Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches: comments and reviews

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Feb 21, 10 4:02 AM
I like Point and Click Adventure Games, pretty much anything to do with Great Britain, have a fondness for Welsh folklore. There was several good jolts of creepy right off the bat, hints at more interesting stuff to come, reasons to take notes (geek love! ) and gotta love the Developer's tag line of "The Story is the Game" if you are a storyline lover like me. I was looking forward to this and thought it might bring me back from my Large File Adventure hiatus (self-imposed for non-finished games ) but sadly this was not to be.

The graphics were clear but surprisingly simple for a game that came out in 2008. I was doing interior renderings on computer as good as these in my work in the late 1990s. Music was pretty though and voice acting not bad, so I was looking forward to more. Cool to see a Picasso in the front hall.

However I found the controls so clumsy and tasks so illogical I could not bring myself to continue much past said front hall.This may well develop into something really cool but the several minutes I spent trying to pick up a piece of paper off the floor killed it. Seriously. A note, on the floor, in plain sight when you enter a room is gold in Adventure games. But no matter how I turned or looked I was never in a position to pick it up. Maybe later it would activate, such was hinted at in the instructions, but that's just not logical. You walk into a room where you've been told notes would be left and see one, you'll pick it up, no? Similar to the 2nd task as you enter - turn on the mains so you can turn on the light. Obviously the box to do so is at the door but no active hand cursor...? I must first try the light switch before the box can be opened, even tho I was warned twice I'd need to turn on the mains! This one step forward one back is unnecessary and frustrating past a point I am willing to go.

Then there are the pop-up menus at top and bottom of the screen, particularly the bottom one. In my dogged search for a way to pick up the ^$#&^ note off the floor I knew I would need to find a "look down" arrow so I moused towards the bottom *pop* move cursor *pop* move cursor *pop*... Considering the bottom menu has only 3 selections could it not be incorporated into the top Menu/Inventory?

So sad to say I bailed. Good luck to all you far more patient fishies. Looks like a good story if you stick it out.

(up for potential down for illogicality and frustration)

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

Re:Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches: comments and reviews

[Post New]by krissywillow on Feb 21, 10 5:37 AM
Thanks for that great review. I've started playing LFA games, I'm new at them so far so can't handle anything too complicated (I'm playing Scorpio Rituals now..nearing the end of it). Decided I like LFA point and click games so have been on occasion checking them out (rather than ignoring them completely like I used to). It was good to see a new one today.

Your review has pretty much decided it for me, though. Not being able to do something that obviously should be done just seems wrong in a game of this type. And even the screenshots don't look very interesting.

I'll look at the video clip. If this is a first-person "puker", it's a definite no-buy for me anyway.

Thanks again for the good review.

ETA: Just watched video clip (should have done so before I wrote this. This game is a first-person "360" (that's what I call them, don't know if that's apt) game...aka a "puker"...they make me

Edited on 3/22/10 to add--
Ok this is in fact not a "puker" because it doesn't pan around, it's clickable screens. So I can play w/out dizziness as long as I dont' go too fast.

When I wrote the original review I was unable to trial the game due to pc being in the shop. I ended up buying Rhiannon site unseen because I had one more punch to fill up a card and was desperate to find something.

ANywho, I only now got around to playing the trial. I did have some trouble navigating and kept going in and out the same door(s) but I started getting the hang of it. I found some stuff I didnt need which it did let me pick up, but when my trial ended I still hadn't found the study key. Might have to resort to UHS or walkthrough if I can't find it when I play the full version, which, by the way, I haven't installed yet to save space (since I'm playing a few other LFA games atm).

I guess I can say after playing the trial that I don't regret using a credit on the game, but that's with some reservation; I'll know more once I play longer. The game is challenging and I do like that, but I'd have preferred a third-person character (like in Scorpio Rituals or SYberia) to move around rather than the first-person view and all the clickity clicking trying to get my bearings.

Edited on 03/22/2010 at 10:28:44 AM PST

jujus1a
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by jujus1a on Feb 21, 10 5:42 AM
I played for half an hr and I had no idea what I was looking after I found the key, torch the other key. found lots of other stuff some was saved and others I had to put back for a later time. But I still had no idea what I was looking for and what the aim was. I just spent the time clicking around randomly looking for something but I have no idea what it was I was looking for and there was no hints as to what I should be doing. Now that I have vented I will go and delete this useless waste of time.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Feb 21, 10 6:04 AM
krissywillow wrote:Thanks for that great review. I've started playing LFA games, I'm new at them so far so can't handle anything too complicated (I'm playing Scorpio Rituals now..nearing the end of it). Decided I like LFA point and click games so have been on occasion checking them out (rather than ignoring them completely like I used to). It was good to see a new one today.

Your review has pretty much decided it for me, though. Not being able to do something that obviously should be done just seems wrong in a game of this type. And even the screenshots don't look very interesting.

I'll look at the video clip. If this is a first-person "puker", it's a definite no-buy for me anyway.

Thanks again for the good review.

ETA: Just watched video clip (should have done so before I wrote this. This game is a first-person "360" (that's what I call them, don't know if that's apt) game...aka a "puker"...they make me

I so agree with you krissywillow in thanking Poodlebear for a great thorough review,that with your very helpful additions, sure told me all I need to know as well, 360 degree, first person puker,and lousy game controls,this is a huge NO WAY!

BTW, I Love Chronicles Of Mystery:The Scorpio Ritual,and it is a beautiful game with good story and great voice acting too.

Edited on 02/21/2010 at 9:07:15 PM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Feb 21, 10 7:23 AM
Well, it sounded good, so I downloaded the trial...but reading all the stuff that folks are saying leads me to believe that this game and I will not be a match made in heaven. Guess I will hang on to the trial and go play the others that I have waiting for me. After working my three twelves, I am tired now, but know that I will play all 'night' long after I get my beauty rest. I am sure that I will try this one later on this week, but I am not a fan of endless wandering, clicking and pointing, and illogical playing. But the story sounds good...

lindaa1
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by lindaa1 on Feb 21, 10 7:35 AM
I had no problem picking up the note at all. Am enjoying the game and now just waiting for the bought version to download. True, the graphics are not that busy as in hidden object junk pile games. The tasks so far don't seem illogical, gather kindling, wood, and lighter for the fire and light it. Feed the cat (I haven't seen it yet but it has eaten three bowls of food already and left me three little dead mice yuk). What is wrong with 360 degrees? This kind of game may not be for everyone but those that like adventure games will find it very enjoyable.

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by bluesinew on Feb 21, 10 7:43 AM
I haven't played a game like this in years, Ravenhurst, Myst, etc., most non casual games I play are action adventures,Tombraider series, Max Payne etc. I have to say it was nice to return to this type of game play. Basically, it is what it is, a point and click adventure game . . .which doesn't seem to be everyones cup of tea. Not a lot of action, just a slow paced adventure game, that makes you think. I was grateful to Big Fish for providing a trial version for a casual adventure game that wasn't a HOG, IHOG. I played for about a half hour and completed all the tasks that I could in the trial before I ran into areas that were off limits. I had no problem with the controls and the game ran smoothly. I played long enough to get hooked enough to probably purchase this game in the future. It is a great change of pace from the majority of casual games that are currently available. I would recommend this to those who want a different gaming experience. I would like to add that I have computer with a high end processor and video card. I recommend that before you try a game you check the technical specs for each game. Most of time the experience you have is directly related to playing a game your computer can not handle.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 21, 10 8:06 AM
I deleted this after about 10 mins, hidden objects so easy to find and then a lot of aimless wandering about to find something to do, as happens with a lot of these games. And I hate 360o games, they make me dizzy. Perhaps I'm all 'gamed out' lately but can't find anything that holds my interest for long; aside from The Tarot's Misfortune, which I bought, I've deleted all the offerings before the trial was over. Longing for another MCF but in the meantime I'm returning to Sweeney Todd, which I've yet to finish!

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Feb 21, 10 8:06 AM
Judging from the trial, I will really like this game. I thought the graphics were very nice, creating a good feeling of the surroundings with nice details. Had absolutely no problems picking up the note and while I at first stumbled over not being able to open the mains before trying the light switch, I don't think that's a big deal. The tasks so far seem logical, though I'm not yet far into the game.
I love haunted house stories and actually just two days ago I was looking for adventures with haunted house themes. So far, the "spooky" effects in the game were nicely done, I actually did jump a bit when that ghost appeared in the mirror. And the ghost on the stairs would have had me running out of the house screaming in real life .
I don't mind the first-person perspective at all, makes it more real in my opinion.
The tutorial was well done - informative without being tedious. Generally, this is a game I'm curious about. If I hadn't just spent my game credit, this would be an immediate buy. The only thing I didn't like so much was the very short demo (or rather the limited scope of the demo). That always makes me worry about the duration of the game - don't want to buy it and then be done after 1 1/2 hours. Still, this is on my want-to-have list.

scattycat
Flounder
Flounder
2,371 Posts

[Post New]by scattycat on Feb 21, 10 9:02 AM
I played this game a while ago with my mum and we did find it quite difficult to complete - i'm afraid we needed to consult a walk through on many occasions. It is not a hidden object game but an adventure game. The inventory is large but there are numerous objects that you need - so if you can pick up an object but it doesn't go into your inventory then you do not need to use it yet, When you do need it it will be placed in your inventory. And I doubt that any one needs to worry that they will complete this game in a couple of hours! The graphics are superb and it can be quite atmospheric at times but on the whole this was not one of my favourite games
I think being the only character was supposed to increase the atmosphere and feeling of isolation but to me it just felt too silent. Even if the character has talked to himself sometimes it would have helped. Having said that I would recommend another adventure game that this company produced called "the lost crown" - very spooky and atmospheric - had me jumping many times.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Feb 21, 10 9:30 AM
Oh, just checked out "The Lost Crown" and put that on my wish list! Thanks for that recommendation, Scattycat! Looks very promising. Also good to know that Rhiannon is a longer game. I'll definitely buying it then.

A1psyko
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by A1psyko on Feb 21, 10 9:35 AM
Game locked up after 10 minutes. Hard to move around. Not interesting. Unless someone can tell me it gets better, I am deleting.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Feb 21, 10 9:37 AM
lindaa1 wrote:What is wrong with 360 degrees?

Nothing is "wrong" with it. It's just that for some folks, myself included, that type of perspective makes us motion sick.

I wish I could play these types of games, because not being able to means there are many that are probably great, which I must pass by. But alas, I cannot.

dachawawa
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by dachawawa on Feb 21, 10 9:50 AM
Biggest waste of time I've experienced since I joined.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Feb 21, 10 9:50 AM
I deleted this after about 10 mins, hidden objects so easy to find and then a lot of aimless wandering about to find something to do

Well, gee. This is NOT a hidden object game, LOL. In adventure games, things you need may or may not be hidden. And it is not "aimless wandering", it is exploring your environment.

I came late to casual games, starting out on point and click adventures. I love this kind of play! To me, a lot of casual games are way too easy, with everything you have to do being pretty obvious. I enjoy them, but most of them aren't too challenging.

As to the 360, I absolutely love it! You just have to learn to control your cursor, and once you do, it makes the game much easier. Older games such as Myst made you click to scroll to the next scene. Riven was gorgeous, but having to click 4 times to look in a circle was very confusing. The first true 360 I played was RealMyst, and it was ... MAGIC! And still possibly the most beautiful game I've ever played. OTOH, I have never suffered from motion sickness (except roller coasters - more the speed than the motion, I think) so I may not be understanding this.

If it is a tad minimalist, that's okay. In this sort of game, it actually adds to the creep factor. This is a definite buy for me, though since it is so large, I may spring for the CD. I have broadband, but worry about download glitches as described on another thread...

Another great game that will scare your sox off is Scratches: Director's Cut, but not available here. Wish BFG would get it. LI has it, and we get games that they do.

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Feb 21, 10 9:57 AM
Very boring I also bailed this game!

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Feb 21, 10 10:46 AM
I'm still a tad undecided at the moment. I like the good old point and click adventures (and Rhiannon definitely is one of these) and I've got no problems at all with 360° games. There have been two nice scary effects for me so far (mirror and stairs), but somehow I'm not used to finding objects and not being able to pick them up immediately (classic point and click adventures allow for a huge inventory that would never exist in the real world).

It seems interesting and I love scary stories, but I'm not really sure if I can get my mind around that 'running back and getting an item, because I did not need it before' strategy.

As a seasoned adventure player, I'm used to stuffing everything in my pocket once I see it.

azmesa340
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by azmesa340 on Feb 21, 10 10:56 AM
I'm with Poodlebear.....completely lost in the hall and no hints as to what to do with newspaper....was just spinning my wheels - no buy for me.

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Feb 21, 10 11:17 AM
Tried it again and still no go. I like adventure games and had high hopes for this one but to me, it's more of a step back to old games (meaning those 4-6 yrs old).

There's just something lacking about it that fails to hold my interest.

penhaligon
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by penhaligon on Feb 21, 10 11:37 AM
Simple and great tutorial before starting the game.
I find the movement choppy and the directions of the arrows worse. Trying to go back and always getting the bottom "menu" is soooo infuriating; whoever said they had room at the top makes a great point.
I am still undecided on this one - may save for a rainy day!

Go to: