Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by 1sarahann on Jan 16, 11 3:32 PM
I just want to know how get thru with the toilet in the batroom in the bar I;ve worked on it and nonthing is happing please help aslo I like this game

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 16, 11 3:52 PM
1sarahann wrote:I just want to know how get thru with the toilet in the batroom in the bar I;ve worked on it and nonthing is happing please help aslo I like this game
Hi 1sarahann! Welcome to the forums! The bartender told you that there is a guy who usually fixes the toilet, but didn't come in today - you need to give him a call.

RavenQuo
Clownfish
Clownfish
839 Posts

[Post New]by RavenQuo on Jan 16, 11 6:17 PM
The game is excellent, but I liked Dire Grove and RTR better.

I was excited to see that we'd be interacting with live people, but I've never been fond of games where the other characters constantly send you on errands -at least, silly errands that they can do themselves (I play games to get AWAY from that sort of thing!) Errands like "Please slay this dragon/rescue these people" I'm usually OK with.

I'm still on the fence about the "Objective" feature -where it's both stated and mandated what problem you're working on right now. While I did have a problem with losing track of what I was working on for the first or second play through DG CE and RTR, that was all sort of part of the mystery -and usually had to do with an item that I'd walked past 16 times and either hadn't noticed or forgot that I hadn't picked it up yet. The Objectives feature didn't help enough with either problem to compensate for the feeling of being led by the nose through the game.

I did LOVE that you can use a Hint to recall what mission you should be working on. I'd love to see that feature continue. The "Objectives" would also be fine if they were kept in the background. For the 3rd and 4th play through the game, it's fun to experiment with seeing how early/late you can solve any particular problem, and being stuck on one Objective interferes with this. If the Objectives could be confined to someplace where we go looking for them (like the Strategy Guide or the Hints), and if they could be supportive rather than confining, that would let them be useful without interfering with gameplay.

The plot in this one was good, but I still like RTR and DG better. On both those games, you get to know the characters you're rescuing over the course of the game, so they're important to you. Finding and freeing them gives you a real sense of accomplishment. The really interesting character details here aren't even hinted at until you get to the "Bonus Game," and then hardly at all. It wasn't till I took a peak on the forums at what you could find if you found all the insignias that I was interested in replaying the game.

I still highly recommend the game to anyone who likes **** and puzzle games! All this whining is only compared with the last 2-3 MCF games, which set an amazingly high bar! My overall favorite is still Dire Grove, and my favorite puzzles are still those in the first Ravenhearst (the door locks).

aowyn
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by aowyn on Jan 16, 11 10:34 PM
Just finished playing 13th Skull, couldn't wait to get on here and say BRAVO! I absolutely loved everything about the game! The graphics, storyline, characters, music, puzzles..etc.. I play games pretty quickly and this game was a very intertaining 9+ hours for me.. Thank you once again BFG for a great break from reality! I love BFG!

dancebear
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by dancebear on Jan 20, 11 5:32 PM
Just Finished! Great game a little easy but I like that there are other things beside just hidden objects. Actually I think its a shame that so many adventure games even have hidden objects. I really like the old style Sierra games but they are so hard to find these days. Anyway even with the hidden object this game was good.

[Post New]by Short_Starfish on Jan 21, 11 7:13 PM
And other well done here. Just finished over 6hrs of game play and well worth it. Did have to use the walkthrough a couple of times and the second to last puzzle was a doozy. Right up there with Dire Grove and Drawn as all time favourite. Way to go BFG.

[Post New]by MeauxJeaux on Jan 24, 11 1:52 AM
When I first saw that this game was set in Louisiana, I thought hummmm, being from Louisiana myself, I was hoping that it wouldn't be one of those down-home deliverance sort of things.. So far, so good. (although the harmonica music makes me cringe, just a bit.. so I turned it down) LOL

I am 30 mins into the trial, and so I thought I would sneak over and read some of the comments here, to get a feel for what the rest of the game had in store, and if I should go ahead and purchase. Still on the fence, but I am leaning towards the buy side.! I have loved all of the MCF 's so far, so I am willing to give this one a fighting chance.

I loved DG and am still having a bit of adjustment to the real-life actors. But I think I could get used to it. Some of the **** areas I have come across so far, have been soooooo cluttered! That has been my major stumbling block so far.

Will finish out my last 30 minutes and decide tomorrow. Sleep well little fishes.

[Post New]by s_h_a_z_ on Jan 24, 11 11:14 AM
brilliant game but am stuck on the drink and swallows toilet got the plunger but can not unblock the loo any ideas?????????????

cayman23
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by cayman23 on Jan 24, 11 11:41 AM
THOUGHT THIS WAS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES BF HAS PUT OUT.!!!! THOUGHT THAT ABOUT RAVENHURST ALSO BUT THIS HAS GOT THAT GAME BEAT BY FAR.!!
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO TO TOP THIS ONE.!!!GREAT WORK BF!!!!

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 24, 11 3:38 PM
s_h_a_z_ wrote:brilliant game but am stuck on the drink and swallows toilet got the plunger but can not unblock the loo any ideas?????????????
SPOILER (highlight to read): You need to call Lamont

[Post New]by TracyPea on Jan 26, 11 7:36 AM
I have not read all the reviews so sorry if I'm repeating anything here. I enjoyed the game for the most part. I did not like all the errands I had to run, that was kind of annoying. Perhaps it's just me, but the puzzles in this game were too hard and frustrating. I LOVED the puzzles in Madam Fate and it would be great to see a return of others like that.

[Post New]by uttermother on Jan 26, 11 9:56 AM
Hi, Uttermother here I loved the game. I played it 3 times, to make sure that I completed everything including the 10 Golden Certificates. Some of the puzzles were hard and I skiped them, but others were chageling.

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Jan 27, 11 4:24 PM
still waiting for game to finish download -- can't wait to play. Have all the MCF games. Had problems with computer crashing and a bad modem and bought a new computer. Bought 13th skull with the backup cd because I have lost so many purchased games. Is the backup CD going to be the actual game. If not, how does it work. Will I always be able to get my game, say ten years from now?

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Jan 27, 11 4:38 PM
You have to check the size of the download file to determine if BF will ship the game on CD. If not, you will just received a trial game CD, not 13th Skull. When you are in the shopping cart BF does not tell you if you will received your game on a CD if it is too big!

nosake
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by nosake on Jan 27, 11 7:55 PM
Love this game! Rate it as high as Ravenhearst.

[Post New]by boatinvonnie on Jan 27, 11 7:59 PM
Thank you BigFish!!! I have played hundreds of hidden objects games, but I must say that this is The Most Fantastic of All !!! I really enjoyed Returned to Raven Hurst, I believe this one took top prize. Thank you and keep'em coming. I try to collect all of the Mystery Case Files, I think I have all of them up to date...Can't get eoungh, more ,more....When the game is captivating as this one and lots of story and game play it's worth every penny paid....Dire Grove was really cool, just too short of a story, not eoungh game play to keep looking forward to playing for serveral days like a Great Book yah know? That's what was so great about 13th Skull, it was exciting to know I had a game to play for several nights in row, just emerse myself in the great grafics as well, crank up the bose Q15 headphones and it's on...

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Jan 28, 11 7:45 AM
I just finished playing Dire Grove and 13th Skull back to back and I still can't make up my mind which one I love more. The Mystery Case Files series is truly the crown jewel of Big Fish's hidden object/adventure games, and these last two entries in the series have brought the IHOG experience to a whole new level. I can't WAIT to see what the developers of the MCF series will give us next!

[Post New]by bccjuli on Jan 28, 11 11:19 AM
Poutoule wrote:I've been waiting so long for this game and now I know that people will raise hue and cry against me ! I didn't like it ! I wasn't a bit drawn into the story, disliked interacting with real people. Music was good to start with but quickly got irritating. Very good graphics, hint refills quickly. Never dreamt that my charwoman would ask me to pick up her cleaning ustensils. Didn't sort out the clock business, even with the cleaned windows. Pirate puzzle wasn't too easy but doable. But I just can't get into the story, having to speak with sobbing or straightforward south people. Just finished Phantom of the Opera and this was a good game. No buy for me, I'm so disappointed. May be I'll buy the SE if there's nothing better, but I'm not that sure.

I totally agree with you on your review! I was so disappointed with this game. I loved Ravenhearst & Return to Ravenhearst & play them over & over again. I'm not fond of the 'real' actors & find them lame. I don't want to be a part in a movie nor hear a bunch of whiny actors with a terrible southern drawl. The guy at the end was extremely annoying as well. (I ended up turning the sound off on him.) PLEASE MCF go back to the amazing graphics & dark storyline of Ravenhearst!

kszanz
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by kszanz on Jan 29, 11 8:24 AM
I am totally surprised to hear anyone criticize the actors. They are totally realistic. I think they did an excellent job. I guess it's just a difference in tastes.

I'll have to admit that I didn't like the game at all the first time I played the demo. My sister, however, loved it. Since we buy games together, I decided to try the demo again when the regular version came out, and I didn't like it then either. I then discovered the problem was my computer. Playing the game on my laptop was a problem because it was really sluggish. Playing the game on my desktop worked great. I loved the game then. One thing I wish they had done differently was make the cursor change to a hand when you were supposed to pick up something because it's a little confusing when it stays a magnifying glass all of the time. Another thing I wish they would not do is make everything so nasty. I kept wanting to tell the maid to stop cleaning in the bedroom and go work on that disgusting refrigerator. The restaurant should have been shut down it was so nasty. Other than these things, it was superb.

Keep up the good work!

loontje
Clownfish
Clownfish
745 Posts

[Post New]by loontje on Feb 1, 11 1:44 PM
Well, this game's a "must play" for any big fish "veteran" I guess. Probably like many of you I played ravenhearst, return to ravenhearst and dire grove. This game lives up to the mystery case files name. It gives you what you'd expect from it: "Real life" video footage, detailed painterly backgrounds. In other words: it's a game environment that you want to spend time in. And a game that's worth the collectors edition price.

Go to: