Re:Magic Encyclopedia: Illusions comments and reviews

[Post New]by MalteseBaby on May 6, 10 2:51 AM
I have a question-- The description for this game mentions the " Magic Academy".

Does anyone know if this is the same Magic Academy that was featured in 2 really good HOG games released by BFGs?

Thank you.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on May 6, 10 3:41 AM
I couldn't stand this game! I found it irritating beyond belief. The music was annoying, the objects too easy...definitely not a game for me.

[Post New]by puglette404 on May 6, 10 11:45 AM
hello everyone! this is my first forum post, i have been swimming about the muddy waters and lurking for years!

i just wanted to put in my two cents. i really wanted to like this game. but there is little direction and the change of the vision thingy really annoyed me. i am really sad that i used my punch card credit for this game.

i will probably finish it, but not as happily as i had hoped.
thanks!
puglette
:o)

janinpa
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by janinpa on May 6, 10 7:23 PM
Just couldn't get into this game. Maybe wrong time. It's late and I'm tired. Enjoy, fishes. It did have alot of good reviews.

Jan

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on May 6, 10 10:44 PM
I really loved the first one, was less than ecstatic about the second--25 minutes into the demo on the latest in the series, I'm not enthralled. At some point I'll finish the demo, but as of now, I don't think I'll be purchasing it. It just doesn't have the same razz-ma-tazz as the first one which was truly excellent.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 6, 10 11:35 PM
This is really a great game! I haven't played clear to the end of this game yet (I am getting ready to rescue Poseidon) but I really like it. It is fun and just the right amount of challenge for me (I have only had to use one hint so far) and very original in the concept.

I am wondering if anyone who plays this series can tell me if ME I & II are as good as this one and as long! Are they also IHOG games? If anyone has an opinion on either or both of the first two in this series I would love to hear your comments and an idea of game length. Thx!!

BabyNurse123
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by BabyNurse123 on May 7, 10 5:08 AM
Here's the thing; I loved the other ME games and was excited to try out this new addition. That said, I gave this one several chance; walking away when I got frustrated with the switching back and forth between illusions, consulting the walkthrough, or trying to figure out what it was I was looking for. The problem for me is the hint system is frankly not very helpful. Several times the hint would tell me to "look somewhere else", but not indicate where that somewhere else might be, nor what it was I was supposed to be looking for. There is a lot of jumping between illusions required, and I found that to be tedious as it left me still wondering what I was supposed to be doing. This ME game is not up to the calibre of the earlier ones IMO. It is a no buy for me.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on May 7, 10 6:33 AM
You might not have noticed, but your inventory item will 'sparkle' when it's ready to be used. You can then infer where it's needed. The hints aren't obvious, but once you know what you're looking at, it helps.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on May 7, 10 12:03 PM
Absolutely loved this game!! I liked the illusion effects that made finding the item pieces more challenging. Using magic to help me find item pieces made the game even better.

As always, they do an excellent job of hiding many of the pieces in plain sight ... one of the best. I played without using the walkthrough. And I always try to play without using hints. Any time I got stuck, I closed the game and walked away. Most times I could continue after I started playing again. In a few places I did use a hint and found the hint system excellently done.

Extremely happy with game length. Graphics were excellent. Loved the special effects. Storyline was very good. The one weak point (in my opinion) was the music. I did leave it on but turned it very low.

So ...

intrestra
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by intrestra on May 7, 10 3:41 PM

I generally enjoyed this game - initially took awhile to get into it and the switching was a tad annoying to begin - however later in the game it gave the game a good twist which made me think and not expect the same old style - give it a go and play at least the demo to see if its for you.... happy gaming!

[Post New]by littlecolonel on May 7, 10 5:07 PM
So...what's tricky here is: do I buy the first two games and play those two or do I charge full speed ahead into this new game? I have Magic Encyclopedia on my wish list anyway. Thanks for your comments and/or suggestions. After all there is a sale this weekend!

Rose_Ann
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Rose_Ann on May 8, 10 12:08 PM
I totally agree. I enjoyed the illusions.

annatar wrote:I really enjoy this game! An IHOG - or FROG if you like - cleverly reinvented with two different ways of looking at every scene. An evil illusionist has changed everything with illusions, so in every scene you have to find a way to see past the illusions to find what you're looking for. Basically you first search through the scene the normal way, then use your illusion-breaker tool and look it over again. (At least from chapter 2 and onwards.) It works like you hold a lens over part of the picture, where some things shows up when you hold the lens over it, while others turn up when you move the lens away. By moving the lens back and forth, you can easily see the hidden things popping in and out of view, so the hints weren't necessary all that often.

The graphics are clear and bright, and the scenes are drawn instead of using photos, which allows for much more colourful and imaginative scenes. The picture style and quality resembles games like Love and Death - Bitten and Deadtime stories, and this game absolutely warrants to be compared to these games.

There are no junk piles in this game, instead things are discreetly and cleverly hidden in every scene. Well enough hidden that I had to search for them, but not impossibly so, and no dark items on black backgrounds etc. The items were fragmented, but easily found by moving the illusion breaker tool back and forth, and the hints are unlimited and quickly recharging.

The story and the characters are amusing and perky, and I had to laugh at the Egyptian gods behaving like children and stealing each other's toys...

There are five chapters, with five locations in each. You need to go back and forth between the locations a bit, but not overly much, and all fractions of an item are always at the same location so you don't need to keep searching for things that are located elsewhere.

I'll give this game out of five.

Edited on 05/08/2010 at 12:11:20 PM PST

reddleman
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by reddleman on May 9, 10 1:14 PM
I totally loved this game even though the mini-games were a bit too easy. I loved the effects of the illusions.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 10, 10 6:10 AM
What a turn around !

Great game & I am loving it. (1/2 way through chapter 5)

It did take me a while to get in to but persevered.

The illusions are a lovely twist to a IHOG, but took a while to get used to.

I also think I found this game quite difficult in comparrison to others, which added to my frustration rather than my enjoyment, but I am loving it totally !!!

erigby
Marlin
Marlin
8,482 Posts

[Post New]by erigby on May 10, 10 7:28 AM
I really liked the first two in this series, although I didn't like having to scour the scenes for minuscule fragments of hair and twigs (I think the developers went overboard in this area). Judging from the reviews stating the hidden object scenes are tougher than ME1 and ME2, can I expect more of the same fragments? Should I go ahead and make an appointment to have my eyes checked before I play?

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on May 13, 10 1:42 PM
I think this was my first FROG! I'd give it high marks for originality. It was a bit of a click-fest at times though.

It wasn't hard enough for me to need a walkthrough, but it wasn't particularly easy either.

The graphics and sounds were good and I had no technical difficulties.

I'd give it 7/10 for entertainment and 4 out of 6 for difficulty. The game took me about an hour per chapter (5 hours).

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on May 14, 10 6:00 AM
meisie99 wrote:I like all the Magic Encyclopedia games. This one is a bit more difficult in a way because you have to keep changing modes. If it wasn't for the hints, I might have become to frustrated to continue. I like the theme, the graphics, the sound effects, music... pretty much everything about this game. And..I didn't even finish chapter 1 in the demo so I'm thinking it's a good 3-4 hour game, which to me is worth buying. I plan to use one of my credits I earned in April.

Just adding my 2 cents worth. you love it or hate it.
For a Fractuyed/hidden object game kinda interesting you have to switch back & forth to find object, the grey cells definately got massgae on this end (I really appreciate the walkthrough on this one)
Once you get "into" the how to part, was very enjoyable, nice change & about 4-5 hours.

chruke
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by chruke on May 15, 10 9:12 AM
ME I gave 4 out of 5 stars...ME Moonlight I gave 2 stars...ME Ilusions...5 stars ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!!!!!

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on May 15, 10 10:03 PM
I thought this game was quite clever and definitely a challenge. I loved the other ME games and enjoyed this one, too. Very glad I bought it.

[Post New]by sweetcon1 on May 16, 10 9:01 AM
Didn't like this game at all. Get frustrated trying to guess which way to go next and next and next. Sorry. Actually, I havent liked the last several I have played.

Go to: