mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

Access Violation

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Mar 10, 10 2:23 AM
I have tried 4 times to install this game and I am unable to get the game to open at all. I just had my system updated with new RAM (4GB total) and a new video card with 1GB memory. I have the latest video drivers installed, the latest DirectX for XP (9.0c), and updated/repaired my C++ but I get the following error every time I try to open this game:

Access Violation at 0x02D7AB04 (tried to read from 0X00FF4000), Program terminated.

I am attaching the Dr. Felix file from the latest attempt to install this game. I am not having any issues with any other programs or games. I play single files games from BFG as well as MMO's and everything seems to be running fine. Any insight would be appreciated.

Dude_E
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

Access Violation

[Post New]by Dude_E on Mar 10, 10 6:45 AM
mintjulelip wrote:I have tried 4 times to install this game and I am unable to get the game to open at all. I just had my system updated with new RAM (4GB total) and a new video card with 1GB memory. I have the latest video drivers installed, the latest DirectX for XP (9.0c), and updated/repaired my C++ but I get the following error every time I try to open this game:

Access Violation at 0x02D7AB04 (tried to read from 0X00FF4000), Program terminated.

I am attaching the Dr. Felix file from the latest attempt to install this game. I am not having any issues with any other programs or games. I play single files games from BFG as well as MMO's and everything seems to be running fine. Any insight would be appreciated.

I've already had this kind of error and I found a solution : use the "Compatibility mode" and try an other Windows

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

Access Violation

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Mar 11, 10 1:39 AM
Dude_E wrote:
mintjulelip wrote:I have tried 4 times to install this game and I am unable to get the game to open at all. I just had my system updated with new RAM (4GB total) and a new video card with 1GB memory. I have the latest video drivers installed, the latest DirectX for XP (9.0c), and updated/repaired my C++ but I get the following error every time I try to open this game:

I've already had this kind of error and I found a solution : use the "Compatibility mode" and try an other Windows

Dude, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I cannot get the game to open at all. As soon as I try to open it, I get the access violation. If this something I can do in Windows XP prior to opening the game? Or do you mean a different version of Windows such as Vista or WIN7?

Thanks!

Edited on 03/11/2010 at 1:41:51 AM PST

jampony
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

Re:Access Violation

[Post New]by jampony on Mar 13, 10 2:51 PM
I have three games now (this one, Mishaps: An Accidental Haunting and The Tarot's Misfortune) that I can't play due to access violations. In Eden's Quest, the second address in the error is the same as mintjulelip's. I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps (updating divers, disabling antivirus, etc.) but bfg tech support wasn't able to help. They were great about it, of course, but just said some games aren't compatible with some computers.

I'm still trying to find a way to play these games so if anyone else has any info or ideas about access violations, please feel free to share them. I'm really curious what dude_e meant about compatibility mode and trying another windows (a different version maybe?).

Any help would be appreciated.

MrLipid
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by MrLipid on Mar 14, 10 11:24 AM
Compatibility mode means Windows is going to pretend that it is another version of Windows on a program by program basis.

For example, Windows XP can pretend to be 95, 98/Me, NT 4.0 w/SP5, and 2000.

Here's what you do.

Go to the Folder of the program you want to experiment with. Let's say it's 1912 - Titanic Mystery.

All you have to do right click on the executable (Titanic.exe), select Properties, then select Compatibility. Choose which Windows you want from the dropdown menu, click Apply, close the Properties menu, launch the game and see what happens.

I don't know how the system works for Vista or 7, but I suspect it is similar.

Good luck!

[Post New]by snuffaluffakus on Mar 13, 11 7:48 PM
I tried the compatibility thing and it did not work. I am getting access violation codes for this game and terrafarmers. Very frustrating

Go to: