Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: Crimson Hollow Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 25, 16 12:39 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/25/2016 at 8:04:29 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: Crimson Hollow Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Aug 25, 16 4:08 AM
Oh good, another HOG, just for a change.....oh yeah. I didn't like this one, either. Just the same as all the others.

cabanaeast18
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: Crimson Hollow Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by cabanaeast18 on Aug 25, 16 7:10 AM
Lackluster, period.

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Aug 25, 16 7:23 AM
Game was slow and boring. Way too much busy work! No buy here!

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Aug 25, 16 8:04 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Grim Tales: Crimson Hollow Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Grim Tales: Crimson Hollow Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

[Post New]by MamaSplicky on Aug 25, 16 8:49 AM
Can anyone who has played the game tell me what kind of HOPs are in it. (Listed, silhouetted, #of objects, etc.) I'd also like to know how many HOPs are in the game.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Aug 25, 16 9:23 AM
MamaSplicky wrote:Can anyone who has played the game tell me what kind of HOPs are in it. (Listed, silhouetted, #of objects, etc.) I'd also like to know how many HOPs are in the game.

Read the game review on the game page, it will be listed there.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Aug 25, 16 10:09 AM
One question: Is this still a REVIEW thread?

I don't find any here, the only one is the front page review, which I think is informative and gives insight in features you will find in the game.

Some time ago I played the beta and was positively impressed. Will demo !

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 25, 16 11:23 AM
Did a beta and was not impressed, but I thought perhaps with the addition of the SG, it might be better. Not if I have to go to the menu to access it. Perhaps I'm missing it somewhere? At any rate, it's slow moving, I don't care for the puzzles I've seen so far, and because I've been unable to play 4 of the last 5 games in the series, I'm totally and completely confused about the story line. She was old, now she's young? I get the feeling the previous games need to be played to understand this one.

It's a disappointment, because I did so enjoy the first three games in the series and have played them each two or three times. The fourth and fifth were OK, but this one, I'm afraid, although it's working just fine, is a no go. And the music so far, is enough to put me to sleep!

Perhaps I'll change my mind when the SE comes out, if I have coupons.

campfire29
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by campfire29 on Aug 25, 16 11:37 AM
ElizabethR1533 wrote:Oh good, another HOG, just for a change.....oh yeah. I didn't like this one, either. Just the same as all the others.
I really wish all you HOG haters would keep your hateful comments to yourself and just give us reviews!

Linochka
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Linochka on Aug 25, 16 12:38 PM
campfire29 wrote:
ElizabethR1533 wrote:Oh good, another HOG, just for a change.....oh yeah. I didn't like this one, either. Just the same as all the others.
I really wish all you HOG haters would keep your hateful comments to yourself and just give us reviews!

o.k. This is a review(I hope)
Game was playing just fine on Windows 10 . Colors is o.k.,voice over is not bad ,animation look almost real ,BUT, it's boring and the question left after demo is "WHY"? It is confusing and does not looks like it can be played without all the rest . Just for reference , I am the one who usually love this kind of games. Just not 3 or 4 last ones Sad,but this one on this list too

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 25, 16 4:10 PM
Hi all! Well, unless my count is off, this is #11 in this series. Yep, got them all, liked them all. The graphics in this game are excellent, as is the animation. Game play was also quite good, no problems during demo and the scenes fit my large screen. At first, the colors seemed a bit blue, but did clear up and become quite nice and true. Voice overs are well done and are age and character appropriate. They show fear, anxiety, spooky and a bit sinister. We do have a helper in the way of Dad's skull. He speaks quite slowly, being a ghost, but you can click through the written dialog without missing any of the story or helpful hints and items. Music got a bit monotonous, but was okay. Sound FX are well done.

HOPs are a combination of lists, silhouettes and morphing objects. They are clear and items are not difficult to find. I found some of the puzzles to be a bit challenging and they did take some time and thought for a change. The only puzzle I didn't care for is the tracing...ick. Hint system is very helpful and it does transport you to longer locations. This is a big time saver and less clicking around.

Collectibles are nicely done as well. We need to find morphing objects, puzzle pieces and portraits. None of these jump off the page at you, but aren't difficult to find either. You just have to remember to look for them, especially the portraits, since there are pictures everywhere.

This game is a new take on an old story and is well done. During the game you switch between the present and the past, so you don't get bored looking at the same scenery. Really liked this feature. After the opening scene, I expected it to be a bit bloody, but it wasn't. Of course, that could change as the game progresses. I rarely give a game 5 stars, but this one came close for me at 4.75. It wasn't perfect, but I did enjoy the story and the collectibles. I think all levels of players will find this one somewhat challenging. Yes, I am going to add this game to my ever growing collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

ediegamer
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by ediegamer on Aug 25, 16 4:52 PM
I have made several complaints regarding "sparkles" especially when playing in custom mode where I deleted the sparkle option. It seems like this dev. and only this dev. insists on leaving the sparkles in even if they've been deleted when custom mode is selected. Why bother to offer a custom setting if you can't customize it properly? I'm really getting tired of complaining and am getting turned off by Elephant Games. Do they even read these comments? Apparently not!!!

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

I Never Thought I'd Miss My Constant Family Drama, But Here I Am!

[Post New]by Beingknown on Aug 25, 16 6:18 PM
GREETINGS FELLOW FISHIES!

I am taking a quick dip into the pond today to share my thoughts and feelings about Grim Tales: Crimson Hollow CE, which I had the pleasure of playing in its Beta release. I also own and have enjoyed the previous seven Grim Tales games in this series.

This entertaining game is replete with wonderfully creepy details like flies dropping down onto the murder scene and bats flying out from under door frames. We travel through time as detective Anna Gray whose opening line is, “I never thought I’d miss my constant family drama, but here I am.” Frankly, with that line they had me!

I love the original, interesting and sometimes challenging puzzles and mini-games we encounter during the investigation of our paranormal family’s murder mysteries. Of special pleasure for me personally, is the fact that several of these mini-games allowed me to happily utilize some of my oft neglected brain cells. Being challenged to actually think during game play deepens the satisfaction of winning the game.

The HOPs are well done and sometimes contain collectibles and/or morphs, so be on guard before finishing them that you haven’t left behind any little “extras.”

The graphics, while well done, would have been more aesthetically pleasing had they been better defined, with deeper color saturation across a wider color spectrum. That said, the monochromatic hues were consistent with the game’s theme.

The soundtrack was interesting and appropriate and the sound effects were entertaining. The story line was interesting and spookily engaging.

Overall, a delightful game for those of you who are not faint of heart.

HAPPY GAMING! ~B!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 26, 16 6:14 AM
The last one of these Grim Tales I actually bought was 'Bloody Mary' and from what I played of 'Crimson Hollow', a knowledge of the previous games in the series seems to be a must. I had no idea what anyone was talking about or for that matter, who they were. But surely 'Aunt Gray' would have been a lot older by now, unless of course this game has sent her back in time; I didn't get far enough to find out.

My biggest beef with Elephant Games is their apparent lack of understanding as to what constitutes 'no sparkles'. I turn off the 'active areas' sparkles but every close-up is lit up like a Christmas tree; all the things you can pick up are sparkling away like a jewellery shop window on a wintry day. I think I can work out what I need without having it shoved in my face, thank you.

Then there's the 'this is obviously a trap' moment. Creepy man opens a door and says "after you". It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out that you never go into a room first. And who leaves their computer password on a piece of paper stuck on a cupboard door? She is supposed to be a detective; remind me never to ask her to solve even a crossword puzzle.

At this point I gave up with this game. It wasn't anything special anyway but might have been worth it in the weekend sale. Unfortunately I won't be returning to Crimson Hollow any time soon; a cross between 'Sleepy Hollow' and 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' (or Black in this case) that left me totally cold. And did we really need to see someone's head being cut off?? Ghost or not, it was a very unpleasant image.

No technical issues with the demo but I only played 34 minutes. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 09/23/2016 at 7:32:14 AM PST

cherleadford
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by cherleadford on Aug 26, 16 9:07 AM
I agree with you angelfish106. Some things were just plain stupid. The game for me was slow and boring. Plus I am just not into the blood and murder Grim tales portrays. There is so much of it in real life especially family killings. I just do not want my time and money used up by playing this type of game.
The graphics were fine, voice overs kind of good. I do enjoy morphing objects and collectables. Others I am sure will like the game and I do encourage them to play the demo.
For me it is a no buy.

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Aug 28, 16 8:02 AM
I have all the other Grim Tales games and loved them all but this one is disappointing.
I have only played about half an hour and am already confused.
For one, WHAT era are we in.
The car is modern, the heroine has a computer etc, but the headmistress from the school is dressed in an outfit from the 1800's...
Will plug on, hoping that it gets better.

Edited on 08/28/2016 at 8:03:15 AM PST

casuziq
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by casuziq on Sep 3, 16 2:32 PM
Boring, dull, confusing and lackluster game. Way too much here to there without any idea how or why... So sorry I wasted my $ on this game.

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on Oct 2, 16 10:39 PM
I actually liked this game better than many others in the series. A little background - you probably don't have to have played every game, but if you haven't, you need to be aware of some developments which have crept in, especially in the game immediately before this. Richard, who is the father of Anna and Luisa (original spelling), and who was killed off in the first game, is back in the last game and this one as a ghost. The Grays have a family trait of the ability to travel through time, which Anna has used in several games, but it is Richard who really taught her how to use it, in the last game. Also, Richard has (even as a ghost) the ability to make people (and ghosts, or at least himself) younger physically, while retaining all their memories (probably a refinement of the time travel trait), so Anna, who is a great-aunt or maybe even a great-great-aunt doesn't look it. This seems to be common in magical families like the Grays, the Blacks, and probably the Darkwoods. If you can get over it, it will all make more sense.

I bought and played the standard edition because I detest collectibles and no longer need the strategy guide as long as there is a decent hint system or a map with task information, and this game has both. I play for the story. I do enjoy the HOPs, which got me interested in this type of game in the first place. BTW that SE has IIRC two HOPs with morphing objects - I like them in HOPs, just not as extras.

I liked the story, including the snarky dialogue between Richard and Dorian (sounded like male bonding to me, though how much more they have to bond when both are over a hundred - oops, sorry, Dorian didn't mean to mention that!)

Of course it is not for everyone. No game could possibly be for everyone. But it is for me. If you also like to play for the stories and the characters, at least play the trial.

Go to: