Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 23, 16 12:46 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 07/23/2016 at 6:37:02 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 23, 16 5:21 AM
The opening sequence of this game was, for me, pretty scary! I don't like flying anyway so that didn't help But it was so well done that I was glad to get back to solid ground!!

This dev usually makes quality games and this one didn't disappoint. Nice crisp graphics, well done voices (although a bit too much dialogue for my taste), not overloaded with HOS (with an option to play a matching game that was different from the usual) and some interesting puzzles. Plenty of collectibles, a map that transports and a story that will be familiar to those who have played the previous games in the series. This is the final installment and from the demo I think the dev has saved the best until last!

After a few days without a PC and now with very few games in my GM, I'm looking for a good CE to give this new (ish) PC a good work-out! Looks like this will be the one; a definite buy for me

No technical issues with the demo. I would have had Win10 but thanks to the man who set this PC up for me, I'm still running Win7 Prof 64-bit and very happy about it

ETA: 3 pages of technical issues and some reporting 'major glitches' with this game but I've played it through to the end without encountering a single problem. Curious

Edited on 07/25/2016 at 5:45:08 AM PST

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Jul 23, 16 6:37 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

djones6254
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by djones6254 on Jul 23, 16 8:37 AM
My review of this game is it has major GLITCHES!!!! They keep saying it has to do with your operating system but both PC and MAC are having the same issues. It was launched before major glitches were caught or fixed. I am disappointed that this game was offered for purchase when it clearly wasn't ready, and its a shame because the game seems like it may have been a fun game to play.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Jul 23, 16 1:36 PM
Not too bad of a game - I'm currently starting chapter 4 - some different puzzles and some of the hidden objects are a bit different. enjoying the game. both hint and map are great. absolutely no glitches at all - using windows 8.1.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Jul 23, 16 1:58 PM
It is a great game, worthy to be the final chapter of this trilogy. Just finished the main game, had no glitches.

Artwork, story, atmosphere - all very good and suiting. Details - this dev is careful: the Latin sequences used WERE Latin.....

It is a long game with much dialogue to support the theme of the whole trilogy. In this last part we have many adventurous passages, many puzzles and not so many HOS.

Would be no fault to have played the first two games, gives a better understanding. It is not necessary, though.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

Nice Balanace of Hogs to Mini Games

[Post New]by Beingknown on Jul 23, 16 6:21 PM
GREETINGS FELLOW FISHIES

I am taking a quick dip into the pond today to share my thoughts and feelings about Artifex Mundi’s newest offering Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala Collector's Edition.

In the true spirit of an adventure game, from the opening sequence we encounter a sense of desperate urgency as we find ourselves crashing in an exploding airplane. There are immediate items to locate and actions to accomplish, lest we meet an inevitable fiery death. Following the successful resolution of this dramatic beginning we find ourselves to be a detective set upon collecting evidence and solving assorted crimes and mysteries.

The graphics were well done, but several scenes lacked the color variation, contrast, and vibrancy that I personally find more esthetically pleasing. Having said that, the drawings themselves were well developed and nicely detailed.

I found the HOG scenes to be well drawn and not overly taxing for my aged eyes. However, I really appreciated the option of playing a match 2 game instead, wherein we locate pictures that are thematically connected. For me, this is far more enjoyable than HOG scenes.

I found the mini games fairly enjoyable, but I would have preferred them to be a bit more challenging. Overall, the general adventure aspect within this game of finding items and figuring out when, where, and how to use them was a very nice balance of ease versus difficulty.

While I found the environmental sounds and sound effects to be quite nice, for my taste the soundtrack was rather dated.

I liked having achievements to earn and items to collect. In this game we collect morphing objects, “Widow’s Sorrows”, and 15 feathers. There are 4 modes of play, “Casual”, “Advanced”, “Expert” and “Custom”.

The map transports and indicates tasks yet to be accomplished, but does not indicate the location or existence of collectibles.

I wanted to like this game more than I did and can’t quite put my finger on what exactly was missing for me. But it is a game with lots to do, straightforward puzzles, lots of items to locate and use, and overall is probably a game that many people will enjoy.

HAPPY GAMING! ~B

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Jul 24, 16 2:04 AM
After an hour - with 24 minutes left - I just quit the demo.

Sorry, Artifex, I really don't care for that game.
I liked the first Enigmatis (though I admit I won't play it again since there were too many HOS for my taste, like it used to be in those games a couple of years ago), I LOVED the second one, and I was excited to see that the final part of the trilogy came out.

But it simply does not meet my expectations. I don't know if it's me or if it's the game itself? I did not even care about the plane crash which was spectacular! I just found myself frowning all the time and waiting for something to happen because I honestly wanted to like it.
Part of the problem is that I could accept that Asmodai nonsense in Maple Creek and Ravenwood because the plots were settled in, well, what I'd call ordinary/familiar places. When reading the infos on the main page and looking at the screenshots I already had mixed feelings about this one... and voilà!

Maybe today one of my "Wrong time, wrong place" experiences? I just don't know what's missing, but I won't purchase the CE nor the SE. Instead I will get back to Ravenwood soon.

Those who like it: happy gaming!

jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by jan1949 on Jul 24, 16 3:38 PM
Great game with one exception: the lag time between scenes is 5 seconds long! I don't like that black screen for that long of a time and wonder why it even happens. No other game I have played has done that. No glitches for me throughout the demo. PC, Windows 8.1. Unless that lag time is a glitch???

The graphics are beautiful and I like that the main player has a pal along with her. The demo seemed to be logical so that I was able to figure out what to do to move along in the story. I did use the Hint twice, did not use the Strategy Guide - surprisingly...normally I do. Either this game is easy or I am becoming 'experienced' in this type of game. Whichever, I really enjoyed playing the trial version.

The mini-games were fun. HO's were the normal type and you can play Match Game instead. Not too many of either in the demo.

This game was fun and scenic. Even if it is a repeat type of subject, there are differences so try it, you might like it.

I wonder if the Bonus Game is a continuation or if the game finishes nicely without it. I like to know so I can make a decision on whether to buy the CE or wait for the SE. Has any Fishie finished the game and willing to provide this info?

Edited on 07/24/2016 at 3:39:39 PM PST

[Post New]by OregonPandora on Jul 27, 16 8:10 AM
Jan1949, the bonus is rather short and is a prequel to the story. However, it just shows us in "pictures" of what we have already learned from the main game...the slaughter of the expedition party. So basically it is just a rehash and adds nothing to the game in my opinion. This was definitely the weakest of this 3 game series and if I had it to do over again, I would get the SE. For me, the time lag between scenes got even longer. Very annoying.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Jul 29, 16 1:31 PM
OregonPandora wrote:Jan1949, the bonus is rather short and is a prequel to the story. However, it just shows us in "pictures" of what we have already learned from the main game...the slaughter of the expedition party. So basically it is just a rehash and adds nothing to the game in my opinion. This was definitely the weakest of this 3 game series and if I had it to do over again, I would get the SE. For me, the time lag between scenes got even longer. Very annoying.

Hi ,

Exactly my point too!

I just finished the game now, and I had long time lags in all the scenes! That was really annoying!!!
I have Windows 7 Premium, and I'm not going to change for Windows 10, not glitches except for the time lags.

The BC finished so abruptly and Oregon Pandora explained very well what it's about, and I recommend the SE. In my case seldom I found collectibles, not reason to have the CE.

Overall I liked the story's flow and not so many HOS.

Happy gaming ,
M.

Edited on 07/29/2016 at 3:36:28 PM PST

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Jul 31, 16 8:08 PM
I did like the game but was turned off with black screen between scenes. Due to the black screen I missed some of the cut scene towards the end. This horrible lag in between scenes was frustrating.

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Aug 2, 16 8:29 PM
I don't know if it is just me, but I just don't understand this game at all. The graphics are great, the collectibles are hard to find, but trying to fulfill the tasks on the game, it just didn't make much sense. I had a helluva time trying to find objects in several of the HOS. And the camera HOS? If we aren't professional photographers, how are we supposed to know what those items are?? And I had to double check that I was on the casual setting. I play HOGs all the time, and regularly buy the collector's editions. That's why I had bought this one, as I didn't have this much trouble in the demo. Now I regret buying the game. Gives me a migraine to have to think that hard on a casual setting.

[Post New]by burylass on Aug 5, 16 5:29 AM
I was enjoying playing the game until I had to collect the portal scraps it seems the second lot of scraps are nowhere to be found I found portal scraps one, three and four, tried the walkthrough but no joy it all it was showing was 1,3,4 portal scraps if anyone has finished the game could you please enlighten me as to were I might find the rest of the portal scraps, I am getting very frustrated otherwise the game is great.

peszeki
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by peszeki on Dec 25, 16 11:15 PM
Well... sorry to say, I am not very happy about this one. I loved the first two Enigmatis games but I got no enjoyment out of this one. HOS are just impossible - meaning no way you can enjoy earning all the the achievements. Or if you do, I really envy you.
If you did, please brag. I personally think it is not doable on first try. But I am opened to other views.

Story so,so. Morphing "things" - again, almost impossible to spot in most scenes.
BTW a message to developers: we (at least I) like hidden gems like morphing objects. We really do. But 3 types of "suspected" morphing/special objects in the same scene? Sorry, no fun. Just takes away from the fun of playing .Just "too much" distraction.

I am thinking all these recent ( a year or so) CEs are just taking away the fun out of playing. Maybe I should stick to SE from now on.

Again - the message to developers: If you think along the lines:.."We make it almost impossible for players to earn most of the achievements.. then they will keep playing .. and love it for the long repayable game". Wrong. Not enough fun in replaying. There are other games to play, books to read, movies to watch. As for me, you just made me regret buying this game.. and I think I will not buy another one made by you.SE included.

Anyone knows how to find out the developer of the game sold by Big Fish? Before you buy and commit?

Go to: