Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Shadowplay: Darkness Incarnate Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 20, 16 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/24/2016 at 10:57:59 AM PST

charlene_lane
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

YEE HAA

[Post New]by charlene_lane on Aug 20, 16 12:48 AM
I've been waiting so long for this game to come and I slam dunked the buy button as soon as it came out. Downloading now. Can't wait to play. Its going to be an all nighter (7.45pm here now). I love these types of games and I love Mad Head, so win-win all round.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

Re:Please post youe REVIEWS for Shadowplay: Darkness Incarnate Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by rainworm on Aug 20, 16 2:54 AM
YEE-HAA !!!!! Couldn't phrase it better!

Great game. My only problem is a second CE for the BOGO today - critics on a very high level.

amazemen
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

Re:Please post youe REVIEWS for Shadowplay: Darkness Incarnate Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by amazemen on Aug 20, 16 3:30 AM
I am impressed by the intro to the game. I just purchased this game. Better than what is normally provided on this site. As others have said - a winner.

Edited on 08/20/2016 at 3:32:36 AM PST

2cats4u
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by 2cats4u on Aug 20, 16 6:51 AM
Can't believe how much I'm lovin' this Game! WAY BEYOND what I;ve seen in a long time. My only complaint is the trail run was short 15 mins. Doesn't really matter, just got to buy the game soon. Great HOP!! so nice to see something new and imaginative. If you don't this you're missing out!!

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Aug 20, 16 8:29 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Shadowplay: Darkness Incarnate Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Shadowplay: Darkness Incarnate Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Aug 20, 16 9:02 AM
Some excellent puzzles and creative Hidden-Objects scenes marred by yet another story of demon possession and an extremely short game.

Edited on 08/20/2016 at 9:04:34 AM PST

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by greenshade on Aug 20, 16 10:22 AM
MarkAlan wrote:Some excellent puzzles and creative Hidden-Objects scenes marred by yet another story of demon possession and an extremely short game.

Was disappointed I was able to stay IN the asylum for the whole game. After the demo it quickly became just another HOPA.. with the usual gratuitous "fight the monster". Super short. disappointed because I was looking SO forward to this game after playing the demo.

stusue
Clownfish
Clownfish
597 Posts

[Post New]by stusue on Aug 20, 16 12:47 PM

Woo hoo! A game from Mad Head Games!

Ooh, dark and eerie!

With atmospheric music!

And fantastic graphics with the most amazing animation - no blurriness or pixelation - and the animated-to-interactive scene change is flawless!

Ooh, the extras look good!

Oh, cool, the Custom mode is named just like the other three!

What?! I can't turn off contextual icons?!?!

And with no touch support that's super important!

Oh, no! There's no option to turn off helpful messages!

Well at least I can turn off the plus item indicators!

Hey, what? The plus items are still indicated! Just not showing when you can interact with them isn't quite the same as not having any indicators!

Okay, I'll see how I go ... the graphics and animation are really, really good ... and the music really helps set the scene ... mmm ... HOPs and MGs aren't very challenging but that sliding HOP sure was different and fun! Ooh, I like the split screens and the storyline ... and I love collectibles but these ones are a bit big and easy to see ... and there are morphs! Pity they're only in the HOPs but you can find them in Extras when you replay all the HOPs for an achievement, which is always good as I always forget to look for them when I get carried away with a game ...

but I have to use the mouse and all those icons show me where I have to click and where all the interactions are in the HOPs and there's nothing extra to click on in the scenes and I don't want all those helpful messages telling me what's what (although they aren't too bad) and why does every object I can interact with in the inventory have a great big circle underneath it when I turned off plus item indicators?

What a pity! I loved the storyline and the atmosphere and the graphics and animation and music and some of the HOPs and MGs were fun and one HOP was really original. But I like playing with no help. So, no matter how much I want to find out where the story's heading, no matter that there's a 2for1 sale, and no matter how impeccable the quality of the game is, it's a no for me as there are no options to turn off all the help and playing the demo was enough for me.

But if these things don't matter to you it's definitely worth a demo, as the quality of the game (at least the demo) is, imho, fantastic.

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Aug 20, 16 1:05 PM
I haven't bought a CE in a verrrrry long time because they're all so similar, and I don't like "magical" games". I want something I can really sink my teeth into so I can think and problem solve. I actually was hopeful with this one; Mad Head is an accomplished developer--IMO. It started out great, then, the lantern. Why, oh, why do we have to have a "magical gadget" ?????????? So I'll continue to replay my adventure games until something more substantial comes along. (True Fear where are you)?

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 20, 16 3:01 PM
Hi all! The graphics in this one are done very well, with nice smooth movements. Colors are somewhat blue/gray, but you are in an asylum, so I doubt there would be much color. Hopefully it brightens up when they get out of the asylum. Game play was good, no problems during the demo and the scenes fit my large screen quite well. Music does get rather monotonous very quickly, so I tuned it down. There isn't a lot of character interaction, so not much dialog. What there is, is done quite well. Not much in the way of sound FX either, but you do get a jolt of sound when something happens.

HOPs are clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. Not many HOPs, I think I only ran across two during the demo. I see that there are morphing items in the HOPs, but I didn't know that at the time, and didn't accidentally find any either. Puzzles are very simple and nothing new. I did like the interesting and clever use of items you find within the game, e.g. use a sticker to fix a cord instead of finding a roll of tape. Nicely done. There is no transport feature, which would have been nice. You do a lot of back-tracking in this game. Did not care for the generic jump map, but it works.

The only collectibles I found are very large eyes, cartoon type, not real. This was disappointing for me, as I do like to search for the extras. These eyes were just too easy to spot.

There really wasn't a lot of challenge to this game, and it was pretty quiet as far as interactions were concerned. The story was interesting, although nothing new. I just don't see that this game is CE worthy. The demo was much too short to really get a feel for the game. No buy for me, but I will put this one in my puddle and wait for the SE. I often find that when a CE doesn't grab me, the SE does and makes a better game.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Aug 20, 16 5:09 PM
This is a nice change of pace from the 'fairy-tale' and 'magic portal' games we have had lately, even with the gadget that is used and the storyline of fighting the evil shadow. I liked the puzzles, especially the one where the sliders were used to puts the anatomical parts together, and HOP scenes. Graphics and voiceovers were well done. I guess the biggest issue with me is finding a second CE that has a similar atmosphere.

Foxy57
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by Foxy57 on Aug 20, 16 7:27 PM
MarkAlan wrote:Some excellent puzzles and creative Hidden-Objects scenes marred by yet another story of demon possession and an extremely short game.

Could not have said it better myself, plus some HO and puzzle are repetitive. Very disapointed

Edited on 08/20/2016 at 7:30:35 PM PST

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Aug 21, 16 9:48 AM
nightkat1 wrote:I haven't bought a CE in a verrrrry long time because they're all so similar, and I don't like "magical" games". I want something I can really sink my teeth into so I can think and problem solve. I actually was hopeful with this one; Mad Head is an accomplished developer--IMO. It started out great, then, the lantern. Why, oh, why do we have to have a "magical gadget" ?????????? So I'll continue to replay my adventure games until something more substantial comes along. (True Fear where are you)?

I agree with you!

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Aug 21, 16 1:27 PM
Based on demo: 44 mins with no skips or hints

The entire setting – music, graphics, no lengthy dialogues, VOs, etc - was very well done to create a superb feeling of suspense and horror without going overboard. All tasks felt intuitive, so, I rarely used the travel map. I also liked how it indicated if the collectible had been found or not. This helps as I tend to play over a few days.

However, there was too much focus on it being more like a movie than a real game. Other than the innovative slider-type HOP, I didn’t find anything new or challenging. This may change post-demo…..or so I hope as these Devs. always produce good to great games.

For most demos, I usually need 70-80+ mins to finish w/o skips or hints. Looks as if game length here is on the shorter side? So, I’ll get it as a SE.

[Post New]by will97 on Aug 21, 16 2:24 PM
stuck on level one with bird town. please help;

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Aug 21, 16 5:08 PM
To stuck on level one with bird town: gonna need a little more info.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Aug 21, 16 11:16 PM
I have to solidly agree with Stusue; visuals are great as always, very immersive. But the game play is nowhere to be found. The HOS are uninspired and the mini-games are the SAME as their previous releases. Yes, exactly the same. And I bought this one, played it through, hoping for more, yet nada. There is some kinda fun CE stuff, but IMHO does not make this one worth the price. I do not recommend this one; if you've played any of their other releases, then you have played this one.
And since someone will probably tag me as reviewing the developer (which I'm not) I hope this reaches some fellow fishies before I'm removed...

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Aug 22, 16 6:24 AM
This game just got better and better the further you played into it! Wish we had more this good!! Thanks Mad Head!! It's my third day of game play and still not finished!!!

OnBreak
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by OnBreak on Aug 22, 16 10:46 AM
I am loving this game, the uniqueness of some of the HOS and a variety of puzzles keep me interested. And the story line is fresh. ind of violent, but hey, its only pretend. I am so glad i bought this. Give it a try

Go to: