Sage103082
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,562 Posts

Wants to install microsoft visual c++ 2008 redistributable setup??

[Post New]by Sage103082 on Mar 4, 10 8:46 AM
Trying to install and it wants me to install microsoft visual c++ 2008 redistributable setup. Did it ask anyone else?? Not sure if I should install it or not. My pc is fairly new and I am a little uneasy. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Re:Wants to install microsoft visual c++ 2008 redistributable setup??

[Post New]by guliramsamsam on Mar 4, 10 8:49 AM
Everyone had to install this, you can do it, no problem !

purplehaze72
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,258 Posts

[Post New]by purplehaze72 on Mar 4, 10 8:49 AM
i installed it cause it asked me too, and i wanted to try the game! don't think it hurt my computer

Sage103082
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,562 Posts

[Post New]by Sage103082 on Mar 4, 10 8:59 AM
Thank you, I did not know if I was the only one asked or what. I feel a lot better now.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Mar 4, 10 9:44 AM
Not to worry. C++ is a programming language, routinely used in many applications, including games. The version you're being asked to download is the Microsoft SilverLight, which is basically (short form here!) a programming feature much like Adobe Flash. It's an enhancement to prior gaming capabilities.

If a game specifically uses it, or an updated "library" of functionality with it, they'll ask you to d/load it.

Edited on 03/04/2010 at 9:45:18 AM PST

BelindaR53
Clownfish
Clownfish
800 Posts

[Post New]by BelindaR53 on Mar 4, 10 11:34 AM
THANK YOU PEPPER....for explaining this to us. But, why does this game need that program for it to run? Thanks again....

Pepper010 wrote:Not to worry. C++ is a programming language, routinely used in many applications, including games. The version you're being asked to download is the Microsoft SilverLight, which is basically (short form here!) a programming feature much like Adobe Flash. It's an enhancement to prior gaming capabilities.

If a game specifically uses it, or an updated "library" of functionality with it, they'll ask you to d/load it.

chrysteen
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by chrysteen on Mar 4, 10 11:38 AM
well I didnt install it and now my game wont work. How do I find this installation now?

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Mar 4, 10 1:45 PM
Hi folks,

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that if you download a game and are prompted to update or install additional programs, for example C++, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 or Direct X. These programs are probably necessary for the game to run properly, so you can go ahead and accept them.

If they weren't accepted the first time around, you can always reinstall.

~Update~

Or, if C++ isn't installing from the prompt you can install from here.

No worries, our games are thoroughly tested and won't include anything that will harm your computer.

If you are concerned with updating or installing any of these programs, you can contact Technical Support for more assistance.

Just click on the green envelope to the right of the screen, and then click "Contact Us" at the bottom left of the next page to reach Customer Support.

Or if you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can connect to Live Chat

Hope this helps!

bfgTigris

Edited on 03/05/2010 at 9:35:05 AM PST

Lazzarith
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Lazzarith on Mar 4, 10 8:06 PM
I also declined the installation - partly because my anti-virus needs renewing. The game played just fine for the hour of free play for me using Vista. No idea why I would need to download anything from 2 years ago to be honest. Perhaps if you have XP or older you might need to install this program who knows. Maybe the tech guys can confirm if it has something to do with the version of windows.

nancymc
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by nancymc on Mar 5, 10 7:47 AM
install it, it will help your computer over the bumps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the game, makes one recall childhood math problems-- since I'm 81 years, all these little items help the old brain work better. Thank you, BFGs. Nancy

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Mar 5, 10 8:06 AM
What a fun game this is... Yes I also had to install Microsoft Visual C++. I did not even hesitate as I knew Visual C. Many years ago, I took a class in programing in Visual. I mean many, many years ago ... LOL ...

Go to: