bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

Your comments and reviews for Dracula Origin!

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Feb 28, 10 3:46 PM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Dracula Origin? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

Re:Your comments and reviews for Dracula Origin!

[Post New]by djrum525 on Feb 28, 10 5:17 PM
I absolutely love this game! It is a huge adventure game. No hidden objects at all. The puzzles are very hard. I did have to look at a walkthru for a solution more than once. This game had me cussing so much even the dog had to leave the room! But I was hooked from the very beginning. Graphics, music, story-awesome, did I mention puzzles? Numerous puzzles with a difficulty level ranging from medium to very hard. It took me more than a week to finish this game and worth every second of playing!

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Feb 28, 10 10:50 PM
One of my all-time favorite adventure games. Loved the graphics, story line, and puzzles. I'd put the difficulty level on a par or just below Nancy Drew Adventure games. The interface takes a little getting used to, but quickly becomes second nature. The developer was also nice enough to make some wallpapers of that nice shot of Dracula reclining on the couch!

Edited on 02/28/2010 at 10:51:04 PM PST

got2play
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by got2play on Mar 1, 10 8:58 PM
This was the first large (huge) file adventure game I've bought and played to the end and I loved it. I had to 'cheat' on a few of the puzzles...there is one in particular that I'm pretty sure is unsolvable!! haha...

It would have been great to see more interaction with the Dracula character...he's not in it much considering the game is named after him!

I would definitely recommend this game.

Edited on 03/01/2010 at 9:02:38 PM PST

toshiko
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by toshiko on Mar 2, 10 8:30 AM
KUDOS to all involved in putting this together ...for the graphics, the art, the music, the dialogue and oh yes...the puzzles. I did have to cheat or I would never have gotten thru.
Thinking this experience will be hard to follow. I enjoyed every moment.
Again...thank you.

I downloaded the game and I can't play past the opening. How do I get started?

[Post New]by musiclady1231 on Mar 3, 10 10:49 AM
bfgZambezi wrote:Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Dracula Origin? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

Edited on 03/03/2010 at 10:51:23 AM PST

Your comments and reviews for Dracula Origin!

[Post New]by mommyluvsstevie on Mar 3, 10 9:00 PM
bfgZambezi wrote:Hey Fishies!

Happy gaming!

jojo170968
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by jojo170968 on Mar 8, 10 10:08 AM
Is there any word on a new Dracula game?

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Mar 12, 10 6:47 AM
I have not heard of any. I would love to see a sequel for this game. One of my favorites!

[Post New]by damselfly on Mar 12, 10 9:06 PM
Help, this game is making me crazy. Am in cemetery in front of tomb, have gotten iron bar to top right hand corner. I cannot get it to bend bars.I am following the Big Fish Strategy, but I cannot get this part to work. What am I missing?

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Mar 12, 10 10:39 PM
damselfly wrote:Help, this game is making me crazy. Am in cemetery in front of tomb, have gotten iron bar to top right hand corner. I cannot get it to bend bars.I am following the Big Fish Strategy, but I cannot get this part to work. What am I missing?

Hiya damselfly! Welcome to the forums!

I would try going back and talking to the grave digger. Also note- that you are only making a small opening in the grate- you are never able to completely open it.

wildvaniilagirl
Shark
Shark
14,009 Posts

[Post New]by wildvaniilagirl on Mar 14, 10 7:07 PM
WELL.WELL..WELL.....just finished the game, and let me tell you what
a great game this is, GREAT GRAPHICS,music,to me most of the puzzles
are med to whicked hard,thats where my husband came into the game,
hes great with helping,I must say very important to click on everything,
so you don't pull your hair out,trying to find what you missed,worth the
money. large file game so it will take some time to play, where I"m
fairly new at these games, it took me a few hrs a day for 2 weeks to
finish...thank you had a great time..................linda

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 20, 10 5:28 AM
I bought Dracula Origin three days ago and it was my very first attempt at a LGF. I alwyas thought they would be too slow, aimlessly wandering from place to place and alot of hot air. WOWWWW was I wrong. I am loving this game, I play 3to 4 hours every night, its my fourth night and am so into it, I have to tear myself away from the computor. This morning my husband basically had to drag me away to bed at 4 am.I am trying very hard not to follow the walk through, but I really needed it when I got to the stables. Could not for the life of me figure out what to do with the traps and the rope and that bloody rat. Now Im at the Castle and trying to find the code to open the armory. I am loving it and hoping that I will have this much fun with other LGFs. All recommendations are welcomed. I love puzzles and creepy story lines and this was just for me. THANK YOU BFG for making my day!!!!!

karen888
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by karen888 on Mar 24, 10 11:27 AM
I'm at the beginning of this game, sitll in London and while it IS gorgeous... beautiful graphics, music..etc. I haven't made the connection I did with Kate Walker ( Syberia) or Ann Smith ( Paradise) I am getting a bit annoyed with ALL the very hard puzzles..that I could never figure out on my own...even tho...I stubbornly TRY before I give up in sheer desperation..... Maybe I'll get more into the game as it goes along...I hope so!

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Apr 6, 10 1:39 AM
jojo170968 wrote:Is there any word on a new Dracula game?

I read on wikipedia: "On November 23rd, 2009, Frogwares issued on its website that the company was working on a sequel. They stated that the plot would go as so:

POSSIBLE SPOILERS: Highlight to read on...

A Sequel to Dracula Origin is in the works. Graf Dracula survived the last encounter with Professor Abraham Van Helsing, but he has now to fight to recover his full power. In this episode you will play as the Prince of Darkness, fighting your old sorrows and the competition of a fierce challenger to survive. Venice, Paris, London, are on your agenda for this new adventure. Warm Blood will be your best friend, Garlic and stake your worst enemies!!!

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Apr 7, 10 7:36 PM
ya' know....I don't think I was cut out for large file games. I bought Syberia and hated it then I turned around and bought Syberia ll, hated it too. Then I saw this game. I read the reviews here. People were falling all over each other with praise for this game so.........I bought it........can't do a trial........so I bought it based on all of the gushing,over the top reviews for it.............it sucks too (in my opinion) How can you possibly know what to do next without running back to the walk thru every 5 min.? Seriously, I am not being a wise guy. I am at the very beginning, in a room. Some girl just left it. I have read the newspapers, located the crime scenes on the map and clicked on everything in the room. It won't let me leave the room, the girl didn't come back and I don't have a clue! ......Don't want an answer.....just needed to vent my frustration. @#!$ #$%^% *^#&@!!
sincerely,
Dr.good

[Post New]by lindala1955 on Apr 7, 10 10:59 PM
I loved this game. I recently finished and can't stand the fact that I cannot look forward to playing everday anymore. I wished it would have gone on and on. Yes, I needed the walk thru and even with it, at times I had to read and re-read how to accomplish many of the puzzles. It was the most challenging game I've ever played. I researched and found that this year Dragula Origin 2 is coming out. I am sooooo glad I just played this game in 2010 and don't have to wait years for #2. Am looking forward to the new release. YES!!!

Edited on 04/07/2010 at 11:00:48 PM PST

ZedTBear
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by ZedTBear on May 22, 10 5:06 PM
Superb game. Large screen high resolution graphics, the best I've seen so far. In depth story and game play. I had only one complaint and that was that I had to figure out the user interface. There was no play guide. I didn't even know how to exit the game. The game screen doesn't have visible controls/icons to click on. All you see is the gorgeous location you are currently at, totally uncluttered with no distractions. Once I discovered the Esc, space bar and left mouse button tricks, I was good to go. If you liked Syberia you probably will like this one too. The puzzles in my opinion are tougher. Many are doable with reasonable effort but some, well I would have been at it for ages without a walkthru. Overall it's a great, quality game and I look forward to a sequel. I give it 4 and half stars only because nothing is ever perfect. (By the way, I played this on a high performance Windows 7 64 bit system)

Honest Dracula Origin Review

[Post New]by Amberizzle on May 30, 10 12:49 PM
As a writer, game aficionado, and game design student, I want to give my honest review of Dracula Origin. I'll cover the main areas of play and grade them on an A - F scale and give details on why they received the grade that they did.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Let's start with everybody's favorite: graphics.

Graphics: A

Dracula Origin has a truly beautiful setting. From Transylvania to Egypt, every detail is covered. I especially liked the more traditional art, such as the paintings of the various women who had stayed with Dracula. Both the 2D and 3D artists should be given a standing ovation for modeling, lighting, texturing, fluidity of animation, and the character/object designs that brought this game to life. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the graphics, but let's not forget that excellent graphics do not an excellent game make.

Sound: C

The music for Dracula Origin isn't what kills it for me, although I would have preferred a bit of variety and less stereotypical compositions. What bothers me most about the sound design aspects of this game is the voice acting. Professor Van Helsing's voice never fails to annoy me. While I do love the accent and general tone, I never feel any sense of urgency or emotion from him. Stoic characters can be good characters, but overall, I felt no connection to Van Helsing through the voice acting. The Duchess also bothered me for this reason, and Jada's last scene was incredibly banal. If she's being burned alive, shouldn't she have some sort of pain or anger or... something in her voice? Overall, I'd call the sound design average for this game.

Writing: C

As mentioned above, I felt there were problems with the dialogue. Van Helsing's lines were stiff, and I found him to be an unrelatable character. His quest made enough sense, but I just couldn't find a reason to care about him. I feel like I should care about the characters in the games that I play, not yawn whenever they start to speak. The same held true for all of the characters, including Mina, the girl we are supposed to care enough about to rescue. She had so few lines and no meaningful dialogue whatsoever. Dracula came across as an elegant jerk, and I don't feel as though his power was fully explored. I never felt as though there was much danger until the final scene where "Armageddon" is happening. I would have liked to have seen more memorable characters other than the legendary figure himself.

Review Cont'd

[Post New]by Amberizzle on May 30, 10 12:59 PM
Puzzles: D

While I'll be the first to admit that the puzzles were difficult, some were difficult not because they required skill to solve, but because they were obscure and the player was afforded little explanation of what they were supposed to do. A popular case of this would be the Dracula portrait puzzle outside of the coffin area. If I read the forums correctly, this was one of the most difficult, if not THE most difficult, puzzle in the game, and very few people got past it without "cheating." I personally rather enjoyed the series of angel puzzles involving the various plaques because they made sense and had instructions, however cryptic, on the puzzle area itself so that I could understand what I was supposed to be doing. The point is that puzzles should challenge you because they require skill to solve them, not because you are given no instruction and have no idea what to do through no fault of your own.

Story: B

Your typical vampire fare surrounding the legend of Dracula, but more interesting than most. Points for it making sense and not losing me halfway in as some vampire-inspired games have done. Straightforward, but with enough detours to make it interesting and a good length. Well done.

Interface: D

I wish, oh, how I wish that this game had come with some sort of instruction manual! The interface operation was counterintuitive at best, and until I checked a walkthrough, I had no idea that the spacebar let you know what "hot spots" existed in a particular location. "Equipping" inventory items was another point of confusion for me until I figured it out, but come on. I should be spending time on the gameplay, not the interface! Good interface design flows and is natural for the player. I hope to see an overhaul in any subsequent games.

Overall Grade: C+/B-

This game was, overall, very enjoyable. Of course it had its issues, and these could be fixed with the experience of creating the first game. Dracula Origin is beautiful, but lacks a little in substance. Future games should focus more on the character interactions rather than lengthy "documents" in the player's journal, and perhaps some more emotive actors and actresses. Regardless, the game was fun despite its flaws, and can truly be recognized as one of the better adventure games released by a small studio.

Go to: