teeitup46ok
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,217 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Special Enquiry Detail: The Hand that Feeds

[Post New]by teeitup46ok on Jun 7, 10 9:36 AM
Just finished the game yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have so many games that I tend to jump from game to game but this one kept my attention and I wanted to see how it ended. Granted, some of the scenes are fairly graphic (bathroom scene and tasks dealing with the deceased, in particular) but that just goes with this type of game. I was amazed at the realistic quality (the rain on the windows,i.e.) and I noticed in the credits it mentioned 2D and 3D artists so I guess that explains that.
The characterizations of the female cops were a little negative but all in all, I was just interested in game play and the story line moved it along. Liked the number of different story locales and the extras "find all" at the end was a plus. I only played one location as there are so many and I wanted to move on to something else but you get your money's worth and I bought it on the Mem Day sale so I'm satisfied.

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Jun 7, 10 9:56 AM

Special Enquiry: The Hand That Feeds

I was quite pleased to get this, as I had read the debate in the forum but had never tried the game. Let me say at the beginning I like cop shows and I like mysteries.

As an English teacher and former librarian I do not approve of censorship, this is where parenting comes in. You are the one who knows your child. But I was interested to see what people were alarmed about.

It's gritty.

But probably not by big city standards. I was steeling myself for the rats and the roaches. None came. There are a lot of tenement houses that are even worse where children live every day. Their parents are not all druggies or criminals. They simply cannot get out of the cycle of poverty that they have been born into. And I don't think they all have rubber duckies hiding in a corner.

This part is real. This part is true. People do live that way. And putting on blinders does not get rid of the problems.

If your children are too young or too tender to be exposed to this, maybe you shouldn't buy it. Thats why TV cop shows are often shown in the 10:00 slot.

BF forums are reserved for those 18 and older. Read the TOS. Enough.

The story is sharp and engaging, the editing is excellent and the graphics are superb. The only barker I found was the cigarette in the police lab, were I don't think it would be, but then I don't think that forensic lab workers should be smoking anyway because it messes with your sense of smell. (Personal bias--no offense meant).

Since it is a police proceedural I don't want to give too much away, but the case revolves around the in home murder of the teenage daughter of wealthy parents. There are lots of suspects.

This is the ONLY game I have ever bought after the demo to keep playing that very nonosecond. The only reason I could stop at the end of 2 hours was that I got stuck on a mini puzzle and wasn't quite ready to go to the walkthrough.

As you may be able to tell, I think this may be the best game I have ever played, and certainly the best game I have spent my money on.

If you like Law and Order or CSI, give it a try. I have to go and play till I drop.

[Post New]by donkeyscommand on Jun 7, 10 10:07 AM
How do you get the GSR off the dead guys body? THERE IS NO SWAB!!!

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jun 10, 10 7:41 PM
Finished playing Special Enquiry Detail: The Hand That Feeds. The game starts out with the look of James Patterson's Women Murder Club games--however, it soon takes a departure from those games in two importamt points: 1) the graphics are nowhere near as refined -- I found the graphics in this game grainy at best and at times murky with some objects almost impossible to identify; and 2) the game just did not move along...I know there is pressure to make games last, however, boring people to death is not what they want. There needs to be a mix of conversation, hidden object scenes, puzzles and mystery elements (revelation or speculation) in order to keep people's attention.

Language/linguistics were an issue in conversation mode ("He bust my nose" or "I bust you face") and the comic book scene artistry was amateur at best. Objects to be found were questionable to scenes (in a forensic lab find flowers and butterflies and monkeys). The minigames were few and far between and too easy. All and all this game was a huge disappointment to me.

I'm afraid I'd have to give it one out of five stars.

Edited on 06/10/2010 at 7:46:00 PM PST

LynFrank
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by LynFrank on Jun 11, 10 8:57 AM
Absolutely ADORED it. I feel that this game has it all; the dialog was split up from actual 'talking' to written and back again, so it mixed very well - as for the items - I was able to find most of thwm and when I got down to the last one or two, I used the hints, so I didn't get frustrated at all. The best part was that when I had solved the case, it gave me the chance to go through all the locations again to find items (including new ones) again. I felt that this game had lots of value.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Jun 12, 10 12:14 AM
Just Finished! It's after 3 AM and I am tired but couldn't wait until morning to see if I was right about the ending. Hooray! I Am! I worked 13 yrs as police records clerk and love to guess. Enjoyed the game a lot but I sure had my share of crashes. But it was soooo good that I booted a few times and back on the case again.. I actually had the ending pegged far ahead of time but the details were still fun. I also liked the games and puzzles.

[Post New]by Barb0423 on Jun 15, 10 1:21 PM
This game is too hard for me. I can't get past the lab seen with the diary. Can anyonehelp.

I reallylike hiddengames but not too hard. More games for Seniors.

DCer
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

[Post New]by DCer on Jun 20, 10 11:01 AM
Nice game. I'm enjoying playing it. Puzzles aren't too bad though I've had to go to the walk through to get some. The part I don't like is if I want to skip a mini puzzle then I'm stuck. So even though it gives you the option to "skip" but then you can't move forward.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Jun 25, 10 3:39 PM
I really enjoyed the game. It was straight hidden object for the most part, very limited interaction, with a few mini-games thrown in. The mystery story was quite good - I did not mind the dialogue, I usually very much enjoy that part in these types of games. However - as others have pointed out - the voices did not fit the characters and were not very well done. When they were speaking, emphasis seemed to be placed on the wrong words - it was just a bit odd.

I thought the artwork was very good and the game had a good length. I can see where there would be complaints about small objects, although I thought most were quite clear once you found them - so that part was well done. It was definitely similar to the Womens' Murder Club, so if you like that type of game, you will like this one. I would get a sequel, but I hope the next game in the series will have new or improved voice acting.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Jul 16, 10 11:42 PM
I LOVED this game, it kept me playing for a few days. Nice classic HOG word descriptions, voice acting, refillable unlimited hints, no timer and the story is great! If you like Murder Mysterys you'll love this one.

ncdeac
Pink Kisser
Pink Kisser
40,241 Posts

[Post New]by ncdeac on Jul 17, 10 9:56 PM
This is a great game. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope they do another one.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jul 19, 10 10:23 AM
I loved the game, too!
I hope they do more like this. I will definitely buy.

janinpa
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by janinpa on Jul 19, 10 9:46 PM
I enjoyed the story very much. Some objects were hard to find and being one who doesn't like using hints or the walkthroughs, I used the hints reluctantly but only when I got down to 1 or 2 objects as I was excited to see what the next scene of the story would be. The hint holder filled up very fast. Never skipped a mini-game or puzzle. I never found it more gruesome than some of the prime time tv shows our kids are exposed to. It's typical for all **** games to find weird objects in certain places. Took me a week off and on to play to the end.

I say

Jan

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Aug 27, 10 8:47 PM
Decided to give this game a try tonight as it looked interesting. Not sure why but I've really been in the mood to play HOGs lately, which is odd for me cause I'm a TM'er at heart - you people are corrupting me! LOL

Anyway, great game - I really enjoyed this one. Felt like I was playing for about 20 minutes and next thing I know the demo is over. The game is well done - the graphics are pretty good for the most part - I like the added touches of realism (flies in the apartments, that really nasty cruddy bathroom - eww!) Also, the dialogue in the diary I thought seemed ultra realistic (I have a teen daughter!) and even the responses from the people you question in the investigation. I found that I had to use the hints to find about 1-2 items per scene in most cases (I'm too impatient to scour the screen for too, too long). Storyline is very interesting - and I like that you are actually involved doing the detective work and forensics - but most of all I'm glad that they guide you in those parts so you aren't sitting there trying to build a makeshift shovel out of an old matchbook and an army helmet. I'm so tired of those types of games! This one was a refreshing change of pace and different from anything I have played before. This one is a definite buy. P.S. I really liked the captain's voiceovers - she is one tough cookie

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Dec 28, 10 8:59 AM
I really enjoyed this game. The graphics were sharp but some ****'s were a little small and used hints for those. The story line was great, I liked all the twists and turns.

Good game for a rainy afternoon with nothing else to do, but enjoy a good mystery and I did enjoy the reading part of it, I think you can skip that part tho.

I would not mind another crime with these two detectives. Got my money worth out of this game,

Happy game day

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Apr 8, 11 3:41 PM
care___916 wrote:I really enjoyed this game. The graphics were sharp but some ****'s were a little small and used hints for those. The story line was great, I liked all the twists and turns.

Good game for a rainy afternoon with nothing else to do, but enjoy a good mystery and I did enjoy the reading part of it, I think you can skip that part tho.

I would not mind another crime with these two detectives. Got my money worth out of this game,

Happy game day

Hi all, Agree with car_916 and actually quite enjoyed the quips and fairly realistic comments made by the characters. I have come back to this came after about a year and can just remember being stuck for a while in the lab. I'll have to replay it and pleased to learn there's a walkthrough.
Love Pat_ric_ia x

marachat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by marachat on Apr 15, 11 3:54 PM
I liked this game! It was so different than most other HOG's. I liked the "grown up"-ness and the dark story. Hope another SED-game will come soon!

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on May 24, 11 8:19 AM
[b] WOW... a very long, medium intensity **** with good puzzles and a great story with lots of red herrings etc..played twice, the second time was most enjoyable and not the same as the first i think...enjoy!

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 13, 11 9:49 AM
Graphics – 2.5 stars
Story – 2.5 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 2.5 stars
Overall – 2.625 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

stephensol1
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by stephensol1 on Jul 22, 11 7:40 PM
I like the story alot, but I get the feeling the game is very short. I'll have to skip it.

Go to: