bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Feb 22, 10 2:10 PM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

Edited on 03/10/2010 at 2:33:43 PM PST

AndysRJ
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches

[Post New]by AndysRJ on Feb 23, 10 4:48 PM
First I want to say that I have never reviewed a game before now, but I simply could not let this one pass. This game is wonderful!! Graphics, sound, story, tasks...everything! Yes, it is a difficult game and those who are new to these types of games may get frustrated and give up, but I urge you to do your best to complete this game.

It took me a solid couple of days to finish it but I used hints a few times. If you can resolve to stay away from the hints this game could easily take several days to complete.
When they say "The story is the game" they are not kididng. You really have to get into the story to keep up and I find that to be a refreshing break from the mindless point-and-click games that seem to be so popular.

My hats off the BFG and I can't wait for the next game of this calibur!!!

sonband1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by sonband1 on Feb 24, 10 8:59 AM
bfgZambezi wrote:Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

diji
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by diji on Feb 24, 10 1:30 PM
I LOVE this game. I have to say, for those complaining of games being too short (and I am one of you) you will be thrilled by how long this one takes you! Still trying to finish it and still have a long way to go.

Thanks BFG for this one!

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Feb 24, 10 2:32 PM
This is one of the best games I have played in the past 8 months. I urge everyone to not give up on this game. If you do give up you are missing out on a lot of fun.

[Post New]by kiddledo on Feb 25, 10 6:01 AM
Hate this game!!!!!would like to get my money back if that is possible. Love long stories and games but do not have the time to wander around and around..tried to play when it down loaded but with so little results... I quit. Not worth going step by step with the walk through blog
How about it, can I have a do over?

Saelihnne
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Saelihnne on Feb 25, 10 4:35 PM
I did not care for this game either and I am usually a huge fan of this genre of game.

I found myself annoyed more often than not, with the style of game play.
Maybe I will try it again at another time.

zed3
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by zed3 on Feb 26, 10 9:25 AM
Love this game but could do with some interaction with the main character - what she's thinking, planning next steps etc. On the whole though a really good game that keeps you engaged and thinking. One slight irritation is the linear nature of the game. It would be better if you could follow your instincts more and keep things you've found to use.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Feb 28, 10 8:58 AM
bfgZambezi wrote:Hey Fishies!

Happy gaming!

I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Great graphics, challenging puzzles, entertaining story line. I did use the walkthrough hints on occasion, but overall, found many tasks logical and I was able to complete most without help. Love the in-game Map feature. Once I'd carefully explored an area, it helped me take short-cuts to fetch items I needed. I also found the in-game Notes helpful hints, when needed.

I rate this game an 8 on a 10 point scale.

[Post New]by rickzzzzz on Feb 28, 10 11:14 AM
This is the best game that I ever downloaded... Need more like this

[Post New]by Edith67 on Feb 28, 10 3:21 PM
i have just completed this game and what a super one it is! The graphics are superb and after re-downloading again it worked with out a hitch. Can't wait for the next game to come out. Thanks for the many hours of pleasure you have given me.

Edited on 02/28/2010 at 3:22:38 PM PST

paula331
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by paula331 on Mar 2, 10 3:03 PM
I just finished this game. It was awsome! The graphics are great, great story, great game play.This was one of those games that takes a long time to play, and to me, you will definately get your money's worth. I'd rather play a game that takes longer to finish, then to play a game that is over in less than 2 hrs. You be the judge. we need more like this BF, Paula

Game_Toad
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by Game_Toad on Mar 2, 10 8:46 PM
Although I never saved a game during the trial period, I did have inventory problems. I was able to complete the game without any inventory issues after uninstalling and reinstalling the game with the build that fixed the trial save file problem. So, it's possible that original version had more than just trial save file issues.

Anyway, inventory issues notwithstanding, I found this to be an enjoyable game. Almost all the tasks were intuitive, as long as you read everything, checked your notebook, and paid attention to where you found objects for use later.

I really like the fact that there was a map included that allowed jumping to places previously visited.

A couple of things I'd like to see changed if the developers go on with another game, which I hope they do:

1) I got really irritated by the menu bars popping up, especially the bottom one. I think it would be much better to just have some empty space in their position, rather than the scene extending all the way to the top and bottom. The hidden effect is fine, since it keeps the screen from looking too cluttered, but it's too easy to mouse into them while looking for objects.
2) The inventory gets very unwieldy at times...is it possible to move documents related to earlier tasks to a scrapbook or file cabinet and get them out of the main inventory? Some, like the letter at the beginning of the game, are essentially useless once the game starts, but there it sits.
3) The task list could use some work...active tasks should be listed first. I finally started paging backwards to get to the latest tasks, which seems kind of silly (I liked the way it dinged to let you know something new was added...it's easy to forget to check without the reminder).
4) Sometimes the navigation seemed a bit odd/awkward (however, as one of those people who gets nauseous with the swooping first-person navigation, I'm grateful you didn't go that route). And, it was weird that you could cross the river once the graveyard key was found, but not before. Since when does a key enable river crossing...why couldn't we walk right up to the gate and just not be able to get in until the time was right? I know, that's a bit nit-picky.

As I said, an enjoyable game with nice graphics and sound, decent puzzles, and a reasonable amount of game play; I'm looking forward to the next one (though I hope it doesn't take two years!).

wildvaniilagirl
Shark
Shark
14,009 Posts

[Post New]by wildvaniilagirl on Mar 2, 10 9:33 PM
wicked good game'''at times i had to take a break, I would play a few hrs, then play next day a few hrs, but must say I bought guide,,there is no way you can finish the game with out it, but loved it,had a wicked hard time with the bird on top of the darn house,wish i could have shot it down,but had to find the ladder then go back up again....oops,gave that away '''thats ok the game is hard enough,so one slipped by.......took me about a week to finish, felt like I was living in the game,want to hear something funny''''my husband said on night i was clicking in my sleep'''john said what are you doing? I said trying to find my way out''''now thats sad, thats why I only play durning the day, for 2 hrs only,we sleep better now,,,,,,,,,,have fun playing ........................linda...

wildvaniilagirl
Shark
Shark
14,009 Posts

[Post New]by wildvaniilagirl on Mar 2, 10 10:14 PM
one last thing;;;;;sorry ment to say it before''''''''this is all in fun;and your great at it,can't believe the talent you guys have,so cool'mom of 2, one 32 ,33,and I love your games,for the first time I can play,time for me' ty big fish,,,keep them comming ...wildvanillagirl.

emandes
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by emandes on Mar 3, 10 8:55 AM
what a wonderful game it`s spell binding, It has taken me almost a fortnight to complete but I am an old aged pensioner. I tried to work mostly from the notes but did have one or two hiccoughs where I had to refer to the walkthroughs. It`s a hard game needing a lot of thought and a lot of spare paper to write your own notes.

This is the best game i`ve bought and well worth every penny I will definitely play this again and again.
Thank you for this story can`t wait for the next one.

Margo.

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by cjpandie on Mar 5, 10 8:37 AM
[b]I have never had much success with this type of game before but, thought I would try again. And I have run into some problems with this one too. If I can't get some thing to go as the walkthrough says it should I go back and think, what haven't I done and that usually takes care of the problem. However, I have run into a problem getting into Rhiannon's room. When I first clicked on it, it let me in and threw me out. Now I cannot get in there. I have clicked on the letters that it tells me to, repeatedly but nothing seems to work. I have checked out all the outside areas that I can find and gone in and out and still cannot get into that room. I need those diaries, I know to get anywhere. So I will keep trying and possibly complaining untill I either get tired of the game or find a way in.

[Post New]by peggysu on Mar 5, 10 3:55 PM
We hated this game. "We" being sister and I - not the royal WE. But you can curtsy if you like... lol!

We play a couple of hours every night when we find a game in this genre. However this one was not fun at all. We ended up having to pull up a walkthru to get thru it.

There's no real dialogue, no interactive play with the character, no hints to say, "I don't need this yet" or "that won't work" or anything! It's just mindless attempts to figure out what goes where.

The combinations to get the orbs was a crap shoot... who would think to combine cement with a hat - or whatever it was... and put it in a burn barrell. ??? Sheeesh.

We like a challenge within reason but this was really more of a gambler's game. If you're lucky and guess right you got a clue in your notebook. Bummer.

katmandan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by katmandan on Mar 5, 10 4:57 PM
wildvaniilagirl wrote:wicked good game'''at times i had to take a break, I would play a few hrs, then play next day a few hrs, but must say I bought guide,,there is no way you can finish the game with out it, but loved it,had a wicked hard time with the bird on top of the darn house,wish i could have shot it down,but had to find the ladder then go back up again....oops,gave that away '''thats ok the game is hard enough,so one slipped by.......took me about a week to finish, felt like I was living in the game,want to hear something funny''''my husband said on night i was clicking in my sleep'''john said what are you doing? I said trying to find my way out''''now thats sad, thats why I only play durning the day, for 2 hrs only,we sleep better now,,,,,,,,,,have fun playing ........................linda...

Generally I have a problem with logical linear games (which is weird since I'm a linear logical type guy, so they say.)

I did the trial offer and was intrigued, I thought this would be an interesting game to play but was worried, because I got both the Syberia games and Paradise and resorted to the walk-through too many times - that is not fun. But now, when wildvaniilagirl says she dreamt of it when she was playing the game. To me this is a great recommendation, I am not being sarcastic, if I don't think of a game when I am away from it: It's a normal game. Thanks wvg for your recommendation.

Edited on 03/05/2010 at 5:25:15 PM PST

wwax
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by wwax on Mar 7, 10 5:04 PM
I knew of this game prior to buying it from BFG and was intrigued by the storyline. I have just finished playing the game, which took several days even using the walkthrough from time to time. I would recommend the game for all who enjoy playing games in a less frenetic manner, though still with tension and some real frights. The game reminded me to an extent of the Swedish detective Carol Reed mysteries, I note from the credits that Len Green featured as he does in the Carol Reed mysteries and wonder which other games have included his expertise and will look out for them. I would like to congratulate all those involved in this game and BFG for offering it to us, more of.same please.

Edited on 03/07/2010 at 5:09:15 PM PST

Go to: