bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Architect: Episode 1

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 12, 10 1:58 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Architect: Episode 1? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 03/12/2010 at 1:58:21 AM PST

AriadneSP
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Architect: Episode 1

[Post New]by AriadneSP on Mar 12, 10 3:12 AM
another game, that would have really benefitted from someone who has English as a primary language to proofread the game.

Two of the tutorial levels were swapped around (the "cinema" and one other) - where the talk about how to do it was not for the level which was then played.

And WHERE is "town" a higher population than "city" ?

Really not taken with this at all. 10 tutorial levels, and the first 5 levels of the game to "town" (best!) level in 20 minutes.

it's not a building game, just a case of deciding where best to place things. No time management involved.

Definitely not on my buy list, I'm afraid.

Saturn1985
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by Saturn1985 on Mar 12, 10 4:12 AM
It is definitely a puzzle game, bought it some weeks ago at another site. The language is really annoying at times, and the explanations could be more detailed.

Nevertheless I found the game really interesting, because it is something different, and you have to think a lot to find the best solution. Hopefully there will be a sequel that will be improved in some parts.

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Mar 12, 10 5:49 AM
I agree it is a puzzle/strategy game. It appears to be a building game but really is more about the placement of the buildings to meet a target population. The graphics are very good.

I also agree the explanations could be more detailed.

Ticking
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Ticking on Mar 12, 10 9:33 AM
I found the demo quite enjoyable but I think it would probably get boring for me as it is (as said above) more of a puzzle than building game and I can only take so much puzzleing.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Mar 12, 10 10:53 AM
I hate to write something negative about a game yet again, but "Architect" definitely is not to my taste. As mentioned before, the game basically is about deciding where buildings should go to get maximum population. There are different types of buildings who have different effects on population. Some buildings can be built anywhere, some can only be built near a street or not near a street. You have a limited amount of each building type and need to decide where to place each building. I'm sure this appeals to some gamers, it definitely is different. But it doesn't appeal to me at all, I found it repetitive and boring. First, I thought it would just be the tutorials who had this "place buildings to get x population" and that in later levels, one would see the town progress and would have to make decisions. But then I realized - it wasn't just the tutorials. This was the whole game concept. So I stopped playing in the middle of a level after about 20 minutes of total game play because I was so incredibly bored.

Edited on 03/12/2010 at 10:54:26 AM PST

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Mar 12, 10 11:03 AM
I've played about 15 minutes of this game and it definitely requires a lot of thinking which I really don't want to do right now. However, I'll try it again at a later date. Govegirl is right- it's a strategy game.

[Post New]by Kelhotmamabelle on Mar 12, 10 11:49 AM
I can't play the game. I keep getting an error on the 5th tutorial and the program shuts down. I played for a bit but wasn't thrilled so I don't think it is even worth trying to reinstall.

Lazeedragon
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by Lazeedragon on Mar 12, 10 11:57 AM
i bought the game at another place and i love it sorry for those who r having issues make sure compatibility is set may help. i have save pics of best and top scores as soon as i get my corel installed again i will post it. is really a fun game u can take all the time u want to maximize ur score and replay them as well ^^
good luck to every1 also make sure ur pc is updated as well

ritchieprod
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by ritchieprod on Mar 12, 10 1:51 PM
Wow! This is not a great game. It was evidently written in another language and translated very badly. Lots of typos, syntax errors and very strange wording. I quit during the tutorial. There was no good way to even go back to the menu. This wasn't even good enough to play for the free trial period.

SpookyPigdog
Herring
Herring
306 Posts

[Post New]by SpookyPigdog on Mar 12, 10 9:06 PM
There is no blasted help in this game, so when you get stuck, what the heck are you supposed to do???? I'm stuck about 10 minutes in - two car parks and a park to place. It doesn't matter how I arrange them, I can only get 78 out of 79 people. No hint, no skips, no nothing!!!

This sucks!!!

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Mar 12, 10 10:37 PM
Spooky

I understand your frustration .. I got to level 14 and the best I can do is 484 and need 520 to go to next level. I have moved and moved everything around .... I even stopped, went to dinner with family and then came back. Still can not get any more people. Without any help I guess this is a game that will go in to my "Junk Games" file on my desk top. I truly feel what a waste of my dollars. Bummmmmmmmer.

Edit

I like puzzles and this is a good one. I played other games and came back to Architect today, starting over. I completed the game and enjoyed it. This is a game I will play again on a day when I want a no brainer ... just relaxing afternoon, or late night. Will not put Architect Episode 1 in my Junk File after all ... Like that.

At this time I am going to give this game a Seattle one thumb up.

Edited on 03/15/2010 at 1:47:48 PM PST

Nijn
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by Nijn on Mar 13, 10 4:31 AM
Hi!
I actually loved this game. But i also li´ke puzzlegames, and that is this one definitely. The only minus is, that there are so few levels. There's only 35 and I finished the game in a couple of hours. Than replayed it in advanced mode, but that didn't that much longer. So in that way it's maybe a waste of money - but the game itsself is fun.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Mar 13, 10 7:26 AM
This game is BAD, BAD, BAD. I played 5 minutes and it's so boring and no direction whatsoever. I uninstalled it.

[Post New]by suzieque117 on Mar 13, 10 7:45 AM
I tried the demo for this game and actually enjoyed it. It's a nice change to have something other than HOG and Time Management games. I was starting to get bored with the games being offered as everything has been the same lately.

adolia
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by adolia on Mar 13, 10 8:16 AM
Very disappointing. I saw the word "architect" and got excited, hoping there was a little more building involved but instead it is another game of BAL, and not a very good one either.

Come on game designers, give us something where we can use some imagination and creativity!

[Post New]by SimpleAbundance on Mar 13, 10 8:29 AM
Anyone who says this game is like Build-A-Lot probably didn't actually play it. The only thing it has in common with Build-A-Lot is the fact that you're placing houses and the things surrounding them in such a way to gain points.

Build A Lot has way more going on (time, money, various specific goals such as max.ing rent, appeal, certain types of buildings, etc.)

As most people have stated, this is a puzzle game, not a building game. I think it's a fun concept, but like some other Fishies, I feel like I need to be in a certain mood to enjoy a puzzle game, lots of concentrated thought involved once you get past the beginning levels. I only played about half of the trial, and will keep the other half on my computer for a little challenge when I'm in the puzzling mood. But I personally wouldn't use a credit on it.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Mar 13, 10 8:59 AM
Definitely a puzzle game but I enjoyed it. It was just too darn short. I finished the game in a little over an hour.

I also found the bad English annoying. If you're going to do a game in English then pay someone to do it if you can't.

All in all, it's a fun little game.

wilkesy83
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by wilkesy83 on Mar 13, 10 8:25 PM
I found this game quite boring and confusing, definitely not buying it :-(

Such a shame - it looked like it was going to be really good!

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Mar 13, 10 9:19 PM
AriadneSP wrote:And WHERE is "town" a higher population than "city" ?

Actually not "city" but city district... which is like a suburb of a city.

I played the full demo on this one and actually was enjoying it. Although it wasn't really a "building" game, it did have you thinking about where to place things if you wanted to get to "town" level. I didn't quite make it a few times. LOL But I did want to get as far into the demo as I could so that I would have something to say here... or rather, something sensible.

The object of the game is to set various buildings onto lots in such a way that you gain the most population possible. However, you are limited in numbers of the various buildings, so it isn't as easy as it sounds. "This building" next to "that building" will either increase or decrease the possible population of a house. Housing is limited as are the other types of "buildings" (there are also parks and playgrounds to put into place on various levels). In order to gain new types of buildings, you have to twist road pieces until you link one end with the other in a coherent road layout. That's the easy part!

As others have said, the language is often confusing, but having known and worked with many people who speak other languages, I have learned to decipher bad English, so it wasn't all that hard for me. The instructions were sometimes not clear, however if you clicked on the "Level" sign, there was a graphic instruction on how to place the various buildings, which made it much easier to understand the game. Or at least it was easier for me.

I think what I appreciated most about this game is it wasn't a HOG nor your average TM (and definitely NOT like Build-A-Lot). It is quite different and I enjoyed it partially for that very reason.

Go to: