bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 11, 10 1:12 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfg Flounder

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by b00kworm on Mar 11, 10 1:39 AM
I downloaded the game (without any problems, I'd like to add) and fell in love with it on the loading screen.

The game is as dark as I like them (I'm not that far in right now, just reached chapter 2 and bought it), wonderful scenes and interesting twist (the briar hedge coming back centuries after it should have disappeared).

In fact, I've waited for a dark game based on the Grimm fairy tales. They're quite dark themselves (the original stories, not what animated movies have often made of them) and, of course, known to lots and lots of people.

Can't say much about the additional content so far, as you have to play the additional quest to unlock them and have to finish the game to unlock the additional quest.

Still, one big thing is the fact that you can access the strategy guide without going back to the main menue. (Just as in the last hidden objects CE.)

Somehow I can't pass any of the CEs by... They're exactly my taste.

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Mar 11, 10 1:55 AM
No problem with download. Game is dark but most objects are readily found. Graphics are very nice, a tiny bit grainy but could be me. Puzzles are plenty and so far have not been difficult. 12 chapters and seems like a lot to accompolish in each. Length should be good. Very comprehensive strategy guide. Nice voice overs and music. No timer and does not appear to have over click penalties. Hints recharge quickly though a puzzle skip adds a 5 min delay on hint recharge. So far a very good game. A buy here.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Mar 11, 10 2:04 AM
Will play the demo and will defo buy. I haven`t found the graphics grainy nor the screen particularly dark. The music is good. Looks a really good game.

[Post New]by BabsInScotland on Mar 11, 10 2:06 AM
I bought this game after finishing the demo. Its exactly my type of game and have been waiting well over a week or so. Until today I have been buying with my coupon codes silly ****'s as I have been an addict of this genre since way bavk after playing hidden quest Titanic. I also like the idea that some days BF have a couple of games for people to download catering for other people's tastes.

[Post New]by leonardona on Mar 11, 10 2:22 AM
Pretty much same comments as others. Good story line--can't wait so am going to buy now. Is there a support group for game addicts? lol There is a penalty for clicking too much which I found in frustration--just went clicking away! No problems DL and no glitches so far. I'm in Chapter 2. Lot of interaction and back and forth to previous scenes which I love. **** are relatively easy to find. Sometimes I think it is better to DL late at night when the internet isn't so busy. It's 2:20 a.m. here in Ca. OK off to buy. lol

mothermayhem
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by mothermayhem on Mar 11, 10 2:32 AM
Now I am late for work. Checked out the demo and got so caught up lost track of time. I love this kind of game. Graphics are good, music not annoying, pretty much what everyone else has said. Thanks BFG! Oh yeah! Just purchased!

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Mar 11, 10 3:12 AM
Played the demo for 35 minutes now - obviously had no problems downloading. Finally a game that

- has voices
- got character animations (at least within the game)
- has fragmented objects (has there been a game since Flux last year?)

Storyline looks good so far, mostly clear what to do - for now I have just a feeling that there is too much to do with too few objects that I'm getting, but Dire Grove started out that way too. At least I know where to use stuff...

Some points:

- Some fragments are hard to see. Might be dark scenes, could be that they are too small.
- You only get one object from all the fragments - Flux had more in one scene.
- Cursed objects: Are they kind of morphing or is it totally random to find them all?
- CE features: Could not find the bonus stories?

Bottom Line: Will consider buying the CE.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Mar 11, 10 3:32 AM
Very nice game! it has beautiful graphics and good interactive play with unique minis. Some items are very small but even with my visual challenge, I was able to find so many items that I cannot say how fast the Hints refresh. I think there is virtually no wait. You will have to wait 5 min. for the next Hint if you skip a mini.

I'd like to have this game but hate to pay the CE price. Normally that would not bother me too much but I have spent a small fortune at Faunasphere lately and purchased about 8 games here last month. Too bad I can't apply my one credit and my FREE game coupon toward the purchase.

unitedred7
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by unitedred7 on Mar 11, 10 3:35 AM
Just downloaded no problems enjoying the game, great graphics, will wait a while until I decide to buy CE want to make sure there are no technical issues with it.

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Mar 11, 10 3:42 AM
This is a fantastic game!! I'm loving it and had to buy collectors edition after waiting what felt like forever to get a good game.
I like the finding the pieces rather than working off a list - like Magic Encyclopedia which I also loved.
There is a fair amount of to-ing and fro-ing that some may not like but this game has an added 'inspect' feature that tells you where you need to go for another hidden object scene.
Am about half way and looking forward to getting back into it tomorrow!

dogfish12
Stingray
Stingray
4,579 Posts

[Post New]by dogfish12 on Mar 11, 10 3:43 AM
This one is a keeper!

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Mar 11, 10 3:49 AM
Sounds good, any indication on game length?

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Mar 11, 10 3:54 AM
I'm so happy to read all the favorable reviews, I've been jonesing for a good HOG/Adventure game for two weeks now, I'm buying this as soon as I get home from work today so I can have all evening to play. Yippee!

[Post New]by Coronagold on Mar 11, 10 4:21 AM
The reason they came out with a $20 CE HOG is because we've been jonesing for a decent game for 2 weeks now. Drug pushers, pimps and politicians use the same method.

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Mar 11, 10 4:50 AM
I have just reached Chapter 7 so half way mark and played for about 3 hours- I have not had to use the strategy guide- the game is straight forward- going back and forward you will always find new areas and the Inspect button is enough of a hint if stuck.

This is a nice game.

Just a note on the morphing objects- when you find them they recharge your hints but I don't think I have ever happened to come across one when my hints need recharging. I notice if you skip puzzles it says it dsables your hints for 5 minutes so maybe the thing is to note where the morphing ones are and go there if you have used a skip to recharge quickly.

The puzzles have all been great so far

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 11, 10 5:10 AM
Coronagold wrote:The reason they came out with a $20 CE HOG is because we've been jonesing for a decent game for 2 weeks now. Drug pushers, pimps and politicians use the same method.

Ahhhhh.. more like 21 days today..& I can't even get this to load ..so maybe 22 days before they get it fixed ..But I agree with you , ...We are like Piranas in a fish bowl.

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Mar 11, 10 5:26 AM
I'm curious as to who ultimately developed (and by that I mean actually created) this? Is it Darkling Room? Is that stated anywhere when you open the game?

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Mar 11, 10 5:43 AM
juliamadeane wrote:I'm curious as to who ultimately developed (and by that I mean actually created) this? Is it Darkling Room? Is that stated anywhere when you open the game?

Blue Tea rooms I believe.

-govegril

kayjay97
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by kayjay97 on Mar 11, 10 5:45 AM
Excellent game and story line. Good hint system. I had no tech issues nor problems downloading

In an hour I got to level 5 so sadly, I am going to pass on the CE Edition as I can not justify the cost. I didn't need to use the strategy guide and only used the hints a couple of times

I was really hoping they would have released the Treasure Seekers regular game before another CE game

Go to: