Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lindarh22 on Feb 2, 11 7:46 PM
I have played every single MCF game that has been released so far and I have to admit that I liked this one the least out of them all.
All the other games seem to have an eerie quality to them, that this one seemed to have lacked.

It was good for a hidden object games, but it was a little annoying doing chores for almost the entire game. I wasn't solving much, just doing everyone else s work for them. Then that dude is all yelling at you at the end to "find the skulls!" not cool.
Yea, defiantly not my favorite MCF game.
However I cannot WAIT for the next installment of the Ravenhearst series!!!!

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lindarh22 on Feb 2, 11 7:58 PM
Seascape6 wrote:I haven't finished the game, but I've been playing for some time now. The graphics are great, I don't mind the real life people vignettes, the acting is good, I like the music and sound effects...but Dire Grove it isn't. I found Dire Grove to be much more atmospheric and challenging.

I actually got onto the forums to see if I was not finding a means of turning off all of the direction/instruction in the game. Apparently this isn't the case from reading the other posts in this thread.

I feel like I'm playing with a walkthrough open in front of me. I'm told where to go, what to do, where to find things, what they look like, where to put them, who to talk to next....there is nothing left to figure out for myself, so not only do I not find the game challenging, I find it much, much too easy.

I will finish playing the game, but don't feel a sense of urgency to get back to it.

I totally agree!!

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Feb 3, 11 12:35 PM
Finished 13th Skull, CE: Have all MCF games. Only one that gave me problems, along with ruining my eyes, is 13th Skull. 13th Skull tested my patience! It is really different and very busy (even the puzzles have puzzles). I did not care for the humans, but they were functional, unlike “Dire Grove. Caught up in the exciting storyline, I was upset when it abruptly ended – or so I thought (ha-ha).

Never heard of a walkthrough before “Dire Grove” & “13th Skull”, but 13th Skull absolutely cannot be solved without a walkthrough. “Return to Ravenhearst” was the absolute best (87 hours to solve)! Loved “Madam Fate” & the surprise ending; and loved “Dire Grove”, especially the puzzles.

Puzzles requiring agility/speed, like “weed (flowers) clipping” were impossible for me. With so many puzzles in the game, you can afford to have fewer elements in a puzzles that require agility, 3 less white flowers would have been great. I would like more HOG in games.

Had as much fun laughing at the forum comments --laughed so hard at some comments till I cried! Most all mirrored my dilemmas, especially where people say they did all the right things and it still didn’t work which happened a lot because people expect tools to work the way “they” use them.

Had many mixed emotions while playing the game - thought it too long/complicated; got frustrated with solutions, which could not be solved without hints, forum, and spoilers. Upon completing the game I find I loved it and am getting ready to restart. My achievement level is 28% (Sad); found no gold coins (didn’t know they existed); had nothing to go into the chest on the ship. Guess I missed something!
Thanks – looking forward to replaying, and to the next MCF challenge.

Edited on 02/03/2011 at 1:17:42 PM PST

[Post New]by fairieverte on Feb 4, 11 7:04 PM
All I have to say is, I probably would have loved this game if I hadn't played Dire Grove first. That one pretty much set the bar so high it's going to take something really rockin' to get close. But I sure enjoyed this effort. Lots of very detailed, believable locations, interesting characters, some nice technological advances, and plot that made sense (for . . . the most part. Things kind of fell apart a little at the end, and I had to turn off my sound so that I didn't have to hear **** keep bugging me to hurry up).

Yay for good times!

[Post New]by ecrvtbyn on Feb 6, 11 5:06 AM
This version is really like a "case" : the Master Detective has to search for a lot of clues and do things in sequence, unlike Dire Grove or R.T.Ravenhearst (in the 2 versions the detective even be able to take items that he doesn't know what to do with them. In Dire Grove , he can take Salt, Mercury, Feather etc. before he knows that they are just useful at the end. I feel like the detective has already known the whole story himself. But in 13th Skull, he has to go talk for clues, search for items each time he finds something mystery. I think it's quite logical). I also like the game because of its great graphics, realistic actors, music and sounds, and the story as well.
What i don't like is, the "Master" Detective makes himself be a... kinda servant of all the people he meets. I really can't think of a Detective doing chores for a maid and a gardener, finding some stupid crayons for a child etc. (hate the cleaning toilet most >.< ). Well, and there is something bad about the storyline too. "Mrs. Lawson" and her child, who turned out to be criminals at the end, they actually wanted the detective to find out the mystery as fast as possible. So they should not ask him for favors, such as : the child should show the detective where the mystery box is, not ask him to find crayons first!
Well, in spite of those, i think until now i just can't find out which i like best between R.T.R, Dire Grove and 13th Skull.
BFG you really did great jobs. Looking forward to a new version.

Edited on 02/06/2011 at 5:07:26 AM PST

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by julie_joolsUK on Feb 8, 11 3:57 AM
bfgOkeechobee wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition? ...

I was so looking forward to playing this after the wonderful Return to Ravenhearst & Dire Grove...

I like the music, graphics and HOGs *but* what's with the spoon-feeding 'objectives'? I *don't* want to be told what my next move should be! I like to explore these types of games & work things out intuitively. I find it's just like a tick-list! "Do this, find that, go speak to Mary, walk here" etc etc.

All the mystery has disappeared in an instant. What's the point of a game where there is little to do independently? It becomes a chore instead of a magical mystery tour. A big thumbs down!

For the first time I feel I've wasted my money with an MCF game.

How can I get a refund!!

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Feb 8, 11 5:20 PM
I got 13th Skull CE when it first came out, loved it ....And have yet to finish it. Not because I'm busy..I just don't want to.

Maybe I'm dumb , but once I got to the poiler???

map/cannons, it confused me so much that I just quit. I know ...I'm a quitter.
-lunachan

[Post New]by KalyptoRage on Feb 17, 11 11:17 PM
This is my first time out of the many months being apart of BFG posting ANY opinion about the MCF collections. Firstly, I miss Ravenhurst ever so much! Understand that I am not saying 13th Skull wasn't pretty awesome, however it was not my favorite.

I suppose when the hype of the release marinated in my system, my expectations went too high. I must agree that I miss the classic MCF trademark of using art rather than actors. I feel that the actors take away from the dramatic, abstract world, I (speaking for myself) enjoy exploring. It just..bugged me a little.
On the other hand, I enjoyed the realism at the same time such as being able to take items from the characters. Neat.

If anything else, I was very confused in the beginning when it came down to the bonus material. I was not sure as to what it was exactly until I had to come on the forums and look up that it was The Last Rites...yeah. I thought it would have been an early access to the next MCF since there was an option to beat the game with all the tasks completed (which, mind you, took a minute to do). But instead it felt more like a booby price for the extra 6 dollars.

I hate to complain about it. I really do 'cuz I love you guys and your ideas, games, etc!! If it weren't for your witty, dark humored games, then I wouldn't be hooked. Which makes me conclude with giving this game a 7.5 out of 10. I just hope to see something relating to sir Charles again.

Thanks!

[Post New]by funshop on Feb 26, 11 7:07 PM
This is my first time ever to post on BFG. Just had to send a comment on this game. Bought it yesterday, started playing it bright and early today at 7am and finished about 8pm or so. LOVED IT! MCF games have always been good and entertaining but lately the games have improved soooo much. The 'fun factor' is way up there. MCF 13th Skull was very fun to play. The charactors were hillarious. Loved the realism. Cooter is a hoot! Got stumped a few times on the puzzles, but each one was really unique and stayed in line with the story.
Using a point scale of 1 to 10, my rating for this game is 9+ (excellent game but the ending was not to my liking). Using a star scale of 1 to 5, my rating is 5 stars for the fun-factor, charactorization, graphics, searching out clues, excellent puzzles and the overall good time of play.
Thank you BFG and MCF for a wonder day of fun!

[Post New]by DarleenRae on Feb 28, 11 11:22 AM
It was ok. But to be honest I really much prefer the older games where there are no live actors. It also seems to me that the hidden objects part of the game have been trimmed way back. That's the thing I loved the most about the first MCFs.

I really with you'd go back to that and ditch the live actors.

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by katyhan on Mar 2, 11 9:49 AM
bfgOkeechobee wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

-bfgOkeechobee

[Post New]by missweeza on Mar 11, 11 12:50 PM
This game is awesome! I am never disappointed with Big Fish games. Keep'm coming. :~)

[Post New]by JodiLee1966 on Mar 12, 11 10:43 PM
This was not my favorite MCF at all. I have all the MCF games as well as the Dark Parables games. I thought the live actors were annoying. Their voices were irritating and I hated having to wait for them to finish talking to find out what I needed to do next. Also I hated going on all the lame errands. Some of the puzzles were too hard and not very fun. However, Kudos to the last puzzle. That was awesome! Please go back to the format of Ravenhearst or Dire Grove (my personal favorite!!) Ditch the live actors please!!

marachat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by marachat on Mar 15, 11 9:06 PM
I looove MCF-games and was really seeing forward to this one! Sadly, it was kinda disappointing. The graphics were stunning as always but the live actors were kinda weird in my opinion. A nice variation, but I don't think it fitted this game.
The story was pretty short to be honest, and it was a bit confusing too if I may add.
I liked the bonus game, but it was also too short for my taste!
The puzzles were too boring and/or hard, got my brain hurting.
Music - naah. It was okay in the beginning, but really got on my nerves after a while.
Wrap-up: Lovely eyecandy, but that's about it. Sadly.
Hoping that the next MCF won't be as disappointing as this one was!

JohnMcE
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by JohnMcE on Mar 16, 11 8:51 AM
Does anyone have any idea of when the next MCF will be released? And is there a title yet?

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Mar 16, 11 9:27 PM
JohnMcE wrote:Does anyone have any idea of when the next MCF will be released? And is there a title yet?
They usually come out around Thanksgiving, no title yet that I know of.

MCF with real people!

[Post New]by islandgirl88 on Mar 19, 11 6:47 AM
Scenes with real movies, speak to real people. I love this! It's amazing!

[Post New]by MayPoleLeave on Mar 20, 11 7:58 AM
I would say after reading the comments and having the game start slow that it I thought it would not be good however once it got rolling it was fun. I will say the last part before the bonus the game started to slow. I ended up with 19/20 and 2/10 on the insignias which I don't usually miss that many. Like most I don't like a lot of "handholding" however I find that it woulda been better in some cases. For example the puzzles are always impossible to figure. I have never skipped one ever except in this game where I had to skip the flower one. I figured out after that if I had changed the cursor I coulda did it.

I don't see how it is worth $20 or in my case $14. What is so special about the collector's edition?

All in all I would still say RTR was the best except the ending. Dire Grove the best overall and this one runs about 4th behind Madame Fate.

JohnMcE
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by JohnMcE on Mar 21, 11 5:30 AM
I've played all the MCF games, and thoroughly enjoyed then. And I've also played the Edgar Allen Poe games, the Puppet show games, Stray Souls, Phantasmat, The Witch’s Prison, Lord of Mirrors, Haunted Halls, all of which were good, in that they have lots of locations, items to collect and use, and good effects. But I’ve also downloaded quite a few that I really haven’t enjoyed, such as Syberia. Can anyone recommend other games that I might enjoy similar in style to the ones I’ve listed? Thanks for any advice.

agentalexa
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by agentalexa on Mar 30, 11 2:55 AM
Hello, again I haven't wrote for a long time. I just finished the game and I never believed that it could be so elaborated. When I found the truth about the Lawsons I remained speechless. The last part, with the ships reminded me a little of Titanic. I am asking how will be the next game. Hmmm maybe a sequel to Ravenhearst?I would like to be equally elaborated.

Edited on 03/30/2011 at 2:57:49 AM PST

Go to: