bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Welcome to Travels With Gulliver forum

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Feb 22, 10 12:05 AM
Welcome to Travels With Gulliver forum! This is your place to ask questions, share tips, and connect with other Travels With Gulliver players.

If you have questions about how to use the forums, please click the FAQ link on the right.

Mamoufle
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

Re:Welcome to Travels With Gulliver forum

[Post New]by Mamoufle on Feb 22, 10 2:42 AM
Do you know how many levels are there ?

paradoxno1
Flounder
Flounder
2,497 Posts

[Post New]by paradoxno1 on Feb 22, 10 3:38 AM
From a web site ......

87 Match-3 levels providing 6-10 hours game play (or more!)
7 Jigsaw puzzles
7 Unlock-able wallpapers
Collect postcards and passport stamps
Beautiful artwork
A spectacular soundtrack
Accessible adaptation of the classic Gulliver story

Mamoufle
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by Mamoufle on Feb 22, 10 3:50 AM
Thank you very much

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Feb 22, 10 6:37 AM
Absolutely delightful game. Great art, nice music, and there are several things going on. Although I haven't finished the hour demo, I've gotten to put a picture puzzle together along with the M3 play.

And--readers, writers, and lit teachers can rejoice! Along with the game play is the actual Gulliver's Travels story in out-takes! Yeaaaa!

There are options that allow you to play with or without a timer. And, it looks like you can change that decision at each level.

The only thing I don't like so far is the pastel crowns used as icons. And too many colors in icons sometimes smished into smaller playspaces. Then again, I'm sensitive to lots of clashing colors, lights, etc. May not bother anyone else.

There's also a personal story theme running through the cruise. And someone's stealing small items. So there's a mystery developing too, as well as characters.

And there are even !

As I'm playing without a timer right now, I don't know if the game is really simple or not, but it is relaxing in this mode. And it's getting harder, even in relaxed mode, as I go along, so I suspect it'll present challenges.

And, you can collect tourist postcards, which flip over to give info about that place, and wallpapers. Plus, of course, the passport stamps on your visa.

This is on my must buy list.

edited for typos.

Edited on 02/22/2010 at 6:39:06 AM PST

ducle
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
422 Posts

[Post New]by ducle on Feb 22, 10 7:49 AM
Quick question: I've only played about 5 min. of the demo. So far the match-3's are either chain and group mode. Is there any swap? I like the game, but I really prefer swap to the others--for some reason, it's faster going for me.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Feb 22, 10 8:04 AM
ducle wrote:Quick question: I've only played about 5 min. of the demo. So far the match-3's are either chain and group mode. Is there any swap? I like the game, but I really prefer swap to the others--for some reason, it's faster going for me.

I agree with you on that one ducle. I too prefer the swap mode. This one of the reasons I won't buy this game. I think that as much as people like the timed-untimed mode in Match 3 games, their should also be an option of play modes.

As far as I can tell, I don't see that option.

stone07
Koi
Koi
68,662 Posts

[Post New]by stone07 on Feb 22, 10 8:25 AM
Pepper010 wrote:Absolutely delightful game. Great art, nice music, and there are several things going on. Although I haven't finished the hour demo, I've gotten to put a picture puzzle together along with the M3 play.

And--readers, writers, and lit teachers can rejoice! Along with the game play is the actual Gulliver's Travels story in out-takes! Yeaaaa!

There are options that allow you to play with or without a timer. And, it looks like you can change that decision at each level.

The only thing I don't like so far is the pastel crowns used as icons. And too many colors in icons sometimes smished into smaller playspaces. Then again, I'm sensitive to lots of clashing colors, lights, etc. May not bother anyone else.

There's also a personal story theme running through the cruise. And someone's stealing small items. So there's a mystery developing too, as well as characters.

And there are even !

As I'm playing without a timer right now, I don't know if the game is really simple or not, but it is relaxing in this mode. And it's getting harder, even in relaxed mode, as I go along, so I suspect it'll present challenges.

And, you can collect tourist postcards, which flip over to give info about that place, and wallpapers. Plus, of course, the passport stamps on your visa.

This is on my must buy list.

edited for typos.

Double dittos for me - I was very surprised when my demo finished. Time passed very fast and I wasn't bored.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Feb 22, 10 9:13 AM
I love M3 games and I'm looking for one that's has a good storyline and is challenging. This game meets one of these requirements. As has been said, the storyline is pretty much on target. As M3 games go, I will put this in the OK category. You have two matching options as the game progresses -- chain and pop 3 or more tiles. You have several power ups and you can start earning them pretty early in the game. You can also play timed or relaxed mode. I played time and didn't have a trouble beating the clock. You earn post cards and stamps throughout the game.

While I like the game in general, after 35 minutes of play time, I became bored with the game. After chaining and popping, I was still looking for more of a challenge in the game. I played 20 levels (understand there might be as many as 80 something). Perhaps the game becomes more challenging at later levels.

I give this game my approval for art work, storyline and as an OK M3 game. However, I don't think I will purchase until it becomes a deal of the day. Not enough diversity in the game. (for me).--

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Feb 22, 10 10:08 AM
I won't repeat what others have already said, but I do love many features of this game -- untimed, nice music, optional custom cursor, an excellent power-up system (you can choose whether to use several lower-value ones or one higher-value one, they all charge the same way), and an actual scoring sytem (too many Match-3's have what I think of as "fake" scoring -- you get points, but they are never saved and you can't compare rounds).

I also love to see those schools of swim away when they are matched.

A big plus for me is that there is no voice. Most voices annoy me, and I'm a fast reader, so I prefer to read the story. I also like the postcard puzzles. They are just hard enough to be fun.

On the negative side, I'm not that fond of the hexagon type game boards, and the boards are not quite big enough, although they vary and are fairly complex. Also, I have some physical difficulty with the chain mode, so I wish I could choose to use all group mode play.

I'll call this one Lisa-approved with because it is imaginative and different.

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Feb 22, 10 2:51 PM
OK. As I like IHOG's way more than HOG's, I also like more to my Match 3 choices. There is nothing different in this M3 to make it stand out from the rest.

Go to: