Linda1210
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

What a gyp!

[Post New]by Linda1210 on Feb 16, 10 6:15 AM
It let me play all of 15 minutes of the demo and then told me I could not proceed any further unless I bought the game. What I saw in that 15 minutes did not impress.

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

Re:What a gyp!

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Feb 16, 10 6:17 AM
I just get lost and frustrated by these kind of games...but I know there are those who love them!

Welcome to the pond Linda!

Kanithia
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Kanithia on Feb 16, 10 6:58 AM
I didn't even get 15 minutes! It started crashing and sending me to a web page that said "unauthorized". I don't think I will get this one!

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

What a gyp!

[Post New]by Misty40 on Feb 16, 10 7:00 AM
Linda1210 wrote:It let me play all of 15 minutes of the demo and then told me I could not proceed any further unless I bought the game. What I saw in that 15 minutes did not impress.

You did better than me...LOL. I played for about 30 minutes. When I got to 27 Cotton Road, ( the man thinks Carol is a cleaner ). I had to go home and get my cleaning supplies. I did that and went back and was told I'd have to buy the game to play any further. So what did I do? I bought the game . I love these Carol Reed mysteries. I hope you change your mind as these are great games. And welcome to the pond!

Edited on 02/16/2010 at 7:28:25 AM PST

[Post New]by AzredheadedBrat on Feb 16, 10 7:20 AM
I'll pass too. Maybe if I had longer to play I could decide if it's worth it or not. With only 15 minutes of experience, it's hard to tell. A lot of times this means its a very short game and if you had 45 more minutes you'd finish the entire thing.
(The actors doing the voice overs... oy vey)

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Feb 16, 10 7:26 AM
I agree - took me 21 mins to get my cleaning stuff and get the very boring bloke to leave.

However - I might still buy. If (and it's a big IF) I manage to ever unstick myself from The Color of Murder and get into the game properly, and I get into the Carol Reed thing, I may treat myself to it with my little punchcard bonus. But not yet.

Now, back to Madame Fate

bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Feb 16, 10 10:28 AM
Hey Fishies!

If your game ends suddenly before an hour is up, it means that the sample trial has ended. Since this game is a Large File Game, it will say "Sample" rather than 60 minute free trial. Large File games generally do not have 60 minute trials. The sample demo game is a shortened "chunk" of the whole game that ends when you reach a certain level.

However, if you've received an error message, it will be important to talk to tech support. It may also help to update your DirectX and display drivers if you're not already running the most updated versions of that software.

Click here for a help article that will walk you through this process.

If you'd like more troubleshooting assistance, you can hop in to Live Chat if you're a Game Club Member, or you can shoot an email to Customer Support , and a CS Representative will be more than happy to help you out.

Hope this helps!

-bfgZambezi

bunmum
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by bunmum on Feb 16, 10 1:10 PM
i too got 20 minutes of play, got my cleaning stuff, went back to cotton and was told i had to buy the game, 20 mins is not long enough to see if you wil enjoy the game and purchase.

sammygram
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by sammygram on Feb 16, 10 2:41 PM
i couldnt even figure how to get to the ****

[Post New]by crashgibson on Feb 17, 10 3:43 AM
To short "sample"...to boring...characters are not interesting in anyway...voiceovers are horrible...image detail not impressive...I will not be buying and will not suggest this to others.

[Post New]by jamesgriffin5 on Feb 17, 10 4:15 AM
crashgibson wrote:To short "sample"...to boring...characters are not interesting in anyway...voiceovers are horrible...image detail not impressive...I will not be buying and will not suggest this to others.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Feb 17, 10 4:37 AM
Wow just read at gamez that not a one of the Carol Reed games offers 'in game help or
hints'!

Definitely not interested in any game like that!

Edited on 02/17/2010 at 4:37:50 AM PST

[Post New]by Coronagold on Feb 17, 10 5:10 AM
I've heard better voice acting in You Tube Robot Theater clips. She is definitely not Kate Walker.

It's.........stuck!

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Feb 17, 10 5:35 AM
soblessed57 wrote:Wow just read at gamez that not a one of the Carol Reed games offers 'in game help or
hints'!

Definitely not interested in any game like that!

Unfortunately that is not entirely correct. Both Black Circle and Color of Murder have journals to push you in the right direction, which is more than you will find in any adventure game. If you get stuck you can also check out the walkthrough here:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/black-circle-a-carol-reed-mystery-walkthrough/

I hope that helps.

[Post New]by bltsandwich on Feb 17, 10 8:17 AM
Hi!

I just wanted to clarify that there is an in-game hint system in the form of a journal. You can find Carol's journal in her inventory at the top of the screen. I hope that you find the journal useful!

Go to: