bfgZambezi
1,858 Posts

Your comments and reviews for Public Enemies: Bonnie and Clyde

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Mar 3, 10 9:55 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Public Enemies: Bonnie and Clyde? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

Re:Your comments and reviews for Public Enemies: Bonnie and Clyde

[Post New]by hosey1 on Mar 3, 10 10:17 AM
Would rate less than 1 on a scale of 1-5. Clues VERY small & difficult to see. Couldn't find direction on how to get additional clues. Not worth my time

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Mar 3, 10 10:20 AM
Tried playing timed, and 30 seconds to get all those HOGs and tiny, dark ones at that? Tried casual too, and I got bored almost immediately. A map with tiny arsed print where we have to find the towns they went to? Not a good game.

cruet42
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by cruet42 on Mar 3, 10 10:20 AM
Game won't recognize the mouse. Opening screeen freezes. I have a new computer so I don't think my software is a problem. I try a lot of games but have never had this happen.

[Post New]by Snakey_poo on Mar 3, 10 10:41 AM
Although I thought the screens were very nicely drawn why do game developers think that making items so small is a good idea? I got to the garage where there are dollar bills to pick up (for some reason they are called tickets and not dollars) and then 20 bundles of dollar bills to pick that had my nose about a quarter of an inch from the screen looking for them all. Also having a limited amount of hints which take forever to recharge is another no-no as far as a HOG game is concerned. I got fed up with this game pretty quickly and uninstalled the game about half an hour into the demo.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Mar 3, 10 12:09 PM
I like HOGs, but this one, I don't like.

I liked the Bonnie and Clyde theme but surely they could have done more than just put tiny objects for us to find and tiny lettering on a map?

Boring.

Candukay
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,319 Posts

[Post New]by Candukay on Mar 3, 10 12:11 PM
Why develop a game with a magnifying glass if we can't use it? I got as far as the camp during my demo and the magnifying glass was still "disabled".

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
223 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Mar 3, 10 12:20 PM
Oh my, what a brain freeze. Items made small on purpose, not interesting. The map at the beginning stalled me from ever coming back. That is no challenge. Game developers, why don't you make some more LARGE FILE GAMES????? I have been waiting for months.

wrennie
Minnow
Minnow
276 Posts

[Post New]by wrennie on Mar 3, 10 1:53 PM
I really liked the premise of the game but..........some of the items were a bit too small for me to see and I had to rely on the hints; I thought I'd go totally blind trying to find the towns on the map; I couldn't get back to the screen where you can enable the magnifier (total bummer) and I thought it could have been a little more colorful.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Mar 3, 10 1:57 PM
I am in the minority here but I like it. I think the zoom feature may have been disabled due to it being a trial.

No technical issues here but I thought the search for small items makes the game longer as opposed to shorter. Since there is no walkthrough yet I'm not sure about the game length but i got as far as the grocers before time ran out.

I liked the map feature...thought it was quite interesting and not one I've seen before in other HOGs. I would not pay $6.99 for this game but may get it with a free credit or wait until its $2.99 on the daily deal.

For me the graphics were fine and I have a widescreen. No fuzzzy graphics, no dark areas. The developers warn at the beginning that they suggest turning your monitor to the highest brightness for best game experience,

As for objects being too small, at least they were to scale. I HATE games with pencils that run the length of the ceiling. Also, there were not junk piles. And yes, there were areas where you had to find "hidden spots" but I am not a fan of the sparkles that give them away and prefer games that make you think, "where would I hide something if I didn't want it to be found." The hidden spots were logical if approached that way.

And a small file size does not necessarily mean short game. It's all about how it was developed that determines the file size: not length. Look at Escape from Secret Island for example. 59 MB but a good three hours of playtime.

Granted its not up there with the MCF or Hidden Expedition Games but it is challenging and not, in my opinion, a total waste of time. I actually enjoyed my demo time and only got frustrated a few times until I got the hang of it.

Not recommended for those with poor eyesight or for those that like clues and sparkles that show them what to do next. But good for those that like challenges and don't mind taking it slow.

Three out of five stars for me. Could have been better-but could have been a lot worse. At least give it a try. It's not for everyone, but some may like it.

snailysue
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by snailysue on Mar 3, 10 2:08 PM
I love BigFish games but I have to say that this one isn't worth it. It was so completely boring and unimaginative that I gave up on the third visit to the map.

Sorting different shaped bolts from a screen full of bolts, several mindless times over, and then back to the map for the third time nearly had me asleep.

The backgrounds are nicely drawn but this game will only last a decent length of time because the items are so stupidly hard to find!

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Mar 3, 10 2:52 PM
This is at least the 4th HOG that's come out in the last few WEEKS from this Hdo outfit & they all suck equally. You can tell they've just been thrown together quickly following a rigid formula from which they won't deviate. I'm wondering if Secrets of the Vatican also isn't one of theirs as it was similar in setup & tediousness. The other 3 are Gulliver's Travels, Around the World in 80 Days, & 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (I think that's the # of leagues LOL).

They're all incredibly boring despite utilizing classic novels (or in this case, gangster history), very dark, poor graphix, extremely sm objects, misnamed HOs, has an annoying list that starts w/ 4 HOs & then pops in a new one whenever you find one, starts you w/ 9 hints that are apparently supposed to last the entire game b/c they don't tell you otherwise (but I vaguely recall clicking on something by mistake in one of the Jules Vernes that did give an xtra hint for each one you found).....they've been irking me each time I d/l one & the Hdo name comes up b/c there's no pt to playing it....you've tried one, you've tried em all. I get sucked in by title b/c I like the novels HOG trend & then it's one of these GRRRR There's just nothing exciting, new, or interesting about them, & this is from someone who periodically attempts to get past level 78 in the Match 3 ATWI80D b/c it's a darn good tale. How any dev can take great stories like these & consistently turn out such utter dreck I am sure I dunno. And every single one of them I get the didn't uninstall completely error msg when I realize what it is & trash it!

Picman, do us all a favor & don't get the rest of them! They're just awful awful awful, each more disappointing than the last. I wouldn't buy these in a 99 cent set!

Sage103082
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,562 Posts

[Post New]by Sage103082 on Mar 3, 10 3:38 PM
My guess is there was a reason this game was a soft release. I got as far as the map scene and it was to much. Good graphics but thats about it. I only played for 15 minutes and that was to much for me. Sorry BFG a rare miss.

[Post New]by marshamank on Mar 3, 10 4:21 PM
I can't even get into the game. I'm on the opening page and its as if my mouse won't work. UGH UGH UGH.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,988 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Mar 3, 10 7:43 PM
Great storyline - Bad game. Why do creators think hunting for teeny tiny dark things is fun? I really wanted to like this game, but after 30 min it was trashed. Also the beginning in confusing on how to enter the game after creating profile. The small arrow lower right is hard to see at first.

Edited on 03/03/2010 at 7:44:48 PM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
327 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Mar 3, 10 7:58 PM
Well, I actually like the game, especially because the objects to find are
really small, making them more of a challenge to find. I dislike large items that are too easy to find and I can finish the game during the demo time. I just put my reading glasses on, listen to talk radio, and search for items. I find it very relaxing. The graphics are superb... very authentic to the story, and take me back to a simpler time... not necessarily B & C's time, but still, a simpler time. I've always found the true story of Bonnie & Clyde interesting. I make no apologies for liking the game despite popular opinion, but then, I've always been one to go against the grain. Yes, I will purchase this game, because the replay factor is also there. Incidentally, I've only had to use the hint button once, and moving along fine finding items. The key to this game is PATIENCE... just relax, and enjoy. If you want action packed.... you won't find it in this game. Sometimes I like fast pace frenzied action, and other times I just like to chill and zone out. A little like zen
relaxation for me. Anyway, different strokes for different folks I suppose, and there is no right or wrong in that.

Addendum: I finished the game in approx. 7 hours, and that included walking away a few times while tending to other things. Again, I liked the game a lot. And to someone else who inquired if there were hint features... yes, there are little gold stars in the scenes that pop up after you use up all your hints. Just click on one, and you get another clue if you need it. Also, when searching for map tips, here is a hint... within each segment, all towns are within close proximity of each other, during B&C's travels.I hope BFG keeps making these more difficult to find object HOG's, in order to give variety to the already numerous easy to find ones. Not everyone is the same. Someone else also indicated that the music was strange... well, Bonnie & Clyde in real life were strange, and I thought the music fit their style as well as the era. I guess I'm the lone shark in the sea of fishes here, in liking this game. Oh well, to each his/her own, but I think most people didn't give fair chance for the game, and are a bit too critical (unfairly so), or maybe I'm the odd fish in the sea here, but then again, I like it that way. If everyone goes one way, I like to deliberately go the other way in order to find things out for myself and give things a chance ;-)

Edited on 03/05/2010 at 6:56:31 AM PST

[Post New]by chalkiemonster on Mar 3, 10 8:09 PM
No skip button, no sale, lol. Some items were too tiny and too dark, limited hints. I played about 1/2 hr, but wont be buying it.

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Mar 3, 10 8:18 PM
Great storyline~ KILLER great music but I couldn't see a dang thing! Bummer-I was looking forward to it from the direction it was heading me in but even on a 23 inch monitor, objects were wayyyy too tiny for me to find.
I've been having an awful time finding good games here as of late. Am feeling a bit spoiled rotten saying that too...am I just burning out?

Edited on 03/03/2010 at 8:20:56 PM PST

[Post New]by Tassygirl1958 on Mar 3, 10 8:25 PM
I am a HOG addict so there aren't too many I don't like....except this one! I apologize...but this HOG is really REALLY BAD!!! The music so, so, objects are ridiculously small and difficult - no almost impossible to find! And finding the towns on the map...just plain moronic! BFG I love you...but this one is a total bomb!!

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Mar 3, 10 8:45 PM
I didn't mind that the objects were tiny as much as I minded that they were mis-labelled. A chandelier is something that hangs from the ceiling. It's NOT a candleabra, which is sort of what I found that the game accepted as a chandelier. There were quite a few examples of this.

The tiny objects were annoying but lots of games have those. But there just didn't seem to be any point to it. Did they have to be so tiny? I don't think so. It's like the developer thought making them small made the game more interesting. But it doesn't.

I also really didn't understand the hint mechanism. Why only offer 9 hints? Why not offer chances to get more as the game goes on? And I agree with those that said it took to long for them to re-charge. Waaaay to long.

Plus what was up with the timed version? Like a minute to solve a level with tons of miniscule objects? What idiot thought that was fun? Sorry. Not trying to be mean here but geeez.

And even with all that, if the game had been interesting, drawn me in, challenged me in any meaningful way - then I would have enjoyed it. As it was, I lasted about 30 mins and decided that grinding my teeth in frustration was no way to spend my life.

Yet another no-sale for me. Maybe this is Gods way of telling me to play the games I already own.

Go to: