cansrve
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

Re:Repeat Expeditions

[Post New]by cansrve on Aug 10, 16 3:44 AM
Well said India

I think you will find most are of the same thought as yourself.

We have all come across that odd one offer that is tricky causing us to use tara cards or ghost chasers to get through or in some cases even some gems to purchase the last artifact part or two.

There is the odd offer (names not coming to mind at the moment) that the room is only open for 2 hours making it exceptionally difficult to get through in one run so a second is often needed but that is the Exception not the rule!

I think what you are "reading" is also the exception to the rule, i dont think they have finished an offer of any sort of the few they have completed in one go. Instead of using a few cards or chasers or even gems they prefer to (ab)use their neighbours generosity to re-feed the same dragon over and over.

To each their own if thats the way they chose to play the game.

clm5457
Catfish
Catfish
1,588 Posts

[Post New]by clm5457 on Aug 10, 16 4:31 AM
I also never run an expedition but only once. I always buy my food with crystals to make sure I can finish it. I would never ask my neighbors to spent their hard earned food on me more than once. Their are to many other neighbors to help.
To each his own I guess. Just my opinion.

Epitome
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Epitome on Aug 10, 16 7:04 AM
Here is what I have to say in this:

Different times zones for each of us so I often get why some more than others ask for help when running a second, third of fourth expedition. So not all neighbors are up at the same time or depending on their real life schedule or situation can get on to play or help.

There are numerous newer and low level players which are still struggling to open new areas. And when an area is opened up there goes any where from 250,000 to 1.050,000 coins being spend on unlocking all the rooms, now there is that much less after spending to spend on any needed kits for more runes in the Maya Runes to get to the gold chest which give out 5 crystals and one can play every 5 hours or so when their time permits on top of the 5 from leveling up and also from higher Rank in the Duels where you get 5 crystal or gem when you get a higher rank. It gets pretty tough in that Tournament. Thus they may not always be able to buy the dragon food if needed and its not cheap either way, plus you got to also consider the other stuff one may need that also is paid with the same currency and some of that is also not so cheap.

There is the general rule of thumb which benefits all and that is put in ten percent and all ten get the Participation reward chest for what it is worth, the more that participate is few to many more who will not get any reward chest.

Most who ask for help do it probably because they want to show their generous and not as greedy as you may think and yes as you put it clm5457, it is your own choice to participate if you are willing and have the food to provide.

With a higher level, one could gain much more food if they play on despite nothing else to gain as the Daily Challenge or Challenges are completed in the first hour or less. If one self has nothing else to do then by all means play and help.

Then lastly there is the way the developer has set up the game in which you can only help one of each dragon at a time so if more than one or two neighbors are asking assistance with the same dragon, you can only help one and I always click on the ones with the least time left. I just click them one at a time until one of them pops up in the feeding window, I feed what I have to give and at the least I feed is 5% of the total and its good if I get a chest if not two.

That is a lot to consider when you see the same person asking help more than once, and it is your choice to help more than once, also to feed more than the de facto.

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on Aug 10, 16 11:18 AM
Leave the player alone, if a player wants to organize an expedition 20 times that's their business, let them.

Don't dictate terms, just don't feed into it, or feed into it.

Its your choice- the beauty of this game- choices!

edited to fix the paragraph

Edited on 08/10/2016 at 11:21:07 AM PST

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Aug 10, 16 1:32 PM
I would just like to add some things to what has already been said here.

First of all, I believe there are at least two new "guild" areas that require going to past "guild" areas (also known as "Valley of Magician" areas) in order to open up a new area. I recall having to go back and forth over and over again in order to get all of the Valley of Magician areas open.
What seems as a senseless repeat may indeed be a necessity for some players.

Next, I would like to say that sometimes I begin an expedition for the cards, rather than for doing the room that they open.

In addition, I would like to say that sometimes I feed a very low amount, then go into the game and see what I actually have in my backpack. Sometimes I have way over the 99 food items shown. I will add more - if my food store allows it.

And I like to use my small food items the most for feeding other peoples' dragons. For my own initiation I always at least do the 10% that is recommended, and usually use the highest foodstuff I have, in case I have to finish the expedition myself. I like to even out the number of food already fed - and then maybe add 1000, or 2000 depending on how much is needed and what has already been contributed - and also who has organized the expedition, and how many times I am able to feed.

I agree with Starmagicgreen, too. What we feed others' dragons is definitely a choice. We can feed as much or as little as we choose.

I do want to say that quite a few times I have opened up an expedition and have been shocked to see either too little time, or too much food required, or not enough times to be able to feed with the food that I have in store. Sometimes there it too much time - especially before I have to leave the game in order to make dinner nights. I had no idea so much food would be required and it gave 3 hours for my neighbors to help!
I am ALWAYS grateful for the help I get in my expedition dragon feedings, and sometimes I have to put out help requests here and in-game email.
Too, there are two different sets of food. One has grapes, the other has nuts. I always seem to be low on one or the other, and I never know which kind of food an expedition is going to require, until I open it. I haven't got a list of which expedition requires what kind of food. Nor do I intend to make one.

I just do what I can and what I feel comfortable with. Like India said - if there is low opinion of me because of it - so be it. But that is how I play my game. - My choice!

Vulcaness
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by Vulcaness on Aug 12, 16 11:52 AM
marliza wrote:
I do want to say that quite a few times I have opened up an expedition and have been shocked to see either too little time, or too much food required, or not enough times to be able to feed with the food that I have in store. Sometimes there it too much time - especially before I have to leave the game in order to make dinner nights. I had no idea so much food would be required and it gave 3 hours for my neighbors to help!

The length of time for the expedition and for searching the room plus how much food will be needed is usually available in the relevant offer thread on the forum and/or on Wiki.

As long as the dragon hasn't been fed or neighbors invited it isn't too late to cancel an expedition. Click on the "X". It will stay open for the allotted time and then disappear without anyone losing any food. Another expedition to the same room can't be started until the expedition time has elapsed so it is best to get the info ahead of organizing the expedition.

marliza wrote:
I am ALWAYS grateful for the help I get in my expedition dragon feedings, and sometimes I have to put out help requests here and in-game email.
Too, there are two different sets of food. One has grapes, the other has nuts. I always seem to be low on one or the other, and I never know which kind of food an expedition is going to require, until I open it. I haven't got a list of which expedition requires what kind of food. Nor do I intend to make one.

The grapes are for the Valley of Magicians expeditions and the nuts are for the side offers. Going to the Store and selecting the current offer on the top bar allows scrolling through to see which kind of food is needed.

Edited on 08/12/2016 at 11:56:51 AM PST

Vulcaness
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by Vulcaness on Aug 12, 16 12:09 PM
I've had neighbors who frequently do multiple expeditions for a single offer. I send them an in game message on where to locate Expedition Advice and explain I can't help every time. I've gotten messages saying 'thank you I'll look at it' and ones saying 'I'm sorry I have poor eyesight, a bad monitor, or something else that prevents completing in the time given'. Then I'll suggest the NP or other time expander'. If someone is having RL problems I take that into consideration and may help on multiple quests. Always their choice and my choice.

It is up to each person to join an expedition or not. I don't like to join quests where the organizer has put in less than 1000 pts. or ones where the organizer puts in so much (25% to 51%)at the beginning that there is almost no chance at getting the blue chest and may limit others contributing which can lead to failed expeditions. If they are new players I usually send them an in game message with where to locate Expedition Advice so that they can improve their expedition results. I have noticed that most survive, even thrive, without my contribution.

Expeditions to the Valley of Magicians are frequently done more than once. Again it is up to each person whether they want to join or not. I usually cursor over the chests to see the contents of the blue, lucky, & participant chest to determine if I want to participate and at what level. I start expeditions for the cards and to gain dragon feed realizing that neighbors may or may not help. Wiki is especially useful here as there is a list of everything needed and what you get for each possible expedition.

Edited on 08/14/2016 at 12:30:16 PM PST

jaid_diah
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by jaid_diah on Aug 12, 16 2:10 PM
I think the only time I did an expedition twice was the first time I did it. I didn't realize that once the dragon was fed, the clock started for the room. I thought it started when you actually clicked on the Room to start searching. Learned my lesson and thank goodness for the people who helped me out on the second go!

Oh wait, I did one other expedition twice...because of the week where the servers were down and I'd just finished the expedition.... and had to do it over again.

Mfft.

Sadie836
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Sadie836 on Aug 12, 16 6:43 PM
I don't like to join quests where the organizer has put in less than 1000 pts. or ones where the organizer puts in so much (25% to 51%)at the beginning that there is almost no chance at getting the blue chest.

This gets repeated over and over on this board. I only half agree. The Valley chests are pretty good once you get half way through, so if one of my neighbors who needs terra cards or summoning scrolls wants to go, then let them go. But with the offer dragons... There is almost nothing good in any of the chests. I only feed to help my neighbors. I have gotten to the point where I appreciate and favor offer expeditions where the neighbor overfed. The offer food dwindles quickly, and I get little for my participation. I still stay within bounds for my own offers and I don't know why. Oh yeah, this board. But yet I love my neighbors who overfeed the offers.

annebrady
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

Repeat Expeditions

[Post New]by annebrady on Aug 14, 16 7:46 AM
India1435 wrote:Ok I am going to say this once and it will probably make me unpopular with some folk.

When I run an expedition for one of the offers, I make sure that I finish it within the allotted time. I do not run that expedition again because dragon food is scarce and sometimes difficult to come by, unless you are priviledged enough to be able to spend real money on this game.

I will never expect my neighbours to feed the same expedition dragon more than once...now why do I read that some have to run a room three or four times to complete it. And don't throw the "our real lives don''t allow us to play non-stop" at me, check when you have the time and push through the 4 hours and finish it.

I will feed your dragon only once, and amply for that matter if food stocks allow.

There I have said my piece and boo-hoo to you if you have a problem with it, man up please!

PS. just an edit...I will feed your Magician Valley Dragons to bursting point every single time, but the above is only related to Offer Expedition Dragons!

annebrady
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by annebrady on Aug 14, 16 8:06 AM
Hi India, I read your post recently and it really has stuck with me. I guess I feel shamed and belittled because there are many times that I have requested help more than once on an expedition. Firstly, I agree with Marliza, that when I was a newbie I definitely needed more time to complete expeditions, partly because I did't know what I was doing, but also because I had several other quests to do, so it was difficult to know what was the priority in the game. Now I have more experience and have none of the basic quests levels to complete, well it is a different story. I must say that completing the twice weekly quests is my main focus as well as competing in comps for my guild. But sometimes those "RL" problems you refer to, actually do have an impact. My mother has cancer and has recent;y had a significant turn for the worse and is likely to die in the next week or so. My dad died 45 years ago when I was young, so mum is all I have left. I have tried to keep up with gifting and quests but my concentration and time are limited so I often cannot complete quests in the 4hrs allowed. But still I try, and I am very grateful to the help my neighbours give me when I ask them. I also spend a lot of money buying crystals so that I don't have to ask for everything. All I can say is that you can easily dismiss other people's effort, but we really have no idea what is going on in their lives.
This game is like a bubble where people go to play and have fun and forget their troubles but sometimes those troubles just are too much to deal with. Please don't discount those of us with real life problems because often they are much more serious than the game. We all do what we can do, play when we can play and hope that this game environment is accepting of us no matter what. I am very grateful to have wonderful neighbours, most of whom have no idea what I am going through, but help me all the same. And I am a part of a wonderful guild, who do know some of this and have been amazingly supportive, tolerant and generous to me.Remember, it is always your choice whether you support someone else's quests, not a requirement. So good on you if you complete every one of them first go. I used to be able to do that too, but real life got in the way.

Vulcaness
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by Vulcaness on Aug 14, 16 9:02 AM
annebrady wrote:Hi India, I read your post recently and it really has stuck with me. I guess I feel shamed and belittled because there are many times that I have requested help more than once on an expedition.

Please, please don't take things personally. Posters do get frustrated and don't stop to think before writing or word things poorly. I know I've had to walk away at times because I get so upset at what people say on here.

I only wish I could give you a real life hug at the moment.

annebrady
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by annebrady on Aug 17, 16 9:08 PM
Thanks Vulcaness and thanks India for sending a pm to explain what she meant. I was feeling overly emotional and over reacted but am so grateful for all the kind thoughts sent my way

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on Aug 18, 16 2:15 AM
To annebrady

[Post New]by mlborne on Aug 21, 16 12:38 PM
Let me share another viewpoint...

People play games for differing reasons: entertainment, relaxation, escapism, competition, etc. In the real world we tend to search out environments that support these goals such as playing on a competitive team in an organized league with the goal to win the trophy versus getting together with friends or a pick-up game. Some play to win, while others play purely to enjoy the companionship, fun, and conversation.

When it comes to giving/feeding, I understand that the rewards help move the gave forward; however, for helping is more important than the receiving the chests. No judgement, just observation.

In addition, we come from different backgrounds, countries, time zones, ages, abilities, technologies, internet access, time constraints, real life commitments, etc. Each one of us has the ability to create the environment we in which we want to play, including accepting and culling neighbors, all of which can be done kindly and graciously with no reason to make it personal.

With over, 6,000 players, seems like one would search out those with the same goals, if it is important in one's enjoyment of the game. Each of us develops our own strategies and preferences on learning methods. It is up to each one of us to join the team on which we want to play, share tips, and play nice.

Edited on 08/21/2016 at 3:11:13 PM PST

Go to: