bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Apparitions: Kotsmine Hills

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 1, 10 12:05 AM
In the winter of 1929, the town of Kotsmine Hills was snowed in. A mysterious fire broke out and quickly spread through the town. Trapped between a wall of snow and a wall of fire, many people lost their lives. Since that day, those spirits have been restless and seek peace. Join The Atlantic Paranormal Society and Peter Wren Paranormal Agency to investigate the town in Apparations – Kotsmine Hills, a ghostly Hidden Object game.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

Re:Apparitions: Kotsmine Hills

[Post New]by phatkhat on Mar 1, 10 12:35 AM
I haven't tried it yet, but it got absolutely horrible reviews on another site. Most scenes you evidently have to hunt hidden objects with a flashlight - the screen is dark otherwise. I never much cared for those scenes, let alone a whole game of them!

I'll see what some of the other fishies think! The story sounds interesting, but I don't think it will save the game.

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Mar 1, 10 12:52 AM
I have played this game before and it's horrible! I wouldn't even wast time downloading it.
Every room you go into it's dark, so you have to shine this small flashlight around in order to find things. After a while it got hard on my eyes and made me visually sick.

Just hang on another day and a better game will come along.

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Mar 1, 10 12:57 AM
Hmmmn...The game is dark and object hunting is with a flashlight so eyestrain for some players may be of concern. Did not finish demo but since most paranormal activity is a "night" thing, would assume same type of hunting goes on throughout the game. Easy finds, no timer and 3 hints available (more that can be found in each scene). The story is not too bad but a little choppy. Graphics are good but don't think that enough to save the game. Guess will pass on this one.

lmf40
Clownfish
Clownfish
666 Posts

[Post New]by lmf40 on Mar 1, 10 1:02 AM
A fairly straightforward HOG. I didn't enjoy the demo at all, you had to either use a flashlight or a thermal device to find the objects, which is a shame because it appears to be a reasonable game and the scenes are well drawn but it just hurt my eyes too much after a while. I played through the first chapter in the hope that the second chapter wouldn't be done with the flashlights but it was. If your eyes can take it, it is probably not a bad game, I don't have the sound on when I play so can't comment on the music but the dialogue is easy to click through (I hate games where it doesn't let you choose when you want to move on to the next bit of dialogue). The only mini-game I played was whacking cockroaches with a flyswatter which was easy.

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Mar 1, 10 1:03 AM
This one not doing it for me either. Junk pile messy scenes and even had one scene where they forgot to give me a list!!
Won't even bother with full demo sorry.

raystownlady
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by raystownlady on Mar 1, 10 1:09 AM
It's hard enough on your eyes when you have a few dark scenes but a whole game of it.What were thinking!!! Will certainly wait on better games than this.

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

Apparitions: Kotsmine Hills

[Post New]by mmemubon on Mar 1, 10 1:41 AM
I would rather click at the junk piles in the jungles than the dirty messy factory and make you feel like you know what. I need a pair of super- glasses to find the junk. Wonder where can I buy that? After 30 minutes play, I feel so sorry of my eyes. No buy again.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 1, 10 1:59 AM
I played two scenes and, even with the flashlight it did not show the items at the top of the screen clearly enough for you to see what was there ... I lost nearly all my points for wrong clicking and boy do they nag you about that. I play games to relax and can do without being treated like a naughty schoolgirl because I can't see due to their poor game quality.

This is one of my pet peeves ... what difference does it make to the developer how many times a person misclicks? If the graphics were clear enough in the first place there wouldn't be any wrong clicks but to penalise you because you cannot see the objects because they are dark on an extremely dark background sucks, in my opinion.

BFGJunkie
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by BFGJunkie on Mar 1, 10 1:59 AM
Absolutely a no buy for me. After 10 minutes of the demo, I was seasick and suffering eye strain. Will wait for something better to come along.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 1, 10 2:17 AM
I think the beta testers said it was too easy so the devs said, ok then we'll just turn out the lights and search in the dark. 2 rooms had doorways but you couldn't enter, just peer through to an even darker room. I could tip my laptop screen so far to lighten up the next few rooms but made it so faded out and no contrast it gets worse. Gotta quit saying if we want more challenges, they read this stuff

Inventory? Sure you pick up a hammer in one scene, then the next says you can use that hammer to break something. I didn't know there was an inventory but didn't matter, the game went ahead and smashed something for me on auto anyway..LOL boooo. No, I didn't hit any Skip interactive button.

What else. Oh, lots of hints if you can make out "ghostly faces" and collect those, just as long as you don't click a mask or human face by mistake. Then this balloon comes up saying I just lost points I'm supposed to only click things on the list Dude. Dude? I'm an old lady, why are you calling me Dude, DUDE?? How rude! I got a couple other warnings just because I can't even see the objects enough to ID them.

Then between scenes you have to sit and wait til a scoreboard spins through numbers and stops on your score...who cares?? I could do the mini games faster than the scoreboard figures me out. What else. Oh, hand gets very tired because at no point can you let go of the mouse (flashlight) til the scene changes and then start point/clicking fast to swat every dang cockroach that keep multiplying.

Then when you think they forgot to put the list up of items you figure out yourself you just hover over every area and get an electromatic readout of numbers that are on the list of numbers, and another scene STILL holding the mouse to hover everywhere looking for it to turn red on an object. Mine didn't do red, I made some stabs at blurry shapes that didn't turn colors and bingo. I would have said it was a waste of an hour but I nodded out before time was up. Usually hate it when I fall asleep in a timed demo but not here, I rather enjoyed my catnap, at least my hand relaxed and unclenched before tendonitis set it.

Not even if I were desparate, nor recommend it to a newbie. After 2 really terrific ihogs this week and outstanding ones earlier this month, what were they thinking?? Scarry, eerie? Yes. Scared they are running out of good new games and not saving the best for last

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Mar 1, 10 3:00 AM
I agree with most of the comments, too dark, items at top hard to see. At least one item at the top seemed to be completely off the screen. I sometimes had to click twice to get the Hint to work. Annoying Score tally at end of each scene. penalized for "too much clicking" but how else can you find some of these things in the dark? Also too talky in spots. Devs, please put all that info in a journal if you think it is necessary. I don't want to waste my Demo time with endless dialog but I do want to know the story.

This is a disappointment because I like the folks at TAPS and hoped this would be a good game. I also hoped I might see one or more of them in the game. They might eventually appear but I won't be there to see them.

Even with the difficulties, I found this game to be pretty simple. I used few Hints which is unusual for me lately with most games having incredibly small objects. Only one or two items were too small for me but the darkness was a stopper. Yes, TAPS and other do investigate in the dark but, really, if you want people to play this game, they need to be able to see the objects.

I hope that sometime we will see another game with the TAPS name and theme but that is a little easier to see.

Edited on 03/01/2010 at 3:01:19 AM PST

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Mar 1, 10 3:06 AM
Seriously? What were they thinking? And then chastise me for mis-clicks? I don't think so.

auntj38
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by auntj38 on Mar 1, 10 3:54 AM
[i] glad I played the demo first....this game is not for me. had to use hint's each time.hard to see. back ground music very annoying.no reset button on the mini game's which caused me to skip most of them. was glad when the demo was over. come on BF....you've given us some exciting HOB and puzzle game's. why throw in such dumb one's. with the review's you get on the forum you would think you'd learn which game's appeal.
auntj38

[Post New]by Clematis_es on Mar 1, 10 4:01 AM
I agree with the above comments. After three screens in which a flashlight is needed I gave up! Definitely a no buy for me.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Mar 1, 10 4:11 AM
Agree with other posters. If you'd like a headache, vertigo, nausea, frustration and a totally pointless gaming experience, this is for you. TAPS needs to dump this, fast.

Or, in other words:

Run, dude, run!

MrsSkippy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,388 Posts

[Post New]by MrsSkippy on Mar 1, 10 4:13 AM
I purchased it at another site . First scenes weren't too bad but then you also have to do EVP's, cold spots ect. I have had to skip a few mini games, becasue the instructions aren't clear enough on what you're doing. I only play a scene or two at a time 'cause that's all my eyes can handle. Normaly I would have finised it by now

silver64
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by silver64 on Mar 1, 10 4:16 AM

I tried the demo and gave up after 2 scenes - didnt like the finding things in the dark

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Mar 1, 10 4:44 AM
After reading all the reviews, I won't even bother with this game. I have a hard enough time seeing objects in some games without having see in the dark with a flashlight.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Mar 1, 10 4:49 AM
Well now, another turkey huh? In the dark. Are you nuts! One of the reasons I play/buy these games is the visual aspect. I like great art work and visions of beautiful scenery. In the dark? Are you nuts? If I wanted to torture myself I'd go and stare in the doughnut shop window.
Getting eye strain and a migraine headache staring at a darkened room is not enjoyable. Nope, nada, huh-uh. Or as the wizard said "not no way,not no how".
Get ready boys and girls, this turkey is headed for the $2.99 graveyard.
I give this game 5 gobble gobbles.
Dr.good

Go to: