playingthegame
Stingray
Stingray
4,895 Posts

Playing and listening

[Post New]by playingthegame on Aug 28, 16 3:27 AM
When playing MC what, if anything, do you listen to?
When I first started to play this game I had both the game's sounds and music on.
I soon found the music quite repetitive and turned that off.
The sound effects for some of the scenes are quite eerie and I kept them on for some time.
Even now I would recommend listening for those of you who have reached Atlantis.
But eventually I turned the MC sounds off and listen to my "kinds of music", mainly as background and for relaxing. Doing this I find I can play the game for hours at a time.
So are there any "special" sounds that you listen to when playing this fascinating game?

dandydog
Clownfish
Clownfish
803 Posts

Re:Playing and listening

[Post New]by dandydog on Aug 28, 16 4:42 AM
Fletcher here, Down here in the Moat, the Critters and I dance and play to "That Old Time Rock and Roll" Station. Hearing those Tunes, my feet take on their own beat and before I know it, I'm cavorting all around the place. Ahhhh, them where the "Good Old Days."

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Aug 28, 16 8:01 AM
I love the Castle's music, it's a big part of what attracted me to this game, so I always listen to it. It's soothing.
The sounds are wonderful, too - everywhere but the Limb - that creaking & cracking creeps me out!!!! I avoid going in there & if I absolutely have to, I turn the sounds OFF & just listen to the music while I'm in there. As soon as I leave, the sounds come back up full.

Acetoyou
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Acetoyou on Aug 28, 16 10:24 AM
I like listening to recorded books while doing HOS rounds. I discovered this during the Spring Event when we had to do the same HOS more than 1000 times (more if you had additional games). I could not force myself to sit and do that dang HOS until I put on a recorded book. I still do this when needing to do brainless activities in the game.

D_NY
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
411 Posts

[Post New]by D_NY on Aug 28, 16 11:07 AM
Sounds but not music. Same for any video game I play. I find the sounds intriguing but the music -- no matter how well done -- annoying. It really makes in hard for me to concentrate on the game play and, no, I can't for the life of me understand why. Makes no sense. But I have to turn it off. Love, love, love sound effects though and would hate to play a game that didn't have them.

I mostly play while I watch TV but still leave the sound effects on. They don't drown out the TV but I still hear them and like them. The drawback is most of TV you can follow without actually watching but now and then there are times I have to look up from my game. Especially bad during tournaments. If I'm Netflix, I can rewind but not so much live TV.

Maybe I should consider the books on tape instead. Or just make my Kindle read to me since it will do that albeit rather roboticly. Books on tape are better. And often add sound effects as well as hiring excellent voice actors to narrate.

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Aug 28, 16 11:46 AM
Love, love, love sound effects though and would hate to play a game that didn't have them.

The music in a game is absolutely critical to my enjoyment of it, & nothing ruins a good game for me faster than annoying sound effects!

I have otherwise entertaining games that I never play anymore or have deleted because I couldn't stand the sound effects or music. I've tried turning it off, of course, but the emptiness of the silence is not pleasing either. One game substituted slot machine sounds for the "belly dance" music I turned off! That's even worse!!!

My favorites that I go to day after day give me a choice of what I listen to. My jigsaw puzzles have a beautiful acoustic guitar that I just love. My coloring app has ocean waves & seagulls. I even finally found a sudoku app that has music that reminds me of Brian Eno. VERY tranquil!

WeeSam
Herring
Herring
306 Posts

[Post New]by WeeSam on Aug 28, 16 12:40 PM
I hate music on games. It is so repetitive and annoying. First thing I do when I buy a new game is turn the music off. The sound effects I will leave on as that adds to my enjoyment of the game. There was one game I was trying out that when you turned the music off, the sound effects were also turned off. That annoyed me as well, because I don't like the lack of sound either. Didn't buy that game because of its inability to turn one off and not the other.

Mostly, I have the TV going in the background.

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Aug 28, 16 4:38 PM
Depends on whether I need to think or not... when I'm gifting, I want silence... if it's just HO's, it's the radio..... if it's character questing... it's the sounds (music off, I want to hear nature).... If it's DQ's, depends on my mood, sometimes sounds, sometimes radio and sometimes silence....

Angelfish
Angelfish
1,060 Posts

[Post New]by 1457051 on Aug 28, 16 10:54 PM
I hate silence. So I usually have music on, Besides, if I have the sounds on too loud it kinda freaks my dog out

Sortilege
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by Sortilege on Aug 29, 16 2:25 AM
In the beginning I listened to the sounds and music of the game. When that got old I played in silence or listened to other music. Now sometimes I enjoy the sounds and music of the game. Other times I listen to the mountain lake or tropical beach at Calm or binge watch tv while playing. Depends on my mood I guess.

qbrn
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by qbrn on Aug 29, 16 3:11 AM
I turn on the radio and find my niche. This helps for the HOS scenes and especially the Tournaments. If Pink Floyd is playing...I'm even better.

D_NY
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
411 Posts

[Post New]by D_NY on Aug 29, 16 7:47 AM
This is an interesting and very telling thread. We're all over the place. No wonder they offer both music and sound effects and allow separate turn-offs!

Go to: