 1, 10 9:53 PM
collegeturkey wrote:Is there a walk through I can get for Crystal Portal

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/the-mystery-of-the-crystal-portal-beyond-the-horizon-walkthrough/

ladymajik
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by ladymajik on Jul 2, 10 4:57 PM
i loved this game! It was a truly wonderful experience. It has been my favourite **** game so far, and I have downloaded heaps. I also managed to get through it without having to use the walkthrough which really added to the excitement.

sanpry
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by sanpry on Jul 3, 10 9:42 PM
Smallhaven wrote:As one who enjoyed the first Crystal Portal, I was anxious for this sequel to be released. Within fifteen minutes of playing, I knew it was a purchase for several of the positive remarks already posted.

Honestly, I doubt if a Strategy Guide is needed. Ditto for the walkthrough. But then everyone's ability on games is different and while this is easy for me, it may be challenging for another person. Especially, someone new to this genre or style of HOG.

As for it being "easy"... sometimes that is exactly what I need in a game. Like today. Having to euthanize my cat this morning, I was in need of something to ease my mind from the grief. Playing this game in half hour increments is helping me get through the day.

erbusbee
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by erbusbee on Jul 4, 10 10:46 PM
I had a really great time playing both this game and the first Crystal Portal game. Gorgeous graphics, a fun story line, and amusing characters. Bonus points to the developers for the Marty Feldman Igor!! Too funny.

I'm looking forward to the third in this series!

[Post New]by bluebear23 on Oct 6, 10 1:48 PM
Crystal Portal: BTH had some great graphics and was nicely done. The characters had personality and I enjoyed my time throughout the experience. It was a bit easy on easy mode, but hey you get what you ask for. Overall recommended highly.

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Oct 17, 10 9:49 AM
At the moment it is a now purchase, probably buy it if there isn't anything better.

First of all it is a delightful setting initially of nice lightish scene-the issue is they should have followed it through, instead of going from a lovely nice setting ie the Kitchen, the Hallway to a dull looking station, it ruined the appeal for me of the game. It certainly is the first time that I have seen a delightful environment created, but again it was ruined to a dullish environment. It was original, and instead of make it look like the rest of the games they should have followed the environment through, ie making more similar scenes such as whitish, lightish scenes, lovely. If the game followed this through, I would have purchased the game.

I had no issue of doing trivial things such as getting the woman's glasses, etc, but the igor character was weird, and i don't think it was needed.

So the idea was their "beyond the Horizon", but the game was ruined by not staying "beyond the Horizon", I would give 10/10 for originality, the trouble is I would only be purchasing the game for the first few environments and not after so is it worth me buying it in future, again, would only buy it for this, but will leave it on the table and reconsider. So I have to say well done, absolutely wonderful how the kitchen, hallway. it is poor to turn the originality of the game to boring similar environement and statues to the end.

Kashmiraka
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by Kashmiraka on Dec 2, 10 8:55 AM
While this game was beautiful visually, it was a bit on the boring side. I was disappointed it was so short! glad I only paid 2.99 for this one.
Of course it doesn't help I had just played Dracula Origin, which was long, in depth and a real challenge. I would like more games that are longer in length, and do not hold your hand through them. I come from the generation that started out gaming with Myst and I miss games like that. I played Syberia 1 and 2 years ago and did love them.
In short, this game was just that, way too short, and really not a challenge, but still very pretty to look at.

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Apr 8, 11 8:14 AM
Hi all, I loved the Marty Feldman 'Igor' character more than anything else! The graphics in this game a really good but the game play a little slow. Having said that, I will be re playing this game and although I bought it some time ago, I can't bring myself to delete it to make space for more recent games.
Love Pat_ric_ia x

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Apr 9, 11 4:08 AM
I own both Crystal Portal games in my OP they are the best. I can't wait for the next one. They are so beautiful and just so much fun to play. 2 of the few IHOGS that I keep returning to play over and over.

Great bargin @ 2.99!

Go to: