meatbun66
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Hotel

[Post New]by meatbun66 on May 27, 10 10:45 PM
Well, I purchased this game. You had a great concept in the beginning but then the storyline just went bizarre or did a big 360 degrees (the thing with Cleopatra, devil grudge child) towards the end.

[Post New]by chris122049 on May 27, 10 11:54 PM
What happens with Cleopatra?

[Post New]by wendylosangeles on May 30, 10 7:16 AM
absolutely loved this game. will certainly look at all further games from this developer!! yay!

[Post New]by ptl777 on May 30, 10 6:00 PM
When I first started the Demo the opening scenes looked promising. I was excited because this looked like my kind of game ...an Adventure game that wasn't a HOG. But soon into the game I became frustrated. It took me several minutes to figure out how to pick up an item and get it into inventory....then I found that just getting her to walk into areas where you needed to do a task took numerous turns and readjustments...like trying to get her to put her suitcase away.....I never did get it into the closet. Couldn't get her close enough or the closet to open. It really is a shame because this looked like it would really be fun but I found it to exasperating. I must say this is the first time I have gave up on a game before giving it the full hour.....just wasn't user friendly. Sorry Big Fish.......

Lunarea
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Lunarea on May 31, 10 5:39 PM
Let me begin the review by saying that I'm a big fan of adventure games, in particular the Nancy Drew series. And because I'm such a fan of ND, I probably have different standards for adventure games than the average player. That said, I'm not purchasing Hotel at this time.

The scenery was well done, with graphics pleasant to the eye. The characters were a little odd-looking, but that's sometimes inevitable with 3d models. I admit, I've been spoiled with gorgeous 2D art from several games here and the basic 3d models just don't measure up. But the graphics in general are crisp and clear.

The music was alright, though I played most of it with the sounds tuned off. The crickets at the beach during the day puzzled me a little, since I'm so used to associating crickets with dusk or night time. There was some voice-acting, but it seemed to fit the scene and mood. Nothing remarkable, but sometimes that's good enough.

There were things I liked about the gameplay and then things I could have done without. The single-click and having to choose view vs interact was a little annoying. I would have found it easier yo have left-click for view and right-click for grab (or the other way around). I also found myself without direction a few times because I didn't realize I had to use an inventory item on a "magnifying glass" (and there was no hint in the description either). I would have loved a special icon that would show me I needed to use an item in a location. As it was, I spent most of my trial aimlessly wandering around and pausing the game so I could glance at the walkthrough. On the plus side, I loved the "Hint" option that showed me where the exits were and where to click to examine/pick up an object. I appreciated some of the character's actions - like lighting the paper to start the fire alarm.

Story seemed interesting. The paranormal undertone was intriguing and I would really love to see the resolution. I'm pondering some scientific theories here, much like Nancy Drew or the Scooby Doo gang would. But I don't think I can sit through another hour of just wandering around aimlessly, waiting for something to happen.

The clincher (for me) was the seemingly short length. Though I felt the game dragged on, I was more than half-way done in the 1hr trial - at least according to the walkthrough. I can't justify 6.99$ on just a couple hours for a game that didn't grip me immediately.

DrRobert
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,807 Posts

[Post New]by DrRobert on May 31, 10 7:38 PM
beverlyiam wrote:I find this game to be very frustrating! The hint button is absolutely useless. I don't want to keep getting help from the rest of the users. This type of game is addictive and interesting, so please, make it a little more "user" friendly.

I heartily agree. I played for about 45 minutes before succumbing to the walkthrough. Even though I had clicked on several items it said to pick up and add to inventory, I was never able to do so (fax paper in specific). It appears that if you don't play the game in the EXACT sequence expected, you will NEVER be able to finish the game without starting over. What is the purpose of that?!

I love the 3D graphics, but as is becoming more frequent in the adventure games, hints are worthless and common sense doesn't appear to play a great part in the storyline.

C'mon folks, some of us think like rational, intelligent human beings. Why is it that developers feel that making a ham sandwich should take three PhDs?. It's only a sandwich, not brain surgery.

[Post New]by mermaidkitty on Jun 2, 10 10:03 PM
LizzieK wrote:This would be a great game for someone who has never played a traditional adventure game. The game play is like an adventure game but you are given Hints to the locations of all the hot spots and .....

Thanks for the review. I will definately look into it.

[Post New]by mermaidkitty on Jun 2, 10 11:25 PM
Clunky game play and fuzzy graphics. I was disgusted after 8 minutes into my free one hour trial and deleted it.

A big NO from me.

suzyc
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by suzyc on Jun 5, 10 3:50 PM
That pretty much wraps it up for me. I was bummed with this one. It had such a great concept, but the mechanics of it all were a dissapointment. And I won't even go into detail about all of the frustrating technical problems. I just wanted to enjoy a game of adventure (I absolutely LOVE Nancy Drew) without any headaches, or gnashing of teeth. I am so, so sorry I bought it!

Sugarbella
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Sugarbella on Jun 6, 10 11:53 AM
LizzieK wrote:I really appreciate the nice comments about my review. Some games are very different after you get farther into the game than the one hour demo. So I rarely write a game review because I generally want to play the whole game before I gather my thoughts on the game. Generally I only write my comments on games I either love or hate.

It is just by coincidence that I was not able to sleep last night and saw this game when it was released. I like that the developer has incorporated a new approach to what we usually see as a large file adventure game by adding the HINT system in this game. We game players are always asking for options in our games and I think this developer has been listening. So I was inspired by their innovation to write my thoughts on the game.

I am flattered at being spoken of in the same topic as Poodlebear when it comes to reviews. What I am doing is not anywhere near the scope of what she was doing. We all miss her comments and I hope she will take up her pen again someday.

Lizzie,

You give great reviews! I look for them all the time!!

Sugarbella

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jun 6, 10 3:04 PM
Can that detective swing those hips any wider? Holy crap. I had to always use the space bar to speed her up so I wouldn't gag watching her walk around. I don't know about this game. I agree it is nice to have a hint system, but would rather it not highlight the done places. I'm really uncertain about purchasing it and have found when in doubt, walk away - with swinging hips lol. I may come back to this later, but for now it's a no go.

warmbear
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by warmbear on Jun 7, 10 2:26 PM
This was a cute, but too short game. The ideas were original and well thought out, in my opinion. Also the very ending (after setting the world right again) was a definite anti-climax, and left way too much unexplained.

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Jun 7, 10 3:36 PM
LizzieK wrote:This would be a great game for someone who has never played a traditional adventure game. The game play is like an adventure game but you are given Hints to the locations of all the hot spots and entrances and exits in each scene. This feature certainly lowers the frustration level that I sometimes have while aimlessly wandering in other adventure games. Unfortunately the hot spot hints stay active even after you have completed everything you can do at that spot. That can be a little confusing since you may think there is still some action to complete at that spot.

The few puzzles in the game are not too difficult and were enjoyable to play. I would like to have seen more puzzles to balance out all of the time spent on the story dialogue. The game is a good length and is worth the price. It should give you a pleasant day of entertainment.

This game was created by the same developer that created The Legend of Crystal Valley

Very well said LizzieK
A great game, which I would highly recommend to people like me.
who would like to enter a new dimension of "Adventure Games",
but are not sure how.
In Crystal Valley I was wandering through the forest in circles, in this one
I did not get lost even once and except for one puzzle, where I needed help,
the rest came naturally by using logic.
I wish, there would be some more games for us the "in between"
players.

Congratulations to the developers

Edited on 06/07/2010 at 3:41:31 PM PST

[Post New]by magdelenrose on Jun 9, 10 8:20 PM
I'm all for a great point-and-click adventure. And kudos to ANY development group working to keep this genre going, because I love them! This game started out strong, a couple graphical glitches: the textures on the colored marbles and the vault valve were messed up, no big deal though. My really only complaint with this game is the story. Like I said, it starts out strong, I love Biggi, she's a strong female lead who actually wears clothes! And the effect in the beginning where she's dreaming in the hotel? That was way cool!

But this game suffers from some seriously lazy writing. The moment the Appotekari come into the story everything seems to fall apart. The entire explanation seems really poorly constructed, like each scene is taped together with duct tape. Suddenly everything is explained, "Because it's magic, that's why." It just seems sloppy. The plot with the 3 tasks really threw me off of finishing this game.

Point-and-click adventure stories need a good story to make the game interesting. All the greats, The Longest Journey, Phantasmagoria, Sam and Max, they all were fun to play because you cared about finding out what happened next.

I would recommend going the extra mile and working with a writer for your next venture. I hope this didn't come off too harsh- keep trying you guys!

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Jun 9, 10 8:43 PM
I'm about to give this game a try. It's got a lot of reviews- some positive, some negative.

[Post New]by MandaLB on Jun 10, 10 11:36 AM
I thought the game was a little easy (especially some of the puzzles). But entertaining none the less. I was a little disappointed at the end but I would guess they are just setting up for more games staring this character.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Jun 10, 10 11:35 PM
Actually this is the first game I've purchased, played til the end and have very little to say about it. I did have to use the walkthrough a few times, agree with one of the other poster's that said it's eerie and I definitely won't be replaying in the future. I would probably give it 4 out of 10 stars for enjoyment. Sorry that I'm at a loss for words -- this is a first, lol.

[Post New]by Kaffee on Jun 14, 10 6:19 AM
Not worth the money I'm afraid.
Took me about 3 hours to solve through to the end with very little help from the walkthrough.
Puzzles very easy and not enough of them.

[Post New]by fishcherry on Jun 16, 10 6:37 AM
Didn't really like this game. When I was stuck and really needed help, the hint button didn't do much. I had to walk everywhere, and think a lot. Got me feeling really frustrated. The character did things quite slowly too, even though there was the double-click thing and space key thing. Besides, when I finally got both the eyes on the statue, she said she needed something advanced to light up and then enter the passageway behind it. So I used the torch. (It's the torch right?) I spent five whole minutes clicking on it. And it didn't work. Pffft. Plus, the whole dream thing was crazy creepy.

Edited on 06/16/2010 at 6:38:16 AM PST

GIMLISAXE
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by GIMLISAXE on Jun 17, 10 3:17 PM
Hi Fishes,
I've been hooked on bfg for about seven months now, but have never posted a review. I just finished Hotel and loved it. I tend to play adventure HOGs, and enjoy them very much. Hotel was no exception or perhaps it was. I found the storyline intriguing. Unlike some HOGs, I thought Hotel had a well thought out plot. I enjoyed the rather fantastic aspects of the story, and actually came to dislike the villians. The graphics were good and clear even on my little notebook. I even enjoyed the music and conversations which I typically turn off when I am playing. Although there is alot of walking back and forth, which I usually dislike, the features to "quick walk and teleport" to your destination made it tolerable. Many of the puzzles were interesting and just difficult enough to keep me interested without getting frustrated. I don't like it when my little brain has to work too hard. I also thought the length of the game was worth $7. All in all, I thought this game was very enjoyable.

Go to: