Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Occultus: Mediterranean Cabal here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 1, 16 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/01/2016 at 5:42:55 AM PST

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Occultus: Mediterranean Cabal here.

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Aug 1, 16 5:03 AM

Gave this trial 40 minutes but gave up. Seems to be quite an old style game. Not many options in the menu.

Some items are small, some are positively miniscule. The hidden object scenes where one has to zoom in and out of all the areas nearly drove me demented.

For all I know, this may have turned into a good game but with a lagging and floaty cursor, it proved too agonising to continue.

The hint button wasn't at all helpful and I didn't see many (or even any?) sparkles in the Easy mode.

Hope I haven't rushed to judgement on this game because the promise of a good and interesting one was there. Maybe it was just incredibly well hidden.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Aug 1, 16 5:41 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Occultus: Mediterranean Cabal here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Occultus: Mediterranean Cabal.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

samisgram
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by samisgram on Aug 1, 16 6:12 AM
I agree with Lazyzeedaisy...and it looked like a great game.
It's sluggish and the tiny HO part hurts these old eyes.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Aug 1, 16 7:26 AM
I agree also with the comments. I lasted 15 minutes, very laggy curser, did not like the voices and did not like that you had to click and drag and item to use it. (sigh). yet another game that I can't use any of my PCC coupons.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 1, 16 10:37 AM
No argument from me. I agree with the messages above. A definite no buy from me. To me the game is almost unplayable.

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING

[Post New]by kandinsky on Aug 1, 16 10:50 AM
This game will not please every player but I find it very wonderful and very different. We all complain of the sameness and cookie-cutter quality of games, well here is one that is indeed different.
It is set in Palermo by a studio based in Palermo and the scenes are authentic and uncompromisingly Italian. The hidden objects pose a different kind of challenge than we are used to, they are often small, you may need to use the good hint system rather often as I have but somehow given the different nature of the objects and placements with still a pleasure in finding the ones that I do find.
The viewpoint character is drawn into the mystery of the fate of his (pleasing for a change to play a male role) grandfather. The story is in the occult but somehow ,whether because of the setting or the way it is developed, I do not feel that numbing certainty about what comes next that I do with so many games.
Having shared this to encourage you to join me in this game, I will go back to the door at the end of a secret corridor where I will press on with an unexpected pleasure in gameplay such as I remember from when I first began to play these games.
I think of another Italian made game I loved and reviewed on sale page; Black Viper Sophia's Fate which however is even more challenging to players so check it out and yet dont hesitate if drawn to it.
But this one , Mediterranian Cabal, should find many, not all, players who would enjoy it.
anyway these thoughts...

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING

[Post New]by shripch on Aug 1, 16 11:27 AM
kandinsky wrote:This game will not please every player but I find it very wonderful and very different. We all complain of the sameness and cookie-cutter quality of games, well here is one that is indeed different.
It is set in Palermo by a studio based in Palermo and the scenes are authentic and uncompromisingly Italian. The hidden objects pose a different kind of challenge than we are used to, they are often small, you may need to use the good hint system rather often as I have but somehow given the different nature of the objects and placements with still a pleasure in finding the ones that I do find.
The viewpoint character is drawn into the mystery of the fate of his (pleasing for a change to play a male role) grandfather. The story is in the occult but somehow ,whether because of the setting or the way it is developed, I do not feel that numbing certainty about what comes next that I do with so many games.
Having shared this to encourage you to join me in this game, I will go back to the door at the end of a secret corridor where I will press on with an unexpected pleasure in gameplay such as I remember from when I first began to play these games.
I think of another Italian made game I loved and reviewed on sale page; Black Viper Sophia's Fate which however is even more challenging to players so check it out and yet dont hesitate if drawn to it.
But this one , Mediterranian Cabal, should find many, not all, players who would enjoy it.
anyway these thoughts...

Cool Two reviewers in two days who go against the flow. Thank you for your great review and I agree! This game is a buy for me and I'm so glad BFG has started offering SE's occasionally instead of a steady diet of CE's which can't be purchased with a credit. And we do need to be challenged once in a while . Something different is okay with me!

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Aug 1, 16 11:47 AM
Awesome review Kandinsky. I hope you will post this on the game page as well so maybe those who don't normally come to the forum will have the advantage of seeing your thoughts about this very good game.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 1, 16 3:29 PM
Clunky controls; floaty cursor, irritating HO scene....and that was just the first six minutes! No, not a chance!

campfire29
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by campfire29 on Aug 1, 16 6:37 PM
I must agree with Kardinsky and his/her wonderful review it is very refreshing to get back to the HO games that I first started with, and not have a basic idea of how the game will end. I'm glad I gave this one a chance.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Aug 1, 16 7:01 PM
I think that if you enjoy playing, or are familiar with playing, the Mortimer Becket games, then you will probably understand the gameplay of this one. Sure it is 'clunky' since you have to drag inventory items to where you want to use them, and hints aren't always helpful, but the mystery remains a clear mystery at the end of the demo and the game left me wanting more.

Update: After quite a few days, I have finally finished the game. I stand by what I have previously said about the demo, and add that playing the game was a lot of fun. It made me think about what I needed to do next. Unfortunately, while the build-up to the end was exciting, the end was underwhelming and unsatisfying.

Edited on 09/26/2016 at 8:17:16 PM PST

jtrigg
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by jtrigg on Aug 1, 16 7:29 PM
I too gave up on this game after about 5 minutes , The interface is clunky and frustrating. The story may be great, but getting there is not half the fun

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Aug 1, 16 8:48 PM
Thanks to Kadinsky and Shripch , not only I tried the game, I bought it and enjoyed the complete game!!!

It's true is old school, cursor clunky, sometimes we don't understand properly the directions, but the story was so interesting that I liked it totally until the end. Unluckily for me, I had to skip some puzzles, maybe someday I'll play again it to resolve them. If somebody did the one in the safe, please send me a PM, I want to know how is the solution.

I liked the atmosphere of the game, I know Sicily, not Palermo but Taormina, and the streets are as this (well as all the Mediterranean cities).

I can't say anything about the voices because English is not my first language, but we have to collect 13 coins, which is necessary as part of the game. Not worry about it, because the map allow you to go to the places and pick it up!

Good map and hint, only once I was almost lost (with the hint direction) with certain rack of arms but I could continue the game.

Overall a very interesting game (IMO), maybe the Developers will try again other games with better mechanics and clear explanations of what to do. Good job in the puzzles, all have reset and skip buttons.

Happy gaming,
M.

Edited on 08/01/2016 at 9:01:54 PM PST

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Aug 2, 16 5:36 AM
After about 5 minutes of the game I thought "really" ? I almost gave up, but I'm glad I didn't. Once I got used to the mechanics of the game, I found myself actually enjoying it.

memaw7
Marlin
Marlin
8,628 Posts

[Post New]by memaw7 on Aug 2, 16 3:55 PM
I had to give up, the very first thing of picking up the two parts of the door handle, I'd get them abut two or three inches and they would go back to the inventory, I tried for at least 5 minutes before I gave up and deleted it If they ever do a fix I'll try again.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Aug 2, 16 5:28 PM
memaw7 wrote:I had to give up, the very first thing of picking up the two parts of the door handle, I'd get them abut two or three inches and they would go back to the inventory, I tried for at least 5 minutes before I gave up and deleted it If they ever do a fix I'll try again.

Hi ,

What I did was combine the 2 items with the half medallion icon. If you couldn't do it, is a serious bug, hope not. Good luck ,
M.

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

combining things in the game

[Post New]by kandinsky on Aug 3, 16 4:43 AM
memaw7, the method of combining things starting with the
door handle took me a while to get used to also. but the
thing is you put the thing to be combined in the central box
in the middle and above the inventory and then bring over
the second thing and the box opens out to a second box
(and if there are three or more things it makes further spaces)
and then click the right hand merge icon above the boxes
and presto they merge. once I got used to it ,it seems as
pleasant and natural as the system in other games and hope
it will work for you,

memaw7
Marlin
Marlin
8,628 Posts

[Post New]by memaw7 on Aug 3, 16 6:33 AM
Thanks for all the help, I knew to move them to the little boxes, that was the problem, I couldn't move them. As soon as they got moved to the boxes they jumped right back to where they started. I never could get them into the boxes, I tried to push, pull drag them nothing worked as soon as they were out of the innovatory they jumped back! I even deleted the gam and tried again....the same thing couldn't get the them into the boxes. I gave up.

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

combining

[Post New]by kandinsky on Aug 3, 16 11:18 AM
did you try clicking on hint and then when hint says to combine do so
I find that things cannot be combined until it is the point where it is
wanted that you combine them...
if this doesnt work then ,well, it is a glitch alas
but I guess better early than just when finishing the game.

Go to: