Meganthedog
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

Cheshire

[Post New]by Meganthedog on Aug 19, 16 2:35 PM
I'm really enjoying this game but something is irritating me. The county in which I was born and bred is pronounced Chesh-er and not Chesh-hire.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

Re:Cheshire

[Post New]by tookat on Aug 20, 16 9:46 PM
ah Megan, please be patient with we non-Englaise (probably spelled wrong, and maddening the French speakers).....
sigh....and laughter.
I remember when I was a naïve 16 and on my first ever school trip.....to London for five miraculous days! Being an independent sort, I headed out to see something of London while everyone else took post flight naps......and I got quite lost, so I asked a Bobby to point me in the direction of Lie (with a long I)-Chestter-Shire square. He gave me a vague look (probably wondering who let this baby in a bright purple snow jacket wander by herself in London) and said something incomprehensible to me.....and I answered that No, I wanted to go to Lie-Chester-Shire Square. and the perplexed Bobby asked me if I could point it out on the map....and thank heavens, I could......and he said oh you are wanting Lester Square ever so proudly.
I was near tears when he kindly said, Most of the letters are not pronounced Miss....But, I promise if you go down this block five traffic lights and turn left and go two more, you will find yourself at Lester Square and find it is spelled as you are trying to mispronounce.

I was so embarrassed and had to keep asking for the rest of the trip how something was pronounced, and had a little sheet of crib notes to use.

BUT, it was how I learned not to mispronounce War-Chester-Shire Sauce and to say Woostershur Sauce, which is also probably wrong....
but, you see....I am a 'murican......and we cannot pronounce anything without garbling and shortening it.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Aug 20, 16 9:49 PM
To give you an idea, I live near a town spelled somewhat as the Italians do Milan.
but have learned to call it My-Land as the residents do.

Meganthedog
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Meganthedog on Aug 21, 16 1:09 PM
Oh Tookat, what a wonderful story! I really did laugh out loud. I've now moved from Cheshire to a small village in North Wales called Cefn y Bedd. Give that one a go!

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Aug 21, 16 4:21 PM
nuh-uh!
Laughing riotously.....Oh Megan....I find most Welsh, Irish and Scot words and names to incomprehensible tongue twisters.

Go to: