NouniSmile
Koi
Koi
281,317 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Dominic Crane's Dreamscape Mystery

[Post New]by NouniSmile on Apr 8, 10 6:15 PM
I just finished the demo and I can say that it is nice game.
The bad thing is that it seems to be a short game "info taken from some posts".
The best part is there is no walkthrough which means good work for my gray cells.

Nouni

BuggsyBoy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by BuggsyBoy on Apr 8, 10 7:24 PM
Good Game, difficult in the beginning trying to figure out what to do, but
the entire game follows a pattern. I liked not being told what to do at every turn.
Good graphics and hidden objects are challenging but not insane. I think I used a hint maybe 3 times for the whole game. You have to pay attention to each section for clues on puzzles. (The clues are there) Took about 4 to 5 hours to complete. A brief tutorial or instructions for the begining would have been nice, but all in all worth a credit for an evening of entertainment.

runewarden
Herring
Herring
300 Posts

[Post New]by runewarden on Apr 8, 10 7:26 PM
I'm an old school adventure gamer, and this was well, rubbish. No direction - which while often expected in adventure games, is usually plot driven and usually with an objective in mind. The HOG scenes were simple, the rest appeared to be an adventure game that someone forgot to finish.

I did manage to figure out things as I went along, but it wasn't enjoyable. I've played really obtuse games before and games that make you think outside the box, and managed both well, but this - it wasn't worth it. Why were we even bothering. There was a plot? Really? Where?

Big thumbs down, don't waste money on it - don't even waste a free credit. It's not worth supporting developers who put so little time and effort into a game they want people to pay for. I have genuinely seen free, amateur games with a much higher quality than this game.

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Apr 8, 10 7:44 PM
runewarden wrote:I'm an old school adventure gamer, and this was well, rubbish. No direction - which while often expected in adventure games, is usually plot driven and usually with an objective in mind. The HOG scenes were simple, the rest appeared to be an adventure game that someone forgot to finish.

I did manage to figure out things as I went along, but it wasn't enjoyable. I've played really obtuse games before and games that make you think outside the box, and managed both well, but this - it wasn't worth it. Why were we even bothering. There was a plot? Really? Where?

Big thumbs down, don't waste money on it - don't even waste a free credit. It's not worth supporting developers who put so little time and effort into a game they want people to pay for. I have genuinely seen free, amateur games with a much higher quality than this game.

Agrees

I enjoyed it at the beginning, enjoyed figuring things out on my own. But, as the game went on it made less and less sense. The puzzles became redundant, and the story was never revealed. I started skipping some of the puzzles just to be done. I got suckered..

sugar08
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by sugar08 on Apr 8, 10 8:40 PM
Sorry for those I've read having problems with download. I've had no problem at all. I'm fairly new at the games but I am enjoying this one. It makes you really think and pull out all the tricks, etc. you have learned from the other HOG and IHOG.
Got my second key and seriously considering using my credit on this one. Good luck everyone.

[Post New]by tashinak on Apr 8, 10 8:58 PM
Too easy for the experienced gamer IMO. Looked sort of like one of those Russian games with the bad graphics. Kept me entertained just about long enough to get two keys in 35 min and that's about all I can stand. Puzzles were very easy, needed no hints - just no challenge to be found. I'd rate this a solid 5/10.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 8, 10 9:26 PM
Well, this is JMO. And it appears that people love it or hate it.

Pros:

- Hidden objects not really too junkpile-y, and not too hard to find (I'd prefer to skip the hidden objects altogether, except for inventory items, of course)
- I actually liked the soundtrack - it fit.
- Graphics, while not outstanding, were decent.
- There were no instructions, you are just dumped into it, as you would be in RL
- No hand holding, either. Some sparkles, but that's it. No annoying monologue saying "I should really do this..."
- Skip button for puzzles. (I can never figure out the teaset puzzle.)

Neutrals:

- Didn't need the hints, so don't know about refill time
- Ghosts were pretty cheesy, and didn't do anything, I discovered, but they weren't annoying, either.
- Characters flat, no animation. But didn't affect the game.

Cons:

- I had two keys within the hour, and well on the way to a third. So the game is short.
- Penalty for misclicks - only on hidden object scenes. Otherwise you could click around.

I'm on the fence. I enjoyed it well enough, but wasn't crushed at the end of the hour. Liked the concept, but felt it could have been a tad better done. Not quite sure what the plot was - the intro didn't really explain much. OTOH, I like to support developers who are at least trying to get more adventure into casual games.

I think this one is going in the maybe file...

justnorma
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by justnorma on Apr 8, 10 10:10 PM
Just wanted to pop in and give my two cents worth.

I LOVE it! I'm with Poodlebear with that "aha moment". I like that there's not alot of direction. You have to snoop around and figure it out for yourself.

I've gotten the first key in about 30 minutes. This is a definite buy for me.

ogrprincs
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by ogrprincs on Apr 8, 10 10:12 PM
My only problem with this game is that there are no clues on what they want done in the mini-games. Otherwise it's a good game. Not sure if I'm going to buy it yet.

AJDW
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by AJDW on Apr 8, 10 10:27 PM
Pinky, at the safe, yo uput in the numbers and you have to figure out which picture matches each number.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 8, 10 11:54 PM
At first I found this very frustrating and got stuck on how to move the dragon to get the tape. Kept coming to look for help from the forum. After I found out how to do this I realised that if I clicked everywhere (outside of the hidden object scenes) a sparkle would appear. Decided to buy and as it is a medium length game decided only to use hints rarely. Two of the mini games I found hard, and hate to skip as it does not give you chance to see solution and understand it. All in all I am glad I persevered as I use hidden object games to test the old brain I am not usually interested in the story.
I do have the problem that a lot of people have that it will not close down properly and I have to restart to clear it. All in all I say well done BFG. 9/10. I did finish it. I recommend to stick with it.
For those who have had a go at BF, 99%+ of their games are excellent if there is a problem they are EXTREMELY helpful with sorting things out, unlike some other game sites!

Edited on 04/09/2010 at 12:36:21 AM PST

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on Apr 9, 10 1:06 AM
Utter,frustrating crap.I don't mind a game that doesn't hold your hand or is a little hard but this is silly.There is pretty much no help here.You are stuck in it and that's that.Good luck,you're on your own.I couldn't even finish the demo.The hint system is a joke.If you get something out of it,great! I couldn't

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Mistickel on Apr 9, 10 1:11 AM
This seemed to me to be a bad version of a good game. It had lots of potential, but too many problems. The music was I had to turn it off after 3mins. I do not like games that hand feed you 3 items at a time. The scenes would have been nicer if they werent mostly all one color. Some of the object graphics are so bad I couldnt make out what the item was. One thing that p---ed me off was that I had a locked drawer and a ring full of keys, not for the drawer. Another was I went into a location, then wanted to go back to the previous one and it wouldnt let me until I solved the one I was in. There was one mini that I had gotten 1/2 the clue for, never did find the other 1/2, ended up skipping it. Some of the minis are obvious, others are not. There was another one that I only knew what to do because I play alot of these games and it was a logic thing. I foresee many other people clicking on Skip on that one. It seems to be about a 4 hr. game. I might buy on a DD.

[Post New]by crescentallat on Apr 9, 10 4:35 AM
I played the demo and found the game pretty interesting but frustrating. The lack of instruction does not make this game challenging, it makes it irritating. Too bad because the graphics are good and this could really be a good HOG.

Fykomfei
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by Fykomfei on Apr 9, 10 6:38 AM
To my great surprise, I finished the game. At times frustrating and difficult, but I managed anyhow. I found it frustrating that the hit button was deactivated every time I left a scene, and some of the puzzles were confusing - but I guess they'll be easier nex tim I play it, when I'm not so impatient. All in all, I enjoyed the game.

tinkz2007
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by tinkz2007 on Apr 9, 10 6:45 AM
I found this game very frustrating. Am currently stuck at the pond with the crocodile - have completed everything else in this scene, but have no idea what to do next.

Won't be buying this game.

[Post New]by Vickarooni on Apr 9, 10 8:06 AM
Poodlebear wrote:On first glance I thought I'd probably be passing with the sludgy dark graphics, Poser style models, pretty horrid acting and weird, somber music BUT once I got playing the lack of instruction harkens back to old school adventure and it soon had me pretty darn mesmerized. Personally I LOVE using "ze leetle gray cells" to figure out what is needed rather than being told. Nothing like the, "Ah HA!" moment. If something sparkles at some point you will interact with it. Beyond that it's pretty much up to you. I also appreciate that this is a Dreamscape so weird stuff in weird places finally makes sense.

I finished 3 chapters in 45 minutes so this isn't going to last me terribly long, but w/ 4 credits in me pocket what the heck. Can't give it full Approval because of mediocre production values but I am buying for the pleasantly challenging gameplay.

[Post New]by Vickarooni on Apr 9, 10 8:11 AM
I wish I had a tab at the top of my screen that read "Poodlebear Top 100." I'm wondering if there is a way to sort reviews by reviewer! Poodlebear, BFG should pay you for your reviews - or at least give you some free games!

I think a lot of us automatically jump to your reviews to help us decide if a game is worth buying. I appreciate you taking your time to post your well thought out comments.

I would love to know your top 10 HOG gamepicks!

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Apr 9, 10 8:27 AM
I am definitely getting this one! Although there are quite a few posters who are frustrated by not knowing what to do, I for one find that part of the game fun and challenging. It cracks me up when people grumble about the HOGs that "hold your hand" all the way through, then grumble when you really gotta use the old noodle. Hehehe....and believe me....this brain of mine is an old noodle.

The graphics aren't great, and the voice acting...Ewwwww...but the game play itself is in my opinion fun and challenging.

Oh! and noticed on the BF game manager that they already have an upgrade for this game for those who where having a problem with it running in the background when it really wasn't.

Glasscats
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Glasscats on Apr 9, 10 10:16 AM
I went ahead and bought the game as time was running out, but I think I made a mistake. I may be dumber than most, but the mini games are really confusing for me. Haven't got a clue. The gears for example.....what's going on? Could use a lot more instruction as to what to do!

Go to: