Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Train to Hellswich Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 28, 16 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 07/28/2016 at 5:06:12 AM PST

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Train to Hellswich Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Jul 28, 16 2:44 AM
Why do they have to make the gears cursor so close in appearance to the regular cursor? It makes it so hard to see when you need to do something. The cursor in this game is too small to begin with, let alone trying to discern it from a gears cursor.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Train to Hellswich Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jul 28, 16 5:06 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Trackers: Train to Hellswich Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Trackers: Train to Hellswich Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Trackers: Train to Hellswich Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 28, 16 7:35 AM

Mystery Trackers Goes to Hellswich

As a Mystery Tracker detective, you're about to take a well earned vacation. But soon after you board (or bored) your train, your colleague Larkin - a.k.a Captain Obvious - informs you that "something strange is happening" (what Larkin is doing on the train is not explained). Turns out gifted children are disappearing - yes, again! - and you must save them from the.... wait for it,.. ...wait for it... hooded red-eyed monsters - yes, its them again!

Unfortunately the story is not the only thing rehashed in this, apparently the 10th MT episode (MTX?). In just the demo, you will be presented with not one but TWO missing zipper pulls, a couple of wimpy male characters, silhouette type "what is it?" HO scenes, and an unlocking device which is activated by - gasp! - a match-3 game . Elf is still here , but he's dressed in a silly hat and coat which for me was a big turn off even though I like Elf. Besides all that mundane stuff you'll be oiling rusty things, putting shapes in locks, sharpening saws and running back and forth - a lot. There is also a glaring spelling error, unless you like to eat a "macaron."

The quality of the artwork is fine, but nothing looks like it belongs together. In fact things don't appear to belong in the same century. At times I began to wonder if I was still on the same train. The game really has no coherent visual look which, given the sketchy story and unimaginative play, is probably fitting.

CE extras - as "play" progressed I found myself focusing more on finding the collectibles than following the story - I always consider this a bad sign. There are 27 morphing objects, 32 puzzle pieces, 12 landmarks and 21 achievements. There does not seem to be replay of HOs and puzzles. There is a bonus game, strategy guide and pseudo-extra fluff.

During the demo it isn't made clear what "Hellswich" has to do with the story unless its just a play on "switch" because we're on a train. It would have been better, in this reviewer's opinion, to leave this train at the station until a coherent story and some imaginative play could be developed. If this is one of your first MT games, I could imagine your enjoying playing this, especially if match-3 is your thing. However, as a veteran Tracker I feel this train should go to Hellswich (sorry!) and never return.

ETA: ok so macarons are a thing (thks twinsoniclab). My bad.

Edited on 07/28/2016 at 3:04:57 PM PST

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Jul 28, 16 7:48 AM
I found this game rather dull, I switched off mentally a few times, because it was the same "cookie cutter" game we have seen so many times before.
Pick up this take it to another room use it, then another room to find another object then back to the first room again to use that etc. When a game has a lot of travelling it always feels like a way to pad out the game.

Screwdrivers, oil, zips, crowbars etc I found it not very worthy of a CE and it seems very short going on the SG.

Maybe another series that needs to call it a day.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 28, 16 9:37 AM
Hi all! As always, I review mostly on the game play and not the story line. We have #11 eleven in this series, and yes, I have them all. Excellent graphics, very clear. Colors are true and nice. Game play is excellent, no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen quite nicely. The voice overs are well done, age and character appropriate, and actually show emotion. Animation is exceptional, e.g. eye and mouth movements, shaking with fear, nervous, etc. Music is mostly soothing until something is about to happen, or is happening that might raise your blood pressure a bit. Nope, saw no snakes and nothing jumped out at me. Sound FX are well done and constant, so there is no lag with dead quiet during play. Oh, yes, we still have our helper, Elf. He isn't used a lot and is very quiet, but also quite helpful when needed.

HOPs are silhouettes and lists. Scenes are very clear and clean and items are not difficult to find. I did not see where you could switch to something else, but you really wouldn't need to. Puzzles are not difficult, but a few do take some time and thought to complete. You do play a match 3 game each time you use the "unlock" tool. The items used are almost too busy, but doable. Hint system is very helpful and it does transport to longer locations. You have a jump map, but I seldom use it, since we have the transport. SG is the standard set up and does show you where collectibles can be found, in case you missed one.

Really liked the collectibles. We have to find 27 morphing items that aren't too difficult, but you do have to look for them. We also have 12 magnets that are monuments/historical places that also give you a description of each location. These are not as easy to spot as you may think and some are well hidden. We have a puzzle that needs to be put together as well, so we are looking for 32 puzzle pieces. These can be anywhere, so be on the lookout. There is some challenge to these collectibles for a change.

As I said, I review on the play and not the story...however, this story is interesting and keeps you constantly on the move and doing something. Yes, you back-track, but for a purpose and not just to pick up some little thing here or there. This game drew me in from the beginning and has not let me down. There is a lot of action in this game and no lag in story or play, so you don't get bored. I rarely give any game 5 stars, unless it is exceptional. I do believe this one qualifies. I think all levels of players will find this one interesting, fun and a bit challenging in places. I love this series and I have been waiting for this one since I beta tested it back in April, so yes, I am adding this one to my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

deejae101
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by deejae101 on Jul 28, 16 10:05 AM
In my opinion the quality and gameplay is not up to the standard of previous games in the Mystery Tracker series.

Plus there was serious lag zooming into and switching scenes.

Still all in all worth buying, just not the best CE.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jul 28, 16 10:29 AM
Same rehashed story line with floating, faceless ghosties. Usual flat graphics but at least they are not endlessly blue toned. Characters are one dimensional with wonky mouth movements but the VO sound decent enough.

If the characters speak English why is the written dialogue not grammatically correct? Example: "Please give ME papers to Sgt. Carter". Though this could be a very poor attempt at using a British/Irish way of speaking.

The first puzzle was a dreadful cluttered mess. The instructions made no sense at all and even though I was able to light the second puzzle, as instructed, it still did not give me a win. The HOGS were mostly silhouettes with a few find the hidden object. Able to fine the picture pieces ok,, stumbled on a couple of morphing objects but never did see any collectibles

All in all the game was the standard fare the seems to be the only thing the devs can come up with.

ediegamer
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by ediegamer on Jul 28, 16 12:12 PM
I customized the game with "no sparkles" except to indicate hidden object scenes, but this developer insists on adding sparkles on objects to be picked up!! VERY ANNOYING and really takes away from the enjoyment of the game...

Edited on 07/28/2016 at 12:14:15 PM PST

petrinov
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by petrinov on Jul 28, 16 3:03 PM
Well, it seems like I may be in the minority,but compared to what has been coming out lately as Collector Editions, I am thoroughly enjoying this game for a change!! You have to give it a try in order to form an opinion.

Nagster
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Nagster on Jul 29, 16 4:45 AM
RainbowElf wrote:I found this game rather dull, I switched off mentally a few times, because it was the same "cookie cutter" game we have seen so many times before.
Pick up this take it to another room use it, then another room to find another object then back to the first room again to use that etc. When a game has a lot of travelling it always feels like a way to pad out the game.

Screwdrivers, oil, zips, crowbars etc I found it not very worthy of a CE and it seems very short going on the SG.

Maybe another series that needs to call it a day.

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Jul 29, 16 9:50 AM
I found this game so "NOT" CE worthy. Am glad I purchased it with a code and didn't pay full price. I found the game way too short and very easy. Mystery Trackers "used" to be a good series, I personally would have been ashamed to put this game out as a CE. Graphics were ok, game played well with no errors.
The extra chapter was short and a disappointment also.

1357wc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
453 Posts

[Post New]by 1357wc on Jul 29, 16 8:04 PM
MildewWolf wrote:I too chose "no sparkles" and yet, every item you needed to pick up sparkled! Why not have the game play itself so you don't have to do anything at all? Also, the movement of the train made me feel nauseous. I would write a review but it seems only 5 star ones are getting published, so why waste my time even further?

All reviews get posted after they have been checked for any inappropriate comments. So go ahead and post your review. I want to see all opinions good or bad about a game. Not a play by play, but what you liked and didn't like. I wouldn't find it a "waste of time" to read it.

chickenjools
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by chickenjools on Jul 30, 16 3:36 AM
I usually love the Mystery Trackers games but found this one very tedious. There was serious lag when zooming in and it was really slow trying to get the inventory to pop up. I tried locking the inventory and the whole game froze so I had to reboot. Thankfully I didn't buy it but just played the demo.

I wish there was a developer that broke the mould and gave us something interesting and bright!

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jul 30, 16 6:19 AM
I did the beta of this and remember not liking it much, but I did take a look at the demo for about 30 minutes to remind me, and many of the reviewers, particularly Steve_San, point out the same issues I had with the game. I can't remember if the beta had collectibles, but they were about the only things I liked in the demo. Elf has become a prop, put into places you'd never put a small, fragile dog, the story isn't that interesting, the items must span a century in terms of era, and the collectibles were really about all that kept my interest. I exited the demo before entering the dining car, but I do remember that once you gain access to it, it's a huge room imported in from a large hotel -- I remember wondering how it fit onto the train. Just silly, and while I used to be a big fan of this series, it has become predictable and boring, with repetitive tasks, slot this into that, fake accents, no, no, no. As a minor but annoying side issue, I always customize for no sparkles, but I like a short hint time, and while you can adjust the hint and skip meters, there's no way of knowing what you're adjusting them to. I am certain there will be people who will like the game, and good for them, have fun, but I just deleted it.

[Post New]by tiredoftrouble on Jul 30, 16 6:42 AM
I enjoyed the game but had became very disillusioned when it takes over a minute for the screen to go from one location to another. If it would have had smooth play it would be even better. The demo went faster, after purchasing it started to go slower and slower. By the end of the game I wasted at least an hour in blank screen wait. RUN do not buy like I did until the bugs are fixed.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 31, 16 11:30 AM
1357wc wrote:
MildewWolf wrote:I too chose "no sparkles" and yet, every item you needed to pick up sparkled! Why not have the game play itself so you don't have to do anything at all? Also, the movement of the train made me feel nauseous. I would write a review but it seems only 5 star ones are getting published, so why waste my time even further?

All reviews get posted after they have been checked for any inappropriate comments. So go ahead and post your review. I want to see all opinions good or bad about a game. Not a play by play, but what you liked and didn't like. I wouldn't find it a "waste of time" to read it.

For the record, I submitted my review on July 28 (the day it was released) around 8:00 am EDT and of this writing it is yet to be published. I gave the game a rating of two stars.

1357wc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
453 Posts

[Post New]by 1357wc on Jul 31, 16 12:30 PM
steve_san wrote:
1357wc wrote:

For the record, I submitted my review on July 28 (the day it was released) around 8:00 am EDT and of this writing it is yet to be published. I gave the game a rating of two stars.

I guess the information given to me by the "powers that be" are wrong. I was told good or bad, reviews will be posted as long as they follow the guidelines, which I know your's always do. In fact I love your reviews. I see it is not there on the main page as you stated. How is this so?? It hasn't got that many rave reviews on the forum page either but the main page is great. I know I am going to get removed for this, because I did a few games ago when I complained about all the 5 star reviews on the main page even though the reviewer stated some things that were wrong. If there is something wrong, it is not 5 star. Keep up with your reviews steve-san, love them.

SoggySox
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by SoggySox on Aug 9, 16 12:27 PM
This was a big disappointment, especially after Silent Hollow. I am finding it tedious by having to do one thing then having to find the location to do the next. The map is worthless and only shows locked and "?" instead of active tasks. I am also tired of dark scenes in this and other games. Not everyone has young eyesight.

I am not sure if I will continue playing this game. It deserves a one star rating so far.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Jan 9, 17 7:47 PM
This game was just ok for me. I like the Mystery trackers games and wanted this one because it takes place on a train. I love trains. But once we got off the train I found it kind of boring. I didn't mind the bonus chapter though.

Go to: