Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Metzengerstein Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 21, 16 12:40 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 07/21/2016 at 6:45:06 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Metzengerstein Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jul 21, 16 6:42 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Metzengerstein Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Metzengerstein Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Metzengerstein Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 21, 16 12:34 PM
After experiencing a black screen in the first scene I eventually managed to play the game, and I'm sorry to say that I found this game rather boring and far too easy.

My only surprise in the game was how much Dupin had aged, probably by about two decades since the last game.

The collectibles are only 15 cards.
The HOS were mundane and in the demo some of them were visited twice.
The mini games virtually solved themselves, so no challenge at all really.

Oh well, at least I am saving money.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Jul 21, 16 2:06 PM
Agree with you. No way this should be a CE. Not sure if it is even worthy of a SE. Very slow moving.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Metzengerstein Collector's Editio

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 21, 16 3:14 PM
Metz-AHN-ger-steen

Setting: Budapest, Hungary. To quote from the original Edgar Allan Poe story, "The families of Berlifitzing and Metzengerstein had been at variance for centuries. Never before were two houses so illustrious, mutually embittered by hostility so deadly. The origin of this enmity seems to be found in the words of an ancient prophecy — “A lofty name shall have a fearful fall when, as the rider over his horse, the mortality of Metzengerstein shall triumph over the immortality of Berlifitzing.”"

Ok, so we do have Poe and Inspector Dupin, so it can't be all bad, right? Its a shame I can't say the same for the voices. No accents whatsoever. Dupin is even referred to as mon-se-your (somewhere the French are cringing). The artwork is fine, pretty much what you would expect from the creators of the Puppetshow series. In fact, you'll hear a brief clip of Puppetshow music at the very beginning.

Game play consists of 15 mini-games and 21 HO scenes. There are no morphing objects. Most of the mini-games during the demo were simple, but there were a couple that you will work at a little. One was a three-stage puzzle arranging objects according to color with each stage having a different layout. Hidden object scenes were mostly standard; the list type, choosing objects from a narrative, and find x number of an object.

There are the usual locks and assembling of various shapes to fit the locks. During the demo, I found myself somewhat stumped several times regarding what my next step was. Especially with the first task to get inside the Metzengerstein house. It took me quite some time to complete. Either I am dense or they are trying to challenge us a little more - of which (ahem) I hope the latter is the case.

CE extras - aside from the usual stuff that I refer to as pseudo-extras (wallpapers, music, etc.) there are just 15 collectible cards. Not very interesting because they don't contain any information.

The story isn't particularly compelling. Its the usual family curse, separated young lovers, mystical villain stuff we're used to. Of course, the reason we're used to it is because we like that sort of stuff - or at least we keep buying it.

With the lack of any worthwhile CE extras - unless you are insanely in love with Dupin - I recommend getting the SE when it is available. As Poe would say, "In criticism I will be bold, and as sternly, absolutely just with friend and foe. From this purpose nothing shall turn me."

Edited on 07/22/2016 at 7:29:48 AM PST

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Jul 21, 16 3:20 PM
Played the whole game and the bonus game and: I totally disagree! The game is very well made, good story (basing on E.A, Poe's first short story). It is a variant of the Romeo and Juliet theme.

Black screens or lags between scenes? Had no problems. Usually those are due to memory problems with a computer or, and I didn't experience any, due to glitches.

HOS were variable and entertaining. Puzzles not difficult, but I do not play the games of this series for hard puzzles. There are other games, offering this feature.

All in all I can say : a really good game in this series.

But as usual: we have different tastes.......

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Jul 21, 16 8:44 PM
Well, what can I say, I'm obviously swimming upstream with Rainworm. I've played through the main game and bonus (which was a great addition) and I thoroughly enjoyed both. Great graphics, some of the puzzles were easy enough that this inveterate puzzle skipper took the time to do (LOL). Not nearly as bloody as some of the Poe tales for which I am grateful, didn't experience any glitches and I'm running Windows 10 64-bit OS. There is a game to be played with the collectable cards but it's a memory match and I'm not going there As far as I am concerned this game has great replay value which is a major plus since there are many, many CE's that have been thrown in the little trash can on our GM, this will not be one of them. Great job done by the developer.

gertie23
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by gertie23 on Jul 22, 16 1:46 AM
This one was a pain. I usually like the 'Poe' games but this one tried my patience.
Also I really hate it when a game HIJACKS my computer and changes the screen resolution!

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Jul 22, 16 2:00 PM
I for one did not like this game and believe me I wanted too! I loved this series, but then they started to add gadgets and now everything is done in your inventory as so many games have started to do. Dark Tales used to be a great series, but as many of the great ones has gone down hill. If you like this game, great I am happy for you! I just wish I felt the same way.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Jul 22, 16 9:20 PM
I too, was very excited to see another of these games but was very disappointed. Not only did I experience some technical glitches, but I found the game boring and the same as previous games.

It is a no for me.

AussieMoo
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by AussieMoo on Jul 23, 16 11:51 PM
Disappointing. This had been an excellent series so I bought it, full price, before reading reviews - BIG MISTAKE. There are no extras that are CE worthy, no collectibles, and the game itself has no real logic, the story is not coherent, there are glitches and there's no real challenge. At this stage, I'm not sure why I'm still a Big Fish member as am really struggling with the quality of games.

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Metzengerstein Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JellyJelly123 on Aug 1, 16 2:26 AM
Allan Poe is one of my favorite darkest writers. His books are so inspiring and exciting. By the way, if you're eager to know more about the heritage of this great mane, turn to this source http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/a-few-words-about-good-and-evil-standoff

Edited on 08/01/2016 at 2:29:07 AM PST

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Metzengerstein Collector's Edition

[Post New]by kgustavson on Aug 2, 16 12:11 AM
*banging my head against the wall of the pond* WHY do I sometimes fall for the Poe series?! Seriously, I should know better. Let's start with the fact that Dupin suddenly looks like he's was fished out from under a rock full of bourbon and half-dried off for this installment. Are they just trying to age him?

Any who, game is fraught with nonsensical answers to the usual fix-this-with-that (why can't I use the scissors I already have?!! Why do I need shears instead? And where are they?! GAAA!) Don't know if this kind of thing was trying to add difficulty to what was always a rather easy play but enjoyable series, but instead it just added needless frustration to me.

My recommendation is to steer clear from this one, especially as a CE.

Edited on 08/02/2016 at 12:13:36 AM PST

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

Nevermore Metzengerstein For Me

[Post New]by Beingknown on Aug 14, 16 8:28 PM
GREETINGS FELLOW FISHIES!

I am taking a quick dip into the pond today to share my thoughts and feelings about Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe’s: Metzengerstein.

First, let me say that I really wanted to like this game. After all, a game based on an actual Edgar Allan Poe story involving an old Hungarian belief in “metempsychosis” (a phenomenon wherein the soul of a human leaves the body at death and enters into the body of another creature) should make for an exciting, and delightfully creepy game. Unfortunately, for me, this game was as exciting, delightful and creepy as a warm bath.

While I did not encounter anything I would call an actual puzzle, this game does offer an array of simple mini-games. The mini games themselves are quite straightforward and do not present much of a mental challenge, which for me is the deal breaker. Being more of an adventure game enthusiast, I love games that have a wide variety of fairly challenging and sometimes difficult puzzles to solve. If my brain hurts, I am a happy girl!

Having said that, this game is not actually terrible, and I humbly submit that many people will enjoy it. The graphics are well drawn, although they do not have as much definition and attention to detail as I personally find visually appealing.

The HOGs are well done, with items large enough for even my tired old eyes to locate. The voice over acting is fairly good, the environmental sounds are well done and the musical score is appropriate. The game play was smooth and without glitches.

I appreciated the feature of having both collections and achievement indicators on screen. I also think it is a nice touch that the cursor transforms into a roving eyeball over areas of interest.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for this particular game, I remain an ERS fan and look forward to their next offering.

HAPPY GAMING! ~B

Go to: