soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

Finished Last Night,But Because Of Hateful Talking Characters Never Want To Play Again!

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Mar 8, 10 3:36 AM
My how my opinion of this game changed!
Wow never have I played a game with such continual negativity. Because of the SNOTTY attitude of Petra,the main character especially but also every other character as well,this game is NOT FUN to play! I came to hate it,and I know I will never play it again,in fact I have deleted it.

Just thought that I would warn others,that it does not get better,after an hour of playing this and listening to those sarcastic voices from every character,you come to wish for another war to see them all destroyed!!!!!!!

It really grates on your nerves. What a nasty, mean-spirited,hateful game!

Edited on 03/08/2010 at 2:24:20 PM PST

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

Re: Finished Last Night,But Because Of Hateful Talking Characters Never Want To Play Again!

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Mar 8, 10 4:22 AM
If I remember the reviews correctly the *edgy* attitude was a plus for some players. I figure if I want sarcasm etc. I can get it for free online so I played just a short bit of the demo and deleted because of that. Sorry you bought it though

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

Re: Finished Last Night,But Because Of Hateful Talking Characters Never Want To Play Again

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Mar 8, 10 6:30 AM
Mojave_Rain wrote:If I remember the reviews correctly the *edgy* attitude was a plus for some players. I figure if I want sarcasm etc. I can get it for free online so I played just a short bit of the demo and deleted because of that. Sorry you bought it though

Thanks,yeah I really never expected that attitude to be throughout the entire game!
Oh well that's only the 4th game I've ever deleted because I couldn't stand it, so I still have quite a few that I really love,but just wanted to warn others,if really hateful,sarcastic voices get to them, not to waste their money on this game,because by the end you will really hate it and the characters,LOL!

Petra even has a perpetual sneer that never changes and that makes you hate her even more! Wish she was a Sim that we could put in a room and then remove the doors,or put in the swimming pool and remove the ladders! She brought back memories of the Original Sims game and the different ways players would post in the Sims Forum that they "offed" their Sims they came to hate,and everyone hated one male Sim Slob that came already pre-made in the game, Bob Newbie,and I think most of us killed him off,LOL! Yeah,it would have made this game lots more fun,than it is.

Edited on 03/08/2010 at 2:16:34 PM PST

Re: Finished Last Night,But Because Of Hateful Talking Characters Never Want To Play Again!

[Post New]by debb0011 on May 7, 10 10:38 PM
a waste of time and money

ScarybookGirl
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by ScarybookGirl on Jun 17, 10 7:26 PM
You guys have no sense of humor . The saracarm was freaking funny...i swear somepeople can be such drags...

betty1k
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by betty1k on Jul 31, 10 8:43 AM
ScarybookGirl wrote:You guys have no sense of humor . The saracarm was freaking funny...i swear somepeople can be such drags...

Scarybook,

you are SOOO right. the sneer and sarcasm was to give it the "old black and white dectective movie" feel.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Aug 28, 10 6:53 PM
Are you serious?! Have you never heard of sarcasm or irony or wryness?! This game was AMAZING! It sounds like you dont understand this type of film noir attitiude and dry sort of detective storyline.
LOVED this game!

[Post New]by MariposaMorada on Sep 3, 10 10:22 PM
I thought it fit very well with the atmosphere of the game; Petra knew the state of the people around her in the context of the oppression under which everyone lived, and she was looking for justice and thus had to work with crooks and other sketchy characters. I can think of many conversations that didn't have "hateful" overtones, and if she weren't so quick to question or doubt everything around her, she wouldn't get very far.

Besides... what would her character have been like otherwise? A really nice, soft-spoken lady detective? In this setting? Hmmm...

Anyway, I found it all to be more amusing than irritating, so it was a plus for me. Just my two cents.

ccostly
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by ccostly on Oct 17, 10 7:33 PM
I enjoyed this game. The dialogue and the sarcasm was a trifle annoying at times, but most of the time, I found it a hoot. It almost felt like no one really liked each other in Oz which was a totally different perspective than the movies Wizard of Oz and Return to Oz...Different type of game. The only complaint I had was that Petra walks slow sometimes.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Oct 23, 10 4:14 AM
I thought it was fun. I was laughing from the beginning. I've used up most of the demo time, and have it put aside for purchase next month. Film noir in green.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Feb 5, 11 9:34 AM
jennsmom wrote:I thought it was fun. I was laughing from the beginning. I've used up most of the demo time, and have it put aside for purchase next month. Film noir in green.

I never did get it in November, but I have it now (February) and it's every bit as good as I remember, although I did have to start from the beginning, having lost the "flow" of the game. Yay!

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

Finished Last Night,But Because Of Hateful Talking Characters Never Want To Play Again!

[Post New]by Tailteann on Feb 5, 11 10:25 AM
soblessed57 wrote: My how my opinion of this game changed!
Wow never have I played a game with such continual negativity. Because of the SNOTTY attitude of Petra,the main character especially but also every other character as well,this game is NOT FUN to play! I came to hate it,and I know I will never play it again,in fact I have deleted it.

Just thought that I would warn others,that it does not get better,after an hour of playing this and listening to those sarcastic voices from every character,you come to wish for another war to see them all destroyed!!!!!!!

YIKES Soblessed!

I'll take sarcasm and dark wit over mass murder and world destruction any day, thanks.

Also, loved this game.

skyboytoo
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,872 Posts

[Post New]by skyboytoo on Mar 15, 11 7:08 PM
Loved it, sarcasm and all.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Jun 6, 11 11:51 AM
soblessed57 wrote: after an hour of playing this and listening to those sarcastic voices from every character, you come to wish for another war to see them all destroyed!!!!!!!

Wow. Just wow.
May I comment that your suggestion of a war sounds rather "a nasty, mean-spirited, hateful" solution? It's just a game... one wonders why you continued playing it to the very end if it upset you that much.

Edited on 06/06/2011 at 11:52:06 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jun 6, 11 12:12 PM
(This is obviously an old thread, but I'm glad that RenaissanceMom dug it up!)

Hey Soblessed--Sorry that you were soured by the Emerald City Confidential characters. The game is a look-alike to many "detective-noir" films and other games, maybe not too far removed from the two "Nick Chase" sarcastic-but-funny ones. Petra is the classic, hardened PI who won't take c(r)ap from anyone, because she can't afford to.

If I were as turned off by a game as much as you apparently were, no way would I stick it out to the end! IMHO, there's as much sarcasm in an episode of NCIS as there is in this game. And it seems a bit "over-the-top" to wish a "war" on some PC game characters!

Edited on 06/06/2011 at 12:20:13 PM PST

Lornabee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Lornabee on Apr 12, 12 7:12 AM
Wow, and murdering your Sims totally isn't hateful behaviour...

Oops, sarcasm, sorry!

On topic: The attitudes and shady characters are just typical of the Noir-ish style, and whilst you were obviously unaware of this and that is unfortunate given that you bought the game, you could probably have worked out that it wasn't your cup of tea from the free trial.

I urge anybody reading this before trying the game to download the free trial and decide for yourself whether or not it is the kind of story you will enjoy. If you already know you dislike Noir detective stories then maybe still try anyway but with an open mind. It is more of a fun, tongue-in-cheek take on the genre. I personally think it's light hearted and fun.

Damiana2
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Damiana2 on Jul 13, 12 9:59 AM
I loved tough talking Petra. It's good to have a strong female character who looks at everything with skepticism. This is especially true for a character living in an oppressive, corrupt regime.

If you like your characters sweet and upbeat, detective then detective noir style is not the style for you.

[Post New]by 186FleetStreet on Oct 8, 12 6:31 PM
Yaelle wrote:Are you serious?! Have you never heard of sarcasm or irony or wryness?! This game was AMAZING! It sounds like you dont understand this type of film noir attitiude and dry sort of detective storyline.
LOVED this game!

EXACTLY! She's supposed to be like one of those hard-nosed film noir detectives.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Aug 7, 13 8:28 PM
Just finished the game and totally loved it. I am disappointed that it's over, especially since I know there is little chance that we will get a sequel since Playfirst has stopped making PC games and now seems to be focused on only making Dash games for mobile devices.

I especially loved that this game had strong female characters and that the noir detective was female, since film noir detectives are usually male. I love movies from the '30s and '40s and wish there were more games that had this kind of theme. The original poster here who is complaining about the negativity in the game doesn't seem to get the film noir genre. People who love those kinds of films, and like a game that has an edge, will enjoy this.

One down side though is that there is a lot of talking in the game. Some people don't like that in a game, and I have to admit that it did take me a little while to get used to the talking. You can skip it, but then you will miss out on gaining essential information. Once I got used to the talking, I really enjoyed the game, but some people still might not like it.

Go to: