BioShock for casual gamer

BioShock for casual gamer

[Post New]by Skinkie on Feb 20, 10 7:17 AM
It is very clear that Empress of the Deep:The Darkest Secret is heavily inspired by the awesomeness that is BioShock, from the underwater setting and the aged early 20th centuary architecture, to the colour palate of the graphics, right through to the voice of the young girl and the doubt about which voice to believe.

Of course, in wider terms, comparison to BS is deridable - the audio, as good as it is (and it IS good, for a casual game) is no where near the BAFTA-winning soundtrack of BioShock. The graphics, whilst very good, aren't always cohesive, and are let down by some of the hidden object scenes. And, let's face it, there's none of the atmosphere that is stamped on Bioshock from it's very first cutscene.

That said, I very much doubt that the developers of Empress of the Deep had the budget, resources or development time available to 2K Games, and so to even be compared to BioShock is a huge compliment. As a casual game I enjoyed it immensely. The puzzles are just hard enough to require thought but not so tough they cause frustration. The hidden object scenes aren't overwhelming and whilst some of them have the dreaded "junk yard" feel, many contain cleverly hidden clues. The story is captivating, and at each stage I was wanting to find out more, to see how things would develop. Heck, it's good enough to inspire me to write a review, and that rarely happens to me for casual games!

I would definitely recommend this game, and also suggest that if you like this you should check out BioShock (no, I'm not paid by them:p) - don't be put off by the FPS description, it is so much more than that. I will certainly be on the lookout for more games by this developer, and am interested to see what they can come up with that's totally original and not drawn so much from an existing game.

lindawithag
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

Re:BioShock for casual gamer

[Post New]by lindawithag on Feb 20, 10 7:27 AM
I would love to try this game, but after I downloaded, I noticed that its game logo in my games manager was a solid red box...I opened the game anyway and it froze after 5 seconds...too bad...anyone else with this problem...maybe it's my computer.

Vaugh
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,254 Posts

[Post New]by Vaugh on Feb 20, 10 7:35 AM
lindawithag wrote:I would love to try this game, but after I downloaded, I noticed that its game logo in my games manager was a solid red box...I opened the game anyway and it froze after 5 seconds...too bad...anyone else with this problem...maybe it's my computer.

I am using my DH laptop as my desk top is in the shop. Having said that, all I got in the game manager was the solid red box too. The game froze then would play very slowly, freeze again, etc. I think it is the laptop not the game. I am quite sure it will play on my desk top (won't get it back for 5 more days ).

lindawithag
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by lindawithag on Feb 20, 10 7:42 AM
It is very sad - looks like a great game - I have a PC - and following BF's link to DirectX upgrades, saw that there is a new one this month - I downloaded it, uninstalled and reinstalled the game and still got the red box in game manager...

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Feb 20, 10 7:46 AM
I don't think the red box is the problem; I have the red box as well and the game runs perfectly.

puzzlingmom77
Marlin
Marlin
8,539 Posts

[Post New]by puzzlingmom77 on Feb 20, 10 8:04 AM
Same here. Red box in game manager...game runs perfectly.

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Feb 20, 10 8:09 AM
How weird! What's up with the red box?

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Feb 20, 10 8:14 AM
The red box is what you see on BFG's beta games. Not sure why the thumbnail isn't showing instead, but the box has nothing to do with the game being properly loaded. I got an access violation when I first installed, but the game appeared to be loaded. So I shut off the violation message, and clicked play... Absolutely no problems at all.

lindawithag
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by lindawithag on Feb 20, 10 8:20 AM
Well OK then - I'll dive back into the water and see what happens! Thanks for the feedback.

LoriW
Clownfish
Clownfish
769 Posts

[Post New]by LoriW on Feb 20, 10 9:25 AM
I'll definitely be giving Bioshock a try - it looks like a great game.

As for this one I haven't been able to get it to run yet.

[Post New]by Skinkie on Feb 20, 10 9:33 AM
I got the red box too guys, but it played perfectly. All I can suggest is to check the support forum/pages - the advice there has always worked for me when I've had trouble with other games.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Feb 20, 10 9:54 AM
Same here and the game plays perfectly.

[Post New]by DanielBrauer on Feb 20, 10 9:56 AM
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 04/01/2011 at 12:56:05 PM PST

A1psyko
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by A1psyko on Feb 20, 10 10:03 AM
What or where is BioShock?

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Feb 20, 10 10:20 AM

Thanks, Daniel, for the explanations and the link No worries, no linking allowed in this forum.

picman050967
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,226 Posts

[Post New]by picman050967 on Feb 20, 10 12:34 PM
Kalavinka wrote:I GOT THE RED BOX OF DEATH TOO... I WILL WAIT FOR THE FIX BEFORE PLAYING. ALSO, I WILL CHECK OUT BIOSHOCK. I WISH THE GAME MANAGER HAD A REVERIFY BUTTON FOR EACH GAME.....

The red box indicates you got the Beta version somehow.
1) Uninstall the game
2) Reinstall the game from the web site

Some ISPs cache game files on their servers to save Bandwidth costs, so they have the older beta build. They usually clear these server caches several times a day,so it may require you wait a few hours sometimes depending on who provides you internet access.

Picman

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 12:34:55 PM PST

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Feb 20, 10 12:39 PM
A1psyko wrote:What or where is BioShock?

A first person shooter, a professional game - so you won't find it here. But I'm sure you'll find it on Amazon or another retail outlet of your choice. (Needs a way better PC than a casual game PC though.)

deztoy
Flounder
Flounder
2,466 Posts

[Post New]by deztoy on Feb 20, 10 1:54 PM
lindawithag wrote:I would love to try this game, but after I downloaded, I noticed that its game logo in my games manager was a solid red box...I opened the game anyway and it froze after 5 seconds...too bad...anyone else with this problem...maybe it's my computer.

I just started a thread about the red box. Didn't read ALL the posts first so didn't know anyone else was having the same problem. Haven't opened the game yet cause the red box concerned me making me wonder if it was safe to do so.

weissvonnix
Marlin
Marlin
8,067 Posts

[Post New]by weissvonnix on Feb 20, 10 3:21 PM
picman050967 wrote:
Kalavinka wrote:I GOT THE RED BOX OF DEATH TOO... I WILL WAIT FOR THE FIX BEFORE PLAYING. ALSO, I WILL CHECK OUT BIOSHOCK. I WISH THE GAME MANAGER HAD A REVERIFY BUTTON FOR EACH GAME.....

The red box indicates you got the Beta version somehow.
1) Uninstall the game
2) Reinstall the game from the web site

Some ISPs cache game files on their servers to save Bandwidth costs, so they have the older beta build. They usually clear these server caches several times a day,so it may require you wait a few hours sometimes depending on who provides you internet access.

Picman

Hmmm, l got the beta version too. Was a bit puzzled, when l saw the red box, but l know this from prior beta testing, so l had no worries about getting in trouble. No matter, it is a good game.

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Feb 20, 10 6:13 PM
i have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and still getting the beta version, i am getting really aggrevated by all this downloading and once when i tried redownloading it i got that blue screen of death that i needed to shut down my computer now. lol. did get it back up and running after i did a system restore. now if i could only get the regular version and not this beta version.

Go to: