bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Welcome to Escape from Lost Island forum

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Feb 25, 10 12:05 AM
Welcome to Escape from Lost Island forum! This is your place to ask questions, share tips, and connect with other Escape from Lost Island players.

If you have questions about how to use the forums, please click the FAQ link on the right.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Welcome to Escape from Lost Island forum

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Feb 25, 10 12:48 AM
I only played 20 minutes of trial and while it is the "style" of game I like, there is no option to turn off help and the game leads you step by step through what needs to be done whether you want it to or not. I HATE THAT!! Also, the hidden objects aren't hidden well at all and are way too easy to find for my taste. Ah well...

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Feb 25, 10 12:55 AM
I really want to like this game. It looked so good! I have some issues with it, though.

Cons: The game is stretched on my widescreen monitor. Playing in windowed mode makes it so hard to see the items I guess I'll just have to change my resolution if I want to play it non-windowed. The music is BAD. It's like Enigma-lite-meets-elevator-jazz. I usually never have a problem with music in games, but I have to turn this off. I also had a sound glitch. I accidentally clicked onto my desktop (since I'm in windowed mode) and the sound went SO LOUD. I mean, like blasting. I turned it down in-game and it didn't help. I turned the whole computer's volume down and it still blasted. I have no idea what caused that. The story is so-so. It is skipable, yet I still want to know what's going on even though not too much has been explained so far. There are also some irritating arcade-style minigames that might bother some people.

Pros: The gameplay. It's hidden object, but Treasure Seekers style. I like that a lot. The graphics are really nice, even in windowed mode. Hints refill quickly. Minigames can be skipped (though you have to wait for the "skip" button to fill).

I am kind of torn on whether to buy this one. It looks like it'd be average length, just from checking out the walkthrough. Hopefully it will get more involved as the game goes on.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Feb 25, 10 12:56 AM
Was looking forward to this, but can`t do with games that guide the player all the way through, I like to work it out for myself. Won`t be buying

[Post New]by briteredlips on Feb 25, 10 1:01 AM
I thought this was a very good game. I really liked the way you had to find the objects. Hint system generous. Excellent graphics. This may go on my buy list, but just not today. I have to give this game a Thumbs Up

galphimia
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by galphimia on Feb 25, 10 1:03 AM
Installed game, big arrow is shown, if I click on the items, nothings happening. Can't even click away that big arrow. If I try the "Help button", I cannot pick up the item shown. The only thing I can grab and put in the circle is the pearl necklace.
Does anyone else have that problem ?

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Feb 25, 10 1:05 AM
And we are not small kids, we have ours own minds and brains. Well, I will escape from this Lost Island.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 25, 10 3:38 AM
Well first, when I saw that pipe puzzle I figured I was going down with the ship on a timed demo. No skip, finally I saw skip appeared at the bottom of the screen, guess it takes time to fill up.

This will be the third lady this week I've had to get off an island, I spect it will have had an ancient civilization? How many more islands and young women showing torso or cleavage can there be in the gameworld? And if I'm asked to find one more key....!!! Why can't we just crash thru with a sledge hammer or pick up a grenade and bust through. Talk about trite, not to mention the totally absurd things things to do in the story. OK, end of rant.

If you don't like reading what must be done, then don't read it, because it is already obvious seeing bookcase blocking the door that you have to move it. I don't care if she's reading my mind, don't see that as ruining a good challenge. However, my big CON in this one is too much random clicking trying to get something to open to a balloon for things to find. My cursor didn't change when I hovered over things, I got no sparkles. I hate random clickOramas, same thng with that Penguin one, That's when I could use some "hand holding" when I just wore mine out. I found I had to click Help to get any sparkle, so I don't enjoy clicking every object in sight first.

Pros - the scenes were colorful and very clear, no grainy or blurry. Ran and looked great on both Vista laptop and desktop PC with XP, both 15" monitors, laptop widescreen. Didn't crawl in slo-mo like Treasure Seekers games.

I liked the ballon objects style in Steve the Sheriff2, but the humor kept me going and loving it. I think cursor changed in that, gears or something when it is a hotspot. Got none of that in this one. Too much work for saving yet another wandering soul on an island. Sorry.

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Feb 25, 10 5:44 AM
i am really enjoying this game, of course i love games like this, i just got to the island which begins chapter 3 took 34 minutes, i did buy it at that point i don't see any hand holding, but you do have to search for things to open however i didn't have to click everywhere.

i love having to find different objects to fix 1 thing, this game is similiar to the treasure seekers game play.

i give it 3 and 1/2 out of 5

[Post New]by Andikn09 on Feb 25, 10 10:10 AM
I like the game but it's got a GLITCH. Every so often it goes to my desktop even though it is on full-screen and turns up the volume. I would buy it if it weren't for the glitch.

Prissi
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Prissi on Feb 25, 10 12:19 PM
I am sort of on the fence with this one. Let me say, first of all, that I like the "Treasure Seekers" style of playing present in this game. However, the objects are not well hidden in this game. The mini games are interesting. The graphics are average, but the game seems to work well and with little delay.

On the other hand -- and this is sort of a trait in many games from Russia, a country I have lovingly studied for over 30 years -- there really is too much busy work. There are a lot of hoops that must one must go through in order to progress. In addition, you are only given small steps to achieve at one time.

A typical scene might ask the player to do Objectives A and B first. Then Objective C and possibly D are opened up. Because one scene might have several objectives, the first couple of objectives are the most challenging. By the time one gets to the third or fourth objective, the player already knows where most of the items are located. The game gets rather tedious because you just have to go through the motions to progress.

If one contrasts the nonlinear quality of play in a game like MCF: Dire Grove or HE: Devil's Triangle with this game, then it is quite evident how much the player is lead through this game rather than the player himself or herself being forced to decide on the next step that should be taken in order to progress.

I will ALWAYS buy the nonlinear game because I love the challenge, but I will only buy a game where I am lead about only one-fourth of the time. A game of that type has to be truly extraordinary for me (and possibly other players as well) to submit to that style of gameplay.

Sadly, for me, at least, this game isn't extraordinary. It is above average, though.

Sorry for the long-winded rant.

Edited on 02/25/2010 at 12:20:44 PM PST

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Feb 25, 10 1:10 PM
I, too, was really excited when I saw the game. I LOVE these types of story games. But I it was so repetitive that I found myself tired of JUST looking for hidden objects..which is funny, 'cause that IS my favorite type of game. I think that the game needs something else...wish I had the solution. I am disappointed that I won't be buying it. I hate to 'not' like a game, too!

OnWI

twin_mom
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by twin_mom on Feb 25, 10 5:52 PM
Pros: graphics good; mini games a bit of work but certainly doable without too much effort

Cons: far too easy- as soon as you get the last item for each group, the next group is shown at the bottom of the screen, clicking the group items tells you precisely what to look for (only thing missing is the colour); items not well hidden at all - very clear from first view of picture as to what will be picked up (just a matter of going through the groups in order)
storyline - old - used too often

No buy for me. Wanted to like. Went right down to the last few minutes of the demo trying to find some more to like but .....

in other words 2 out of 5

[Post New]by yancysmom on Feb 25, 10 7:02 PM
I'm a newbie and I can't find the belt on the island! Help!

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Feb 25, 10 8:24 PM
Have you checked the walkthrough?

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/escape-from-lost-island-walkthrough/

Indy70
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Indy70 on Feb 26, 10 9:15 AM
Excellent game. I read the reviews (some pro, some con), did about 15 minutes of the demo and purchased immediately. Yes, some players want more of a challenge. But sometimes I want a game that's just plain fun, rather easy IHOG, not a mind- boggling, brain buster. This is nicely done and for me this was it. Playing now and so happy I purchased. Don't toss this one overboard til you've demoed - then decide.

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Feb 26, 10 2:53 PM
I liked this game and bought it. I love this format - however, when several items are the same, you have to put them where the programmer did or they go back to their places in the scene. Kind of frustrating. My favorite one of these is still Mystery of the Crystal Portal, but since I've asked for more of these - thank you Big Fish! I love these deserted island/ archaeology themes - keep them coming!

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by wini1 on Feb 26, 10 11:05 PM
Imberis wrote:I really want to like this game. It looked so good! I have some issues with it, though.

Cons: The game is stretched on my widescreen monitor. Playing in windowed mode makes it so hard to see the items I guess I'll just have to change my resolution if I want to play it non-windowed. The music is BAD. It's like Enigma-lite-meets-elevator-jazz. I usually never have a problem with music in games, but I have to turn this off. I also had a sound glitch. I accidentally clicked onto my desktop (since I'm in windowed mode) and the sound went SO LOUD. I mean, like blasting. I turned it down in-game and it didn't help. I turned the whole computer's volume down and it still blasted. I have no idea what caused that. The story is so-so. It is skipable, yet I still want to know what's going on even though not too much has been explained so far. There are also some irritating arcade-style minigames that might bother some people.

Pros: The gameplay. It's hidden object, but Treasure Seekers style. I like that a lot. The graphics are really nice, even in windowed mode. Hints refill quickly. Minigames can be skipped (though you have to wait for the "skip" button to fill).

I am kind of torn on whether to buy this one. It looks like it'd be average length, just from checking out the walkthrough. Hopefully it will get more involved as the game goes on.

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by wini1 on Feb 26, 10 11:11 PM
Didn't mean to quote you Imberis....meant to reply to your quote.Anyway, I agree with everything you said. I too had a problem with the sound breaking your eardrums!! And I hate how long it took for her to turn the pages when she is telling what is happening. I really like the way you find objects with the circles but this just doesn't seem put together well. Probably won't get it, but sure liked the storyline.

auntGan
Manatee
Manatee
4,484 Posts

[Post New]by auntGan on Feb 26, 10 11:42 PM
Just wanted to say I really liked this game. I played the
demo and actually groaned when it ended. The graphics
are great and I liked the music, too. Granted, it wasn't
really as hard as some other games, but sometimes it's
nice to play a game that isn't very challenging. It makes
a nice change when you want or need one. I am definately
buying this game when I can. Thank you .

Go to: