phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

Navigation sucks!

[Post New]by phatkhat on Feb 16, 10 9:53 AM
Geesh. I almost bought this without the trial for the sale. Glad I didn't. I got the cursor and pacing up to normal by minimizing everything as someone said to do. But I absolutely HATE the navigation system.

This is some weird hybrid of keyboard and mouse, and it is confusing. You have to change between first and third person in order to do everything, but 3d person you control with mouse, and 1st person is keyboard - and not intuitive at all, like using arrow keys. I do NOT buy games that are keyboard controlled, because I hate them. If I can't play it with a mouse, that's it for me.

On top of that, they have a map, and you can jump between points on the map once you have been there. Okay, did that, but then nothing left to do, and stuck. Checked walkthru, and apparently on the WALK back to house, was supposed to meet up with Watson and go somewhere else.

The game looks interesting, storywise, but I can't deal with the navigation issues. I've played a lot of adventure games, and never had one this difficult to get around in. Played Persian Carpet and it was nothing like this!

Re:Navigation sucks!

[Post New]by Shihtzumama1 on Feb 17, 10 6:29 AM
I agree the navigation and the game itself is the worse game I have ever TRIED to play. It hangs, jumps, and neither the keyboard to the mouse works properly. I curse the day I bought this game. I have tried to upgrade my video, I make sure nothing is runniing in the background and nothing helps. I wish I could get my money back.

karen888
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by karen888 on Mar 1, 10 12:38 PM
The navigation is horrid! But this is a great game...all in all.... I had to laugh a lot ..especially when Holmes and Watson would run into each other and sort of ' dance' with each other.... I'm sure they are gay... they are both so in love with each other, so it was appropriate for them to constantly be locked up together in this game. I spent many hours trying to figure out this very hard, engrosing game and i'm glad I did...it was a great gaming experience.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Mar 2, 10 7:32 AM
I think that the previous poster was having a problem with the custom cursor.
I'll see if I can find the thread about a possible fix.

ETA: Done. See the "this fixed my cursor from jumping around" thread. I hope it helps.

Edited on 03/02/2010 at 7:35:19 AM PST

colieleigh
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by colieleigh on Jun 24, 10 9:12 AM
I agree 100%, played the silver earring sherlock holmes game and liked it a lot, thank goodness I didn't outright buy this one, the trial gave me a chance to see how much the navigation bothers me. Very dizzying having to bounce from 1st to 3rd person (if thats what you'd call it.) Very irritating.

Go to: