brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

Re:Drawn: The Painted Tower comments and reviews

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 11, 10 3:21 PM
I think it's a great game for the experienced game player. It's to difficult for me, I need hints and help all the time. Therefore, I get tired trying to figure what to do next and where. For the good game players...Have fun.

maggieevans
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by maggieevans on Oct 12, 10 10:04 AM
I kind of empathize with brookings. When I first heard about this game, I'll admit, I didn't quite "get it" - not sure why but I think it was mainly due to my own inexperience with a variety of games in general. Also, I don't enjoy feeling like I'm dependent on walkthroughs or hints. But now that I've become a little more adept, I decided to give this another look, especially since it was being featured, and also because of all the positive reviews. And I'm happy to report that I "get it" now.

I will say that in my case, I think waiting until I was a better gamer contributed to my current enjoyment of this game, if that makes sense. It takes time to get used to the kinds of things one has to 'figure out' but once you get better at that, games like this offer something really quite satisfying.

Turns out this is a beautifully rendered, imaginative game that really immerses you in a dream-like atmosphere. I found it totally engrossing in a way that I don't often experience. Yes, I enjoy HOGs but I think the standard list and search might have been disruptive in this particular instance. Instead you're taken on a journey into a remarkably realized world with a few puzzles, some problems to solve, exquisite graphics, and even decent music (which I'm really picky about).
(Only one "con" and that would be the load- time in between scenes; however, it's easy to forgive and hopefully that's been resolved in the next one.)

Bottom line is don't give up - keep playing (even if not this game). As with most things like this, it only gets better.

quiltz
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by quiltz on Oct 13, 10 1:53 PM
It's all been said, but again: ...... wonderful game, the artwork exquisite, even the music and voices couldn't be better!! There seems to be a surprise around every corner and hints if needed. I especially like the way the hints are doled out so I have opportunity to think for myself when I can. I think it makes the gameplay even more enjoyable to do so!

Thank you Bigfish!! Even more thanks for making it a bargain game this time!!

[Post New]by msdrew on Oct 16, 10 5:16 AM
If and when im able to play......It seem to be a good game but all I can do is keep trying to iron out the tech problems,No help from your help pages have tried every thing.Please help or recommend a differ game for me.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 16, 10 5:28 AM
msdrew wrote:If and when im able to play......It seem to be a good game but all I can do is keep trying to iron out the tech problems,No help from your help pages have tried every thing.Please help or recommend a differ game for me.
The techical thread is only to pass on information to fellow players, msdrew. If you need help, click on the green envelope, then the Contact Us hyperlink, then select Technical Issues from the drop-down list.

[Post New]by brandyysnapp on Oct 16, 10 1:42 PM
I liked the game, and now at $2.99 I couldn't say no. The only thing that bothered me was the looong waits between changing scenes. The game took much longer to play because of them, especially when it's needed to go in and of them so many times.

[Post New]by secretagentmom on Oct 16, 10 6:29 PM
LOVE this game! One problem, for me anyway, my computer is slow and loading back and forth is driving me crazy! I just want to see and play more (graphics & scenes are great!) but it takes so long. It would be nice if games like this had a "where would you like to go next" menu for those of us who have slow computers! Gonna get back to Iris, she needs my help!

[Post New]by Lady_Destiny on Oct 17, 10 8:01 AM
I bought this game last night and finished it just a bit ago. It was a great game except for a few minor glitches and my own personal opinion of the ending. I rarely play games with the music on but this one was an exception. It was a beautiful haunting melody. I also agree with other comments that the back and forth nature of the game and the loading of screens was a tad bit tedious to say the least. Especially near the end when you realize you have to go back to the beginning to retrieve newly appeared items.

Had a bit of technical problem at that point.....game wasn't releasing memory (I got a low virtual memory warning at this point) and I basically got caught in a loop trying to "zone" into the window scenario. It would crash to desktop and then reload the game, try to load the window scenario and then crash to desktop again. Had to reboot out of it.

I have to say though the ending after the complete buildup in the game, for me, was a total let-down. Disappointing!!!!

Will be going back to solve the mini-game puzzles that I skipped either because I got frustrated with them or that I got impatient with....

All in all, I rate this 4 out of 5 stars....beautiful music, beautiful artwork and a decent storyline except for the end.

ccostly
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by ccostly on Oct 17, 10 7:50 PM
We loved this game. So beautiful and interesting and challenging and fun. The puzzles were very difficult that we had to skip some. The storyline was intriguing and the characters were wonderful. Loved the interactiveness of the game.

grover3e
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by grover3e on Oct 18, 10 9:25 PM
This game is absolutely gorgeous, and the music was nicely haunting. Found the game a little too short, and some of the puzzles, well, I'm still not sure what the solution was, but I just kept clicking around until I got through. Had to use the hint several times. Definitely kept me interested, and I'm off to buy the next installment.

Four of five stars.

HanneB
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by HanneB on Oct 19, 10 3:26 PM
Just bought the game today. And just finished it. WOW - I think I have to buy the next one too.
All the best
Hannah

gntpat
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by gntpat on Oct 22, 10 2:52 PM
Once I got past drawing the clouds, I truely enjoyed the game. The illustrations were enchanting and the tasks were, for the most part, meaningful. Now, I must buy the second game in the series.
Pat

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Oct 24, 10 4:04 PM
So many people have commented, and I really have nothing to add, other than that Drawn 1 and 2 are the best games I've ever played.

I always loved fairy tales and fantasy when I was a kid.....guess some things never change.

merivilan
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by merivilan on Nov 4, 10 9:25 AM
I was so impressed by the beauty of drawn that I decided to write my first review.
It was fun to play and not too hard but the art work was the really impressive part.
I kept going back to the farm picture because it was just nice to look at.
I will be getting the next one.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 4, 10 9:40 AM
I will be getting the next one.
Like now? Drawm: Dark Flight is part 2. Welcome to the pond.

pbashby
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by pbashby on Dec 22, 10 7:47 AM
gosh ... what a great game. Logic is intuitive, artwork is amazing. This was my first "drawn" game, and will definitely purchase more. Some of the puzzles were hard to figure out the objective - it would be helpful to have a bit more info on what the desired outcome of the puzzle should be. Otherwise, well done devs!

paula

BigCatMama
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by BigCatMama on Dec 24, 10 7:17 PM
I loved this game! The graphics are gorgeous, the story is captivating, and the wide variety of things to do kept my interest throughout.

I did have several issues, though. I couldn't find any objectives for the puzzles. Most of them were obvious, but several sent me back to the WT. Some kind of guidance would have been nice here.

Also, the hint system doesn't relate to your location in the game. On quite a few occasions I completed the first steps of a multi-step process, but couldn't figure out the last step. The hint system took me back to the first step, It was faster to exit the game and consult the WT than to wait for Franklin to recharge twice.

Hint for replayers: If you don't change your profile the second time you play, the game starts you out on the rooftop at the end of the game.

All that aside, I'm not sorry I spent the money for this game, and I will play it many times again. Except for the issues noted above, this game is a winner!

[Post New]by Lady_Katy207 on Jan 6, 11 1:55 PM
I loved this game! It was the first actual in-depth game I got for my ipad. I only wish it hadn't been as buggy. Hopefully, the sequel won't be as bad.

Does anyone know when the next one is to be released?

[Post New]by LtlOrphanAnnie on Jan 19, 11 8:56 AM
Poodlebear wrote:

I *should* wait on giving it that rating as that's as high as I go, but for now that's how I feel. The artwork is sublime, the music as well, the voice of the narrator/helper wonderful.

For me the game has the perfect balance of challenge and reward. This is a highly subjective thing based on lots of personal factors. No doubt some will find it too easy or too difficult to be fun, but this Poodle has landed in "just right" porridge.

Loving it. HIGHLY Poodlebear Approved! (if you like Adventure Games, this is NOT a IHOG)

I really like the game for its graphics, the music, and Franklin's voice is perfect. There are some clever twists but all in all, I think its a bit brain numbing.
Its frustrating to wait for all the reloads back to the same rooms over and over and over again. Maybe my computer is slow but sometimes it seems redundant to have to back track 3 or more screens for a room to finish a puzzle. I wish the gameplay was faster...

[Post New]by glow79 on Jan 29, 11 8:01 PM
Great game. My children seemed to enjoy watching me play this game more than tv. The ending was a little too abrupt though. Left me with a big question mark and a frown. Not sure when I'm going to start tackling the sequel. Also lots of freezes and crashes. Had to restart multiple times. But the look and feel of the game was great. Eery music that keeps my 5 year old from sleeping in his own room for a few nights after I play, lol. A little short, but overall, money well spent.

Go to: