TO ALL GAMERS!!

PONYTAILGIRL
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

TO ALL GAMERS!!

[Post New]by PONYTAILGIRL on Feb 20, 10 4:49 AM
It is unfortunate that the replies saw me as "screaming" at other gamers. Not at all!!
My Caps button was stuck.

I am an adult. I have no reason to scream at anyone. I was expressing my opinions and views about the games offered on this site.

I apologize if anyone was offended. I've decided to no longer bother with the forums. I will in the future address game issues by other means.

Thanks for the opportunity to "try" your forums.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

Re:TO ALL GAMERS!!

[Post New]by prchalpn on Feb 20, 10 5:01 AM
Ponytailgirl please don't go! I'm sure when everyone sees your cap lock key was stuck they will understand.
And everyone has a right to voice their opinion and review. That's what makes the pond so great!
I haven't read your previous thread but I'm sure you meant no harm .

Louky
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Louky on Feb 20, 10 5:49 AM
I agree Kalavinka i love to go to forums and read what people have to say about games.,but i think a lot of things are getting out of hand. Some people can't see very well so they use caps,i don't see anything wrong with that.People need to quit sweating the small stuff ,life is to short.just say what you have to about a game whether it is in caps,red color or blue what difference does it really make?

Louky
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Louky on Feb 20, 10 5:51 AM
OH and by the way i was not crazy about the game but that's just my opinion

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Feb 20, 10 6:17 AM
Before this goes any further it might interest the folks that didn't go and look at the angry post that the OP was referring to, no one pointed out her all caps presentation but rather the general tone of the post. The tone and the fact that others had tried to help her and were told in return that their help wasn't acceptable.

Me, I wish more people would type in all caps, it's very difficult to read so generally I just pass it over and use that time to read posts from people who are more concerned with being readable

LoriW
Clownfish
Clownfish
769 Posts

[Post New]by LoriW on Feb 20, 10 6:55 AM
Thanks Mojave.

I am the person who originally found part of PONYTAILGIRL's post offensive. It was nothing to do with the CAPS it was what was posted about receiving help on the part of the game she was stuck on.

I posted info on 2 threads she started about the problem. However, my advice appears not to have helped her but rather than say - "Thanks for the post but it hasn't helped me. Do you have any other advice?" - she started a new thread complaining to BFG about the game and stating "iF ANYONE HAS FOUND THEM AND USED THE SCROLLS, THEY SHOULD LET EVERYONE KNOW "WHERE", "HOW" IN CONCISE LANGUAGE TO HELP OTHERS". If you would like to read the full post see the "BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!!!" thread - even the title seems to have a go at me as I suggested that she go back to the outside of the eastern mosque.

I found this rude and unneccessary as it looks to other fishies who haven't seen her other threads on the subject (especially new fishies) that no one in the pond has tried to help her. A couple of other fishies stated that her post was not a good way to get help and one pointed out that by using CAPS (with what she posted) it looks like she is shouting or screaming at fishies who have no control over the games that BFG put out.

She has decided to pick up on that 1 comment and give what I feel is a very sarcastic and snarky apology about using CAPS when this was not the real issue. She has not made an apology in the original thread and she has never apologised to me or about the remark she made about getting help (even to say that she didn't mean it the way it was taken). If she had done so I would have been fine with it. I do think that my original post back to her was sarky but I was really angry at the time.

I have no issue with the fact that she didn't like the game or that she felt she had to make a complaint to BFG.

LoriW
Clownfish
Clownfish
769 Posts

[Post New]by LoriW on Feb 20, 10 7:49 AM
All hail Princess Snarkypants and her words of wisdom!

Sadly you are right it's all to easy to forget that behind each user name is a person. I've seen some really nasty comments made about people around their views, their race, sexuality, etc on some forums and comments pages. Luckily it never gets that bad here at BFG and anything that does start to get too personal is stopped by other fishies or the Mods.

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on Feb 20, 10 10:04 AM
Based on the rules/guidelines in most forums/blogs/discussion boards, it is considered to be poor "netiquette" to post in ALL CAPS (yelling/shouting) and to flame (namecall or insult someone directly).

While some opinions may not be expressed as well as others, they are just opinions. If you don't agree with someone's opinion, the best course to take, if you decide to respond, is to reply in respectful language that states your opposite opinion.

Example:
Original post: "I don't like this" (I'm trying to be polite; they may say "this sucks")."
Polite response: "I disagree. I really enjoyed this, because...(state your reasons)."

The general rule of thumb is to post in the same way you would normally speak to someone. When speaking to someone, we don't generally shout/yell or call them names, or directly insult them, because their opinion is different than ours.

Since this is a forum about a particular game, I'll "respond" to that. It appears some liked it, some didn't. Some gave specific information, some just said "don't buy it." I will probably wait to read some objective reviews on the pros/cons of the game before I try it out.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Feb 20, 10 12:29 PM
HELLO-- I AM ENJOYING THE ALL CAPS-- IT SEEMS QUITE ENTHUSIASTIC!

What a driving force to garner negative attn & perpetuate conflict w/ which you seem to be imbued....it's really....pathetic? Is that the right term?

IT IS ALSO REALLY HARD FOR ME TO GENERATE TOO MUCH EMOTION OVER THE WORDS OF AN ANYMOUS STRANGER

Is that why you do it so much? And in public where it can be better appreciated?

IT IS A HUGE GENEROSITY TO PRETEND NOT TO NOTICE THESE THINGS-- EVEN IF THE PERSON IN QUESTION IS MISBEHAVING AND CONTINUES TO PERPETUATE THE CONFLICT.

Like you keep doing?

AS A VICTEM OF POND POLITICS-- I HAVE LEARNED THIS MYSELF. INDEED, A SPECIAL SQUAD WAS FORMED TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE LIKE ME (HOW FLATTERING IS THAT??? IT IS QUITE COOL-- AND I ACTUALLY FEEL BETTER ABOUT MY OBJECTIONABLE POST BECAUSE OF IT--

Isn't playing that victim card getting a little old for you? Mind you don't get tendonitis from repetitive back-patting for successful villainy just about every wkend, or from going back & obsessing over editing your posts after the fact to make them more polished & less offensive.

THE POINT OF MY DIGRESSION WAS TO DEMONSTRATE THAT IN SOME CASES, ANY ATTENTION-- EVEN NEGATIVE ATTENTION-- IS BETTER THAN BEING IGNORED. THE BEST WAY TO DEAL WITH HYPER--EMOTIONAL POSTERS IS TO IGNORE THEM-- OR BETTER YET, CHANGE THE SUBJECT. THIS WAY THE PERSON GETS THE ATTENTION THAT HE/SHE MAY ACTUALLY NEED, AND THE NEGATIVE SITUATION IS COMPLETELY DIFFUSED.

So what should be done about a poster like you who has decided She Will Not Be Ignored b/c she thrives on the negative attn & insists on lighting fuses?

My post that offended so many was not meant to be antagonistic, it was simply meant to point out the potential consequences of a particular way of reacting or behaving. I fealt that my language was neutral-- others did not feel this way. What is extremely hurtful to one person, may be trivial to another. I certainly respect this. These sorts of incidents are inevitable-- particularly for people who have strong personalities.

How many times do you expect ppl to wade thru your backhanded apologias? You are never wrong, you are never antagonistic, you are never the villain....even when you admit you get off on it....it's always someone else's skewed perception of your perfect prose. Poor misunderstood you. Pull the other leg, it's got bells on.

purplehaze72
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,258 Posts

[Post New]by purplehaze72 on Feb 20, 10 12:36 PM
i have to agree scarlet, but we need to just ignore the problem, some find that pointing the finger at some one before the other can point is better than having to point at themselfs and believe that they have not said anything wrong, so just ignore it scarlet!

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 12:36:58 PM PST

purplehaze72
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,258 Posts

[Post New]by purplehaze72 on Feb 20, 10 12:43 PM
the problem kala, is as soon as someone disagrees with you you seem to want them to leave you alone. let others state their opinions just like you expect others to let you state yours.

yes i know i didn't do a very good job on ignoring.

purplehaze72
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,258 Posts

[Post New]by purplehaze72 on Feb 20, 10 12:51 PM
think what you want, and i will think what i want! its obvious that you think that you can do no wrong your self, so buzz off and i will just leave you to you own misery!

purplehaze72
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,258 Posts

[Post New]by purplehaze72 on Feb 20, 10 1:04 PM
i said nothing about your life, just that i thought you sound miserable! the buzz off part i shouldn't have said, and maybe miserable was the wrong word, self righteous sounds better! bye!

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Feb 20, 10 2:41 PM
Wow.

Firstly, as someone noted, it is "netiquette" to not use caps unless you intend to shout. That's as old as the hills, waaaaay back into the last century. So many people go by that.

I tend, when possible, to ignore posts in caps because I don't find them comfortable to read, but that's just me.

As for using this issue to re-stir old posts, Kala, I think that was a bad choice for the community. I didn't know that you were prominent enough and important enough to have an entire group created about you? I missed that one, please provide the name and details.

And yes, Purps is right--if you espouse people being able to say what they want, as you repeatedly do when it comes to you, then you also have to allow people to respond. The tactic of announcing that you're being "stalked" or that you want people to stop "picking on you" or that you won't reply to those picking on you after you post something controversial or even baiting/taunting, is now well-known to those who've been around awhile.

I'm only noting that so that newbies understand that this unfortunate incident has some history, and predictable cycles. And it's best to interrupt this cycle right now, if we can, and just move on.

The game, BTW--this is about a game, according to the forum name?--has beautiful graphics but didn't excite me enough to buy it, at least yet.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Feb 20, 10 3:08 PM
Yes, purps, I know.... Besides, I wouldn't want her to be sitting there refreshing the pg 11dy6,000x & not get the gratification she desires.

I'm crushed that she thinks I don't like her. I'd prefer it if she referred to this non-relationship as "largely indifferent".

Perhaps repeatedly ignoring you didn't quite enter your radar? You're the one who construes being politely asked for a PM to clarify a perplexing issue you created as "bullying" & being "bossed around", not me. You prefer the public sandbox.

Happening to play a game & rdg thru its forum is not a definition of "stalking" by any stretch of the imagination. Judging by the amt of times you've been reported by numerous fishies & are still swimming free, I won't lose any sleep over the threat. Besides, I did that b4 posting anything....& b4 you could judiciously edit.

Hmmm like you jumped all over me, in another thread, where your name wasn't mentioned, b/c you seem to think it's all about you? I'm tired of seeing you churn the pond at large & even more revolted by how you always have justification for doing it. You're the bully expert, after all.

Can you truly be so self-absorbed that the mere fact of having your words in quotes can be construed as criticizing your caps choice? Or really believe how you choose wkends to rile the pond up & then edit your posts to be less offensive b4 the mods get in goes unnoticed? Disability is no excuse for it.

You don't feel rules apply to you b/c you didn't pledge to play nicely, preferring, in your own words, to play the villain instead? Um yes, they do, it's called TOU, & I'm not the one whose publicly stated mission in life is to violate it. I've already told BFG I accept my finslapping. I was irked & I shot my mouth off even after I reported your nonsense. I permitted myself to be dragged down to your level. But at least, unlike you, I'm not puffed up w/ pride, chortling about being a villain, seeing things that aren't there as thin justification, or pretending I'm a victim when I've run out of self-righteous defenses for unacceptable behavior. Everyone you choose to make your cutting remarks to all the time are the victims, & you're the perp. I cry "enough". Play nice.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Feb 20, 10 3:20 PM
Actually, as far as I know, there hasn't been a group of people going after you or any one poster. Perhaps you spend too much time thinking that things are about you? Really, that's not healthy.

As for the constant snarking about some "group", perhaps it's time you laid that to rest, unless you're getting even more merriment from stirring an old, dinged, batterd pot that everyone else has left in the landfill. Really.

No, you don't respect my perspective, and you've made that clear in the past. You do, however, respect your own, individual right to cause as much conflict as you can, and that's demonstrable, just by reading through all your old posts, even if people weren't there.

Which is why, rather than focusing on you, as you seem to believe I do, I tend to see your name and automatically ignore the post, unless and until there's suddenly a loud stream of them and someone asks for help. Really, don't feel like you're being stalked or paid attention to by me, because I simply bypass your posts as not having any value for me personally.

purplehaze72
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,258 Posts

[Post New]by purplehaze72 on Feb 20, 10 3:23 PM
Kalavinka wrote:Suit yourself-- you are the one who approached me-- not the other way around and so I do not know why I should buzz off. However, if it makes you happier in your life to believe that I am miserable or that I have some form of a bad life-- than by all means feel free.

Gee- I see that you just edited your post-- So you do not think that I am miserable anymore-- well that's progress-- I would never use a person's unhappiness as a weapon against them (however unfounded).

If i edited my post it would say i edited my post at the bottom! i did not edit unlike you, how i see you did edit yours to look like no one knows what you said, what you don't know is that i reported those as offensive before you edited and once a person reports it take a screenshot of the offensive post,, so edit all you want the mods will know what you origanally wrote! it is unbelievable that you are trying to accuse me of editing mine when you are the one that did! i will in the future have to make sure i quote your posts each time, so when you pull a stupid stunt like that it won't change in my quote! Get a life kala!

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Feb 20, 10 3:24 PM
ponytailgirl, I went back through your posts, and luckily, it seems like you won't have to buy a new keyboard. I see that several entries are in l/c as normal. Good for you!

Now, welcome to the pond. I hope you take some time out to swim around through some of the threads. We do have fun here, and help each other. Because BFG asks us to be friendly and play nice, this is a good place to hang out.

Do you have any other interests other than gaming? If so, we've probably got a thread or two for it!

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Feb 20, 10 3:30 PM
Purps, it's good to know that about the screen shot when we report a problem post. Thanks for sharing that.

Because I've experienced rampant editing before from "hit and run" baiting or taunting posts, I developed the habit of making sure I have my own personal copy of that post--or those posts.

And you're right, it often is very instructive to compare a later version with the original one.

I once saw someone whack out a whole portion of a post that was incredibly flaming--but they whacked it out in the middle of the night. Then the next day kept busy claiming they never said what the other horrible people said they did! Luckily, I had a full copy to send to mods. And that situation was handled by the mods.

purplehaze72
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,258 Posts

[Post New]by purplehaze72 on Feb 20, 10 3:35 PM
Kalavinka wrote:That's good. You ladies should not read my posts-- As a generality, I try to ignore your posts and avoid the FM stream like the plague. However, I still have the right to post and make my own relationships in the pond.

Whatever Purple-- Make as many screen shots as you like. I have reported a few of your posts as offensive as well.

i didn't make the screenshots, using the red ! to report the system makes a screenshot! go ahead and pretend all you want to be the total victim her! that you always swim in and have the nicest most polite posts here and can totally not understand why your being attacked! so WHATEVER TO YOU KALA!

and yes like you i really at this point don't care if i am banned because your actions need to stop!

Go to: