Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Reflections of Life: Call of the Ancestors Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 13, 16 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/13/2016 at 8:20:01 AM PST

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Reflections of Life: Call of the Ancestors Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by rainworm on Aug 13, 16 3:50 AM
Alice (again "Alice"?!) is not 13 but 21 - ok, a bodyless demon wouldn't take a girl's...
But aside from this minor "glitch" - I played into the demo and must admit: this is of course not a challenging adventure game, more of a fantastic story with a magic helperghost, I could use in my everyday life for sure! So I will go on and see, what Alice can accomplish in the demon world.
HOS I found so far, were not bad, the puzzles easy and refreshing. Time for relaxing entertainment.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Reflections of Life: Call of the Ancestors Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 13, 16 5:32 AM
rainworm wrote:Alice (again "Alice"?!) is not 13 but 21 - ok, a bodyless demon wouldn't take a girl's...
But aside from this minor "glitch" - I played into the demo and must admit: this is of course not a challenging adventure game, more of a fantastic story with a magic helperghost, I could use in my everyday life for sure! So I will go on and see, what Alice can accomplish in the demon world.
HOS I found so far, were not bad, the puzzles easy and refreshing. Time for relaxing entertainment.

I did a Beta, and agree with what you have said. My notes say, "I was disappointed when the Beta ended. I want to find out what happens next. Buy this!" I look forward to playing this game in its entirety.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Reflections of Life: Call of the Ancestors Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by mamajay on Aug 13, 16 5:46 AM
I also played the beta of this game, and while not "blown away" by it, liked it enough to try the demo.

I am glad I did. When the demo finished, I wanted to keep on playing (always a good sign, lol), so, I took advantage of the sale, and bought it!

I think Alice's sister Anna (played by us) is a resourceful young woman, and luckily for us, not subject to huge bouts of disbelief over what's happening.

The graphics are good, I like the story, the music seems suitable, and the voiceovers are pretty good too - including the monster, lol.

So, as always, try it first - you may just like it

Cheers,

Jen

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Aug 13, 16 8:18 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Reflections of Life: Call of the Ancestors Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Reflections of Life: Call of the Ancestors Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Reflections of Life: Call of the Ancestors Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Aug 13, 16 10:01 AM
I found this game really boring and will not even be considering the SE.

The gameplay was far too easy, and the game just seemed really simple. There was nothing special about this game and I think that I will probably forget about this one very quickly.

Does not seem very long either, blink and you will miss the trial as it was so short.

Disappointing.

jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by jan1949 on Aug 13, 16 6:06 PM
I am having serious deja vu with this game so maybe I did the Beta. It seems like a long time ago that I played this...oh well. It is a fair game with good graphics, fun puzzles and good HO's. Alice looks 13 even though her cake candle displays 21. As others have stated, the game seems quite simple and serious gamers may not like it. Just try it and see for yourself. I don't care for it but do like the others in this series.

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

A duck but a VERY good duck

[Post New]by kandinsky on Aug 14, 16 5:58 PM
This is my review at the sale section but I would like to give it here and
add a note at the end:
review
Ad Reinhardt whose black paintings take abstraction to a sort of limit, was asked if it were no longer possible to do a painting of a mallard duck in our time. He replied of course you can do it but you better do it VERY well!
My feeling is that this game indeed ,as a reviewer said, makes one wonder if there is a certain brain dead quality in developers who come back again and again to the absurd fantasy plot of a girl whom the dark side wants to use to rule or destroy the world or whatever. It is like an artist painting a mallard duck unable perhaps to think of anything else.
And yet this game handles this silly and threadbare plot in such a bright and engaging way that I find it irresistible fun.
Perhaps it is the graphics which seem uncommonly good, and the whole way of setting out the story.
It works for me on some level deeper than thought ...it may for you.
So on the one hand I join wholeheartedly in asking developers to go beyond these plots which are at best practice pieces in learning to write fantasy and build worlds and create characters.... we beg you!
But, gosh , this seems to me a very fine drawing of a duck!
thank you for it and...next time move on.
adding now this:
that I wrote this midway and then our heroine comes to a very attractive place a little like dante's earthly paradise with a river in the middle and ... beautiful I thought but the ending of the story for me then went down hill ,passing into drabber terrain also picking up speed like a plot rushing towards the sort of end absolutely conventional to this kind of story and I felt a little let down. still Ill stand by the review but all the more raise the cry for change in the building of fantasy worlds and stories.

Edited on 08/14/2016 at 6:01:35 PM PST

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by plat1098 on Aug 20, 16 2:27 PM
Well, I'm playing the demo, and I like it. I've played enough HOP games to where the demo pulls you in like a vacuum cleaner and then fizzles out after time's up. I'm not an "expert" HOP player, but so what? I find the graphics, story line, pace and game layout of importance also. Some of the characters look like they were modeled after real life people, maybe even someone in Grandma Studios, lol.

Appreciate those who hinted that the game stays consistently playable after demo time is up. So, I'll consider it, when there's a sale.

Go to: