bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

Your comments and reviews for Escape from Lost Island

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Feb 25, 10 9:55 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Escape from Lost Island? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Your comments and reviews for Escape from Lost Island

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 25, 10 10:04 AM
Great game for me. Really my cup of tea. The game is similar to Treasure Seekers. Well done, !

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Feb 25, 10 11:37 AM
Well I was really enjoying this game as it is my type of game too ... until I fell down the hole and lit the torch. If there is one thing I really, really hate in a hidden object game it is bright lights shining in my eyes when I am staring intently at the screen. To make matters worse the light flashes and it is not a gentle flickering in a draught type flicker either.

To get round this problem I held a folded piece of kitchen towel over it and I managed to find the items at the bottom of the screen. Then you had to find the pieces for the other torches and lo and behold you have 5 torches all flashing away in your eyes and you have to try and find keys. This time I covered the screen with my television guide which was just wide enough to block them out.

I am now keeping my fins crossed that there are no more scenes like this in the game to spoil my enjoyment.

Oooh I've just had a thought .. . I wonder if I could have found the objects in that room wearing ...

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Feb 25, 10 11:38 AM
I like this game, too, and I think it's a bit unfair for this game that it comes out at the same time as the next Treasure Seekers (which it resembles indeed with the items in circles) and after yesterday's TGT Secret Mission: The Forgotten Island, which had a very new feeling to it.

I didn't find it too much random clicking, because - unlike the first 2 TS-games, in which I often was searching for the next circle, and THEN the items, too, lol - in this one you can click on the next bottom bubble to have the next round of items appear. The items are cleverly hidden IMO, in a seemingly clear surrounding - no white on white stuff, no unproportionate items, no junkpile (not much).
Clear graphics, no timer, and custom cursor can be turned off, yay!
Some somehow silly aspects to the tasks, adding to the fun IMO - the poor girl has really LOTS to do before she can even leave that ship and reach the island...

After 1/2 hour and taking my time, I'm at the beginning of lvl 3, and according to the walkthrough it has 20 lvls. Had 2 mini games so far, with a little change to their usual appearance. Certainly a nice, relaxing game; on my maybe-RSN list.

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Feb 25, 10 1:32 PM
cherbtoo wrote:Well I was really enjoying this game as it is my type of game too ... until I fell down the hole and lit the torch. If there is one thing I really, really hate in a hidden object game it is bright lights shining in my eyes when I am staring intently at the screen. To make matters worse the light flashes and it is not a gentle flickering in a draught type flicker either.

To get round this problem I held a folded piece of kitchen towel over it and I managed to find the items at the bottom of the screen. Then you had to find the pieces for the other torches and lo and behold you have 5 torches all flashing away in your eyes and you have to try and find keys. This time I covered the screen with my television guide which was just wide enough to block them out.

I am now keeping my fins crossed that there are no more scenes like this in the game to spoil my enjoyment.

Oooh I've just had a thought .. . I wonder if I could have found the objects in that room wearing ...

You are too funny! I felt the same way about all the torches! Nice entertainment...pretty easy game.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Feb 25, 10 2:52 PM
I too liked this game, it is the first one I have played.I didn't know there were others. I did like the graphic better in yesterdays game Forgotten Island. Also I didn't know you could move on by clicking on the bubbles at the bottom! LOL about all the stuff she had to do to leave the ship (I thought we would drown!) and the lights in the cave I felt the same way! All in all pretty enjoyable.

Stereotypical cliches much???

[Post New]by sphinxvictorian on Feb 25, 10 3:00 PM
The game itself was fun, the puzzles challenging. A little shaky on the technical side, but it seemed to iron that out.

My main problem, though, was the complete stereotypical cliched nature of the plot. Okay, guys? This isn't the 1930's in Hollywood. The game is set in contemporary times, so why, when the girl is shipwrecked, does she immediately get attacked by cannibalistic natives? And why does she feel the need to point out that the chief looks white? We're in the 21st century, haven't we gotten past the need to portray island natives as completely evil?

I'm not usually big on major political correctness, but honestly. This just went a bit too far. For that reason, I will not be buying the game. I hope to see better things from that particular game designer.

Sphinxyvic

Saelihnne
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Saelihnne on Feb 25, 10 4:22 PM
I did the trial version but perhaps it was not my cup of tea. I am not a fan of the pop up windows to find objects.
The graphics were nice, but I thought the storyline I did see in the thirty minutes I played, could have been better. It felt a bit abrupt.
It's not a bad hidden object game, I supposed I am just spoiled by MCF.

jaroch
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by jaroch on Feb 25, 10 5:35 PM
Looks like an interesting game, but the graphics aren't of a high enough resolution to look good on my 26" monitor. I know I can lower my resolution to work with the game, but I shouldn't have to. Pass ...

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Feb 25, 10 5:40 PM
This game also reminds me of the treasure seeker games, which I love. I will definitely buy this game. The graphics are clean and the game play is fun. I've only played until the first puzzle but it's enough for me to know that this is a keeper. 20 levels will be a good length, the music is easy to listen to and hidden objects are not too difficult to find. And so far no silly dialog and an interesting though unoriginal story line.

Another plus is that my husband will play this game with me and he is very picky. It makes for a perfect buy!

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Escape from zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Feb 25, 10 7:23 PM
Not much for me here. Bland graphics and elevator music. The designers phoned this one in. Stock graphics and free library music. I think I made it thru about 15 minutes before deciding that there were far better ways to spend an hour...tax preparation for one.

I am not a fan of the association style HOG. That is, you click on a item, a halo of other items opens, you find all of them (it's not enough that you find them, you have to physically drag them over and place them in the halo) , then another halo opens, find and place those objects...lather rinse repeat. By the time you have reached the last halo in the level, you can finish in seconds because you found all those items while you were searching for the first ones. Give me a straight up HOG anyday, I will look for ALL the items at once, and not have to bother dragging stuff around the scene.

Graphics are murky, I found the font difficult to read, being a somewhat ornate gold style on a white background, but it was better when I turned out all the ambient lighting. A great many of the HOs were either lying underneath a halo or clumped down at the bottom of the screen, where, inexplicably the designer dumped lots of clutter producing iconography...never used it, just looked over, under and around it.

The music actually detracted from the game. Imagine a lost island where you are compelled to listen to the worst dentist office waiting room music you can imagine...I couldn't lose the music without muting my PC, and since I wasn't having much fun anyway, decided just to skip it altogether. 3 of 10 stars.

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Escape from zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Feb 25, 10 7:30 PM
Not much for me here. Bland graphics and elevator music. The designers phoned this one in. Stock graphics and free library music. I think I made it thru about 15 minutes before deciding that there were far better ways to spend an hour...tax preparation for one.

I am not a fan of the association style HOG. That is, you click on a item, a halo of other items opens, you find all of them (it's not enough that you find them, you have to physically drag them over and place them in the halo) , then another halo opens, find and place those objects...lather rinse repeat. By the time you have reached the last halo in the level, you can finish in seconds because you found all those items while you were searching for the first ones. Give me a straight up HOG anyday, I will look for ALL the items at once, and not have to bother dragging stuff around the scene.

Graphics are murky, I found the font difficult to read, being a somewhat ornate gold style on a white background, but it was better when I turned out all the ambient lighting. A great many of the HOs were either lying underneath a halo or clumped down at the bottom of the screen, where, inexplicably the designer dumped lots of clutter producing iconography...never used it, just looked over, under and around it.

The music actually detracted from the game. Imagine a lost island where you are compelled to listen to the worst dentist office waiting room music you can imagine...I couldn't lose the music without muting my PC, and since I wasn't having much fun anyway, decided just to skip it altogether. 3 of 10 stars.

My comments and reviews for Escape from Lost Island

[Post New]by Coco3838 on Feb 25, 10 7:44 PM
I bought the game today. Love it. Played it 3 times. It froze on me twice. I did what your support page said. Not sure about the ending. When I get the sphere to the top with the bubbles, it pushes up a red door (I guess). Then the game ends. Is that really the end ? I have never had a game end that abruptly.

Syrenia
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by Syrenia on Feb 25, 10 8:13 PM
I liked the game, except for the slow storyboard format. I read faster than that, so please just let me move on. I know I could skip, but then I'd miss the story. I also found it amusing that she had to put out a fire on a sinking ship before she could leave. Um, why?

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Feb 25, 10 8:43 PM
I got to Level 9 with 10 minutes to spare on my demo. I didn't skip any puzzles and only used one hint just to see what would happen when I did.

I like this type of puzzle and loved the Treasure Seekers series. (Haven't tried the new one yet. Saving that for a treat tomorrow!) But this game disappointed me.

For starters, I found it very easy. Most of the objects were easy to see but as you went along in each level there were less and less objects around, which made it easier and easier. I liked that the objects were appropriate for the story and theme (rather than a junk pile) but I was disappointed that there were so few items in each scene. As a result, it was blatantly obvious which ones you were going to need to find.

The puzzles were good and suited the story but there isn't anything new here. I wasn't crazy about the mosaic puzzle as I thought it was very simple and you had to do a few too many of them. Three would have been enough, IMO.

The graphics are really good. I found them to be mostly clear and I didn't have quite the same problems with the torches that others have experienced. Maybe it's the settings on my monitor.

I guess if you are looking for an introduction to this "circle" type of HOG, this would be a good one. There's unlimited hints, no penalty for mis-clicking, no timer I could see and a well integrated story, game and puzzles.

If I was to rate it, which I normally don't, I'd say it's a solid 6 out of 10. Not exciting, not hard but not bad.

Just my $.02

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Feb 26, 10 3:03 AM
It has been my experience that every Nevosoft game is glitchy. Not broken exactly, just clunky, slow, not terribly well engineered if you will, and this is no exception. Granted all our systems are different etc. but right off I chose to turn off the sludgy game cursor. (I normally do not need to do this). Then I discovered the excruciatingly long load times. Sometimes, if I let the story play out, the game would hang all together, just sit there at the end of the cut-scene waiting for the next active game part to initiate. Or maybe it *was* going to initiate but I got tired of waiting - hard to tell. I wonder if (given the rather small file size of the game) that this wasn't just deliberate time padding for a short game, or maybe some arcane file handling system to unpack files as we go to keep download size small. But that's just ol' geeky me speculatin'. Let's put all that aside for now.

Graphics - pretty good, pretty clear, pleasant to look at. Music - think Pink Floyd fan on Xanax is left alone in the recording studio... Kinda cool the *first* time thru but on a pretty short loop it soon had me diving for the off button.

Gameplay - absolutely nothing new or inspiring here. Pocket type ("open" one object into which you must place others) hidden object stuff along with standard, some interactivity, very very bog standard mini-games. Look, concentration is all well and good but lets face it it's pretty much just pass-time and pretty cheesy when it's a larger than normal field that repeats symbols. Snooze. Spot the Difference and jigsaw were the others encountered. Now I must say had this game come out (and run properly) at the beginning of IHOGs arrival I would probably been pretty tickled, but with so much more sophistication in the genre out there this just felt flat and uninteresting. I did not even make it to the end of the demo, and for me on an IHOG? That's rare. Granted had it run better on my system I might have slogged thru those last 20 minutes but I felt absolutely *no* compulsion to continue. With games as good as Secret Mission: The Forgotten Island, Treasure Seekers (any of 'em) and to a lesser degree Empress of the Deep: The Darkest Secret recently released this one just falls flat.

(Up given begrudgingly cuz it's an IHOG at least. Down for the mediocre game and glitchiness)

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Feb 26, 10 3:33 AM
I have to say, when I first looked at this game, I didn't think it was going to be much, just proves to me again, never judge a book by its cover.
I had so much FUN playing this game, along with a few laughs, and I really needed that after being a little let down, by a game that was so short.
This game didn't have all of the bells and whistles, like some of the other games, that have come out, but it totally made up for it, in other ways.
For me the graphics where very clear, the story was cute and the mini games, where a nice change, from the same old, same old.
I like the mosaic type, and was happy to see several in a row, and swinging the hook, to climb up, was a real HOOT....lol!!
And even if it didn't make any sense, as to why she needed to put out the fire, on a sinking ship, it was still fun to use the catapolt, to put it out.
This game just lifted my spirits and I was quite surprised, at how much I enjoyed playing it, and it has a great length also, which ALWAYS makes me a happy camper !!
The only tiny complaint, that I have was the , it wasn't so bad that I couldn't stand it, but would have liked something more soothing to the soul :-)
All in all, this was a great game, it had a nice flow and gave me hours of ENJOYMENT, and was my type of game, I would give this one a try, if you haven't yet !!

oversixty
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Your comments and reviews for Escape from Lost Island

[Post New]by oversixty on Feb 26, 10 9:47 AM
bfgZambezi wrote:Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Escape from Lost Island? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

oversixty
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by oversixty on Feb 26, 10 9:49 AM
Game is toooo slow,

katinhat
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by katinhat on Feb 26, 10 10:09 AM
I find this game not my cup of tea. I played it for an hour,and i was bored.

Go to: