level 4

[Post New]by flipsmom117 on Aug 10, 16 7:13 AM
its impossible to meet the goals

Re:level 4

[Post New]by gladysschmuck on Aug 10, 16 7:58 AM
That was my experience too. Tried it twice. No buy for me and I love match 3 games. I want fun, not frustration, especially this early on.

bfgIlinalta
3,807 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Aug 10, 16 10:12 AM
Howdy flipsmom117 and gladyschmuck,

Thanks for taking the time to post about the game! It sounds like there's some frustration with level 4's goals and I can completely understand that given that the difficulty seems to suddenly ramp up between levels 3 and 4 with the requirement of a large amount of yellow buttons and green fields to clear.

After playing past level 4, I can certainly see why this level might appear daunting, as I wouldn't have been able to complete this in the moves required in a normal match 3 game. However, this game has an interesting mechanic that allows you to click once on a button to flip it to its opposite (and hidden) side rather than dragging it to 'move' it. Each button's side is different, so you're not sure what's on the other side until you click on it to flip it. You've likely clicked a few buttons and saw this happen during previous levels.

The best part of this game mechanic is two-fold:

1. It costs no moves to flip a button.
2. Buttons can be matched/cleared by flipping a button.

This means that it's theoretically possible to finish a level using "no moves" at all. Level 4 relies on using this mechanic to succeed. I recommend using the button flip mechanic as often as possible to help set up large 'moves' that clear lots of buttons at once or develop into 4 or 5 match chains. Also, if you use the button flip to start rather than the limited moves, there is a better chance of finishing a level with more moves remaining, which determines how many stars are received at the end of the level.

To recap, the way to pass this level, and I suspect future ones of a similar nature, is to use the button flip mechanic often to allow the limited moves provided to make as large of an impact as possible. This, combined with later level's power-ups, will likely allow one to complete each level's goals.

Thanks for taking the time to post about the game, and I hope that increased use of the ability to flip buttons on the game board is able to help out a bit with this level and clearing it with moves remaining.

bfgIlinalta

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Aug 10, 16 10:16 AM
Based on the few posts so far I'm going to have to demo this tomorrow when I get access...I love challenging M3s and having pieces with 2 sides in them sounds like something I'd like to try. Was going to say that it sounded like you're not supposed to rely only on the limited swaps you get in the boards but you'd have to strategize by figuring out which pieces to turn over. Thanks bfgIllinalta!

[Post New]by gladysschmuck on Aug 10, 16 3:22 PM
bfgIlinalta, thanks for your comments. I understand how the game works and read, and used, the flips. Just had no success even with using them. Again, I play for fun. I appreciate somewhat of a challenge but this game is beyond frustrating. Beyond frustrating = no fun for me. Again, far as I'm concerned having a game be this difficult/irritating on little ol' level 4 does not bode well for the remainder of the game.

BTW your operative word "theoretically" certainly applies with this game.

Edited on 08/10/2016 at 3:26:33 PM PST

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Aug 10, 16 7:01 PM
I replayed level 4 three times before managing just one star! I'll go back at some point to try and do better, but it was this level that was the deciding factor for me to buy the game. I had to rethink my strategy each time, taking into consideration the limited moves, goals and using the flip mechanism. I realised that Button Tales would become more of a thinking/planning game than the usual M3 and that's a big plus for me!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 11, 16 12:59 AM
Even with the flips I wasn't able to get all the yellow buttons with the amount of moves available. And this is only level 4.

Unless the devs change the game so that Relaxed mode is immediately available, I won't buy this game. It will be too frustrating having to replay levels over and over so I can move on.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Aug 11, 16 7:52 AM
I three starred it on my first try. You have to use the flips constantly and try to get some matches that way. Sometimes it's more like a random process just clicking around on buttons turning them over to see what you can get. Also try to set up bigger matches so you can get the bombs to help you out. If you can keep the board moving around some with your flips and save your swaps for only when you can't get a flip match it's doable.

One of the trophies in the game is to win a board with flips only - I'm still working on that one.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 11, 16 8:03 AM
Yes, I managed it at last by flipping lots of tiles and making a match that way.

I like the idea of flipping tiles, but I simply don't care for the limited moves available, so I won't buy the game.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Aug 11, 16 8:01 PM
Valdy wrote:Even with the flips I wasn't able to get all the yellow buttons with the amount of moves available. And this is only level 4.

Unless the devs change the game so that Relaxed mode is immediately available, I won't buy this game. It will be too frustrating having to replay levels over and over so I can move on.

I continually played this game (OVER 10x!!!!) and I STILL can't beat this level and yes, I did the flipping act; if this game is THIS HARD on Level 4, then the rest of this game has to be just as ridiculously difficult. and I am NOT interested. Why is the RELAXED mode UNAVAILABLE?

MEnr56

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Aug 12, 16 7:57 AM
It is a shame that so many people are being put off by Level 4.

As I mentioned before, I initially replayed Level 4 three times before getting just one star. I left it at that during the demo. As I progressed in the game and got more used to the style, I went back and replayed Level 4 and got three stars at the first attempt.

It's a matter of patience, planning and using the flip mechanism to meet the goals. If you can get just one star, leave it at that for the rest of the demo so you can experience other levels. Level 4 was the hardest during the demo time.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Aug 12, 16 10:23 AM
I posted elsewhere that playing this game is more about getting used to the different play mechanic. Don't rely on your swaps; treat them like powerups instead. If you can't see anything right off, just start flipping sections of the board over completely or pick tiles at random to flip over by clicking. Eventually something is going to happen to move the pieces around. It *is* sort of a zen thing if you just sit there and click on the tiles and the worst that can happen is nothing! I can't understand why people are complaining about there not being a relaxed mode. It's already untimed and there's unlimited flips and the single click needed to flip tiles is easier on the hands than dragging. If there were unlimited swaps it would defeat the entire unique concept of this game.

If you don't get 3 stars on a level right away - it's only a game and your game stats aren't being posted to some you-suck-at-this site. Don't beat yourself up over it and have fun. If it turns out this isn't for you...there are plenty of other games out there, so relax and enjoy!

Go to: