lmcrane
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

Will you stop playing tournaments?

[Post New]by lmcrane on Jul 29, 16 7:20 PM
I have one more tournament to place in the top 100 and I will get my achievement. It took about a year and a half. When I reach this goal I will stop playing so that other players will have a chance to get a top score.

I was wondering... Is anyone else doing this? Or are you going for the diamonds?

I see many of the same names at the top of the leader board and it is frustrating to me. I do not want to be part of this frustration so I will respectfully stop playing and earn my diamonds through regular game play.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

Re:Will you stop playing tournaments?

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Jul 29, 16 7:29 PM
No one would be denied placement in the top 100 based on my tournament results.....I play for the fun of it.....I seldom win any diamonds.....sometimes I place in the top 100, most times I don't.

geniegal
Clownfish
Clownfish
603 Posts

[Post New]by geniegal on Jul 29, 16 7:31 PM
The highest I have placed is 947th place. No worth my time or effort.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Jul 29, 16 7:37 PM
I played a few tournaments after I eared the achievement, then stopped.

Partly because there's a known glitch that I believe a small segment of the players are exploiting, but mostly because the tournaments take up so much time with no guaranteed payoff.

I felt my time was better spent playing regular hidden object scenes and earning coins, stamps, food, airship items rather than hoping I'd win some diamonds.

crusader50
Clownfish
Clownfish
900 Posts

[Post New]by crusader50 on Jul 29, 16 7:39 PM
I have 5 more to go then I will definitely stop playing unless I need a few diamonds then I might play here and there.

Want to let others have a chance as well.

c0c0_nuts
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by c0c0_nuts on Jul 29, 16 7:51 PM
lmcrane wrote:
I have one more tournament to place in the top 100 and I will get my achievement. It took about a year and a half. When I reach this goal I will stop playing so that other players will have a chance to get a top score.

I was wondering... Is anyone else doing this? Or are you going for the diamonds?

I completed the Tournament Topper achievement a long time ago. I continue to play in the tournaments whenever I can.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Jul 29, 16 8:40 PM
I don't think it matters if you play or not after you have reached the goal & have the Ginger Cat.

It is a matter of luck and I have 7 to go on one game and 10 to go on the other.

If I get it, I get it, doesn't matter to me, just play for the fun

fredismom
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by fredismom on Jul 29, 16 9:21 PM
No. Play for fun. Have won a nice hoard of diamonds over time and surprisingly earned golden kitty. Some days I still play obsessively even tho at L71; other days just check in for daily goodies & gifting. Long time ago, someone advised against getting burned out.

[Post New]by mywildirishrose on Jul 29, 16 10:00 PM
lmcrane wrote:I have one more tournament to place in the top 100 and I will get my achievement. It took about a year and a half. When I reach this goal I will stop playing so that other players will have a chance to get a top score.

I see many of the same names at the top of the leader board and it is frustrating to me. I do not want to be part of this frustration so I will respectfully stop playing and earn my diamonds through regular game play.

I'm with you, once I receive the golden kitty, I no longer play on that castle and move on to one of my other ones.

I agree that it's only fair to give others a chance.

That being said, I don't have a problem with others playing and collecting diamonds.

I do, however, have a problem with the person who is in the top 50 nine times out of 10. I believe there is a glitch being exploited and that's not fair.

I hope the Devs check out the glitches and get it working correctly.

In the meantime, good luck and have fun with it.

kiki232627
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by kiki232627 on Jul 29, 16 10:11 PM
I got the Kitty a couple of weeks ago and since then I have never played another tournament. But I never liked them anyway. There are other people who enjoy them. So it's just a matter of opinion and nobody should feel obligated to stop playing just to give others a chance.
Believe me sooner or later the program will give you those magical spins, even if it takes months!

Anglesey
Minnow
Minnow
260 Posts

[Post New]by Anglesey on Jul 29, 16 10:13 PM
I am one away from the but will probably continue as I like doing them.

I only play when it's free and this year have ended up in the top ten twice! Many times I've had only 8 coins and gotten nowhere. It's mostly down to the Wheel.

I know there were questions in the past, but I haven't seen any unobtainable scores over the past two or three months.

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Jul 29, 16 11:56 PM
I enjoy the tournaments, and still play them even though I finally achieved the "coveted cat", which took four months of playing as many tournaments as I could. Now, I don't play them anywhere near as much, but they have become a regular part of the game for me. I think that the cat achievement was added to entice non-players. Well, it worked, at least in my case.

Lestat195
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Lestat195 on Jul 30, 16 8:27 AM
I have a question regarding the tokens in the Tournament HOS. When I participate, it seems there is never the same amount of tokens in the scenes per each entry. Sometimes there is 1 in a scene, sometimes 2, maybe 3. I was under the impression that there was a total of twelve tokens per entry. But, many times I do not even come up with 9. Since I thought maybe I just wasn't seeing them, I went into a tournament just to specifically determine this. And no, it isn't me...I carefully used the mouse the as a reference point to go over each and every pixel of each scene. Also,next to a friend's name, she wrote 40, 40, 30,40, 30 indicating what she received on each wheel spin....so there are 15 tokens???? I have never had 15 tokens in any total since I have been playing. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Edited on 07/30/2016 at 8:27:53 AM PST

DuskyMauve
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by DuskyMauve on Jul 30, 16 8:42 AM
Lestat195 wrote:I have a question regarding the tokens in the Tournament HOS. When I participate, it seems there is never the same amount of tokens in the scenes per each entry. Sometimes there is 1 in a scene, sometimes 2, maybe 3. I was under the impression that there was a total of twelve tokens per entry. But, many times I do not even come up with 9. Since I thought maybe I just wasn't seeing them, I went into a tournament just to specifically determine this. And no, it isn't me...I carefully used the mouse the as a reference point to go over each and every pixel of each scene. Also,next to a friend's name, she wrote 40, 40, 30,40, 30 indicating what she received on each wheel spin....so there are 15 tokens???? I have never had 15 tokens in any total since I have been playing. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

The number of tokens you can find in each scene is random, but there is always 1-3. That means if you are extremely lucky there might be 3 tokens in each scene, so you get 15 in total - this has yet to happen to me though!

mamarose1900
Flounder
Flounder
2,190 Posts

[Post New]by mamarose1900 on Jul 30, 16 8:48 AM
Maybe, maybe not. I think I'd enjoy the tournaments more now that I got the kitty last week. Now it's just a personal challenge to see how fast I can go. But...since I'm prone to carpal tunnel, I won't be chasing faster very often. Plus, it's not my favorite type of game play.

However, I do think that it's wrong to try to persuade people to stop playing after winning the kitty in order that those who don't will have fewer competitors. The tournament is not just about winning the kitty. It's also about getting diamonds, beating your competitors, and having fun.

People who like playing, want to try for diamonds, or want to try for the kitty all should play. People who don't like playing, don't care about trying for diamonds, or who have or don't care about the kitty should stop.

This is a casual, fun game. Everyone should do the parts of the game they enjoy.

Have fun stormin' the castle!

playingthegame
Stingray
Stingray
4,895 Posts

[Post New]by playingthegame on Jul 30, 16 8:56 AM
NoFishToday wrote:I enjoy the tournaments, and still play them even though I finally achieved the "coveted cat", which took four months of playing as many tournaments as I could. Now, I don't play them anywhere near as much, but they have become a regular part of the game for me. I think that the cat achievement was added to entice non-players. Well, it worked, at least in my case.

I too enjoy playing tournaments without the urgency of getting into the top 100 players any longer.
I only play once or twice if it is convenient as the items found there are different to those in the HOS rounds.
I try to achieve good times, but getting a high score or many tokens is not important to me and I am sorry if some players feel annoyed or upset with me playing.
If I ever get diamonds I always use them to purchase a more desirable item in friends wants list.

dlsed
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by dlsed on Jul 30, 16 9:13 AM
Alot of great posts/thoughts on the tournament action.
both of my players made the kitty achievement, and i contnue to play. Considering the original post, and the observation that if you place you might be taking a slot from someone else still trying to reach achievement, i think i'm way too average a player for that to affect that. on average, maybe i place in 1 out of 3, or 4 tournaments??? a guess. and then, generally in the bottom 50. it's been awhile since i've been in top 50.

As to same names at the top. Absolutely. Are you kidding. It's ridiculous. And they know who they are. It's being done intentionally . These must be the players that are exploiting the glitch in the game referred to by Anneliegram. I sent the mod's a suggestion as to how they could potentionally curb this, but, never heard back. since then, pretty much the same names.

for my take, if you enjoy tournament action, keep at it! and good luck.

happy hunting,

dlsed
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by dlsed on Jul 30, 16 10:05 AM
one last note on tournament play.....before i head over and try my skill/luck; i'm finding my best scores are 90% of the time my first go around. Hence, i'll give each of my players 2 go's, then i'm out of tournament (till maybe last 20 minutes) and on to other things!

good luck,
and happy hunting,

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Jul 30, 16 10:21 AM
When I first played them, I enjoyed them... then there were glitches that some took advantage of, which turned me off and I quit... Played again when the achievement came out, got the cat and out for good....

lady566
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by lady566 on Jul 30, 16 11:15 AM
If placing in the top 100 every 3 or 4 tournaments is average, I am way, way way below average. , But considering that there are often 1700 playing, and only 100 in the top 100 then average should be more like 1 in 17. Even then not sure if I would qualify as average

Go to: