bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Hidden Identity: Chicago Blackout

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 3, 10 12:05 AM
You awake with amnesia in a Chicago hotel room and can't remember your own name! Who are you? And how did you get here? You'll need to keep your wits to solve this riveting Hidden Object game! Explore scenes from your past and piece together your lost identity in Hidden Identity: Chicago Blackout. Uncover all the secret notes that you left behind and solve unique minigames to jog your memory. Will you unravel the mystery and discover your true identity?

Edited on 03/03/2010 at 12:32:53 PM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Hidden Identity: Chicago Blackout

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 3, 10 12:57 AM
Is it a timer that I have seen? No relax mode? Yes, it is quite generous - 30 minutes for 10 objects only...I met the same before, and in level 4 I've been given one minute to collect the same 10 objects.

Play it on your own risk...I am suspicious...and hungry.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Mar 3, 10 1:06 AM
Not impressed either - couldn't skip the mini-game.

Nansky69
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by Nansky69 on Mar 3, 10 2:13 AM
I almost played the full hour and still like the game very much! Great replay value. Story mode is timed, but you get 30 minutes every level, so time enough and the hint will quickly recharge.

Although you can't skip the minigames I find them quite amusing and not hard at all. I would love to know what endless mode gives you, but for me this is a BUY.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Mar 3, 10 2:17 AM
I was excited when I saw this was from PopC. I played about 30 minutes before doing the big delete. I liked the graphics. Not to dark, yet dark enough to hide some objects very well. Even though it had only a game curser, it was not fancy and did not seem to be at all mushy or slow the game down. The biggie for me was each scene is, to me, a junk pile HOG. There was no rhyme or reason as to where items were to be found. Do not get me wrong, I am a fan of HOGs, but in my opinion, there are much better ones out there. I feel Hidden Identity is borning.

So over all, I give the a Seattle two thumbs down.

Edited on 03/03/2010 at 12:41:33 PM PST

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Mar 3, 10 2:48 AM
This is from PopC???? O my. You'd think finding the post-its to open unlimited mode would've been a clue as PopC does something like that in all its HOGs. NOT up to their usual standards! No storyline, meh graphix & music, irksome scribble font, silly clues.....& 30 min timer PER SCENE when it could be done in a 10th of that time? Wow. Fast unlimited hints, but not able to skip the 1 minigame I hit so far. I've learned my lesson on buying games w/ no skips. In fact, I just posted about how I got no replay value on things like Ravenhearst simply b/c I don't want to do the same stupid jigsaw puzzles over & over each time it's played. At least in the Agatha Christies you can skip the clue rounds when you replay, at no penalty, & still are able to advance.

I gave up after 15 min b/c I hate to admit it for such a lame game, but I'm stuck....I have no clue where to "place the cigarette" & all the hint does it indicate said cigarette....which ya couldn't miss, being as tall as the train door!

Edited on 03/03/2010 at 12:41:22 PM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 3, 10 2:52 AM
Well after yesterday's HOG disaster trying to play in the dark this one opened looking pretty good LOL except for the (gulp) timer. There's Story Mode which I think you have to play to unlock the unlimited or Endless Mode unless I read that wrong, so I went Story.

Big plus is very colorful clear graphics, pretty easy to find but not wanting to look too long tick tick tick I used maybe 2 or 3 hints per scene to progress faster. No idea how many hints you have, didn't seem to need recharge as I used them pretty fast on last item or 2. But if you are into scoring, you lose around 7500 pts each hint I think(?). There is a map but only shows 3 locations at a time to choose from, so no idea how many there are, or further along there may be more per map. Since it's pretty easy I was surprised the timer didn't bother me so much, don't know how much you have to replay if time is up.

I'd hate to buy and find further along there are more scenes than I could handle in time alloted. It reminds me of the PI Series which I like very much because of the Unlimited hogs when you finish. You must find 2 of 2 notes in every scene to open the Endless. I finished a scene and closed forgetting to pick up the second note.

Mini games, no skip but easy. One though where you have to remember who you are looking at was confusing, no instructions what I was supposed to do but by the time I made 5 or 6 stabs at it it said Correct, so again, no random click penalties unless I lost points there too. I don't pay attention to scores.

If nothing better comes along I kept it on a maybe list, maybe for a freebie, but I'd like more information as to length and if the timer gets more challenging. then it's too much pressure trying to think. I wouldn't have gotten past 8 screens if the items weren't so easy. btw some clues are riddles, like cut wood threw me looking for fireplace logs or planks. Won't give spoiler here. There is minimal interaction, like finding and placing an item somewhere it belongs with another item.

Good one for a beginner who is a faster thinker than I.

Graphics
Timer
No tech problems on Vista laptop wide small screen.

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Mar 3, 10 4:10 AM
Not for me, since I like more complicated IHOGs. This is good for a beginner, though.

The timer started messing up after a while, indicating that I had taken 30 minutes to complete a scene. I hadn't even taken 4 minutes, so I don't know what was up with that.

What does "swish" have to do with a basketball, anyway?

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Mar 3, 10 4:13 AM
Scarlet, in case you're interested in giving it another try, the cigarette goes on the "no smoking" sign at upper left. My problem was just the opposite. I noticed the unfinished sign right away, and then couldn't find the cigarette! Yes, big as a house and I missed it.

buddhabme
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by buddhabme on Mar 3, 10 4:35 AM
I tried the demo of this last week over at ST and got such a kick out of it that I went rushing over to Big Fish to see if it was here. It was not, but now it is! I thought I would have to wait a few months.

Probably not the most challenging game out there but found it to be fun. I liked the mini games and really got a kick out of the odd clues. It's a buy for me. From what I can tell from just playing demos, it's very similar to previous ST P.I. games the main difference being the riddle like clues - as this is what I liked most about it, I decided to pass on the earlier offerings and wait for this one to come out.

Edited on 03/03/2010 at 12:42:04 PM PST

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by peutetre on Mar 3, 10 5:04 AM
BinLA wrote:Not for me, since I like more complicated IHOGs. This is good for a beginner, though.

The timer started messing up after a while, indicating that I had taken 30 minutes to complete a scene. I hadn't even taken 4 minutes, so I don't know what was up with that.

What does "swish" have to do with a basketball, anyway?

When a player shoots a basketball and it goes straight through the net, the accompanying "sound" is swish . . . that's it.

haggishead
Shark
Shark
13,780 Posts

[Post New]by haggishead on Mar 3, 10 5:08 AM
misty5 wrote:Scarlet, in case you're interested in giving it another try, the cigarette goes on the "no smoking" sign at upper left. My problem was just the opposite. I noticed the unfinished sign right away, and then couldn't find the cigarette! Yes, big as a house and I missed it.

same here misty

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 3, 10 5:35 AM
Been there ,,done that ,,why is BF putting out games from other game sites ? This is the 2nd game this week that I have played at other sites , That I wouldn't , expect to see here ..I expect better from ..Don't throw anymore bones in the pond this week ...Throw something in worth playing ,,,Gimmie something to talk about...

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 3, 10 6:52 AM
Well I was still on the fence about buying this game but, having gone back and played a bit more, I have decided not to buy as there are things in the game that I just do not like.

There is a timer, once I noticed it I was very conscious of it and it made me uncomfortable even though 30 minutes is a reasonable time to find the 10 objects plus 2 notes and I found myself keep checking it.

Well ... it is a reasonable amount of time if you know what a swish is ... I could have sat there all day looking at all the different objects and I would never have guessed in a million years. Being English I was looking for a broom or some sort of curtain rail and to find, on using a hint, that it was a basketball earned the game a big from me. If there is one "American only" meaning that is not universally known in the first scenes, it made me wonder how many more there were going to be in the rest of the game that I would not have a clue about.

There isn't a skip option on the mini games.

The other thing I found annoying was that when you click on an object it comes up with a number of points and the exact phrase that was used on the item list. This is fair enough because it is imparting information and confirming the score for that object. What I did not like was, after this information and your item have faded from the screen there is a 2.1/2" "afterglow" which was completely unnecessary. OK so it wasn't very bright but it really got on my nerves after the first few items.

Sorry PopC this is not for me.

C

Edited on 03/03/2010 at 12:44:01 PM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Mar 3, 10 7:17 AM
I demoed this one last week and it is ok...not a fave but I bought it here anyway. Ditto for Bonnie and Clyde. No a huge fan of HDO games but I need a couple to play today and have to take what I can get

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 3, 10 7:17 AM
OLDBAY - most the games we get at BF have already been first available at the developers' own websites, and we wait for them to contract with BF to be a distributor. Like now, many of us could get Virtual Villagers4 at full price by the dev, even a special Dev's Edition $19.95. But we wait and hope it comes to BF for a good price (and a punch ) You could have bought this game to have an early release from another site if you liked it. BF doesn't develop a lot of games each year so pickins would be rather slim, no way a new game every day. Many times BF does get a game first as a distributor, then in a few days or weeks I find it on SWave. So, due to contractual agreements of which we are not privy, you have a choice to buy early or wait for a better price from a club. Hope this explains it.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 3, 10 7:38 AM
I get it ..But honestly unless they come to BF first , they usually aren't worth playing much less buying ..If I see a game at another site that i haven't seen here , it's usually a dud ..I know I complain ..sometimes ..(smile)...But when I go this long without a new game ...I get a little cranky ..You understand ..don't you.. ..

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 3, 10 8:22 AM
I did say ,.. Usually .... not Always....Almost, always ...& Campfire is a good game.

sheaflyin
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by sheaflyin on Mar 3, 10 8:32 AM
Not a bad game, just boring. Same old, same old. I guess after playing Puppetville and Nightfall this kind of game just doesn't work for me. I also really like Mortimer Beckett and Campfire Mysteries, which I had never heard of, until I read about them here. Thanks fellow gamers!

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Mar 3, 10 8:32 AM
I get it ..But honestly unless they come to BF first , they usually aren't worth playing much less buying ..If I see a game at another site that i haven't seen here , it's usually a dud ..I know I complain ..sometimes ..(smile)...But when I go this long without a new game ...I get a little cranky ..You understand ..don't you.. ..

A lot of good games go elsewhere first - or don't come here at all. Inquisitor is a pretty good game, off the top of my head. But, you did say usually.

Well, for me, three days, three duds. Even the DDs. But that means Mudrock's 3 games have to come out in the next 4 days, right? Couple of those sounded very interesting. I looked at the trailer for one that looks extremely good!

So... C'mon over to the Pub, OldBay. Have a or two, and chat about games no one else is talking about.

Go to: