bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Empress of the Deep: The Darkest Secret

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Feb 20, 10 12:05 AM
A beautiful young woman wakes up in a vast and mysterious undersea temple complex, not knowing who or where she is. She soon learns that she has been frozen in a death-like slumber in a secret crypt for over a century. Now she must escape the crypt and explore the ancient underwater chambers to unravel the mystery. Use your Hidden Object and puzzle-solving skills to help Anna unlock the enchanted Royal Relics, and reveal the terrible secrets of the Empress of the Deep!

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Empress of the Deep: The Darkest Secret

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Feb 20, 10 12:56 AM
Outstanding game!!! And looooooong (for those who ask all the time about the length) - a whole circle to fill!.

Good resolution, quite big objects (in half-dark screens, you are underwater), and a mix between HOG and Adventure. There is a skip button (if you don't have clues).

Yes, you have to go back and forth here too, but in the journal there is a MAP, and if you hover over it, it gives you the picture of the screen you have been; In addition, all the screens which are solved are marked with "*", thus you don't have to bother and click there. It's like a maze, in which you have to move and open new screens.

Another supporting tool - when you enter a new place, an "x" flashes, to get your attention, and a magnifing glass stops on each important action/object you have to interact.

...Beware, Madame Fate - here comes the competition...

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 1:55:50 AM PST

pocojazz
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by pocojazz on Feb 20, 10 1:03 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. I read the developer comments in chit chat and seemed to be great game. I tried this game for 10 minutes and bought it, that's how good it is. The graphics are beautiful and suit this game. The objects are just right; challenging but you don't have to squint.

You can skip puzzles, but the hint system actually gives you hints to the puzzles too most of the time if you want. I agree with Rebecca, it is looong game. No glitches for me either and I have had some problems with jerky cursors on other games.

Silverback games is definitely going to be competition for MCF. I looked on company website and it looks like they have some great adventure stuff as well as a time management/builder type game that looks fun and I don't normally like that type of game.

I'll tell you how good I think this game is-if it was collectors edition I'd pay the $20. Enjoy!

Poco

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Feb 20, 10 1:08 AM
Beautiful and engrossing. It's like we stepped into an underwater Atlantean paradise! What I about it so far: gorgeously rendered locations that remind me of Myst & Riven; great voice acting; a map that shows you where you are; environmental sound effects (like page turning and gongs) that again gives me that Myst nostalgia; and the star that indicates when an area is complete. What I didn't like about it: the hidden object areas are in lower resolution graphics, and that some puzzles don't seem to have a skip button (I may be mistaken, though). Overall, a highly recommended buy!

Halotop
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Halotop on Feb 20, 10 1:12 AM
I agree... tried it and bought it double quick... the only peeve I have is that the pointing arrows are too large... now that's a odd peeve forf a HOG...:-))

[Post New]by pixiefish79 on Feb 20, 10 1:21 AM
Halotop wrote:I agree... tried it and bought it double quick... the only peeve I have is that the pointing arrows are too large... now that's a odd peeve forf a HOG...:-))

Halotop I think you can go in the options and turn on hard ware cursors and just get small hands instead of arrows

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Feb 20, 10 1:21 AM
Beautiful! Most reminds me of the Dream Chronicles, which I dearly love! It said when I went to install that I had access violation, but I closed the screen and clicked play in the games manager, and so far, not a glitch!

My only peeve is that the HOG scenes are really junk-piley and really, really don't add anything to the gameplay. This would be such a beautiful adventure game without them!

housebound
Salmon
Salmon
2,568 Posts

[Post New]by housebound on Feb 20, 10 1:30 AM
I agree with all of my fellow fishes, a great game.
demoed about 5 min. & brought it right then & there.
can't wait to see what other games this developer
comes up with.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Feb 20, 10 1:54 AM
Yes agree with what has been said and I also agree with the junkpile that would be my only small grumble, but Yes there is a skip but it happens after a hint, I ws on the lights got to the last one a could not work it out so hit hint it told me what to do then hit again and you can skip. Not keen on the resolution on the Hid Obj but blurry and I have 23" but yes a buy here.

Cheers
lineck

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Feb 20, 10 2:00 AM
I agree..
It is a beautiful game...Two beautiful games in two days...that's great ! Great graphics, great puzzles, great sound...the voices are beautiful !
Give me more of those games, that are not only "hidden objects seeks" or stupid stories... !
Thanks big fish for making us forget the rain in Belgium

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 2:01:22 AM PST

bikes202
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by bikes202 on Feb 20, 10 2:02 AM
where did that hour go brilliant game off to buy right now im ihog mad and this looks briliant
finished it what fun to play it took me just over 3 hours bit short but still worth the money ,

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 6:59:41 AM PST

Halotop
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Halotop on Feb 20, 10 2:02 AM
pixiefish79 wrote:
Halotop wrote:I agree... tried it and bought it double quick... the only peeve I have is that the pointing arrows are too large... now that's a odd peeve forf a HOG...:-))

Halotop I think you can go in the options and turn on hard ware cursors and just get small hands instead of arrows

Thanks Pixiefish... hadn't thought of that...

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Feb 20, 10 2:03 AM
dvdiva wrote:Beautiful and engrossing. It's like we stepped into an underwater Atlantean paradise! What I about it so far: gorgeously rendered locations that remind me of Myst & Riven; great voice acting; a map that shows you where you are; environmental sound effects (like page turning and gongs) that again gives me that Myst nostalgia; and the star that indicates when an area is complete. What I didn't like about it: the hidden object areas are in lower resolution graphics, and that some puzzles don't seem to have a skip button (I may be mistaken, though). Overall, a highly recommended buy!

I thought that there was no "skip" possibility...but if you ask a hint when trying to solve a puzzle you can skip it afterwards... Well it worked for me in the "lazers puzzle"...I'm a dimwit when lazers appear

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Feb 20, 10 2:06 AM
Had to buy after only a few minutes play.

All developers should read this thread if they want to sell their games (except who as we know are already perfect!) The game loaded in a jiffy, plays smoothly, looks gorgeous, has pleasant voices, the grammar and syntax are correct, as yet I haven't had to find a boomerang or a feather lol, loads of things to do, see and collect,

Puzzles, I forgot about the puzzles - it's got them too!

I've only been playing for about 10 minutes, but I would go as far to say that if it wasn't for the titles telling me otherwise, you could could assume this was a MCF game

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Feb 20, 10 2:11 AM
Raska wrote:I thought that there was no "skip" possibility...but if you ask a hint when trying to solve a puzzle you can skip it afterwards... Well it worked for me in the "lazers puzzle"...I'm a dimwit when lazers appear

I see, thanks for explaining that! I never thought of clicking "Hint" for the puzzles -- I'm so used to using hints only for the hidden objects. Lucky you discovered that early on! My head spun after completing all the laser puzzles, thinking there was no skip!

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 2:13:25 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 20, 10 2:12 AM
I agree, top notch artwork with a mystical quality. Sound matches, not really loops of worn out music but eerie and fitting the mood and relaxing. I don't usually have music on because on laptop I have to use headphones, one hour til a headache.

A bit of wandering around to find HOGs, and they didn't seem the crisp quality of the overall location scenes. Some easy to find, some need hints which are plentiful, but most seemed original, not the warn out clip art we're so tired of and trite.

The map is helpful guessing where to go but I still did a lot of wandering looking for clues or a sparkle or another piece of the jigsaw then finding that puzzle again. So for a timed demo I didn't get very far, maybe gained 5 or 6 flowers and 2 purple orbs (altho they looked red on my screen, just took a guess.)

Colors better than a lot of games on my laptop, probably better on the pc. Was sorry the hour went by so fast learning and wandering so hope there are a lot more hogs. Puzzles probably not much challenge for the experts, a few I skipped for time, some I fiddled with and did, then noticed the clues are in the journal.

Oh, about no skip button,, seems he said click hint once for hint, twice for skip? I had just hit X to skip but could return when I found the clues.

Going on my Buy list probably March, have 7 already for Feb. Waiting to see walkthru for length or more reviews re difficulty or glitches. i'm an average player who likes more hogs less puzzles, but most attraction is graphics I can admire (which slows down my time in appreciation for the artists) Keep it up!!

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Feb 20, 10 2:13 AM
Nelliegemini - I have had to find a feather I am sorry to tell you

Really liked this game and wasn't happy when the demo ended as I was just getting into it properly. Not too hard, but not easy either, and the puzzles are sometimes trickier than they look.

Rebecca Lily - how long is looooong? (I have just got to the bit with the telescope and was looking through it and don't think that's very far through but need to check).

And I absolutely LOVE the map and am almost coping with it (I can't read maps in "real life" either), what a great idea.

My only gripes are:
a) some of the H.O scenes are quite grainy and blurry - this improves on windowed setting but I think some of the fishies will find this a problem, and
b) the voice acting is so annoying! The little girl makes me want to slap her and the protagonist (Anna) sounds like she's on tranquilisers!

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Feb 20, 10 2:18 AM
Rachieroos wrote:b) the voice acting is so annoying! The little girl makes me want to slap her and the protagonist (Anna) sounds like she's on tranquilisers!

I actually found the voice acting quite appropriate! Anna did just wake up from a hundred (or is it thousand?) years of sleep, and the little girl is intentionally annoying, I believe.

[Post New]by doris2212 on Feb 20, 10 2:18 AM
Fantastic game. Thank You

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on Feb 20, 10 2:23 AM
Gogii puts out some of my favorite games and this is one of them. Beautiful!!

Go to: