3 Cards to Dead Time

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

3 Cards to Dead Time

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Feb 27, 10 12:05 AM
In late 1929, five people - including Jess Silloway's grandmother - mysteriously vanished and were never seen again. Now a ghostly figure has begun to haunt Jess's dreams. Use your powers of observation and deduction to unlock glimpses of events from the past, present and future, and then put the pieces together to discover what happened that fateful night eighty years ago, in 3 Cards to Dead Time! Experience this exciting Hidden Object game!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Re:3 Cards to Dead Time

[Post New]by bribling on Feb 27, 10 1:25 AM
Sorry, not for me!

Too Talkie, you cannot skip all of the dialog which would be especially annoying on replay.

Too Dark. It was hard to see much.

Too Tiny. Several objects were very hard to see because of size. This was made worse by the darkness of some scenes.

Categories - the only thing I like about these is their uniqueness. My idea of items and the game's idea often don't agree.

I am sorry to say that I quit playing after about 10 min. and that was probably at least 8 min. longer than I liked. Some people will love this game but for me, like the original game, this is a big NO.

BTW, although I did not like the first game I had hoped this one would be better but IMO only, this one is worse.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Feb 27, 10 1:31 AM
I think this game may be a bit like Marmite; you either love it or you hate it,
and I hate it :-)
More like a spooky movie with the the odd bits of interaction, rather than a game.
Just getting into the HOG game when it goes off on more talk and cut scenes.
I was hoping as that as time went by there would be more game and less talk, but after almost an hour nothing changed.
I couldn't play the last 3 cards game due to glitches, but don't think I missed much.
Still, had a great week of BFG HOGs!

[Post New]by songsmith2003 on Feb 27, 10 1:53 AM
3 Cards to Dead Time continues the story of Jess, the protagonist from the first game, 3 Cards to Midnight. We folllow Jess as ircumstances cause Jess to continue to research her lineage. You'll meet an old villain, cross paths with an old and be surprised by another development.

The game advertises itself as nonlinear, but that isn't really the case. Jess will choose between the two men in her life, and her choice affects the outcomes. I haven't played through both choices, so I can't say how much her decision changes things in the end. Still, it's an interesting concept.

I loved 3 Cards to Midnight and the fact that I had to use my noggin to find the proper objects. My daughter and I had a blast laughing at ourselves when we missed one of the words. Because of that, I was disappointed that 3 Cards to Dead Time made that process a bit easier. This time you search for words that fit into a category, so your field is broadened.

You have your usual sort of minigames: putting letters together, building pictures to get a clue, opening locks, deciphering a secret code. The most unsual I can remember was placing the object used by a certain person next to a photo of that person.

The voice acting is pretty good. I was glad to see Jess wearing a shirt that wasn't flesh-colored this time! Unfortunately, my sound skipped on a lot of it. I'm not sure if that was just me or the game in particular.

Unless things have changed, the demo takes you through the first chapter. You really don't get into things much before it's over. This is a shame, since I don't believe the demo gives you a good feel for the rest of the game.

If you have to choose between 3 Cards to Midnight or 3 Cards to Dead Time, I'd definitely go with the first one. Still, I enjoyed 3CtDT immensely. The plot is quite well-done with plenty of twists. I hope they do more games like this in the future.

A caveat for those with weak stomachs. The game involves murders (albeit in the past) and death. I don't remember seeing anything gruesome (it's been awhile) but if that sort of thing turns you off, you might want to pass.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Feb 27, 10 2:12 AM
I hated this game , played it on another site ,,like sitting in a dentist chair ..Just made me feel very uncomfortable ,..

swatkins1971
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by swatkins1971 on Feb 27, 10 2:27 AM
Hi,
If you don't want to listen to the dialogue then press the space bar and it skips over everything. I loved this game and I preferred it to the original as it wasn't as jerky as the first. The concept of having to think through the clues to find the objects I found enhanced the enjoyment. I have played through this twice and chose the different men to see what would happen and it makes a big difference to the story. I also played on both difficulty ratings and that makes the game replayable in my opinion.
Yes there is a lot of talking but you can easily skip past it to get to the heart of a good game.

mismo55
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by mismo55 on Feb 27, 10 2:56 AM
Played about 10 mins. and got bored, very slow moving, not everyone knows what Tarrot cards look like, and I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to do on the first puzzle, even though I read the instructions, boring boring boring......

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Feb 27, 10 3:06 AM
I played the first game and I loved it.. I tried this one and I don't like it at all...Too many dialogues...Puzzles I don't understand.... The story is boring !
This game is definitely not for me this time

Raska

nwr1948x
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,360 Posts

[Post New]by nwr1948x on Feb 27, 10 3:13 AM
I agree.too much dialogue ! Pity,because the concept is good,and makes you

think more than the usual HOGS and IHOGS.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Feb 27, 10 3:58 AM
I have just finished ch 2 (yes I bought it) on untimed mode. I am just tootleing along on a lazy Saturday & & I haven't had a stressy over it YET !!

I loved its prequeal and I am loving this game too.

The story is interesting & quite in depth for a HOG game.

I love the way we are not told what objects to find. It is a HOG that needs a bit of brain power and lateral thinking.

Often with some games I find the voices incredibly annoying. (like that mother in Escape the museum) but apart from Sydney, there has been no one who grates.

I'll edit later if I change my mind, but all in all a great little game

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Feb 27, 10 5:34 AM
After finishing the demo, this is a definite "no" for me. The excessive dialogue and cut scenes interrupt the game so much it's impossible to really get into it. Seemed like the focus was all on the story and the gameplay itself was merely incidental. Pace was heavy and slow and although it could be argued that it fits with the game's overall theme, I just found it boring. Skipped a couple puzzles because they made no sense to me -- maybe I just wasn't engaged enough to give it a good try?? The word association aspect was OK and the voice actors did a good job, but for me, those two pluses don't make up for all the negatives I found. Not sure I'd even buy it as a daily deal..................

budordee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by budordee on Feb 27, 10 5:37 AM
TOO MUCH TALKING!!! Loved the concept with the hidden objects though; that part was unique and a lot of fun, but the talking kept breaking in. It let you skip the dialogue in some places, but it still interrupted the game too much. Don't think I will buy it. Would love to see other HOG with the same type of linking activity.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Feb 27, 10 5:53 AM
I did not like this game at all. I was looking forward to it because the first one was pretty decent. But this one is boring, so much dialogue. I still had 25 minutes left on the clock when I deleted it, so, to me, checking out the walkthrough, would have finished soon after buying it. And I don't play games fast, well, except for this one because I was not enjoying it. I just couldn't go through all those videos, I just wanted to play the game, not watch movies.

mickali
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by mickali on Feb 27, 10 5:57 AM
TOO much talking....usually love games like this but very annoying with too many pop up dialogs...not for me!

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by susielee on Feb 27, 10 6:21 AM
I played the beta version of this game. In my survey I told them it was WAY too much dialogue and very little game play. I guess they don't read the surveys!!

auntj38
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by auntj38 on Feb 27, 10 6:22 AM
Played demo....did not like this game at all. Will save my BF credit's for a much more interesting HOB.Skipped most of the dialogue and puzzel's.
auntj38

shaboo58
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by shaboo58 on Feb 27, 10 6:24 AM
loved the first one and enjoying the second............this is a keeper

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Feb 27, 10 7:45 AM
Ugh! I wish the developers would have put the cut scenes at the end of each level instead of interrupting game play with them every few minutes, which makes it unplayable for me.

The game concept is wonderful and I would have liked to play the full game, but the constant interruptions are just too annoying

hd2222
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by hd2222 on Feb 27, 10 8:14 AM
Agree with Goofyduck ...... can't even dignify the game with a response.

[Post New]by jayjaybear on Feb 27, 10 9:45 AM
I like games with some story to them. I don't like stories that have a little bit of gameplay in them.

Two fins down for me.

Go to: